S.H.I.E.L.D. Training, and 'Rogue and Friends' Vault (9/27/17)

Comments

• mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    DeNappa said:
    I think (but correct me if I'm wrong -- this is mostly based on my personal view on this :P) that most people will not have too big of a problem with the bottom set of 'paygated' nodes, where you can earn extra goodies based on how much covers/levels your Rogue is. What's more of an issue is that this is a 'earn a cover for a new character'-event (of which they have run successful ones in the past) that has stupid/arbitrary additional requirements that probably 80% or more of the players can't even meet.
    People were definitely blowing up and employing histrionics about the bottom set of nodes, but when we found out that getting the Rogue cover had some roster requirements things went south fast. I don't sympathize with the former at all, but I do sympathize with the latter a little bit. I understand the disappointment. And if this were an isolated 'earn a cover for a new character'-event then I'd agree with you completely, but it's not, it's something new and different.

The actual new character release event is 'Hearts of Darkness,' which is more generous than usual given the addition of SCL9. Starting tomorrow (October 1st) there will also be a run of 'Webbed Wonder,' in which Rogue will be a progression reward. And now we also have 'S.H.I.E.L.D. Training,' a new bonus event for those that can meet the requirements. So in reality this might be their most generous new character release to date, but based on everyone's reactions here you'd think they'd come for our firstborn in the night.

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    In my bracket of SHIELD Training, the leader is on 6000 points and has a level 229 5/5/0 Rogue.  Second is on 5000 and has a level 127 0/5/0 Rogue.  I'm amazed that someone is disciplined (or rich) enough to have 2880 CP ready to buy 4 covers.  Doubly amazed at the leader.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    OJSP said:
    2880 CP ready to buy 4 covers.
    Umm.. 480 cps to buy 4 covers.

Oopsy.  It's 720 for a 5 cover, 120 for a 4* cover.  Sometimes it's as if I don't know this game at all.  Or buy covers with CP.  Okay, divide my amazement by 6.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was very excited for this event, and still am. The caveat is that my time is precious, and I have a FTP roster that is old enough to be in 5* land, so the gates for the Rogue cover were not a problem for me.

Before, to get a new release 4*, I either had to grind for PVE placement (which I hate), or wait till PVP progression. Then they added PVE partial progression, which is a life-saver. So adding a way to get it in 15 minutes made me stoked. Don't have to do any of the earlier methods to get a Rogue cover, but if I decide to, I can get tiny bits more of CP.

So it's a thumbs up from me. I also don't mind gating the cover, though it have been a little high. But if they didn't level gate it, they would have gated it by making the nodes too hard for lower rosters anyway (like in Gauntlet), so I don't think it would have mattered.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
      When you go bankrupt and are forced to close, I am literally going to have a party to celebrate it. 

So because you don't like the policies of a mobile game that no one is forcing you to play and that has provided thousands of FTP players (possibly including you - not sure if you're fully FTP or not) with hundreds of hours of free entertainment derived from the work of others who weren't obligated to give anyone anything, you'd celebrate dozens of people losing their livelihoods (including those who had nothing to do with the decisions you don't like) and thousands of players who do enjoy the game being deprived of an (admittedly minor) source of enjoyment? Sounds a bit harsh to me.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Wait, I take it back. I forgot that they paygated two CP, 10k ISO, and an LT (less that what I just earned in an hour playing PvE). They deserve to die.

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some of the replies in here are hilarious. I agree that the event shouldn't be locking people out, as I did comment earlier in the thread, but wishing people to lose their jobs over 10K iso? C'mon people, get a grip. 
  • Urcookin
    Urcookin Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Urcookin said....
    I've paid well over $500 and on day 1848 and don't have the level on the two characters I need. Two of them have been vaulted until recently so I can't just go get them. Telling me the rewards aren't for me or anyone else is about the dumbest comment I've read today.
    Wow, he started a year before the game launched!

Theres a thread in tips that would love your input regarding days 1460 - 1868 and beyond!
    Typo Day 648 

• murmit
    murmit Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Is a boss rush going to happen for anneversery?
  • PresidentDoom2020
    PresidentDoom2020 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    well the RNG gods gave me one more Professor X because I'm the chosen champion so I got my free Rogue cover. I do still think that the amount of covers/ISO Rogue needs to get you full progression in the event is a bit too draconian for a character who just came out and isn't in the tokens. if you ever want to do something like this again I'd suggest first of all making it a required amount of covers instead of levels because you'll shaft people who don't have even color distribution because LOL RANDOM DRAWS so they can't make the required level by like...4-8 measly levels? and for a team themed event you should have just gone ahead and made everyone of that team viable (except maybe 5*s I can understand not letting them in because they beat any level gate right out of the box). a lot less people would be mad if you could use say... champed 3* Xmen instead.

That said I would like more team themed events. like do a classic Avengers one... a west coast Avengers themed one... a SHIELD one... a villains one... a Spider people themed one.. a Cosmic themed one...
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, after seeing the Rogue and Friends vault, and that its tokens come from her PVP and from Webbed Wonder, I realized: even whales are screwed out of the final rewards of SHIELD Trainng. Since there is no store specifically for her PVP, the usual method to cover her doesn't exist. Typically, the correct method is to wait for the PVP and draw from there, since the featured 4* is typically the only 4* in the store. Now, they can either go with the awful drop rate of Hearts of Darkness, or empty and reset the R&Fs vault. At the very least, those who willingly shell out will be shelling out more than usual and many will probably decide that it's not worth covering her.
  • PresidentDoom2020
    PresidentDoom2020 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    murmit said:
    Is a boss rush going to happen for anneversery?
    I sure hope so. And i hope the bosses are all lvl 800 1*s. Wearing their single stars like big gold badges, and big black cowboy hats.

Shurriff Tony #35, Taskmistress Yelena, and Boss Juggs takin' turns riding players like rented party mules.

Now that's a visual!

1* Storm with a 7 green AP thunderbolt that's an instant kill attack.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    We need a HP suck for this shield training event. Never in MPQ history has it been more appropriate.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    I started only 250 days or so ago and only bought VIP fir my alliance. I was only able to play 3 nodes on the rogue event. Glad they kept bugging me for a review "Don't bother starting this game, they treat new players like lepers"
  • Uber303
    Uber303 Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Disappointing, play all the preliminary missions, Get to the final node, and I need 209 prof when he's sat at 188 with no where to go.

i don't like the idea of alienating a large portion of the player base. As someone said, it's like dangling a carrot In Front of us and just smacks of a wind up.  I personally think the rogue cover should have been more accessible, was just disappointing to get all the way through the nodes only to fall 
    At the last hurdle. Low blow guys.

that said, i really like the idea of the event and think it should be continued, would be great iF this cloudless be integrated into the prologue
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    astrp3 said:
      When you go bankrupt and are forced to close, I am literally going to have a party to celebrate it. 

So because you don't like the policies of a mobile game that no one is forcing you to play and that has provided thousands of FTP players (possibly including you - not sure if you're fully FTP or not) with hundreds of hours of free entertainment derived from the work of others who weren't obligated to give anyone anything, you'd celebrate dozens of people losing their livelihoods (including those who had nothing to do with the decisions you don't like) and thousands of players who do enjoy the game being deprived of an (admittedly minor) source of enjoyment? Sounds a bit harsh to me.
    Or maybe he will celebrate justice?

PS. As far as I know there isn't a free Rogue cover for blindly defending devs.
  • AlluAllu
    AlluAllu Posts: 86 Match Maker
    So unfortunately I decided to quit about a month ago, because I don't have enough free time to progress fast enough. But I still enjoy reading this forum and finding out what's new. I think this event has actually been healthy. Some people here seem to be really entitled and greedy. You just can't always get everything that you are aware of. Just get what you can from this game and let go of the rest. Now, saying that getting more stuff would make the game more fun, that's a good suggestion. It's just silly to rage about it. 
  • throughsilver
    throughsilver Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Calnexin said:
    I was reading the forums a lot of yesterday, and got the chance to play through SHIELD training last night.  The Rogue nodes mostly just seem silly to me.  I could see the concept working if the cover requirements were 1-5.  That would make sense - as events end you have the opportunity to earn covers and come back for the next node. But the last node full covers?  How did that concept even pass the initial fit of laughter, much less through development?

Dan: "OK, we want to get people really excited about our X-men anniversary event.  We've got good material - these characters are constant favorites in player polls and data indicates 90% of players will invest in roster slots to have them immediately.  What's the best way to monetize that?"

Dave: "How about we incentivize them to fully-cover the first release in a week?  Then they'll buy a roster slot and a bunch of 40-packs!"

Dan: "Great idea!  We'll start with Rogue, and put her in the Danger Room.  No wait, we don't have rights to that... Training Simulator!  At the end of that, we'll have Rogue essential nodes that needs more covers for each one to play."

Dave: "Technical issue.  The game isn't good at counting covers.  The count algorithm interferes with the code in other ways.  Level restrictions would be way easier to implement."

Dan: "OK, that's fine.  We'll set the minimum level requirement equal to the first level unlocked by the next cover."

Dave: "That'll work.  So to reach the maximum, they'll have to place first in every event, reach progression in CL9 in the next event, spend a ton of cash on random token draws, and spend 375k Iso to level Rogue.  What should we set as the reward for completing progression?"

Dan: "Eh, 10k sounds good."

Bruce: "I hate Charlie's Angels"

Dan: "OK, Bruce.  We'll get right on that."
    I'm going to skip the last few pages and just say this is bang on the money. 

I like to finish events. Like, complete them. If I can't, I want it to be because it's hard (third clear of 5* SL essential on CL9). I'm experienced at the game. I'm on day 1404 or something pathetic. 

So... I don't really care about the level 209 threshold on the X-Men. I had two of them in champ and the other fully covered. I breezed through everything.

Got Rogue. 

Passed the first Rogue essential. 

No further. 

I get that it is possible to get enough covers to finish this event without paying hundreds of wedge. It's just incredibly unlikely. I spent ages on the last PvE and got one more Rogue out of it. 

If you're going to force insta-champing of 4* then you not only alienate most of your user base, but you also adversely affect long term planning. That 4* is supposed to take months to build up. Now, super hyped, beloved Rogue will be here today, done tomorrow. There must be no satisfaction to completing this event. 

I get the whole "you're getting a free cover and free ISO!" smokescreen. But if we didn't have this bonus event, there wouldn't be nothing in its place. We might have something like the Coulson, Ant Man or Cho events. They were fun. 

Whales won't even like this because what would they want with one measly legendary token at the end of it? 

This is only good for the coffers (and I won' insult the devs, as the game is largely well coded and I doubt they make strategic decisions), and for the stans who defend every detail like a battered wife ("no, but the ISO! We wouldn't have had that without this troll of an event. The decision makers love us really!").

@Brigby if you are reading this, please let the powers that be know that this is not a great event. It's an interesting experiment for sure, and novelty is to be applauded, but this one fell on its face. 
  • Zobaken
    Zobaken Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2017

Great. A PVE which gives you Rogue as a progression reward requires Rogue as an essential to do it. Considering the special event ripoff and the impossibility for a mid-tier player to get a new 4* char in PVP placement that makes Rogue almost impossible to get on release. I have no words.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Zobaken said:
    Great. A PVE which gives you Rogue as a progression reward requires Rogue as an essential to do it. I have no words.
    That's how every new release PVE has worked since they put 4*s into progression...  This is certainly nothing new.

You should have no problem getting the progression without it by the 2nd sub or so.