Update to Versus Tournament Progression Rewards (11/15/17)

Comments

• murmit
    murmit Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Im vary sad now and gonna boycott this season
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    broll said:
    BOO!  Seriously?!  We go thru months of vaulting hurting players progression and that’s just fine. One season of a system better for 90-99% of players and you pull the breaks immediately?!  Guess this one must have hurt more financially. Just when the devs we’re earning my trust back. I might boycott most of next season cause this is tinykitty!!
    Vaulting didn't negatively impact game revenue the way wins based progression did.  Above all things revenue is the driving force.  This game doesn't exist for your enjoyment it exists TO MAKE MONEY! It's only intended to be just fun enough to keep people spending
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Based on Brigby stating that progression thresholds will be the same as they were prior to last season, that seems to imply CP will be back at 1200.
    If not, at least we'll have a day to rest before our next uproar.
  • Phinatic85
    Phinatic85 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    I'm not a whale and I love the change back. While I don't have any 5*'s champed (or even fully covered), I was able to compete enough before to still earn 4* covers. I can't play the insane amount to reach 40 wins and missed out on so much last season.

Thank you for listening!
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    fmftint said:
    broll said:
    BOO!  Seriously?!  We go thru months of vaulting hurting players progression and that’s just fine. One season of a system better for 90-99% of players and you pull the breaks immediately?!  Guess this one must have hurt more financially. Just when the devs we’re earning my trust back. I might boycott most of next season cause this is tinykitty!!
    Vaulting didn't negatively impact game revenue the way wins based progression did.  Above all things revenue is the driving force.  This game doesn't exist for your enjoyment it exists TO MAKE MONEY! It's only intended to be just fun enough to keep people spending
    I think this is it right here.  All allusions to the motives are just guesses, but even money (pun intended) is it is 100% a financial decision
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    I get that a lot of people are disappointed in the complete reversion to points progression.  I sympathize with you, there was a time before champing, bonus heroes, SCLs, and all the newer toys that it was all but impossible to build a 4* roster. 

But I'm willing to give the devs the benefit of the doubt.  It was a good concept, but the progression milestones were way off, and it skewed placement scores completely out of proportion because they moved the final CP reward to placement only.

The worst possible decision would have been to ignore the feedback entirely and run a second season without any changes.  The best possible decision would have been to find a happy medium.  But I can understand not knowing exactly where that medium is.  If it was still too high, people would have still been unhappy.  If too low, the accountants would have been upset.  So we revert to the last stable build.
  • ces319
    ces319 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Thank you.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Joe_Smoke said:
       Now we're back to risking our time and HP
    And this is the point,  sure you were putting in time to get 40 wins but if you aren't using shield you aren't  putting in  money.  As I explained on page 2 # = $ so point based progression is back
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Great to hear.

I gave it a season out of fairness, and it was just not good. I generally hit 850-900 in PvP, depending on my mood, and 2000 in sim. The first few events, I passed those points and only hit the 850 level prize once. After that, I became pretty disillusioned and stopped after 20 wins. I hit my normal points range for the season, and wasn't even close to the 15 CP - my progress was stunted badly.

You can have my VIP Subscription back.

Edit: And I'm not a 5* player (I've invested zero iso in the tier) or whale, so those certainly aren't the only players who were unhappy.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    That was VERY unexpected.  

IMO you only needed to retain the CP progression reward and suddenly you have a win/win system for all players (well many of them).    I prefer the point system to the win system so I'll take it :)
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint said:
    Joe_Smoke said:
       Now we're back to risking our time and HP
    And this is the point,  sure you were putting in time to get 40 wins but if you aren't using shield you aren't  putting in  money.  As I explained on page 2 # = $ so point based progression is back
    Just to be too nitpicky, but you didn't explain anything to the people that don't know Line short-hand for PVP.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I'm shocked at this news, but happy. 

I typically put up ~12k points a season: 1000 each PvP event + 2000 in Shield Sim. I did the same this season, and my rewards got nerfed into the ground. 

Normally, I'd win 20 matches in each PvP event for the 4* reward. I found the new 40-win target absurd, so I put up 16-20 wins an event, got 900-1000 points, and didn't even get the 3* rewards. I felt absolutely cheated. Looking at the leaderboards, a lot of other players did the same -- scores seemed lower across the board, and a lot of players seemed to shield less (which I think played a part in this decision.) 

In Shield Sim, I had 2000 points after 36 matches, and again felt cheated that I had to do double that work for the 4* reward. And it was a pretty annoying climb, as PvP MMR insists on my 90% of my matches being against champed Gambits. And for the first time in over a year, I didn't get the final 15CP season reward, finishing up around 300 wins. So I was ready to bail on PvP entirely this season, and who knows, it might have been the first step towards me quitting MPQ altogether. 

So this is pretty good news. I'm not against win-based progression, but the targets were a joke. Set the 3* at 20 wins, and 4* at 30-32 wins, and Shield Sim at something more realistic, and I'm sure it'll be received far better. 

• Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Is there any doubt that D3 thought this wouldn't affect shield usage because they ran the tests in the offseason where shield usage is always down?  But when they ran it for a season they saw that shield usage was 1/2 to 1/3 of what it used to be the prior season.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you demi.  I would be very curious to see what the engagement numbers looked like for you to reverse course so quickly, but this is the right decision.  

Wins-based progression wasnt a terrible idea.  It has some merits and some problems.  But the implementation was awful.  Fewer wins, and keep cp in progression seem like the obvious moves to make.  In a vacuum i would suggest trying some tests with different progression targets.  

But now that you have burned the wins-based-prog bridge so badly i might just go back to the drawing board and loock for a different solution.  In the meantime. Shaking up the existing points-based prog table is a good idea.  Make the 3* cover achievable for 3* rosters.  Maybe 575?  And do the same with the 4* (maybe 725?).  And then add in some iso to fill the gap between 825 and 1200.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I appreciate them trying to do something to make PVP better, but am glad that they quickly realized that this wasn't quite the right solution. I hope they consider some of the interesting ideas that have been contributed on the forums and make another attempt next off-season.