MPQ Sneak Peek: October 2017 Edition *Updated (10/26/17)

Options

Comments

• alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. When it comes to the 5-Star Essential rotation, it cycles between the 3 Latest Legends to 2 Classic Legends, then back again to the Latest Legends.

As for Gambit (Modern) entering the rotation, I will be sure to ask the developers.

Man you guys have some horrible stupid ideas at times trying to ruin the game play experience for those that pay your wages - this one ranks right up there with all time bad ideas and is the worst in recent times.

qudos I was actually starting to think you guys where starting to make some positive changes before this - all undone in one insanely stupid idea 
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Counting Starlord as a "classic" is dirty pool. He was there for all of what a week?  So let me guess, we will have Peter Parker as an essential for the 3rd time, just after Gambit enters latest.

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's almost as if they felt they were too nice by giving us the expected double-ISO-LRs and had to take something else away..
    Looking forward to play another PVE with a character at 1-2 covers I won't pull for for another12 days... Guess 1/6 PVE with an actual champed 5 when you have almost all but Latest 5s champed is a fair rate?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Please rotate in more classics as required 5*s. It took me years to champion them... give me a reason to actually use them! Why should I rush to pull latest? I'll only get a few covers at most, so they probably won't even be strong enough to beat the 5* required node anyway.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby
    Adding in my whiny complaint that this arrangement of 5*essentials is exceptionally unsatisfactory. 

My roster is a clown car full of sad and unloved 5*s who have nothing to do.. Please let them have their 15 mins to throw cream pies at Daken and Ares. 
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby any chance we can get a Dino cover from the node he's featured in the The Hunt like the random Howard from Venom Bomb? Can you ask the developers if that's in the plans or something they would consider? 
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wait 5* "new" spidy is the essential again for simulator?
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see a logic to it for newer players, so they aren't locked out by rng and the dilution of Classics.

If the 5* cycles round every 5 events, assume 2 3 day events, 2 x 4, 1 x 7, that's 3 weeks, so each 5* would be essential 6 times give or take while it's in LT.
    If you can get enough LT to pull one cover of a new 5* within 3 weeks, you could be only locked out of 2/5 of essentials, rather than hitting a patch where you are locked out for a month.

Of course, being told the rota in advance would've been good so people could plan ahead.

And for folks with good Classic 5*s, it's frustrating as all heck, to say the least.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. When it comes to the 5-Star Essential rotation, it cycles between the 3 Latest Legends to 2 Classic Legends, then back again to the Latest Legends.

As for Gambit (Modern) entering the rotation, I will be sure to ask the developers.
    Wow, that is a truly horrible plan, that is clearly there so that you do not have to address the horrible situation when it comes to getting covers for the 5*s that have moved into and clogged up the classic tokens.

Surely the obvious option is to split classic tokens into multiple 'generations' that each have 4 older 5*s so they are less obtainable than in the latest token but are still vastly improved over the current idiocy where you have 15 of them occupying the woefully inadequate 15% chance of getting one.

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:

People might be amenable to featuring the Latest Legends more often if the split were reasonable.

We've had Latest and Classic tokens for close to two years now, and this rotation cycle is like a big rubber stamp that says "Sucker" for everyone that chose to open Classics over that time.

There are 19 5* characters, and this move says that the ones that make the devs the most money are the most important, and an unfair split in the Latest/Classic cycle is a giant "F You" to everyone trying to play differently.

Make it HALF the Classics between the 3 Latest, and I think I'd grumble and complain about it being uneven but accept it because I understand the devs want people to pursue new toys for the business side of things, and to get to use those new toys from the gameplay side of things.

But as-is, it's like we just had a party for Anniversary and the Devs just took a smelly dump and clogged the toilet and, like usual, aren't even around to explain things, much less apologize or try to make things right.

• NicholasHewitt
    NicholasHewitt Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Good luck getting a response on why this is the way it is, because that would involve the devs admitting that Classics are too diluted and Legendary tokens and RNG aren't a viable option to progression. 

Its almost as if this is something that no one could see coming. Why wouldn't anyone have thought of this or mentioned it?!
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Only a matter of time now until the 5* essential node is factored into progression then.

How about VIP unlocks a loaner for the 5* node Devs? Or, you know, just have a loaner so everyone can try the 5* in story events? Even the bottom tiers? Sorry, was that too much fun of an idea?

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,704 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    thisone said:
    Only a matter of time now until the 5* essential node is factored into progression then.

How about VIP unlocks a loaner for the 5* node Devs? Or, you know, just have a loaner so everyone can try the 5* in story events? Even the bottom tiers? Sorry, was that too much fun of an idea?

I would be happy with that but as I don't have a single 5* with 1 of each cover, that loaner for Spider-man (assuming Lvl 255 1/1/1) would end up being more powerful than my 0/1/0 Spidey, so hardly an incentive for me to spash CP and eliminating the competetive edge of those who have done.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    So is the classic 5* random or is it following a specific path? Because it would be somewhat annoying if Ock left Latest and then immediately became a possibility of being the Classic. I guess I'm going to have to roster that green Ock cover I have on the vine if that is the case...

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,374 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    So is the classic 5* random or is it following a specific path? Because it would be somewhat annoying if Ock left Latest and then immediately became a possibility of being the Classic. I guess I'm going to have to roster that green Ock cover I have on the vine if that is the case...

Ha ha!  Why would they tell you this?  But it is possible that it is release order.  Ock will be featured as a Latest before shuffling off to Classic Jail, possibly for Nightcrawler's release event, though.  We have a 4 day after Sim, then probably Nightcrawler.  Plan accordingly.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    CT1888 said:
    I see a logic to it for newer players, so they aren't locked out by rng and the dilution of Classics.

If the 5* cycles round every 5 events, assume 2 3 day events, 2 x 4, 1 x 7, that's 3 weeks, so each 5* would be essential 6 times give or take while it's in LT.
    If you can get enough LT to pull one cover of a new 5* within 3 weeks, you could be only locked out of 2/5 of essentials, rather than hitting a patch where you are locked out for a month.

Of course, being told the rota in advance would've been good so people could plan ahead.

And for folks with good Classic 5*s, it's frustrating as all heck, to say the least.
    I'm just gonna type my thoughts out as I think through this.

New players wouldn't have the SR to get into SCL 7.  SR required to get into SCL 7 is 32 (which is probably lower than it really should be, but that's another topic) and it seems like the consensus that a very active player earns about 1 SR rank every 5-10 days (so for simplicity let's say a week).  So a player needs to play about 32 weeks (or 8-9 months) to be eligible for SCL 7.  I have no idea how to calculated how much CP/LTs a player that low earns per week, that's the real determining factor is how many pulls and how strong their RNG is.

The other factor here is that up until now conventional wisdom is that new players should use their CP on Classics and not Latest due to being able to buy more of them and the fact that new players shouldn't be focused on 5*s for at least their first year of playing (from my experience more like 1.5 -2 years before they start coming into focus).  Obviously on LTs they don't have a choice so they would likely be pulling some.

So yeah it's probably more likely for a new player to not have some of the 5*s when they first get into SCL 7.  This is mostly due to 5* dilution in Classics, no path to get specific 5*s anywhere in game (except BH which on paper is about 1:100 chance, in practice seems even longer). 

Ultimately the real problem is 5* dilution in classics.  And just like with 4* dilution the devs are choosing an unpopular solution.  Hopefully this one to is revised/revisited.  @Brigby What I would suggest is a rotation something more like this:

2 Classic (release order)
    1 Latest (release order)

SS (Classic)
    OML (Classic)
    Ock (Latest)
    Phoenix (Classic)
    BSSM (Classic)
    5pidey (Latest)
    GG (Classic)
    IM46 (Classic)
    DD (Latest)
    Cap (Classic)
    Hulk (Classic)
    Ock (Latest)
    BB (Classic)
    BW (Classic)
    5pidey (Latest)
    Strange (Classic)
    Thanos (Classic)
    DD (Latest)
    BP (Classic)
    Hawkeye (Classic)
    Ock (Latest)
    SL (Classic)

This way a Latest is featured third event, Latest are featured more (but not overbearingly more), we have an easily predictable pattern, and we can get through all Classics in 22 events (which will continue to grow as more are added).

With the current 2 Classic / 3 Latest it would take 50 events (and growing) to rotate through all (actually longer factor in how many would move to Classics in such a wide period)

• DAZ0273
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Ha ha!  Why would they tell you this?  But it is possible that it is release order.  Ock will be featured as a Latest before shuffling off to Classic Jail, possibly for Nightcrawler's release event, though.  We have a 4 day after Sim, then probably Nightcrawler.  Plan accordingly.
    Because I asked nicely! ;)
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,374 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Because I asked nicely! ;)
    Optimism.  Courtesy.  Good point. I hope they respond but they are fairly random with 4 essentials.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mexus said:
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Don't tell me Nightcrawler's gonna be a 5*, no!?
    Order says he's a 4*. There's no reason for him to be a 5*.  Probably the next 5* would be from Azgard.