R141 Release Notes (12/7/17)

Comments

• gentgeen
    gentgeen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    I really do like the changes, like many have said, I would not mind seeing a tiny tweak to two of them .... 

Turning animation off = I see the benefit, but why?  I am a Marvel fan, I want to see the Marvel characters - otherwise I would just grab some other silly match 3 game. 

I would much prefer to see a 3 option switch:   All Animation off, All On, Passives Off.  The third option would show me the passive animation the first time it fired during that match, but be quiet the rest of the time.  (I don't need to see Medusa fling her hair at me 100 times in a 1 min match).

Heath Bar = have to say I liked the + better, because you had an easy reference for estimating the percentages. (3 parts gave you thirds, and the smaller center section made it easier to determine the 50%)   And with DD, Punisher, etc all having powers based on percent of health it was very helpful.  So some kind of percentage needs to be added (put back on)

All the other changes -- LOVE IT!!  (and thank you for the 'rotate' button, I always fat fingered that.  To the point where sometimes I would just deal with who ever was  in front instead of trying to get the change to happen)

• The Finn
    The Finn Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Some games with heavy animations allow for FF 2 or 3X option so that you still see them, they just finish very quickly. That would be my ideal. Without the animations, it feels weird to make the pew pew sound effects when the powers go off.  >_>
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    The animation switch is so wonderful I almost forgive the developer for vaulting.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    gentgeen said:
    Turning animation off = I see the benefit, but why?  I am a Marvel fan, I want to see the Marvel characters - otherwise I would just grab some other silly match 3 game. 

This is my sentiment as well. Never bothered turning off the animations because then it doesn't even feel like MPQ anymore.

To each his own though.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Once you have seen daken attack 2000 times you don't need to see 2000 more times.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    I'm all for speed, so I turned off the animations. But I'd turn them back on if they were faster like with Kaecilius.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Once you have seen daken attack 2000 times you don't need to see 2000 more times.
    This is basically where I am and I have them turned off. But I certainly understand those who are "massive Marvel fans" and the like who want them turned on.

This distinction among us parallels the distinction to be made w/r/t the animations generally: they have two functions, one aesthetic and one practical. The aesthetic function is pretty obvious. The practical function, I've learned, is important. It notifies me that an important event has taken place. But getting the latter through the former burns a lot of time.

I think it is reasonable to say that most of us value the practical function. And a pretty high percentage of those who do but don't care too much about the aesthetic element don't mind the latter  -- what we mind is the time it takes (in my case, I like the animations but nowhere nearly as much as I hate the loss of the time they burn).

I don't really think we need a middle ground, though of course one would be welcome. Possibilities include: (1) A "play once" animations regime. (2) Faster animations. (3) Another form of notification of a power firing.

Anyhow, just some thoughts. I love this change and seriously doubt I will turn animations back on, ever. But I do miss them for their aesthetic value -- there is a LOT of creativity and effort that go into them and I truly appreciate that. Plus they're very frequently attractive and pleasing on many levels.
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 603 Critical Contributor
    The Shroud would be cool, but I haven't seen him on about 15 years, though he would match the home.

Just throwing something different out there for a guess, to try to keep that part of the need alive.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that everyone is celebrating the option of not playing character ability animations, can the discussion revert to speculation about the patch's tagline and what the new loading screen might mean?

"Treading the line between light and dark”

I think I'm just more interested if the loading screen with 3* deadpool, 4* gamora, and 5* green goblin have anything to do with this line.  More than likely, I'm reading too much into this, but I'm wondering if this has any significance towards a higher character rarity.  I guess this since the characters don't seem to be related in any way. 

Then again, it might just be the characters are being used for their colors of red and green which seasonally goes with xmas season.

Huh, I just realized they could do an x-men x-mas.  Then again, that's probably what the Simulator pve event is for.
    I believe last year's holiday load screen was 4* Ice, 3* Hulk and...one other unforgettable guy...  I wouldn't read too much into it.

Anyway, my guess for the new character is 4* Loki shapeshifted as Cat-Thor.  Sure there's literally no chance of this being right, but I'm sticking to it...
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m guessing Namor treading = water. And he constantly switches between hero and villain. 
  • goldPepe
    goldPepe Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    New health bar looks poor :-(
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    goldPepe said:
    I much much much prefer function over fashion. I consider them a big improvement. 
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    goldPepe said:
    I much much much prefer function over fashion. I consider them a big improvement. 
    Does it really offer any functional improvement over the cross though, neither of them have any kind of markings for percentages or better still a percent display integrated into the health bar itself, so that only actually leaves fashion as the deciding factor.  :)
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Crowl said:
    broll said:
    goldPepe said:
    Does it really offer any functional improvement over the cross though, neither of them have any kind of markings for percentages or better still a percent display integrated into the health bar itself, so that only actually leaves fashion as the deciding factor.  :)
    I would argue the cross was functionally better since the cross basically divided the bar into thirds making it easier to approximate some fractions
  • broll
    Crowl said:
    broll said:
    goldPepe said:
    A percentage would be much better but I find this far easier to tell that the cross.  
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hadronic said:
    Crowl said:
    broll said:
    goldPepe said:
    I would argue the cross was functionally better since the cross basically divided the bar into thirds making it easier to approximate some fractions
    Further, the cross shape says "Health." Redundancy in a user interface is a good thing. There are several places the orange bars show up (seeing enemy teams in PVP, when selecting characters for your team, etc) that you can infer they mean health, but they mostly just appear to be random orange bars. People who know what they mean are fine, but it could be confusing to a new player, unnecessarily so.

But that doesn't necessarily mean just going back to the old cross. There could be some middle ground, placing a cross symbol adjacent to the bar, or a percentage text on the bar, maybe doing a gradient from green to yellow to red as health depletes, or other things that make it stand out a little better.
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    After playing it for a while without animations I turned them back on. It was very disorientating to see huge swaths of health just disappear and I realised I used animation time to plan my next move. Without the animation to focus the thinking it just turned into a cartoony swap 3 game and made for lack of engagement. I would however would like to see the cut scenes go, since we have seen them all and there are more taps to get past them than in some nodes.  
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    wish i could just turn off my animations but still leave the enemies animations on.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will echo what others have said in that I find it confusing at times to know what happened on a given turn. I lost huge amounts of health in a recent PvP, and had no idea why, until I remembered I was using Thanos and Court Death. 

I still think I'd rather keep them off. I'd rather try to just keep on my toes about everyone's powers than spend forever looking at animations I've seen a million times.

Of course, I might change my mind on new releases, where I might not understand the new powers yet. 
  • broll
    After playing it for a while without animations I turned them back on. It was very disorientating to see huge swaths of health just disappear and I realised I used animation time to plan my next move. Without the animation to focus the thinking it just turned into a cartoony swap 3 game and made for lack of engagement. I would however would like to see the cut scenes go, since we have seen them all and there are more taps to get past them than in some nodes.  
    Same here. I couldn’t do more than 24 hours that way. It was painfully dull.