S.H.I.E.L.D. Training, and 'Rogue and Friends' Vault (9/27/17)

Options

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Ducky said:
    @mexus those mini-events also are only 6-8 nodes in depth. This event is much larger. 

@Alsmir There absolutely was complaining, or did you forget they had that 5SL essential node that barely anyone could play. This event is no different than that. You can play some of the nodes, but not all. 
    The last one that rewarded Kingpin and another (Was it Ghost Rider?) was just as long, with no leveling requirements.  Besides, it isn't like plowing though a few more lvl 20 mutant goon nodes makes for any real "depth.". 

And the 5SL node was for extra ISO, it didn't lock people out of getting the cover.  Significant difference.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have come to realize that mostly what stings about this is that it is the Anniversary Event. Here and in pretty much every other game I've played, Anniversary Events are chock full of goodies that are easily accessible to everyone, as long as you've been playing for longer than say 3 weeks.

This locks OUT a significant amount of people, and yes I recognize that the rewards are fairly trivial on purpose to off-set that. But it takes all the steam and enjoyment of it being an Anniversary Event out of it for me.

I couldn't complete the initial GoG2 release Event because I wasn't lucky enough to pull 5*SL in time. Okay, sucks. But - whatever. That's the game.

This. Doesn't feel like whatever. It feels like a major letdown for something I've been looking forward to for awhile. Right down to having decided that the Anniversary Cover store was going to be a good place to spend my 24k in HP, and now having a reduced price regular-style cover store instead. I'm sorry, but I'm not up for spending that much HP on what is sure to be a majority of 2*star characters. If it was at least guaranteed that they were going to be 3* or better, I'd be on top of that. But I'm not converting 24k in hp to iso (via 2* farming or straight selling of the covers, either way) at that cost ratio.

I can only hope there is actually more Anniversary stuff on the horizon that will feel rewarding and celebratory.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can we stop with the defense that "it's a new event, anything extra you get is more than the nothing you would have received without this event?"

First off, no, this isn't a gift from the devs.  They spent time and energy on this event, this will not be the only time we see it.  Off the top of my head(other than boss rush) i can't think of anything else that they only put out once.  If they create an event, they will use it again.

Secondly, this is a game. The whole point is to play it.  You want to limit the top, or just some of the better, rewards is understandable.  But locking people out after a few nodes, and for the vast majority of anyone playing for a short period of time, locking them out after just a couple, is just plain bad.

You want to claim on the behalf of the devs this is a thank you to the vets. They never said that, so i am just as free to interpret their actions as you are.  I was able to get the cover for rogue just fine, but i can see past my own roster.  I can understand why people are upset, and instead of just telling them to accept what little they did receive, maybe open up your mind a little bit and look at it from their perspective. 
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have come to realize that mostly what stings about this is that it is the Anniversary Event. Here and in pretty much every other game I've played, Anniversary Events are chock full of goodies that are easily accessible to everyone, as long as you've been playing for longer than say 3 weeks.

Why do people keep referring to this as an "anniversary" event? Did I miss something in the announcement? I don't recall them ever saying this was "THE" anniversary event or even that it was an anniversary event at all. The only anniversary-related announcement I remember is the one for the anniversary sale.

I was actually assuming that this wasn't an anniversary event and that the anniversary festivities weren't really starting until next Tuesday or Thursday. I was also assuming that "THE" anniversary event would be announced next week, but it looks like maybe I'm wrong. If this was the only special anniversary event we're getting, color me disappointed. 

• Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    astrp3 said:

Why do people keep referring to this as an "anniversary" event? Did I miss something in the announcement? I don't recall them ever saying this was "THE" anniversary event or even that it was an anniversary event at all. The only anniversary-related announcement I remember is the one for the anniversary sale.

I was actually assuming that this wasn't an anniversary event and that the anniversary festivities weren't really starting until next Tuesday or Thursday. I was also assuming that "THE" anniversary event would be announced next week, but it looks like maybe I'm wrong. If this was the only special anniversary event we're getting, color me disappointed. 

It's not an anniversary event, the people saying that are incorrect. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    astrp3 said:

This is not an anniversary events. Those will have little party hats on them.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Saltiness went way high in thread since I went to bed. Don't really blame.you guys either, as for someone with all 3 required xmen already, I never even considered that you had to also level each one with a ton of iso to reach that one grand epic...4 star rogue cover.

So saltiness of losing out on 4 cp and LT seems small in comparison of the leaps and hoops people have to jump thru to obtain one 4 star cover.

I'm still salty about that 10k iso though, that's just the cherry on top.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lucifier said:
    if you can make 20k iso in 1 hours play, does not mean it is 20k iso / hour.
    Correct... No one said that... If you assumed it then... you know how assumptions work :-p

The overall point is that 10K or 20K is not a lot in the global scheme of the game.  I make on average 53K per day.  Yeah it would be nice to get the extra 10K reward at the end, but over the course of time (unless this becomes a regular event) I'm not gonna notice the difference of not getting it.  It's certainly not worth throwing hundreds of dollars or thousands of saved up HP chasing champing a new character instantly.
  • astrp3
    Options
    smkspy said:
    Saltiness went way high in thread since I went to bed. Don't really blame.you guys either, as for someone with all 3 required xmen already, I never even considered that you had to also level each one with a ton of iso to reach that one grand epic...4 star rogue cover.

So saltiness of losing out on 4 cp and LT seems small in comparison of the leaps and hoops people have to jump thru to obtain one 4 star cover.

I'm still salty about that 10k iso though, that's just the cherry on top.

Ahoy, MPQ maties. What be up with this "salty" thing? That's like the 3rd or 4th time I've seen this phrase used in this thread. Is that just a forum thing or is it another of the many phrases that you young 'uns have been using for the last few years that I'm unaware of (kind of like the whole "much" thing that passed me by and that I find so irksome - "stupid much?" yep!)
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I understand the anger and frustration felt by many. But consider this:

Unless I am wrong, until now, you have NEVER been able to collect a 4* cover on day 1 without spending many $'s or having extreme luck.  Is it gated? yes. Is it unfair to some?  Maybe.  But dilution is a bigger culprit here than anything else.

Anyone who has the correct characters can collect a brand new 4* cover with minimal effort and playtime on Day 1, not wait 4 days while hoping to place high enough.  That is pretty cool.

Early character access is one of the most valuable commodities in this game.  The tokens have bad odds because to some people will literally pay almost anything to have the character first.  Bragging rights are highly valued by super whales.  If odds were better, then more players (even some FTP's with saved HP) would be running new 4's out of the gate, and the allure of "first" would not drive sales.  So we should not be surprised or disappointed that the common player won't get covers from the store.

I had another thought too:  there are players that are hardcore X-men fans.  You probably have a champ that is not great in game, but you champed as a fan. XFW and Prof X both fit that to some degree.  So people who champed the X-Men as fans, get a nice bonus this time, as a much requested X-character enters the game.

Finally, a lot of people bring up past events that rewarded 4* covers to anyone who could beat the nodes. None of those events were available day 1.  It was usually about a week or so later.  So the argument does not hold up when considering my earlier point:  early character access is very, very valuable.

Rogue will be a progression reward in the next PVE.  She may be a reward in an upcoming boss event.  You will be able to cover and champ Rogue if you put in the playtime.
    I champed XForce Wolverine for this very reason. I use him quite a bit too, so no regrets there. I would also have a champed Professor X but RNG has left me with a 5/5/0 build and I only level characters high enough to beat their Crash until they have 13 covers.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    astrp3 said:

Hmmm. It's a good point, I think I made the connection because the "Anniversary Sale" is this week and is listed in a post with a bunch of other stuff around the Rogue release event stuff. Also that I wouldn't expect two back-to-back bigger event goings-on with no break in between.

If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be wrong.
  • astrp3
    Options
    Off the top of my head(other than boss rush) i can't think of anything else that they only put out once.  If they create an event, they will use it again.

Did they ever repeat the Coulson event? I thought they only ran it once, but maybe it was twice. You know, the one that ended with a cliff hanger (wasn't it something about a new weapon/creature in a crate or something like that?) that hinted there would be a part two that never came. Or maybe that was just a reference to something that was coming in Marvel: Agents of Shield.

• Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    Options
    astrp3 said:
    Lucifier said:
    if you get 40k iso everyday, then 20k iso is half day worth of iso (not one hour) as you can not for example keep playing pvp for one hour and get 20k iso.

I said that 10k was "an hour's worth" of ISO. Meaning that you can get that in 1-1.5 hours of playing every day by either playing DDQ (which actually only takes 15 minutes) or when you are doing your PvE initial or final grind (assuming you do PvE).
    first I did not mean any disrespect to you or to other, sorry if it looks that way.

Edited: your first comment was "Geez V. What pace are you going to be unable to keep up with by not having 3 CP, one LT, one Rogue cover, and an hour's worth of ISO,"

I only got 400 iso from this event, so I almost lost 20k iso.

anyway, 10k is 1 hour worth of iso, in my opinion (if player can make 40k iso/day) that is 1/4 day (6 hours) worth of iso.

I think it is a way of perspective, how we look at things.

for example (i think i make 30k iso per day, not sure), if i lose 60k iso, I can make in 2 days (I have to wait 2 days) no matter how many hours I play / day, so this is 2 day worth of iso for me.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow, this is BIG, and really BAD, now MPQ is pay to play?!?!?! You are telling me that we need a 13 covers Rogue to finish the event? This is probably the worst this game has ever done. I am really surprised they got there. One thing is to have really steep prices for iso, HP and covers, but at least you could play all the content. Now you need to pay (and a A LOT) to be able to finish it.

Again, wow, this is ... I don't even know what to say. I am really happy I stopped spending money in this game, and a bit sad I supported it for so long. 
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    Options
    broll said:
    Lucifier said:
    Correct... No one said that... If you assumed it then... you know how assumptions work :-p

The overall point is that 10K or 20K is not a lot in the global scheme of the game.  I make on average 53K per day.  Yeah it would be nice to get the extra 10K reward at the end, but over the course of time (unless this becomes a regular event) I'm not gonna notice the difference of not getting it.  It's certainly not worth throwing hundreds of dollars or thousands of saved up HP chasing champing a new character instantly.
    Correction (Edited): someone said "Geez V. What pace are you going to be unable to keep up with by not having 3 CP, one LT, one Rogue cover, and an hour's worth of ISO,"

I only got 400 iso from this event, so I almost lost 20k iso.
     (10k or 20k, even tho that was not exactly the point).

I did not said, I am going to throw hundreds of dollars or thousands of saved up HP chasing champing a new character instantly.

I did not said that... If you assumed it then... you know how assumptions work :-p

P.S. I do not know how assumption works.

P.S. English is not my language, so all or most of metaphorical sentences I do not understand it.

:smile: 
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I got ~10k iso and a new release 4* cover for playing some fun matches.  I can't get the rest, but that's ok. 

The amount of *complainers* in this thread would be amazing to me if I hadn't been on this forum for 2 years already.

**Removed personal attack - Ducky

• astrp3
    Options
    Lucifier said:
    first I did not mean any disrespect to you or to other, sorry if it looks that way.

No problem. Sorry if I got a bit snarky. I'll put my dander down.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well, I made it to the "Rogue cover" node. 274 Wolverine, 272 Cyclops, and 100 Professor X are exempt from competing. I'm a huge X-Men fan and have advocated for more Mutants in the game forever, so its a let down. The positive is that those Rogue covers will come soon enough. The negative is the implementation of this event. I could beat that node with my characters at their current levels too!

Now the question becomes: Do I try to get enough ISO to take Professor X to 209 or do I just continue on with Gamora? I'm pretty sure the Forum answer would be to continue on with Gamora. So I'm really asking myself what I want to do. Level 100 to 229 is 207,170 ISO. So 209 would be slightly less than that. I'm guessing about 3,000/level at that range, so something like 227-60 = 167,000 ISO needed. I've got 74,000 right now. I could do it. 

GSBW is 239 and SW is 217. I don't think that would mess with "Charlies Angels", but I don't know. I don't think I've ever used that combo. 

Decisions are hard.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just want to remind everyone that this is NOT a new character release event. Rogue's release event is 'Hearts of Darkness', which is even more generous than most new character release events as they expanded her cover placement rewards to the top 200. There is also an upcoming event ('Webbed Wonder,' if I recall) that gives out one of her covers for completing a node. If anything, they have been more generous with this new character release than usual.

'S.H.I.E.L.D. Training' is entirely supplemental, it's a bonus. I completely understand being disappointed in not being able to achieve every single reward, or being prevented from getting her cover because you don't have your characters at the right levels, but how is that type of gating any different from not being able to got top placement in a PvE because you're missing the required 4*, or better yet not being able to compete in a Crash of Titans node because you either don't have the 4* character or you do, but not at enough covers and levels to be able to compete?