S.H.I.E.L.D. Training, and 'Rogue and Friends' Vault (9/27/17)

Options

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IMO it is a bit short too, I preferred the Guardian one that was spread out over a few days, but hey, free stuff so no real complaints here
  • donpidgeon
    donpidgeon Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I think the problem here is mainly that this is game is revolving around, and feeding on, everyone's OCD.

If there is designs which forces these players to not be able to fulfill this OCD (be it 'impossible' character/level gating or 5* requirements in PVE), of course players will get angry, because this game has already filtered out those who does not have an urge to 'collect them all'. Especially when there is gate which is not 'if only I had 100k more ISO' or 'I just need 2 more covers for this hero'.
  • brontag1
    brontag1 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Another issue tied in with this.  For Hearts of Darkness, you need 5* Doc Oc to have any chance at top placement rewards.  Why on earth did you (for the second time) put the 5* needed as one of the 3 latest 5* characters (probably to force us to blow through our hoard of tokens).  For me, since I don't have 5* Doc Oc I'll be limited to at most 1 rogue cover as a reward which will also limit me on the shield training event.  Your game, but sure does limit the 'fun'.
  • MirrorKnight
    MirrorKnight Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    It would be really nice if the Call For Backup nodes let you run with less than 3 characters.
    I have Cyc and XFW at 250+, but my Prof maxes at 188, so I can't do the CFB3, even though my 2 characters could probably still do it.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Good to know this event is locked to paying players only. I don't mind the required characters so much, but to find out it has level restrictions as well. That's very annoying. I don't have Cyclops so I can't even finish one row.
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Still trying to figure out why it wasn't just any 3 xmen for the required missions. I have prof x and xfw with enough covers to level both to 209, but that'd be a huge waste of iso I'd rather use on 4*s that are actually decent in pvp. Could have gotten by just as easily with cyc/iceman/jean. Heck, I could have done it with beast/deadpool/cyc 3*s (all over 209) if they were allowed.
  • Kaazz
    Kaazz Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Was having fun with this event, buzzed thru all the initial nodes, scored a Rogue cover - yay! It's was yellow - BOO! But, hey, I can live with that, just glad to have the required char for the first of the required nodes at the bottom. So, cool, I beat Storm, thanks to use of a teamup. Awesome, I think! On to next node. Uh, hold up, what? I need lvl 78 Rogue??!? But I just got the char. How am I supposed to get any further covers?? Oh... I see. THESE LAST NODES ARE ONLY FOR PAYING PLAYERS. Either cough up some actual $$ or go home. I went home. Kthxbye, you tinykitty dev team!!! Grrrr!
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Glad I found this thread.

Whats the matter D3, did the money printing machine break?

I wish I could get the $200 back I paid into this game, and I have been playing less than one year.

I will not pay you another dime ever again, and will encourage others to do the same.  There is absolutely no reason for a new player to start this game, when all you do is lavish riches on veterans.

I have all of the three stars champed but Elektra, and could easily progress if it wasn’t for your 4* requirements.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

And boy, we're glad you and your unique, eloquent feedback found this thread, too.

I will not pay you another dime ever again, and will encourage others to do the same.  There is absolutely no reason for a new player to start this game, when all you do is lavish riches on veterans.

Seriously though. I'm pretty sure all FTP games do this. I know Star Wars Whatever (Galaxies?) and Contest of Champions do it. MPQ at least has the decency to make acquiring new characters plausible for 100% free characters, and it's getting easier all the time.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

So now they are going to require us to roster, cover, AND level characters to keep pace. 

Geez V. What pace are you going to be unable to keep up with by not having 3 CP, one LT, one Rogue cover, and an hour's worth of ISO, even if  they repeated this event every season? The pace of getting every reward in the game? I have never been able to keep up with that and don't see that I'm losing out on much because of it. The pace of being able to stay competitive with the top dogs? Again, I don't see how this has much effect on that. The pace I look at is my pace of championing 4*s and keeping ahead of the new character release rate and the effect on that is negligible, to say the least.  

I don't deny that trying to keep ahead of the new character release rate is a struggle (at least for me - my issue right now is covers, not ISO) but for me, a lot of that is because of my OCD desire to champion all of them since I could probably do as well as am now in PvE and PvP by using the champions I have and rostering the new ones as they come. I'd like to be able to compete in SCL 9 one day, but I suspect that will require either 5* champs or levelling up my 4* champs to 330+, both of which are a long way off. Not sure what kind of roster I'd need just to finish the 5* nodes in SCL9 (since I haven't tried yet).
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Options
    astrp3 said:

, and an hour's worth of ISO, 
    I think the total iso you can earn from this event is 19650.
    would you explain how to get almost 20k iso in one hour,
    do you mean if I play 10 hours, I will be able to get 200k iso? I would love that.
  • Michaelcles
    Options

And boy, we're glad you and your unique, eloquent feedback found this thread, too.

Seriously though. I'm pretty sure all FTP games do this. I know Star Wars Whatever (Galaxies?) and Contest of Champions do it. MPQ at least has the decency to make acquiring new characters plausible for 100% free characters, and it's getting easier all the time.
    Hey, other people do this, so it must be OK!!!

if it’s so easy for you, then delete your game progress and start over.
  • astrp3
    Options
    Well I'm not cynical enough to view this as a massive cash grab. As an "optional" event that everyone can technically play (with limited success), I think it's fine. Like the all-season "extra" gauntlet everyone's been asking for.

I don't see it as a massive cash grab either, but I do think it was an attempt to get people to pay to get Rogue covers. I have no major problem with that - though I can see why some do (though not the level of vitriol against it). This is just a guess, of course, since I have nano inside info on why the devs do what they do, but I can't think of any other reason. 

I originally thought it was done to throw a bone to the whales, but that would be a pretty skimpy bone for them (do whales - assuming that such exist and are catered too - really need an LT and three CP?). I originally didn't think many people would pay to champion Rogue either, but when I actually thought it about it, it wouldn't be THAT expensive. If you got 4 covers from events (not too difficult), you could probably champ her for $100-150 (unless my calculations are WAY off, which is a distinct possibility). I'm certainly not willing to spend that kind of money for a player I'll eventually champ anyway, but there are probably players who would. OTOH, I can't imagine any of them doing so for the paltry rewards in this event, so I'm still a bit mystified.

As for the "cash grab" part, to me, a "cash grab" is a crass, blatant attempt to make money, usually while providing no benefit to the non-buyer.. Some here see the new event as just that, but I'm not going that far.  I don't think that just trying to make money on a game qualifies as a cash grab, however.
  • Michaelcles
    Options
    I just left my alliance, goodbye MPQ.  You have a golden goose, but you cooked it.
  • astrp3
    Options
    Lucifier said:
    astrp3 said:

, and an hour's worth of ISO, 
    I think the total iso you can earn from this event is 19650.
    would you explain how to get almost 20k iso in one hour,
    do you mean if I play 10 hours, I will be able to get 200k iso? I would love that.
    Sorry. I was only counting the 10k ISO for the final progression reward, since you can get the rest just by having the three required 4*s at level 94 (which I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, the OP had). I get 10k ISO just by doing DDQ every morning. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kaazz said:
    Was having fun with this event, buzzed thru all the initial nodes, scored a Rogue cover - yay! It's was yellow - BOO! But, hey, I can live with that, just glad to have the required char for the first of the required nodes at the bottom. So, cool, I beat Storm, thanks to use of a teamup. Awesome, I think! On to next node. Uh, hold up, what? I need lvl 78 Rogue??!? But I just got the char. How am I supposed to get any further covers?? Oh... I see. THESE LAST NODES ARE ONLY FOR PAYING PLAYERS. Either cough up some actual $$ or go home. I went home. Kthxbye, you tinykitty dev team!!! Grrrr!
    The event lasts a week, so you'll be able to get more Rogue covers from both PvE and PvP before it ends. Sure, that last node is inaccessible for almost everyone, but it's definitely possible to unlock more nodes and possibly getting all progression rewards without paying anything. And is missing out on one legendary token that big a deal?
  • ProfessorGumby
    ProfessorGumby Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Kaazz said:
    How am I supposed to get any further covers?? Oh... I see. THESE LAST NODES ARE ONLY FOR PAYING PLAYERS. Either cough up some actual $$ or go home.
    Or... open the two HoD tokens you got for the Call for Backup missions. I was lucky and got a 2nd Rogue cover there, so I could play the Magneto node.
    Or... you could play the HoD event and get another Rogue cover... or five!
    Or... you could play the Hollowpoint Kiss event and get another Rogue cover.
    Or... you could play the Close Contact event and get another Rogue cover.
    Or... you could play the events that are awarding tokens for the soon to be open Rogue and Friends vault to get another Rogue cover.
    This event lasts for seven days... plenty of time to get some more covers and play a few more nodes... if you want. Nobody said you had to finish it today... there aren't any placement rewards to win.

Or... you could just "go home"
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I hope some one in charge gives a tinykitty about their game and does not do the same thing for the next two releases. Gambit deserves better.
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    astrp3 said:
    Well I'm not cynical enough to view this as a massive cash grab. As an "optional" event that everyone can technically play (with limited success), I think it's fine. Like the all-season "extra" gauntlet everyone's been asking for.

I don't see it as a massive cash grab either, but I do think it was an attempt to get people to pay to get Rogue covers. I have no major problem with that - though I can see why some do (though not the level of vitriol against it). This is just a guess, of course, since I have nano inside info on why the devs do what they do, but I can't think of any other reason. 

I originally thought it was done to throw a bone to the whales, but that would be a pretty skimpy bone for them (do whales - assuming that such exist and are catered too - really need an LT and three CP?). I originally didn't think many people would pay to champion Rogue either, but when I actually thought it about it, it wouldn't be THAT expensive. If you got 4 covers from events (not too difficult), you could probably champ her for $100-150 (unless my calculations are WAY off, which is a distinct possibility). I'm certainly not willing to spend that kind of money for a player I'll eventually champ anyway, but there are probably players who would. OTOH, I can't imagine any of them doing so for the paltry rewards in this event, so I'm still a bit mystified.

As for the "cash grab" part, to me, a "cash grab" is a crass, blatant attempt to make money, usually while providing no benefit to the non-buyer.. Some here see the new event as just that, but I'm not going that far.  I don't think that just trying to make money on a game qualifies as a cash grab, however.
    That's exactly where I am with this event.  I can't figure out what the real intent was.

The incentive just isn't there to spend, the rewards are too paltry compared to the price.  I find it hard to believe they would honestly think this would drum up a lot of cash. 

So what was the goal?

A fun new thing for the players? That would be awesome, and they've done that recently with some of the new character events.  Problem is, this event really isn't fun for a lot of players.  Epic fail if that was the goal.

Busting hoards?  Maybe, but there are far easier ways to get a Rogue cover, some CP and an LT so that just doesn't seem to fit either.

I'm out of ideas TBH.

Oh well.  Going to get ready for the start of HoD and get a cover the old fashioned way.  Grinding!  Cuz that's better.

Right?