R141 Release Notes (12/7/17)

Comments

• TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    It would seem weird to not be closer to Ragnorak, but in the comics Hela wields the Twilight Sword - twilight literally being "between light and dark"...
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Darn, would love it if we could select which animations to turn off. for instance, Moonstone - off. Mockingbird - on. Always on ;)
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will art be replaced by a banner? And slightly reduce matches in length time instead of speeding up insanely like the best case scenario people are envisioning here?

I think it will. And here's an example why.
    Remember all those noob questions about cheating AI that got AP without matching tiles? Because they don't understand how Goons work? Maybe you have that same issue when you were a seal. Ok?

Now imagine you are fighting a Bolt team (they just gave out his covers like free candy, so odds are good you're seeing him often in Qs).
    Suddenly the board reshuffles like happens when there are no more matches available on the board. Except.. wait.. why re my characters dead/gravely wounded? This is ****! The AI Cheats!!!!

or Bolt screamed. They'll never know.

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Nice UI changes. Can we get an option to show health percentage number?  Maybe a toggle between HP and %. 

Also I’m not a fan of the ability to disable animations. (Imagine that I have an unpopular opinion). Now anyone that wants to be even slightly competitive has to turn them off like it or not.  I enjoy them, but now I won’t be seeing them anymore. It’s a shame. 
    They could easily show the percentage on the bar and would obviously be helpful for the powers where it is relevant.

If you like them but want to be competitive then there is still DDQ for you to put them back on.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    It says you can disable animations. It says nothing about speeding up the game ... don't jump to conclusions :D
    Came here to mention the same thing. I won't be setting any expectations prior to personally experiencing the change.
  • MCUinmyPants
    MCUinmyPants Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Banners.. all banners.. everywhere
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    ALSO, A CLUE! It's been ages. My first guess for this would have been Cloak & Dagger, but we obviously already have them. Based on the fact that Christmas is coming up, I believe they'll be running the Apocalypse Boss event again. They also mentioned that we'd be seeing more X-Men before the year was up, did they not? Based on that, I'm expecting another X-Men character. Possibilities include:

1) KITTY PRYDE / SHADOWCAT.
    2) Magik (another teleporter that literally enters Limbo / a demon dimension when teleporting.)
    3) Angel / Archangel (if we are getting the Apocalypse boss event again AND a 3/5* release, he'd be the most obvious choice to me. I'd very happily welcome him to the game, even if it means postponing Kitty Pryde even longer.
    4) AoA Nightcrawler or Dark Beast. Since we just got a Nightcrawler, he's unlikely. I would like a playable 4* Beast, however.
    Cloak & Dagger was my first thought too, but I assume if we get a variant of them it'll be closer to when the show comes out. As much as I love the Kitty Pryde idea, it's got to be Angel. Only one of the O5 left, has a light and dark side, and Christmas is the perfect time for Angels.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    No animations is HUGE.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Banners.. all banners.. everywhere
    Are you saying 5 star Hulk gets an upgrade?
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    STOPTHIS said:
    ALSO, A CLUE! It's been ages. My first guess for this would have been Cloak & Dagger, but we obviously already have them. Based on the fact that Christmas is coming up, I believe they'll be running the Apocalypse Boss event again. They also mentioned that we'd be seeing more X-Men before the year was up, did they not? Based on that, I'm expecting another X-Men character. Possibilities include:

2) Magik (another teleporter that literally enters Limbo / a demon dimension when teleporting.)
    3) Angel / Archangel (if we are getting the Apocalypse boss event again AND a 3/5* release, he'd be the most obvious choice to me. I'd very happily welcome him to the game, even if it means postponing Kitty Pryde even longer.
    4) AoA Nightcrawler or Dark Beast. Since we just got a Nightcrawler, he's unlikely. I would like a playable 4* Beast, however.
    Cloak & Dagger was my first thought too, but I assume if we get a variant of them it'll be closer to when the show comes out. As much as I love the Kitty Pryde idea, it's got to be Angel. Only one of the O5 left, has a light and dark side, and Christmas is the perfect time for Angels.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more likely it feels. The question now is if it'd be a 3*/5* split or just a single 4* or 5* version that has a mechanic in which Angel transforms into Archangel when a certain requirement is met, replacing all of his powers (presumably for the rest of the battle, as it's not a switch-back-and-forth-on-a-whim transformation.) If it's 3*/5*, the 3* wouldn't be able to just be a lazy version of the 5* version though, so that's pretty interesting.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, and if it is in fact Archangel, he needs Uncanny X-Force affiliation. I really want to fill out that team, with a 4* Psylocke, AoA Nightcrawler, and FANTOMEX (he was my write-in request on the poll.)
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS said:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more likely it feels. The question now is if it'd be a 3*/5* split or just a single 4* or 5* version that has a mechanic in which Angel transforms into Archangel when a certain requirement is met, replacing all of his powers (presumably for the rest of the battle, as it's not a switch-back-and-forth-on-a-whim transformation.) If it's 3*/5*, the 3* wouldn't be able to just be a lazy version of the 5* version though, so that's pretty interesting.
    Transformation immediately spawns the horrible thought of a long animation depicting his injury, the amputation of his wings, Apocalypse showing up and offering his hand, finishing with the revelation of Archangel. Though if it’s treading between light and dark, it’s more “is he Death, or is he Archangel?”
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    New changes look boss.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don’t see why so many people are upset that they are allowing us to skip animations. I suppose they would prefer if they removed the ability to skip cutscene chats and everyone had to read through the story every time you played a node.

Thanks devs for the QoL change!
    Everyone should also have to answer a multiple choice quiz after clearing each node on the content of the storyline before and after that fight.  Getting a question wrong reduces the number of points earned.
    Or they could play slice 5 and lose points just because...
  • Newmanium
    Newmanium Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2017
    Newmanium said:
    Wow! Now I don't get to see animations OR read storylines if I wanna place decently in PvE! Why am I playing this game again...?  :/

I also like the health % idea. Would be helpful with Drax, Yondu etc...
    How much time is it really gonna shave off?? I don't play super competitive but I'll do max progression and still usually finish in the top 100. I for one will be turning animations off but I wouldn't expect to suddenly drop out of the top 100 if I decided to leave them on. 

I think it's great their finally focusing on little changes like these. They seem small but go a long way in keeping players happy and interested in the game.
    During a flip today, 23 people finished the clear before me and within 5 minutes, over 50 people had done full clears and that is with only about 100 people having joined all at once. Have you tried to get more than just one cover for a new character recently? 5-10 minutes is the difference between that. "Oh it is just one cover. Who cares?" I have had Wasp at 5/2/5 for about 4 months now. 1 cover does matter and can take forever to come around again.

At least everyone  was on the same page before this. A few animations were the uncontrollable X factor that everyone suffered. It is getting even MORE about mindless matching than a fun mobile game featuring Marvel's Best and Brightest. Isn't that bad? Why play THIS game if you are just matching tiles? Cuz you get to see half (now with extending AP bar!) an avatar of what you think is a Marvel character? Lame, man...

Next will be the cascades that show after a match ends will be removed. Those can add 10-30 seconds to the end of a match and everyone knows what can happen in 10-30 seconds during the top end of pvp.
    *Note* To be fair, I would very much like this over the animation toggle. It is just another quirk that made the game.
  • feraldayor
    feraldayor Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Light and dark... 5* Punisher?
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Newmanium said:
    Newmanium said:
    Wow! Now I don't get to see animations OR read storylines if I wanna place decently in PvE! Why am I playing this game again...?  :/

I also like the health % idea. Would be helpful with Drax, Yondu etc...
    How much time is it really gonna shave off?? I don't play super competitive but I'll do max progression and still usually finish in the top 100. I for one will be turning animations off but I wouldn't expect to suddenly drop out of the top 100 if I decided to leave them on. 

I think it's great their finally focusing on little changes like these. They seem small but go a long way in keeping players happy and interested in the game.
    During a flip today, 23 people finished the clear before me and within 5 minutes, over 50 people had done full clears and that is with only about 100 people having joined all at once. Have you tried to get more than just one cover for a new character recently? 5-10 minutes is the difference between that. "Oh it is just one cover. Who cares?" I have had Wasp at 5/2/5 for about 4 months now. 1 cover does matter and can take forever to come around again.

At least everyone  was on the same page before this. A few animations were the uncontrollable X factor that everyone suffered. It is getting even MORE about mindless matching than a fun mobile game featuring Marvel's Best and Brightest. Isn't that bad? Why play THIS game if you are just matching tiles? Cuz you get to see half (now with extending AP bar!) an avatar of what you think is a Marvel character? Lame, man...

Next will be the cascades that show after a match ends will be removed. Those can add 10-30 seconds to the end of a match and everyone knows what can happen in 10-30 seconds during the top end of pvp.
    *Note* To be fair, I would very much like this over the animation toggle. It is just another quirk that made the game.
    And everyone is still on the same page. Either keep animations or turn it off. No one is forced to keep them on. Just like no one is forced to watch the cut scenes that occur before matches and after matches. If it is YOUR preference to keep animations on, cool. Don’t force us to have to deal with daken and moonstone any longer. It’s been one of the longest requested features for a reason.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Dude. Vastly improved AP bar, and now further quality changes to the UI? And we can turn off animations?

Anybody else feel like this means we're due for a really bad change next?

On the real though, so many characters will be SO much better with animations off. Medusa, Carnage, Cage, hell even Gambit, as if he needed to be better.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I’ll miss Medusa’s animations actually. For... reasons. But I can gladly avoid Carnage matches where each turn starts with a “Five Nights at Cassidy’s” jump scare. And with Coulson, Hawkeye pairings, the animations take a lot less time than the banners do.