Time Gem Season Updates *Updated (10/19/17)

Options

Comments

• astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just got my season 10-pack - something I wouldn't normally do until around Thursday or Friday. It helped that I was laid up in bed with a bad back, so I played more than I normally would have, but I don't think that would have happened under the old system. Not saying that's a point in favor of the new system (I would have got it anyway) and still undecided on the new system, but it was nice. And it was a nice 10-pack - five 3*s and a yellow Mr. Fantastic (the one color I don't have).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    astrp3 said:
    Just got my season 10-pack - something I wouldn't normally do until around Thursday or Friday. It helped that I was laid up in bed with a bad back, so I played more than I normally would have, but I don't think that would have happened under the old system. Not saying that's a point in favor of the new system (I would have got it anyway) and still undecided on the new system, but it was nice. And it was a nice 10-pack - five 3*s and a yellow Mr. Fantastic (the one color I don't have).
    Phew!  So glad 5* transitioners get less cp now so that you can get that 10 pack 3 or 4 days early.  Great tradeoff!
    /sarcasm
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I’ve played under the old system and the new system as bouth a 4-star player (pre-Anniversary, zero leveled/champed 5’s) and now as a five-star transitioner (post-Anniversary, champed Jean and OML).

Old system, 4-star roster: 575 was easy and casual. 900+ was doable, but stressful and unpleasant, required shields, worry about hopping/point loss.

Old system, beginning 5-star transition: 575 damn near impossible. 900 a distant dream. Constantly matched against tougher teams. Very difficult to find consistently winnable matches. Ate up health packs.

New system, 4-star roster: 4-star easily attainable, as it was trivial to find consistently beatable teams I could spread out over 2.5 days without worrying about point loss. Light drain on health packs depending on who the boosteds were.

New system, beginning 5-star transition. Same MMR problem as before. Burning through health packs. Getting hit dozens of times between lay sessions. Have earned three more progression rewards than I normally would with my 4-star roster under the old system, will probably be able to push the last six wins this evening after finishing The Hunt. A lot more effort due to the match types. Probably something I’ll only do for progression covers I need rather than champ levels unless I’ve got a lot of free time.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It doesnt help that you only have 2 5s champed and both are weak. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So I am now at 2000 points with 45 wins in CL7.  8-10 players in my bracket will miss out on the 15CP based on the new system.  I am #10 in my bracket with 2.5 hrs left.  The biggest thing the new system is doing is it is encouraging bigger roster players to play lower CL.  You are going to see 5* rosters in CL5 and CL6.  Now if you are suppose to be in CL5 or 6 and you see top 10 players in you bracket with championed 5* it will eventually get discouraging because players want to be able to compete.  This is the most important reason to add CP back to progression even if it is in CL9 and above.  This will get more 5* players at higher shield rank playing CL9 and they will get the 15CP they want but then 4* players can play CL 7-8 and get the cp from placement.  You might even see 4* players choose to go for CL9 because they can get the progression.  D3 you need to stop encouraging players to play lower CL and encourage them to play at their highest CL.
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    corytutor said:
    Yep, but that’s the way the covers landed. 
  • Matt Murdock
    Matt Murdock Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I think PVP was a broken system, but people learned how to work it and are afraid of change because even if it helps others, they feel they are getting robbed no longer being able to game the game.  I'm sure not everyone wants to download additional apps, coordinate outside the game, read multiple how-to guides (and on and on) just to play a match-3 game.  This change allows people to pick up and play AND progress (rather than regress) in any given event while making placement even more competitive for the top rosters or competition/"strategy" junkies.

I have a couple of honest questions.

1) People talking about 5* players having longer matches, is that true?  I admittedly might not be remembering clearly, but I assume my matches in 4* land take just as long as they did in 3 and 2* land.  Yes I'm seeing bigger health pools, but I'm also doing way more damage.  And since all throughout my transition I've always seen people of relatively equal roster strength, I don't quite understand but admittedly am not there.

2) People are talking about seed teams being a thing, which I was unaware of other than lightening rounds.  What's the best way to cue them up?  Say I want to play slice 4.  Do I select my slice as soon as the event starts, or do I select my event as soon as the slice is ready to open?
    I think the reason 5* matches tend to take longer is because health increases a lot from 4>5 but attacks dont, really (other than match damage). A good boosted 4 can crank out a lot more damage than a 450 5* on their abilities. Not to mention there are a lot of annoying passives in 5* land which can draw out a match.

Regarding the change to PvP, I just want to echo the statements made by vhailorx and others. Making the 4* more accessible - good. It hurts late joiners but oh well... we will adapt. However, CP moving to placement is a negative change, objectively. 

1) it gates a reward which was previously attainable by anyone, provided they had the roster strength and/or pvp know-how (admittedly pvp is hard to learn at first), behind luck of the draw. I didnt think this would impact me until i got the bracket from hell on the very first event. Just because i got unlucky i lost out on a reward which i can normally easily get... and i should be able to get it! Without that CP there is no motivation for me to play pvp.
    2) even if you could not yet attain the CP, you could have eventually gotten it with enough effort and/or time spent developing your roster. There was no cap on how many people could get the CP before, now there is.
    3) if youre hoping that you will be able to luck into an easy bracket in a low CL and get CP you normally wouldnt have gotten, well, you might at first, and good for you. But eventually the top rosters will collaborate to spread out from each other, and youll see the t10 dominated by stronger rosters, even in low CLs. For 5* transitioners, CP is the only thing that matters and they will do what they need to to maintain their income. At that point, youll be losing out on the t10 rewards (besides the CP which you couldnt get before) which you normally could have lucked into and/or gotten with enough effort.
    4) this change hurts higher cls and rewards lower cls, which makes sense... how?? This cant have been the intended effect.
  • corytutor
    Options
    corytutor said:
    Understand that. My first champs werent top tier either. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    corytutor said:
    First 2 I covered were Phoenix and Banner, still haven't champed Banner. Since I've covered and champed, in order, Thanos, Ock, Parker. Just covered DD yesterday, I'll champ him next. I'll eventually get to Banner. But, yeah, all about the way the covers land
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    NotBAMF said:
    Wins-based PVP has been even better for me than I initially expected. I got the Mr. Fantastic cover from Category-5 without ever crossing 700 points total. And I'm just blowing through rewards on the Shield Simulator and the Time Gem Season main progression. I'm going to end up getting a LOT more rewards under this system than I used to be able to.

Kudos to the new system. 

This is good to hear from a fellow player, well done!

However now, to give appropriate feedback - just in case the devs actually read this - PLEASE state your roster status, comparisons to your previous play/expectations, etc.

@NotBAMF
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The last two times they ran this during the off season, I commented on how the bar was too high. I got to my 10 CP at 12 wins (570 points). Even ignoring points this time, I got to 570 points in 14 wins. This format has potential, but right now the bar is too high and it's become a grind fest.

I dread trying to grind out simulator at 74 wins.
  • Milk Jugz
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I just did a few simulator matches, found a fun, fast team in Parker/Ock/Miles. But, I'm sitting on 714 points in 12 wins.... I seriously have to do 62 more.... ****....
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    I just did a few simulator matches, found a fun, fast team in Parker/Ock/Miles. But, I'm sitting on 714 points in 12 wins.... I seriously have to do 62 more.... tinykitty....

You have Three weeks to do those 62 matches though.
  • Milk Jugz
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    I just did a few simulator matches, found a fun, fast team in Parker/Ock/Miles. But, I'm sitting on 714 points in 12 wins.... I seriously have to do 62 more.... tinykitty....

You have Three weeks to do those 62 matches though.
    So what? I will have 2000 points by the time I hit 35 wins, probably before. More of the same bull, same rewards (more than) double the effort..... Tinykitty this tinykitty tinykitty system!!!
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I finished the first pvp with 1552 points, but still missed progression because I only had 30 wins. Is this working as intended?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I finished the first pvp with 1552 points, but still missed progression because I only had 30 wins. Is this working as intended?

Yes. If you want all progression rewards you need to play more.
  • corytutor
    Options
    Thats just dumb
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Phoning it in this season for sure. Don't care if I get the 10-pack, which tends to be horrible anyway, don't care if I get the 15 CP from season progression. I'm not bothering with 40 wins in ANY event aside from the ones where I actually need the 4-star cover, which is Nightcrawler and thats about it. A champ level doesn't constitute a need for me, though I suppose I will consider it if it's for a 4-star that I haven't champed yet, and I have no one else better to use the iso on. 

My alliance requirement is still 700 points for now to get Alliance T100, so doing that for my peeps is about the only reason I'm gonna play this season. I entered Category 5, Slice 5 - CL8, with 12 hours left. Got to 700 points in 18 wins, and that was deliberately going after the boosted 3s and unboosted 4s at first. After about match 10 I couldn't avoid Carol/Wasp, Gwen/Cho, boosted 4/Medusa, so it was purely for the CP and my alliance at that point. Really hard to consider this " fun" when I know I would have had to basically double my efforts for all the actually worthwhile rewards past win #20. And funny enough, I still finished t50, so I know 4-5 more wins probably would have had me at t25. This is completely backwards, asI know very well that I could still achieve these rewards as a 3-4* transitioner.  You now essentially have to go into every event deciding whether you want placement or progression, because wanting both, if you were accustomed to both, means double the effort now. It's flat out absurd that there's people scoring 2000 points and above, but that doesn't mean they got the iso or the cover.