R141 Release Notes (12/7/17)

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    So when is the new update. Excited to try all this new goodness!
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    So when is the new update. Excited to try all this new goodness!
    Like every other patch in the last 4 years, Monday.
  • Danny_yuu77
    Danny_yuu77 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    When s the update ?
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    When s the update ?
    Read above your post
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,190 Chairperson of the Boards
    <3<3<3

This is one of the greatest changes ever to the game. In fact this change and the recent UI change for mobile have been in my opinion 2 of the most important changes in the last couple of years (along with champion levels).

Every time there has been a survey I've always asked for UI / animation changes over any nerf/balances/new characters etc. I've long known that it would be UI / animation frustrations that would ultimately drive me from the game. These changes are reasons why I won't be leaving anytime soon.

KGB
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Delighted for the animation change. I actually quite enjoy the animations, but they go on so long that I value the save in time more. 
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    zodiac339 said:
    STOPTHIS said:
    ALSO, A CLUE! It's been ages. My first guess for this would have been Cloak & Dagger, but we obviously already have them. Based on the fact that Christmas is coming up, I believe they'll be running the Apocalypse Boss event again. They also mentioned that we'd be seeing more X-Men before the year was up, did they not? Based on that, I'm expecting another X-Men character. Possibilities include:

1) KITTY PRYDE / SHADOWCAT.
    2) Magik (another teleporter that literally enters Limbo / a demon dimension when teleporting.)
    3) Angel / Archangel (if we are getting the Apocalypse boss event again AND a 3/5* release, he'd be the most obvious choice to me. I'd very happily welcome him to the game, even if it means postponing Kitty Pryde even longer.
    4) AoA Nightcrawler or Dark Beast. Since we just got a Nightcrawler, he's unlikely. I would like a playable 4* Beast, however.
    Cloak & Dagger was my first thought too, but I assume if we get a variant of them it'll be closer to when the show comes out. As much as I love the Kitty Pryde idea, it's got to be Angel. Only one of the O5 left, has a light and dark side, and Christmas is the perfect time for Angels.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more likely it feels. The question now is if it'd be a 3*/5* split or just a single 4* or 5* version that has a mechanic in which Angel transforms into Archangel when a certain requirement is met, replacing all of his powers (presumably for the rest of the battle, as it's not a switch-back-and-forth-on-a-whim transformation.) If it's 3*/5*, the 3* wouldn't be able to just be a lazy version of the 5* version though, so that's pretty interesting.
    Transformation immediately spawns the horrible thought of a long animation depicting his injury, the amputation of his wings, Apocalypse showing up and offering his hand, finishing with the revelation of Archangel. Though if it’s treading between light and dark, it’s more “is he Death, or is he Archangel?”
    If I remember correctly in the x-force run he got the ability to switch between angel and archangel so the switching powers would make sense
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    I was super hungover this morning doing DPD and Moonstone's swirling around animation came up, which makes me scream obscenities on the best of days, today it was unbearable (not sure why Moonstone's animation always makes me feel so stabby) - so this news could not have come at a better time!

And honestly, what is with that drag queen sashay that Carnage's red does (no offence to drag queens)?

I am probably the only person on the planet who thinks this, but I also find Grocket 4's green tediously insipid (BTW, the animators do an awesome job and yes, it is cute, but I just want to get on with it).  

Then you have animations with characters that play before the game even starts, like Peggy and useless Hulk.  If you play PVP featuring either of those characters and you have to endure it twice (and then you will get someone who will use both of them) and add that to the load times we keep facing on iOS and it's really just not playing the game, it's enduring it.

This is especially painful on those days when your friends are sitting there waiting for you and you're not even looking up from your screen, pleading "just a few minutes, I'm almost finished my clears" and they look at you like they're about to hold an intervention.... sigh.
    I can't imagine how people with spouses manage not to end up in divorce court.

So, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!
    Best news ever. 
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I hate that it’s not optional really. If you want to compete no animations will be mandatory now.

Might as well save the money to even create them.
    No animations will also take away a lot of the Marvel flair imo.
    I think it would have been way better to make them play only once per match or at 2x the speed or just leave them be.

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Love that we can turn off animations, but when are we gonna get a scrollable roster selection menu. Absolutely hate clocking the little arrow.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    smkspy said:
    Love that we can turn off animations, but when are we gonna get a scrollable roster selection menu. Absolutely hate clocking the little arrow.
    Love this idea, have you mentioned it in feedback, see if it has any traction with others.
    Also would love to have preset team creators, so that I don't have to keep fishing out my go-to teams, or if I want to flip flop between them.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I hate that it’s not optional really. If you want to compete no animations will be mandatory now.

Might as well save the money to even create them.
    No animations will also take away a lot of the Marvel flair imo.
    I think it would have been way better to make them play only once per match or at 2x the speed or just leave them be.

For the 95% of players who aren't going for top 50, it's still absolutely optional.

If they still deactivate them, it's because they don't want to see them, not because they can't afford to.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Great changes!

One minor suggestion with the health bar. The health number is shown below the bar. How about also showing the Health percentage above/in the health bar.

All in all great improvements. QoL changes always appreciated
  • Carnifexx
    Carnifexx Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Light and dark? Taskmasters costume is black and white! (And yellow, don’t forget yellow. *Shut up you!) Finally Taskmaster comes to MPQ! 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Plot twist. They're disabling animations because they want to bring back Heroic events and they thought that not having to suffer through a billion Daken animations would make fighting the Dark Avengers easier for people to deal with.

Anyway, I like the idea of an animation playing once before it gets disabled for the rest of the match. Maybe they can add that as an option later on.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    quality of life improvements keep coming! kudos to that!

one thing i'd like to see is a 'repeat battle' button that shows up after you win during the 'victory' banner. restarts the node from the start without going through all the claim rewards screens, back to the sub screen and through the character select screens and all that. that would be a huge time saver.   
  • uberhamster
    uberhamster Posts: 96 Match Maker
    jredd said:

one thing i'd like to see is a 'repeat battle' button that shows up after you win during the 'victory' banner. restarts the node from the start without going through all the claim rewards screens, back to the sub screen and through the character select screens and all that. that would be a huge time saver.   
    Or even better, opt to do up to 4 at once as waves!
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd said:

Or even better, opt to do up to 4 at once as waves!
    I'd take this if it came with both points and rewards multipliers.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    So how do you turn the animations off? I tried go to options but there's no mention of animations there.