This Game Isn't Fun Anymore

Comments

• We should make our own marvel puzzle quest, with blackjack and hookers.
  • I've been playing almost from day 1, and have finally overcome the sunken cost fallacy to quit the game (I have a high level roster with most 3* cover maxed and few level maxed as well), if not for the alliance, I would have quit earlier, the reasons are obvious: being punished for playing well, mmr, SCALING, I have been competing against arbitrary design choices more than anything else, timing of event end times, particularly pve is also a baffling design choice, the current pve expected me to monitor it constantly in order to play in the last hour.

The devs' baffling reluctance to compensate for their screw ups and general disdain for the player base are also a big factor, they have, in my recollection, never taken responsibility for bad design choices, unattainable progression rewards, broken events, stealth changes etc. rather they ignore it until it goes away, or the players run off to compete for the next shiny carrot. The fact that respec took so long to roll out is crazy.

Generally, I have a problem with the F2P nature of the game, the whole health pack system, where you are punished for wanting to play more, I generally avoid F2P like the plague (Clash of Clans? - no thanks) but it can be done really well - Plants vs Zombies 2 and Hearthstone are great F2P games, great game design, iap's are not forced on you, just my $0.02.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quake Live is my favorite f2p game of all time.
    LoL doesn't do a bad job either, shame the community is terrible.

Devs have made a lot of strange choices that's for sure.
    I wonder if they can reflect on the state of the game currently and the satisfaction of the playerbase and say they're proud of their game?
    The base game itself is great, but they've made just as many bad turns as good ones in my opinion.

With the current PvE subs, it's made it more of a lottery really but completely solves the timezone issue as the ending time is completely random.
    At first I was a bit put off by it but looking at the whole picture of it, I don't think it's that bad. It's a different kind of vice for some, but you can't expect to make everyone happy.

They for some reason seem to consistently find ways to make players feel "punished" for playing however.
    The health pack system is definitely reminiscent of games like Candy Crush or those Saga puzzle games, it definitely gives it more of that casual/cash grab element. I'm not sold on the idea but I've played this game long enough to kind of get past it and it hasn't really ruined my enjoyment of the game in the past.
    It does seem a bit strange however that they do seem to be trying to encourage people to not play their game as much, although maybe this is a byproduct of just trying to make the game more accessible to the casual masses.

A great problem which has been stated time and time again is their lack of communication with the forum playerbase, although I guess this wouldn't be such an issue if everyone was rosy and people had no complaints about their game choices - kind of like how it appears the 2k XCOM forum works; there are a few complaints about how the devs don't communicate with the people there but everyone loves the game so... yeah - which unfortunately is not the case here.

The whole article on how the devs moved to increase their ARPDAU instead of prioritizing increasing playerbase and lifespan/fun of the game was a little disheartening but in some aspects understandable. People got to eat! Bills to pay and all that.
    I am worried for the future of the game though as I can't see how they can sustain and/or maintain increase their playerbase through their current changes in the game.
    If it wasn't for alliances I probably would've taken a break from it a few weeks ago.

Still time for them to pull something out of the hat though and make us feel foolish for ever doubting them... right guys? Right??

Echo?
  • I too have decided to leave MPQ, effective today.

I started playing since Day 1 it was launched on Android (somewhere October 2013); this was the first game i actually SPENT (with emphasis) on in-app purchases.. But the game has stopped being fun for a while.

The only reason i have stayed on was because i was part of an uber-awesome alliance (props to 5DeadlyAlliances!), the camaraderie and highly competitive nature of the alliance made it fun.

However a good community doesn't resolve the underlying flaws.

I hate the PvP rehash. Same old tournaments, same old prizes. I have been playing for so long i have every 3* character i care about maxed out to 141. Giving the same prizes over and over again is a big F-U to me. There is no progression, it is all about "fun-balancing" and letting everyone catch up, so why bother playing so hard? A good game should not require players to TANK in order to lower their MMR.

I hate the PVE and the **** point system. No game should feel like work. I should not need to log on exactly every 8 hours or 12 hours for a million days to play in order to win. And i should not need a PhD in advanced mathematics to calculate the obscure point scoring system. Also with the **** rubberbanding and scaling that has been talked at length in this thread that I don't need to elaborate further.... and trust me this Season event is going to **** as well.

So here I am , leaving on a high (awesome Top Gun tournament, suck it X-Men! You have a serious case of 5Deadly-envy, Nazerith even sounds like our lovable Klingsor)

Cheers all - till next time....Salud!
  • This just saddens me. I have become a MPQ addict over the last few months.

It seems like the game is just bleeding out with a loss of great players with great rosters. Which I guess from a transitional stand point, that is good for me because if all the seasoned players walk away, then I can get my 3* transition easier. But "easy" is not what makes this game fun for me. It's the fact that I am very competitive in nature. I enjoy going up against rosters that are bigger and better than me and trying to time my moves just right to take them down and win so I can level up.

So if the seasoned players are being run off in hordes by the changes, and I make the 3* transition faster, then the game just ends faster for me too, because then I will be in the same position as the players that are now leaving. icon_e_sad.gificon_e_sad.gificon_e_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
  • morphy wrote:
    I too have decided to leave MPQ, effective today.

I started playing since Day 1 it was launched on Android (somewhere October 2013); this was the first game i actually SPENT (with emphasis) on in-app purchases.. But the game has stopped being fun for a while.

The only reason i have stayed on was because i was part of an uber-awesome alliance (props to 5DeadlyAlliances!), the camaraderie and highly competitive nature of the alliance made it fun.

However a good community doesn't resolve the underlying flaws.

I hate the PvP rehash. Same old tournaments, same old prizes. I have been playing for so long i have every 3* character i care about maxed out to 141. Giving the same prizes over and over again is a big F-U to me. There is no progression, it is all about "fun-balancing" and letting everyone catch up, so why bother playing so hard? A good game should not require players to TANK in order to lower their MMR.

I hate the PVE and the tinykitty point system. No game should feel like work. I should not need to log on exactly every 8 hours or 12 hours for a million days to play in order to win. And i should not need a PhD in advanced mathematics to calculate the obscure point scoring system. Also with the tinykitty rubberbanding and scaling that has been talked at length in this thread that I don't need to elaborate further.... and trust me this Season event is going to tinykitty as well.

So here I am , leaving on a high (awesome Top Gun tournament, suck it X-Men! You have a serious case of 5Deadly-envy, Nazerith even sounds like our lovable Klingsor)

Cheers all - till next time....Salud!
    We wish you good luck Morphy, we always have a spot for you if you ever decide to come back.
    Thanks for being so awesome this whole time. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
  • So, because we apparently weren't unhappy enough, they have completely screwed up PVE joining also. Basically we will now have the Oscorp points bug every PVE unless we join immediately and play like good little lab rats, every 12 hours. See my detailed post in the events forum.
  • I'm going to bite the bullet and leave, too. I'm moving at the end of the month and will be without internet for about a week (Steam player), so it seems like a good time to call it quits. The current PvE event isn't convincing me to stay either.

I liked the Marvel tie-in and progressing in the game to get new characters and powers. But now that I have most covers, I don't find the game interesting anymore. I have to wait several weeks to play a bugged PvE event to earn a new character that I don't even like. That seems to be the trend and only new content coming in. They said they're introducing gold characters and repeating previous PvEs so they have more time to work on new content, but I haven't seen anything that I like. Alliances and seasons from a functional perspective are just meta-rankings that shuffle the existing rewards structure. Even if they release more new episodes, my confidence is waning. They keep changing the formula when re-running these events, often to the detriment of our enjoyment. That's just the tip of the iceberg, unfortunately. I'll stop here before this turns into a rant/whining post icon_e_smile.gif

At its core this is a match-3 game, so kudos to devs for making it this interesting and addictive for that long. It was a mostly fun half year I spent on this game and reading the forum. Now that the game feels more like a chore than entertainment, it's time to say goodbye!
  • Good lord, they are dropping like flies :-\

TAKE HEED DEVELOPERS
  • Good lord, they are dropping like flies :-\

TAKE HEED DEVELOPERS

They wont.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    CoolB76 wrote:
    Good lord, they are dropping like flies :-\

TAKE HEED DEVELOPERS

They wont.
    They didn't before either, when the last batch of veteran players got fed up with the game's broken state. So yeah; they won't.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good lord, they are dropping like flies :-\

TAKE HEED DEVELOPERS
    They are probably at the pub drinking beer and laughing at people still purchasing HP, and also from the good press they receive from gaming websites/publications.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I'm pretty much out now, too. Currently just logging in once a day to get the reward. I played a couple of Heroic Oscorp missions and just...completely lost interest in the whole thing. Same ol, same ol, and Lazy Daken is on the way. That's reason enough to give it up for the meantime imo.

I might be back more regularly if something cool happens story-wise but the love has gone. It's becoming more and more like a blatant cash grab, and I really don't like what they've done to PVE. The whole idea behind bringing in Level 400s was the death knell for me. They need to fix the underlying problems, not slap on ridiculous band-aids like that.

*bows*

*waves*

*uses black separation crystal*
  • Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    We have 3 veterans in our alliance (over day 190 on daily rewards), who independently are calling it quits (myself included).

I don't know how much time the devs think is a reasonable amount to spend on a game, but i'm not grinding every PVP for 900 points just to have a chance to make it to top 50.

They probably won't care since we're F2P, but just thought I'd add some more names to the list.

Too bad - it was a fun game awhile ago…..
  • One member of our alliance left due being inactive probably because he was bored of the content. 2-3 others including myself might leave/take a break after season 1 because of the same boring content, same **** rewards over and over (ie. 2 Loki tourneys with **** rewards), the **** pvp bracketing without informing us about the change and finally repetitive pve's with scaling and rubberbanding issue.

Devs better get their **** together or they are going to lose more of there player base. If I feel this way and others in my alliance feel equally annoyed you better bet the mpq community (forum and non-forum) probably feel the same way.
  • TheFallen wrote:
    One member of our alliance left due being inactive probably because he was bored of the content. 2-3 others including myself might leave/take a break after season 1 because of the same boring content, same **** rewards over and over (ie. 2 Loki tourneys with **** rewards), the **** pvp bracketing without informing us about the change and finally repetitive pve's with scaling and rubberbanding issue.

Devs better get their tinykitty together or they are going to lose more of there player base. If I feel this way and others in my alliance feel equally annoyed you better bet the mpq community (forum and non-forum) probably feel the same way.

yea, the **** covers are really disappointing. I am too vested in season 1 to call it quits but will probably chill for next season. no more grinding PVP for covers that I sell for ISOs.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    laoahpeh wrote:
    TheFallen wrote:
    One member of our alliance left due being inactive probably because he was bored of the content. 2-3 others including myself might leave/take a break after season 1 because of the same boring content, same **** rewards over and over (ie. 2 Loki tourneys with **** rewards), the **** pvp bracketing without informing us about the change and finally repetitive pve's with scaling and rubberbanding issue.

Devs better get their tinykitty together or they are going to lose more of there player base. If I feel this way and others in my alliance feel equally annoyed you better bet the mpq community (forum and non-forum) probably feel the same way.

yea, the **** covers are really disappointing. I am too vested in season 1 to call it quits but will probably chill for next season. no more grinding PVP for covers that I sell for ISOs.
    Probably for Season 2 they will introduce Sentry/Thanos/Galactus as the carrot-on-a-stick for us donkeys icon_e_smile.gif
  • For me, it's the double whammy of changes to PvP bracketing and matchmaking that have been the main fun killer. It's seriously lowered my "time spent playing" to "game satisfaction" ratio.

I usually grind to 900 for the HP progression reward. This takes much longer now since I'm immediately hit with a wall of 141's and constantly being knocked down by people just starting the event (so the retaliations are not worth playing). Before, getting to 900 would usually be enough for top 10 but now I'm lucky to get top 25. So my playing time has increased and I am getting less reward and satisfaction for it.

I hope the devs realise that players expect a certain amount of satisfaction and sense of accomplishment from their time spent playing. If not, they will move to another game. I don't mind putting time into a game if I feel that the payoff at the end will be good. At the moment, it's all going in the wrong direction.
  • I have never been an elite player but could always compete for at least one if not 2 or all 3, 3* covers, and I admit I have been taking it easier than I usually have but I started looking back and since maxing lazy cap I managed 2 falcon covers from pve ...and maybe 3 total covers from PVP since. Out of 15+ tournaments. Some I didn't care and was burned out and didn't even try, several I made a push and couldn't be there for the end time so my efforts got me a 2* cover, some I was trying like mad to save HP for that 20th alliance slot so didn't shield even if I was doing well and got a 2*. And then there are those that I fought just as I ever had, even grabbed 900 pt progression rewards which is rare for me but go torn down and got a 2*, This last one I fought for a decent position and shielded, then woke up to a 55th place finish.

If I hadn't been assured repeatedly that roster strength has nothing to do with mmr I would swear just having a max level 3* on my roster was the worst decision I could have ever made.

Since there are so many others also saying MMR is weird either the devs tweaked something behind the scenes or this is all meta effects of alliances/seasons.

If it is the latter then casual players who could in the past do decent some of the time are out of luck. Here's to looking forward to only getting 3*s from tokens...sigh
  • The season 1 pretty burned us out, endless non-stop pvp events are not fun, especially with same thing going over and over again.

I hope there will be at least a month's break betwwen season 1 and 2, and with new structure. 2 PvP in one week with 1 day break I can handle.
This discussion has been closed.