S.H.I.E.L.D. Training, and 'Rogue and Friends' Vault (9/27/17)

Comments

• ComatoseJackal
    ComatoseJackal Posts: 50 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    Supplemental easy get cover is awesome forget useless achievement of 10k ISO. ISO is easy to come by. And the individual awards are just a tiny Karot nug 1cp. Really no reason to be upset.........  A nice compliment this is to a new character.
    Do I say more sure I do because why not right.
    I think like most it's a game...play, have fun, right? Correct? I am having way too much fun. Your Kindness is greatly appreciated. 

:smiley:
  • Frustrated1
    Frustrated1 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    Done now. Uninstalling and advising alliance to do the same. 

Will monitor thread to see if @Brigby is allowed to respond.  
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    If some rewards are impossible for you to attain, these rewards were not 'for you' in the first place. 

I go to a football game and enjoy the experience in normal seats. Some of you would go, and be angry at the stadium for making skybox seating available to a select few...  Hey, enjoy the game.

Glad to have Rogue in game, and I appreciate the effort and rewards from this unexpected event.

What about those who purchased the regular ticket, but learned that they can't enter the stadium unless they purchase team's t-shirt? Sure, plenty of supporters have them anyway, but it still sucks for those who don't.

Wonko33 said:
    it's always the same, people who just don't understand that in some events progressions in based on roster. We had the same complaints for Gauntlet, Boss events etc.  It just boggles the mind that people perceive  that as an insult. Most people with a full 3* roster and a somewhat developed 4* can get a new 4*, that's not bad for 60 minutes of play.  And anyway people are complaining that you need a full Rogue to get  about 10,000iso, 4 CP  and a legendary token, big deal.

If every one could get everything in every event what would be the point of improving your roster? Just demolish the whole thing with 1* iron man.
    And it's always the same 3+ year vets who loudly claim that this is not a problem (because it's not the problem for them). Ironic, that people who should build the core of the community are more like a disease that consumes it.

• Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor

Ducky said:
    I can understand why people are upset, but I think people are kind of missing what the devs tried to do with the format of this event, or at least what I think they tried to do. 

Usually our Story events have SCLs. This one didn't, but it looks like they tried to implement the differences in rewards you usually see in SCLs by making nodes gated by level. 

If this is actually what happened, I think they would have been better off doing SCLs so players would have better understood what exactly they should have been able to obtain. There would still have been complaints, yes, but it would have been more focused and would be easier to digest for future runs, I think. 

------------------------------------

What are my personal thoughts regarding the format of the event?

Meh, so I can't complete the whole event. It's not the end of the world. I enjoyed what I could play and got some extra goodies I wouldn't have normally have gotten. I call that win for me personally, but understand that not everyone will have that experience. 
    I wouldn't really compare Training to regular story events.
    GoG release events had no SCLs and no other silly requirements. Suddenly, we learn that it was too good and we need to work way harder for a single 4* cover. Why?
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Spoit said:
    Everyone is up in arms about the rogue essential nodes, but I'm here sideyeing the PX ones. It's a trap to try to get people to level chuck up past the point where his match damage will break the GSBW/SW winfinite combo!
    I could play winfinite with starlord with about the same efficiency, but i don't see how a single cover outweighs maxing two characters I have no interest (or get any advantage otherwise) in champing.

• biryon
    biryon Posts: 148 Tile Toppler

whyyyyyy

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    @mexus those mini-events also are only 6-8 nodes in depth. This event is much larger. 

@Alsmir There absolutely was complaining, or did you forget they had that 5SL essential node that barely anyone could play. This event is no different than that. You can play some of the nodes, but not all. 
  • MAXedOUT
    MAXedOUT Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    I don't understand why this is set for 3 specific 4* characters. It seems like it is a bit much for a requirement just to get a single cover. But on top of that requirement you also need to have each one of them over level 208. This just seems like a very pushy set of levels, that has been arbitrarily been pushed on your player base. I am lucky to have all of the characters, but I don't have them at 209 for a reason. I don't like Xforce Wolvie and I don't like Prof-X. Now to get the "free" cover I have to sink the most valuable resource in the game into characters I don't want to get leveled up.

I feel like having one character, a 4*, at the required level would be enough to earn a single cover. That is my thoughts on this, because honestly I feel like the hype you gave all of your players was "earn a cover for a character that you have been asking for years" and what we got was "As long as you have been playing for over 2 years, you may have a chance at earning a free cover of the newest highly requested character".
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    I don't think the GotG event can be compared.  It came after an event that gave Star Lord specific LTs, you just needed a 1 cover Star Lord to participate, and the prize was ISO.

The Xmen have been vaulted for the majority of the year, you need a majority of their covers in a balanced distribution, and the prize is a Rogue cover.  That's not even considering the requirements for the later fights in the event. 

I DO see how this event can be viewed as an experiment with replacing placement rewards or having an SCL-less event.  But then why release another spoke in the wheel with SCL9 if they're trying to find a way to break the wheel? 
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the level gates are a fair complaint if this turns out to be a one-time-only event and not a rotating one where people have other chances and improving their roster would help them over time in future runs. But let's have a little perspective about these 4*s availability:

- XFW has been in the game since the very beginning.
    - The newest of the three, Cyclops, has been in the game for just shy of two years (he was released in the 2015 anniversary).
    - All of them are champion rewards from 3* covers (originally from TWO separate characters), and Prof. X and Wolverine have a 2* -> 3* -> 4* path.
    - During the Archived Characters Period, they were still available in other ways, just a lot more limited.

I feel for people who are newer to the game or had bad luck with RNG, but it is not like these are nigh-impossible characters to get covers for, like some people are making it out to be. It's certainly not like the 5* Essential nodes that started within the pool of the 4 most recent 5*s and have ignored the ones that have been in the game for around two years.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not digging through the entire thread, so possible somebody posted it already. But requiring characters at certain levels (and hence at certain cover levels) is a real tinykitty move. Even more so because all the required characters have been VERY hard to get in the last year due to vaulting. I'm 'lucky' to have my XFW champed and Cyke at 12 covers, but my PX is at 6 covers and hasn't received new covers in at least 6 months.

I really hope this is just going to be a one time test.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Lucifier said:
    astrp3 said:

, and an hour's worth of ISO, 
    I think the total iso you can earn from this event is 19650.
    would you explain how to get almost 20k iso in one hour,
    do you mean if I play 10 hours, I will be able to get 200k iso? I would love that.
    DDQ + First 4 PvE clears + Opening and applying covers.

I'm annoyed by the precedent but like other have said it's not like it's a huge loss.  Getting the Rogue cover early was nice, but I'm not losing any sleep over missing 3 CP, 1 LT, and 10K ISO.  Is it really a gain when in order to get 10k ISO you need to spend ~350K in a week?  
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    @Brigby: As this is a first run, many players were expecting this event to follow the rules of the game as they are normally applied.

Most players also believe this to be a non-recurring event  or a recurring new character release event with unreasonably high requirements.

So here's a couple of options for making it better or at least more acceptable...

1. You can keep it as is, and have it be a weekly recurring event for different characters. Then it's something that you'll be able to clear some of the time, or something you can get better rewards for as you progress.

2. Alternatively, or additionally, you can remove the level restrictions and allow players to at least try to win (and allow players to use Deadpool's whales to win rounds) or fail knowing they're just not strong enough yet (like with the Deadpool's Daily Quest).
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    I have Cyke and Prof. X champed, but I don't like Wolverine, so I don't have XFW and could complete only the first four missions of the event... but I'm ok with that!

It's something sad? That's for sure! But as some already said, it's an extra event aside the normal Story one, releasing a new char, and I'll be able to get a Rogue cover in the progression of the next Story event. But above all, the X-men are back, even gaining the so waited affiliation, and I'm so happy with it that even this event requirements don't bothers me!

Now, one good suggestion I read was to able to choose from some more X-men for the required missions, with some from the 3* tier too, not only 4*, that way players would have a higher flexibility to participate.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby: As this is a first run, many players were expecting this event to follow the rules of the game as they are normally applied.

Most players also believe this to be a non-recurring event  or a recurring new character release event with unreasonably high requirements.

So here's a couple of options for making it better or at least more acceptable...

1. You can keep it as is, and have it be a weekly recurring event for different characters. Then it's something that you'll be able to clear some of the time, or something you can get better rewards for as you progress.

2. Alternatively, or additionally, you can remove the level restrictions and allow players to at least try to win (and allow players to use Deadpool's whales to win rounds) or fail knowing they're just not strong enough yet (like with the Deadpool's Daily Quest).
    3.  Stretch it out from a week to the length of a PvP season and have a new one each PvP season (gearing up towards the idea of having PvE seasons).

Getting a new character to 13 covers 251 in a week is ludicrous.  Doing the same thing in a month is high, but not entirely unreasonable.  Make it actually achievable for most and the non-whales will be more likely to make small buys to help get there.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Just adding my voice to the majority opinion that the devs screwed up this event. Sorry, it may not be the end of the world, but it is a bad way to treat your players. Showing them mission nodes they have no realistic way to participate in is bad business. In stead of a fun event that allows your players to earn a reward, you have created a black eye on your customer service.

Treating your players like this is not a good way to retain players. This event was a failure. Not looking good going into an anniversary event, that you have messed up in previous years. Better be a big meeting that looks at how you can kiss the behinds of your players to get us to like you again.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was reading the forums a lot of yesterday, and got the chance to play through SHIELD training last night.  The Rogue nodes mostly just seem silly to me.  I could see the concept working if the cover requirements were 1-5.  That would make sense - as events end you have the opportunity to earn covers and come back for the next node. But the last node full covers?  How did that concept even pass the initial fit of laughter, much less through development?

Dan: "OK, we want to get people really excited about our X-men anniversary event.  We've got good material - these characters are constant favorites in player polls and data indicates 90% of players will invest in roster slots to have them immediately.  What's the best way to monetize that?"

Dave: "How about we incentivize them to fully-cover the first release in a week?  Then they'll buy a roster slot and a bunch of 40-packs!"

Dan: "Great idea!  We'll start with Rogue, and put her in the Danger Room.  No wait, we don't have rights to that... Training Simulator!  At the end of that, we'll have Rogue essential nodes that needs more covers for each one to play."

Dave: "Technical issue.  The game isn't good at counting covers.  The count algorithm interferes with the code in other ways.  Level restrictions would be way easier to implement."

Dan: "OK, that's fine.  We'll set the minimum level requirement equal to the first level unlocked by the next cover."

Dave: "That'll work.  So to reach the maximum, they'll have to place first in every event, reach progression in CL9 in the next event, spend a ton of cash on random token draws, and spend 375k Iso to level Rogue.  What should we set as the reward for completing progression?"

Dan: "Eh, 10k sounds good."

Bruce: "I hate Charlie's Angels"

Dan: "OK, Bruce.  We'll get right on that."
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    broll said:
    Lucifier said:
    astrp3 said:

, and an hour's worth of ISO, 
    I think the total iso you can earn from this event is 19650.
    would you explain how to get almost 20k iso in one hour,
    do you mean if I play 10 hours, I will be able to get 200k iso? I would love that.
    DDQ + First 4 PvE clears + Opening and applying covers.

I'm annoyed by the precedent but like other have said it's not like it's a huge loss.  Getting the Rogue cover early was nice, but I'm not losing any sleep over missing 3 CP, 1 LT, and 10K ISO.  Is it really a gain when in order to get 10k ISO you need to spend ~350K in a week?  
    if you can make 20k iso in 1 hours play, does not mean it is 20k iso / hour.
    if you get 40k iso everyday, then 20k iso is half day worth of iso (not one hour) as you can not for example keep playing pvp for one hour and get 20k iso.

any player if miss one pvp or pve (or more) still it will not have that impact on him/her (unless you miss a cover you need it as 13 cover of a certain char).

anyway, it is just annoying/frustrating when you see a new event and you can not do anything about it, except only getting 400 iso. (true it is extra event, extra 400 iso, but for me, if this event does not exist is better than exist and only get 400 iso).

do you think it is ok, to be a new event, that a player can not even reach the 1st progression rewards?

with all respect to all people in the forum, but I see some of them get so defensive about d3 or MPQ in a strange way.

I love the idea MPQ is making new events, adding new CL, changing few things, testing new system.
    but it is very easy to notice this event is not well designed, simply a player with 48 4* char 11 5*, and all 3* char, can not even get 2% of the total event rewards.

these number mentioned is a fact (not a guess), and it is not just me.

as an example, they can make it like 50% or 35% of rewards is doable or easy to get for most of players, and the rest get harder and harder. (as it is in PVP progression rewards, I can not even get the 800 point reward (except few times)).

I agree with many people here, not all players should get all rewards, but also not only get 2% or 10% of the rewards, or not to be able to hit the first progression reward.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Lucifier said:
    if you can make 20k iso in 1 hours play, does not mean it is 20k iso / hour.
    if you get 40k iso everyday, then 20k iso is half day worth of iso (not one hour) as you can not for example keep playing pvp for one hour and get 20k iso.

Clearly you misunderstood my post or are mischaracterizing it (if the latter, please don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say and then criticize the words you made up) . I was referring to how much time you have to play to get ISO, not the average amount of time that elapsed on  the clock while you weren't playing (in your example, 20k may be half a day's worth of ISO, but it doesn't represent half a day of playing, which is the number I'm talking about)

And I never said that you can make 20k ISO "per hour".

First of all, I never said anything about 20k - you were the one that came up with that number.  Maybe you missed my reply, but as I explained, I was only talking about the final 10k reward because that's the reward that almost everybody will miss out on.

And I didn't say anything about how much ISO you make "per hour" either. (again, you were the one that came up with that) I said that 10k was "an hour's worth" of ISO. Meaning that you can get that in 1-1.5 hours of playing every day by either playing DDQ (which actually only takes 15 minutes) or when you are doing your PvE initial or final grind (assuming you do PvE).

This all doesn't apply to newbies, but I wasn't talking about them.

When I was tracking, I was getting about 53k ISO a day for 3-4 hours of play when I was grinding. And that was when I only had a handful of 4* champs. I no longer track ISO but I'm earning even more now and I've shaved probably an hour a day off my play time so no, missing out on 10k isn't a big deal to me.