Half way mark of the PVP season, how is it going for you?

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not really a fan. I played the SHIELD Simulator a lot early to get the Rogue cover while I could still use it to unlock the last nodes in Nightcrawler's SHIELD training, but once I hit 74 wins I slacked off. I suppose I play more PvP than I used to, but I also dropped to a lower SCL to get the 15 CP, so I am playing more for less rewards overall.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    This is the worst...I've given all previous changes to game play a pass.  I understood the nerfing or rebalancing of popular characters for whatever reason...there will always be something new and shiny coming down the pipe anyway.  Vaulting, I did'nt like since I had my 4*'s champed, but saw the benefit of high level new 4's.  But this I don't understand.  Yes some people complained about the stressful journey to 900, maybe you wanted to get rid of those crazy big scores, maybe spread the wealth of CP....but this burnout inducing system will be the end of this game.  I really don't want to stop playing but I already feel that urge to leave and it makes me sad since I have felt it before in various games and it takes a lot to push me out of a game I'm invested in.  Last time I had the feeling was 3 years ago with another mobile game.  I actually had spent alot of money on that game but the company did not listen to the paying player base and i left for MPQ.  That game barely exists now as I stop to check the forums still every few months.  If another game captures my interests and wallet, I will slowly drift to that game until leaving completely

Here's what can be done to implement this correctly:  Significantly reduce the number of wins, I can live without the CP even though that sucks but I can't invest this much time into something, and yes I am compelled to go for everything all the time.  Implement a dual system, you can keep the win based system and the number of wins, but make the last 4 prizes either win based or points based.  That way people will still need to put in 26 wins or what ever and then have the choice of continuing with wins or continue with points.  Seems fair to me.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    No I hate the changes, but playing the same PVP
    "Hate the changes" is a bit strong... but I do strongly dislike them...

I've been a T5 PvP player for several seasons now.  With this change, I'm pushing longer and hard, spending more HP on shields and health packs to stay competitive.

Stark contrast between the first event and following ones...  I don't think the scl8 community realized the impact until after the first event.

Many people have become so used to spending less than 8 hours on PvP per event.

I'm up somewhere over 12 hours per event.  That's 36 hours of dedicated play time JUST for PvP... not counting PvE, the new Sakaar LRs, etc.

I'm seeing my fellow alliance-mates fall off, either "downgrading" to less competitive play, or quitting completely.

It will be very interesting to see what happens the weeks following Gambit returning to normal... those that managed to exploit the $2 CP issue or BH pull will lose their god-mode...  The reality of top-end PvP will likely cause them to quit as well (at least - I hope the cheaters quit on their own).

{edit} - I find it VERY interesting that the majority of the "No, hate it" votes come from Championed 5* rosters, and the majority of the "Yes, love it" come from those that haven't championed (or only have 1 or 2) - based on posted signatures...
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Indfferent to the changes, and playing the same or less PVP
    Not much has changed for me. I was originally for the wins based PVP. This was when I had 4* MMR and my matches were pretty quick. I could see that it would be no sweat to knock out 40 wins each PVP and get the 4* cover much more easily that with points based PVP.

Between the initial test and the implementation, I champed my first 5* and now am subject to 5* MMR. The matches are usually longer and require more health packs. 

I don't really want to push for 40 wins each PVP now because it takes too much time. I do want to say that I was never a recipient of those high point matches before, so I wouldn't have been any better off with points based PVP either.

I'm still hitting the 10 CP and anything else is a bonus. It irritates me a little because I scaled up at precisely the wrong time. And now that PVP is wins based, I know that I *can* get that 4* cover every time...but like before, I really can't. But I'm more or less indifferent, because I haven't lost any rewards. 

Long story short, between PVE and 5* PVP, I would have to start spending much more money and time to play both successfully...which probably means "working as intended", except in my case, I'm not going to do that. 
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    I quit PVP due to these changes and might come back if they change
    By far the worst move to the game ive seen  since starting over 3 years ago
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    No I hate the changes, and playing less PVP
    I hate this. I now kind of dread PvP, where before it was fun and challenging. Previously, I hit 900 in every event, and 1200 in most.

For the first couple of events I slogged through the 40 wins, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I really wanted champ levels for Nova and Peggy, but when I hit 900 in those 2 events, I still hadn't even got the 3* reward. I've tried dumping, dropcaking, ignoring wins and points and just playing, and it's all equally horrible.

I'd have stopped already if I didn't feel some obligation to help out my alliance. We're all suffering.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    jd99 said:
    It’s terrible! I don’t always have time to play for hours each day. I’m nearly 4 years into this game of daily play, and am considering retiring if this change continues. I spent 45 minutes last night hitting easy teams over and over just to get 40 wins. It’s nonsense! Also, 74 wins in sim is straight up insane unless you start immediately. Grinding for grinding’s sake is crazy and pointless. Fix this now!

74 wins in Sim is insane, full stop. I hit ~1600 points in 24 wins, which means that 3/4 full progression in the old model equals less than 1/3 full progression in the current setup. Craziness.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Yes I like the changes, and playing the same PVP
    I was a bit torn here.  I like win based PvP, but hate the progression rewards. Hoping they will realize how unreasonable they are and will restructure soon.
    I have always been primarily a PvE player, and just did PvP when I had spare time, so I would like a format that allowed me to play a few matches here and there and feel like I accomplished something more than killing time
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    No I hate the changes, and playing less PVP
    These changes are awful for me personally (and other 5* transitioners).  But i think they are also bad for the game overall (with all necessary caveats about subjectivity).  Maxinal investment in the game is now an extraordinary time commitment.  And in both both pvp and pve the rewards available for less-than-max play have actually gone down, even if the total available rewards are greater than they were 18 months ago.

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    No I hate the changes, but playing more PVP
    It's going poorly.  I've only earned one of the 4* covers so far, despite spending more time than ever on the game.  I did manage a T10 finish that event, but everything else I've stopped at the 10 cp.  I don't know whether I'll make final progression, but it seems doubtful at the moment.  I can't do both PvE and PvP to completion anymore.  Just not enough time to crank out 40 wins every few days if I'm also clearing 6x in PvE and trying to work toward that precious Rogue cover in sim.

I'm also not scoring well.  Since every time I end I'm so far away from progression I'm not bothering to shield, except near the end, but twice I've fallen asleep while trying to get there and lost the opportunity.  I was reliably scoring 900-1100 and now it's more like 300-500 average.  Thankfully my alliance is not PvP-focused or I would've been kicked by now.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    No I hate the changes, but playing more PVP
    Voted that I hate the changes but am playing more.

Admittedly that's not really how I feel.   If CP were still in final progression then my hate would instantly turn to love.  Its that one point which makes or breaks everything for me and the fact that my playstyle means I'm losing out on 45 CP a week that I used to earn naturally makes me a little bitter with the new system.

Prior to the tests I disliked the 40 win grind but having played through several events that concern has gone away.  I'm playing a lot more matches than I did before but since those matches aren't exclusively against the toughest teams in my MMR I feel its a good way to balance out difficulty vs grind.

Good change ruined entirely by the decision to go stingy on the progression CP.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I'm playing the same, and it turns out my standard play gets me the number of progression wins. Problem is, I don't have the option to start late anymore due to the high win requirement, so whereas I could probably take it easy here and there, the option is limited now. Every event is now work. 

Sim is god awful. I hit R4G, Gamora, Medusa teams 45 times in a row to get the progression. It was mind-numbing and soul-crushing. 

Also, as people have mentioned, the top alliances are starting to see major turnover and burnout. It's becoming a full time job to stay at the top and it's getting boring. 

• corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    I quit PVP due to these changes and might come back if they change
    babinro said:
    Voted that I hate the changes but am playing more.

Admittedly that's not really how I feel.   If CP were still in final progression then my hate would instantly turn to love.  Its that one point which makes or breaks everything for me and the fact that my playstyle means I'm losing out on 45 CP a week that I used to earn naturally makes me a little bitter with the new system.

Prior to the tests I disliked the 40 win grind but having played through several events that concern has gone away.  I'm playing a lot more matches than I did before but since those matches aren't exclusively against the toughest teams in my MMR I feel its a good way to balance out difficulty vs grind.

Good change ruined entirely by the decision to go stingy on the progression CP.
    I can almost agree with every word of this. Except 40 wins