[Resolved] ]Lost 5* Strange, No help in sight.

Options

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Crnch73 said:
    d90 said:
    Um, didn't you say that you didn't delete it, and it was just gone overnight?
    How would more confirmation change that?
    Yes I maintain the fact that I did not delete it. Being pragmatic, I can say that it is possible that my account was accessed by someone else, or the dog stepped on it, or it bounced around in my pocket and was deleted in some other way. It's also possible that I sneezed at the exact moment the UI "are you sure" button popped up, and a droplet of spittle landed on the button, confirming it on my capacitive touch screen without my knowledge.

My point is that something as huge as selling a 5* champ should have more protection on it as it takes much longer to obtain and build than any other resource in the game, at this point in time. I would guess that the sale of 5* champ'd toons is rare to begin with. 

Though I believe you about not selling it on purpose... spittle does not activate a touch screen. That’s not how capactivite screens work, they aren’t that sensitive. In fact, liquid on the screen can make it unresponsive to your fingers because it creates a barrier between your screen and your finger. If a sneeze were involved, it would be more likely that your finger slipped due to the knee-jerk reaction during the sneeze. 

• Takanoyama
    Takanoyama Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Daiches said:
    A member of a friendly alliance sold his biggest character R&G4 inadvertently while trying to grind PVE and party on NYE at the same time. They said tough luck.

Hello all, this guy Daiches mentioned above is me.
    And I wasn't too drunk, just kept my phone in my back pocket between matches while being with friends... ;) Basically, I didn't sell my R4G, I've just discovered all of the sudden that he's gone and I have an extra slot and extra ISO.. I was just about to finish grinding of easy nodes with R4G+G4mora... (both were lvl 300+)..  Next thing I see when checking the end my roster is my still  "hearted" but "greyed out" R4G:
     https://imgur.com/a/sAyC2

So, I did not delete it, I did not sell it (just give me one reason why would I, having a bunch of maxed 3* and 2* and no immediate need for ISO (nothing to champ on horizon) and I am still trying to convince CS to restore him and take back that ISO from my account, that's all I want, basically. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• broll
    edited January 2018
    Options
    TBH you did sell him, you explained that pretty clearly in your message, it was just accidental.  Talk to @Brigby
  • Takanoyama
    Takanoyama Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @ broll: Technically you are correct, as I don't know how to remove a character from a roster other than hitting "Sell" button, but logically I disagree, because actual selling is a conscious act with reasons behind it. That's why I call it an accident, because likely it's my butt, that somehow managed to hit all needed keys and complete sale, although being physically attached to me - still doesn't have neither conscience nor reasons for such actions. But I'll try to talk to it so it won't happen again ;-)
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm glad there was a resolution to this, but I'd like to hear if they're actually going to change anything about the process.  Cases like this shouldn't really ever need to come up in the first place.
    I hope you are refering to the way cs handled it. Because to me, the game doesnt need more confirmation prompts, just because some are careless with their phones. 

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would hate to see that happening to me -- all hard work gone due to unpredictable situations. At least, you got a compensation that you felt satisfied with.

As for requesting D3 to put in more measurements or to improve the current measurement to prevent similar cases like yours from happening, I believe that D3 has enough statistics over the past 4 years to determine if the number of occurrences have hit a certain threshold. Probably, the number of occurrences are not high enough to enforce a stronger protective measurement and the current strategy is good enough. 

Let's look at the process of how characters have to be sold once you are in the game. 

Step 1: click "Roster"
    Step 2: click the specific character.
    Step 3: click "Sell for ..."
    Step 4: click "Sell for..." again in the pop-up.

Personally, I think 4 steps are reasonably enough to prevent accidental deletion. If we have to type in words, it would be 5 steps. It's might be tedious for both players and maybe their servers' speed as well. Let's not forget that spelling mistakes are common, especially on smartphones.

It might sound harsh but I don't think D3's responsibilities include preventing your child(ren)/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/sleepiness/drunkness/your smartphone clicking randomly for you while it's in your pocket/ from accidentally deleting your characters. I think it's more of a personal responsibility, rather than D3's responsibility to solve the above mentioned scenario. Set a password on your smartphone close the game completely or hide the game when you are not playing it. 

• maltyo9
    maltyo9 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If some people feel that some sort of extra step that helps prevent the unwanted selling of characters is warranted, I have no issue with it.  Just make it an option you can turn on and off, like animations...
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    An option to lock one's roster, as suggested by @spectator, above, solves the problem for everyone, I think.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    4-corner PIN.

After you click sell, you get a message with a randomized 4 digit code (eg. 2413), and instructions to tap numbered buttons that appear in the 4 corners of the screen in the specified order. Nothing to remember, no setting of your own PIN  - just follow the instructions on-screen. 

Easy to implement, easy to understand, difficult to screw up, and easy to use for multiple purposes (for instance, I've accidentally tapped that "sell all covers" button with multiple 4* and/or 5* covers in the queue more often than the I care to admit). 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    4-corner PIN.

After you click sell, you get a message with a randomized 4 digit code (eg. 2413), and instructions to tap numbered buttons that appear in the 4 corners of the screen in the specified order. Nothing to remember, no setting of your own PIN  - just follow the instructions on-screen. 

Easy to implement, easy to understand, difficult to screw up, and easy to use for multiple purposes (for instance, I've accidentally tapped that "sell all covers" button with multiple 4* and/or 5* covers in the queue more often than the I care to admit). 
    Great idea.
    Until you realize they'd implement it for all tiers, so you'd have to do that whenever you sell your 1* trash, too.

Game is fine without additional confirmation stuff.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I used to think that accidentally selling chars was a rare and unique situation that involved “adult beverages ”.  But the fact that players have to consistently roster and sell 1*/2* chars means the chances of accident selling a valuable char  are now much more common.  Pre championing, players never sold “finished chars”.  Just covers in a que.  now with championing,  you need to actively trim rosters of surplus champs.  I personally have sold the wrong two star baby champ on MULTIPLE occasions.  And I can certainly see how noob players might misunderstand posts and sell 5* bW instead of 1* mbw
  • Acb13adm
    Acb13adm Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I would hate to see that happening to me -- all hard work gone due to unpredictable situations. At least, you got a compensation that you felt satisfied with.

As for requesting D3 to put in more measurements or to improve the current measurement to prevent similar cases like yours from happening, I believe that D3 has enough statistics over the past 4 years to determine if the number of occurrences have hit a certain threshold. Probably, the number of occurrences are not high enough to enforce a stronger protective measurement and the current strategy is good enough. 

Let's look at the process of how characters have to be sold once you are in the game. 

Step 1: click "Roster"
    Step 2: click the specific character.
    Step 3: click "Sell for ..."
    Step 4: click "Sell for..." again in the pop-up.

Personally, I think 4 steps are reasonably enough to prevent accidental deletion. If we have to type in words, it would be 5 steps. It's might be tedious for both players and maybe their servers' speed as well. Let's not forget that spelling mistakes are common, especially on smartphones.

It might sound harsh but I don't think D3's responsibilities include preventing your child(ren)/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/sleepiness/drunkness/your smartphone clicking randomly for you while it's in your pocket/ from accidentally deleting your characters. I think it's more of a personal responsibility, rather than D3's responsibility to solve the above mentioned scenario. Set a password on your smartphone close the game completely or hide the game when you are not playing it. 

I might be tempted to vote for that "personal responsibility ", as soon as device engineers start using sense... I've had a lot of droids, and most of them register some kind of edges touches, even when I am actually concentrated on holding it's non-existent edges.
    Lately these gen-i-uses have added all sorts of capability for your device to wake up, activate screen & access apps from a locked screen, from any sort of contact while in you coat / pocket. Oh, and though not documented, those same pocket barely touches can switch you from supposedly limited apps to others.

Add in many events even a responsible person could have happen, & I'll stick with ANY app/game should have a backup & restore points ... You get to undo some things, but you lose the accompanying progress, fair enough 

• MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    4-corner PIN.

Great idea.
    Until you realize they'd implement it for all tiers, so you'd have to do that whenever you sell your 1* trash, too.

Game is fine without additional confirmation stuff.

/shrug, I don't sell my 1* characters at all (juggernaut is fine, thanks) - perhaps you meant champed 2* characters, which are farmed and sold routinely? And I sell my 1* covers in bulk on a daily basis, and I'd still like a confirmation PIN on the "sell all covers" button (as I mentioned, it's very easy to accidentally tap it with all covers selected).

The actual number of extra daily taps would be pretty small. I get the "personal responsibility" argument, but this wouldn't be an onerous extra layer of security. 
  • broll
    Options
    @ broll: Technically you are correct, as I don't know how to remove a character from a roster other than hitting "Sell" button, but logically I disagree, because actual selling is a conscious act with reasons behind it. That's why I call it an accident, because likely it's my butt, that somehow managed to hit all needed keys and complete sale, although being physically attached to me - still doesn't have neither conscience nor reasons for such actions. But I'll try to talk to it so it won't happen again ;-)
    I'm sorry but If I'm playing wii and I accidentally throw the controller and hit the TV you can't say you didn't throw it because no conscious choice was made.  

You hit the sell button, you hit the are you sure button, you received ISO, HP, and a roster slot.  You sold the character.  it was accidental but clearly a sale took place.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I always close the app when I'm not playing it. Maybe others should do the same in future. 
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I always close the app when I'm not playing it. Maybe others should do the same in future. 
    PokemonGo has the ability to lock a character to keep from being sold.  It is not being unreasonable to ask for this.

Sometimes people need to stop what they are doing and put the phone in their pocket or something.  

I don't always close the game when I'm not playing it, maybe you should do the same in the future?  
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PokemonGo has the ability to lock a character to keep from being sold.  It is not being unreasonable to ask for this.

Sometimes people need to stop what they are doing and put the phone in their pocket or something.  

I don't always close the game when I'm not playing it, maybe you should do the same in the future?  
    I get people not closing the game, but surely everyone locks the screen when putting the phone into their pockets?
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

I get people not closing the game, but surely everyone locks the screen when putting the phone into their pockets?
    As a grown man, i have no problem admitting i sometimes have butter fingers.  Stone sober, sitting on the couch, normal temperature.  I just might lean over for the remote, or my water, or to pet the pets.  Either way, my grip on the phone makes a goofy touch across the screen.  I've almost purchased heroic packs, deleted characters, etc.  

I'm not saying they need to input a 10 digit password, receive a text or email confirmation, or anything another crazy idea.  Just an option to lock a character from being accidentally sold.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think typing DELETE to confirm a sell is perfect.  Blizzard does this with Wow and Diablo.  Requiring a pin is absurd.

Nick441234 said:

There's benefits for not closing the app.  So no, they won't do what you tell them to do with their phones.