R141 Release Notes (12/7/17)

Comments

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nowhere in the initial post does it say that the patch will be released on December 4th. Just because most patches are released on the Monday doesn't mean they have done anything wrong by this one being released later. 
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Nowhere in the initial post does it say that the patch will be released on December 4th. Just because most patches are released on the Monday doesn't mean they have done anything wrong by this one being released later. 
    Well aware of purposeful omissions.  Also aware of the disclaimers they usually release in these notifications as well.

Nothing would have been mentioned by Brigby if their hadn't been an expectation that it would occur on Monday.  

Read the rather snide replies to people inquiring  when the update would occur.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited December 2017
    *Please keep all comments civil and constructive! Thank you!

@BlackWidower We apologize for the inconvenience, however the issue causing the delay wasn't an occurrence we had anticipated. This delay is simply to fix this one issue, so players do not encounter it post-release.

As of right now, we do not plan to change any of the content being released in the R141 update. I understand that many players anticipate release days to be on Mondays, however due to extenuating circumstances, please consider the R141 Pre-Release Notes to be an extended advance notice period, rather than the usual 2 or 3. 
  • ramoramo86
    ramoramo86 Posts: 89 Match Maker
    edited December 2017
    Brigby said:
    *Please keep all comments civil and constructive! Thank you!

@BlackWidower We apologize for the inconvenience, however the issue causing the delay wasn't an occurrence we had anticipated. This delay is simply to fix this one issue, so players do not encounter it post-release.

As of right now, we do not plan to change any of the content being released in the R141 update. I understand that many players anticipate release days to be on Mondays, however due to extenuating circumstances, please consider the R141 Pre-Release Notes to be an extended advance notice period, rather than the usual 2 or 3. 

WOW!!!! Did someone “accidentally” open the new patch and found a bug? Imagine what would happen if patches and new events were actually tested prior to release? (insert mind blown GIF here) 

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    Considering which bugs weren't considered game breaking enough to hold back a patch release, I can only imagine HOW bad this must be. Wow.
    I suspect this one would have to permanently erase the OS on your device considering how messed up some patches have been when released.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Coding results in a form of blindness not unlike a kind of confirmation bias. It can be simply IMPOSSIBLE to spot even quite glaring bugs. It is a form of writing, and there is simply nothing harder than proofing your own writing...

It's just good luck they caught the bug(s), I bet. And thank goodness for that. It is WAY, WAY better to be delayed than stuck with a broken game. And I, too, am freaking desperate to get me hands on that animations off-switch... (See what I did, there? lol)
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Reality check:

The update notes were posted on Friday, as usual, after the devs had packed up for the weekend and the update was submitted for first party approval.

You really think they did internal testing after that?

My guess is Apple found something that's a no-go (because Google and Steam both don't test), that's why the update was delayed.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    I wonder if the final node in sim was made in anticipation of us being able to turn off animations. I think that would have been a great node for us to test out and REALLY appreciate the new feature!  

Gambit autogenerates AP
    Gambit spams red
    OML animations-  drops strikes
    Professor X animations-  drops his three tiles, Gambit casts purple
    CPU finally makes a match...

These turns take forever!!
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    mexus said:

Why would you release information about something that is potentially bugged?  It would only make sense to have tested this out prior to releasing the information - especially on something that is impending.  If it was tested properly, there wouldn't be any bugs come the date when it was supposed to be implemented.  It's not like this needed to be rushed.

Trust me, my "feeling are not hurt".  This forum just doesn't allow me to share an accurate take on this situation.
    Bugs happen. Often they're identified in the final testing stages. It was good they caught the bug and put the release on hold for a few days so that the bug can be fixed. Better for us, we don't need another bug. Better for them, it's not fun having to draw back a release.
    It's not like they promised to release the update a particular day either.

Yes, you are totally right.
    My team does something similar, in which we plan and prepare the entire company for potential changes.
    We become the first adopters and test, then we have early adopters and then we test with that team and then gradually implement from there.
    This is a COMPLETELY different dynamic. 

I admit, I forced my own rigid (and undoubtedly unrealistic) standards upon a company that probably has nowhere near the resources we do.

TLDR; I was wrong and will shut up now.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    mexus said:
    mexus said:

Why would you release information about something that is potentially bugged?  It would only make sense to have tested this out prior to releasing the information - especially on something that is impending.  If it was tested properly, there wouldn't be any bugs come the date when it was supposed to be implemented.  It's not like this needed to be rushed.

Trust me, my "feeling are not hurt".  This forum just doesn't allow me to share an accurate take on this situation.
    Bugs happen. Often they're identified in the final testing stages. It was good they caught the bug and put the release on hold for a few days so that the bug can be fixed. Better for us, we don't need another bug. Better for them, it's not fun having to draw back a release.
    It's not like they promised to release the update a particular day either.

Yes, you are totally right.
    My team does something similar, in which we plan and prepare the entire company for potential changes.
    We become the first adopters and test, then we have early adopters and then we test with that team and then gradually implement from there.
    This is a COMPLETELY different dynamic. 

I admit, I forced my own rigid (and undoubtedly unrealistic) standards upon a company that probably has nowhere near the resources we do.

TLDR; I was wrong and will shut up now.
    *not sure if mad, passive aggressive, sarcastic or actually starting to chill and accept the situation*
    You left out the most obvious answer: correct.

Some people take pride in what they do and hold others to the same standards. Its a tough life because there are far more incompetent, half-tinykitty out there than rational, accountable people. But we'd be living in Idiocracy now if we still didn't have a few.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017

Well, Steam is now busily downloading a 753.1 MB "update" of MPQ...

It's 141, there's now a Character Effects check box in the Options screen.

• Beer40
    Well, there's a new one for the 'tinykitty' filter LOL ... 2 posts up ^
    Hey, thanks for that. Got jailed awhile back because of their filter not catching a word. Of course, it was my fault, not theirs  ;)

Just got warned this morning for making a joke, don't need to be jailed again. Trying to avoid Barney Fife for now.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,764 Chairperson of the Boards

Well, Steam is now busily downloading a 753.1 MB "update" of MPQ...

It's 141, there's now a Character Effects check box in the Options screen.

753.1 MB? Mine's 1.8 GB, I've been waiting for 17 minutes now... man this game would have been great playing over a dial-up network!
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Android's updated too.

And just to confirm, it's not just "not playing animations", the downtime's gone too.

Couldn't imagine a better christmas present from MPQ  :)
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starfury said:
    Android's updated too.

And just to confirm, it's not just "not playing animations", the downtime's gone too.

What do you mean by downtime?

Also, c’mon already iOS!
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Updated to Final Release Notes, and added an additional change to the list
  • Beer40
    Daredevil217 said:
    Starfury said:
    Android's updated too.

What do you mean by downtime?

Also, c’mon already iOS!
    Ummm, everything is faster it appears. Like this is a serious speed boost.