Update to Versus Tournament Progression Rewards (11/15/17)

Options

Comments

• bOmbast
    bOmbast Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Try finding your floating point. No use climbing much above it - for instance, I can often sit at 600 taking no hits, but if I try to float at 670, I can take ten of them. 
    I rarely see big targets after 700 myself, but usually soldier on until i run out of 30+ targets (at which point you'll be the juiciest target out there in your MMR anyway, and will get hit sooner rather than later). 
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Very Much appreciated! 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The thing is here and LINE are 2 different things.  Line is live and instant.  Here is, heck I can even figure out how to get a picture here, not.  As Bombast said, its about your float point.  800 is an MMR opening and your become visible to all in your MMR.  not sure why, but it has been for a long time.  That is where you need to hop from 800 to 900.  also depends what slice you play in.  This has a MASSSIVE impact on what you see and the number of points a match is.
  • bOmbast
    Options
    Fair enough, we all want different things from the game. For me, the unpredictability and "stress" of pvp is what keeps me interested in an otherwise repetitive and grindy game. A sense of achievement, I guess, at least something more than "play as much as possible".  
  • bOmbast
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes, slice is important, time within the event too. Climb too early and it's dry. climb too late and you'll get hit more. 
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes, different players wants different things....so a compromise is due.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One more voice - i am glad. I like the concept of the win based system but the fruit was too high for me (40 wins). Now is back within reach with the same effort as 20 wins in the previous system. Will I get 15 CP - nope. I didn't get it in the past (won't bother shieldhopping to 1200 without top dogs... and I don't have top dogs like Thanos, BP or Bolt). I didn't get it in the win based system (can't really get top10 finish even in scl5) and won't make it to 1200 now. But I will get multiple 4* covers per season and the CP for season reward as well.

I will get more net vaule out of it but I will look forward to a stress free climbs in the future (with 4* at 22-24 wins max; where the CP is - i don't really care) . 

My big question to @Brigby is the real reason to make the change. I light of the recent micrtransaction discussions around other games maybe Devs can man up and say why they have reverted this and what is their lesson for the furutre.
  • thecoffeemug
    thecoffeemug Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Very disappointed by this. Loved the new system. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,693 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I’m surprised this happened so fast. Personally, I sort of found myself playing the old way mostly anyway as 40 wins was too much grind but the reduction in the need for shields was nice. I know we are unlikely to get any feedback but I am intrigued as to why the Wins based system couldn’t even be tweaked before being abandoned. Considering it took months to rollback vaulting, this seems a bit rushed.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Because money
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For everyone saying 'I could jump in and hit 40 wins, whenever I want to', how many of you actually did that for every event? The most I've seen mentioned here is 4 events.
    Even factoring in people not on the forum, I'd guess the game had more of the 900+ scorers drop off than were replaced by people getting 40 wins EVERY event. As the season went on, this divide probably became more obvious.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I did.  n=1 and all that, but I made 40 wins in every event, and 72 in sim.
  • thecoffeemug
    thecoffeemug Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    For everyone saying 'I could jump in and hit 40 wins, whenever I want to', how many of you actually did that for every event? The most I've seen mentioned here is 4 events.
    Even factoring in people not on the forum, I'd guess the game had more of the 900+ scorers drop off than were replaced by people getting 40 wins EVERY event. As the season went on, this divide probably became more obvious.

I did, every last one. Whereas, for me, in points-based is 60-70% chance of hitting 900. Just fits my play style, schedule, etc. But I am but one voice, and understand that they have to look at the entire player base. Still disappointed, and hope they come up with a better middle of the road solution for both camps. I suspect it depends on what you want, the CP or the covers. I think if they tossed more CP into the lossless system, it could have gone better. But that is just an impression I got skimming some of the comments.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm guessing there were many people that quit VIP after the change and D3 noticed.  They may have also seen Pvp participation lessen and that the majority did not even make it past 30 wins.  Significantly reduce the number of wins needed or implement a dual system of wins or points and the backlash would of been minimized.  Thanks for the change back D3, i really hope you can find a system that works.  Maybe even reduce the amount of points loss based on your MMR.  If a low level team gets to high they will still get hit hard but they can shield before hundreds of points loss.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    sh81 said:
    Because money
    The 15CP back in progression would have fixed that surely?
  • dragonreader
    dragonreader Posts: 89 Match Maker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Well I am disappointed by this decision since for the first time versus-mode seemed worthwhile and fun to me.  This will make it harder for me to progress as I likely won't get beyond the 4th progress reward, 

BUT...  I feel for the developers.  It has got to be difficult to design a game that meets the needs of all different kinds of players, from long-time players to relatively new players.  And it seems like they get attacked for every decision, for everything they try.  I think that is unfair.  As I said, they have the difficult task of pleasing everyone (an impossible task).

So while I am disappointed I recognize that what is the best system for me might not be what is best for others and will soldier on.  

I appreciate that the developers gave this a try and hope they might revisit again at some point, perhaps with some modifications to address the concerns of the long-time players.  I have some suggestions but that wasn't the point of this post,.  Instead I wanted to let the developers know someone out here appreciates their efforts (not just on this issue) and thanks them for it.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    sh81 said:
    Because money
    If the problem wasnt money, if it was finding a play system to suit all - then thats exactly what they would have done.

And they may have adjusted the wins required, or the way MMR works.

They did none of those things.

Whales and big roster players complained, and according to some closed their wallets, at the first opportunity everything went back as it was = what other conclusion is there?

• DAZ0273
    Options
    sh81 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    sh81 said:
    Because money
    If the problem wasnt money, if it was finding a play system to suit all - then thats exactly what they would have done.

And they may have adjusted the wins required, or the way MMR works.

They did none of those things.

Whales and big roster players complained, and according to some closed their wallets, at the first opportunity everything went back as it was = what other conclusion is there?

If that is the case, then it is quite a worrying thing. Sure, a game developer should pay heed to their fanbase when they can but not be completely trapped within a section of its grasp.
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The problem with the win based system was they took away the 15cp from more players than what they had stated in other post forums. I highly doubt more players were obtaining 15cp with the win system, than with the old system. I only managed to be top 10 maybe 3x the whole season, and that was waiting on flips, and playing hardcore, and I have a very expansive roster. I personally rely on CP to advance my roster now, so it actually caused me to play less the last week. I missed out on a lot of CP based on their new system, so their new system greatly affected my hybrid play style.