This Game Isn't Fun Anymore

Comments

• WilsonFisk wrote:
    For me personally, the alliance factor has added greatly to my enjoyment of the game. I like having a group to communicate with and work towards a common goal.

However, I do feel the Season aspect has made things a little bit too intense. I also don't disagree with the guaranteed alliance covers. I'd rather see the old prize structure return to PVP, with just HP and ISO as an alliance reward, or if D3 is generous, an additional cover, even if it differs from the current 3* up for grabs in the PVP.

Changing the prize structure definitely hurt anyone outside of the top alliances.

In my opinion alliances were the only thing interesting released lately. Some brainiac decided to solve the problem of why people dont play daily by introducing season mode. Its season mode that is the worst thing to happen to this game. It made taking time off frowned upon to be competitive. Even with 5 alliances, it has been a challenge.
  • Catseman wrote:
    I just wanted to say as a relatively new player, funding out the best way to win or do well in any event involves some eldritch tinykitty like knowing exactly when to do events and "strategically" attacking is very disheartening. Not only are there way more heroes than there used to be, it sounds like it'll be a looooong time before I can use any of the decent ones. When I play a game, I should play the game. Not play some metagame where I read up on the forums about how its wrong to just play matches. No, no, I must play matches at specific tes and hope my real life can accommodate me gooning out on my phone.

I see this attitude pretty often and it's ruining the game because people don't know better. In the game PvP is more heavily weighted toward money over playing/time, and PvE is more heavily weighted toward playing/time over money. I always see people trying to figure out some magic way to approach PvE even though it really just boils down to playing more than the other 999 guys. Especially at the entry level, things like timing of bracket has a very little effect on your overall placement because your roster is very weak. That's not to say you should start playing with 11 hours left of a sub event ending, but you're usually far more limited by your ability to beat enough missions as opposed to beating them at the right time. Likewise for PvP it's more about having shields up when you finally do have a good rank as opposed to hoping some arcane ritual will allow your rating to persist when the hounds are out, and yes even a relatively new guy can afford shields especially if you're pretty sure using one will net you a 3* you need.

The top tier of competition in this game is incredibly competitive for both PvE and PvP. Without the prerequisite 'hardcore' factor you're pretty much just wasting time complaining about stuff like scaling or MMR or anything else. People need to accept that the competition at the top is crazy and normal guys usually don't beat the crazy guys in their respective arenas.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Catseman wrote:
    I just wanted to say as a relatively new player, funding out the best way to win or do well in any event involves some eldritch tinykitty like knowing exactly when to do events and "strategically" attacking is very disheartening. Not only are there way more heroes than there used to be, it sounds like it'll be a looooong time before I can use any of the decent ones. When I play a game, I should play the game. Not play some metagame where I read up on the forums about how its wrong to just play matches. No, no, I must play matches at specific tes and hope my real life can accommodate me gooning out on my phone.

I see this attitude pretty often and it's ruining the game because people don't know better. In the game PvP is more heavily weighted toward money over playing/time, and PvE is more heavily weighted toward playing/time over money. I always see people trying to figure out some magic way to approach PvE even though it really just boils down to playing more than the other 999 guys. Especially at the entry level, things like timing of bracket has a very little effect on your overall placement because your roster is very weak. That's not to say you should start playing with 11 hours left of a sub event ending, but you're usually far more limited by your ability to beat enough missions as opposed to beating them at the right time. Likewise for PvP it's more about having shields up when you finally do have a good rank as opposed to hoping some arcane ritual will allow your rating to persist when the hounds are out, and yes even a relatively new guy can afford shields especially if you're pretty sure using one will net you a 3* you need.

The top tier of competition in this game is incredibly competitive for both PvE and PvP. Without the prerequisite 'hardcore' factor you're pretty much just wasting time complaining about stuff like scaling or MMR or anything else. People need to accept that the competition at the top is crazy and normal guys usually don't beat the crazy guys in their respective arenas.
    I'm not so sure that a relatively new guy can really afford shields. They can relatively easily get the 50HP from top 2.5k alliance, but they probably aren't going to be able to hit the 900 progression HP, and if they need to use a shield for top 5, they may or may not be able to reliably hit the top 100 50 HP, so you'd be looking at spending an entire tournament's worth of HP for a single 3 hour shield. Which doesn't leave them any to actually buy the roster slot to put it in.

And yeah, sure scaling isn't a problem for people in the 1*s, or even 2* transition, but I'd argue it's harder for people in the 85s to deal with level 200 enemies than it is for people with 141s to do 300-400 enemies. Though your own view of scaling is probably a little skewed from everyone else's since you willingly grind your levels to crazy places
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Phantron wrote:
    Catseman wrote:

In your haste to go on a longstanding gripe about Greedy-newbs-complaining-about-not-getting-the-big-prizes you may have misinterpreted the overall statement. I took from his post that he is unhappy about his foreseeable future in the MP-sphere. If someone had told me that this is what it was going to be like progressing through the game i would have quit or significantly de-prtoritized before i committed any real time or money into the game.

That's just what i took from it.
  • klingsor wrote:
    WilsonFisk wrote:
    For me personally, the alliance factor has added greatly to my enjoyment of the game. I like having a group to communicate with and work towards a common goal.

However, I do feel the Season aspect has made things a little bit too intense. I also don't disagree with the guaranteed alliance covers. I'd rather see the old prize structure return to PVP, with just HP and ISO as an alliance reward, or if D3 is generous, an additional cover, even if it differs from the current 3* up for grabs in the PVP.

Changing the prize structure definitely hurt anyone outside of the top alliances.

In my opinion alliances were the only thing interesting released lately. Some brainiac decided to solve the problem of why people dont play daily by introducing season mode. Its season mode that is the worst thing to happen to this game. It made taking time off frowned upon to be competitive. Even with 5 alliances, it has been a challenge.

Season one has worn down just about everyone in my alliance. Most of us seem to be planning on taking some time off, or leaving completely. Those who will continue to play are probably going to do alliance pushes for certain pvps, but ignore the rest as a group. Individuals may still push for rewards, but I think the drive to get alliance rewards for everything and push hard for the season alliance reward is not going to happen.

Actually, even the season itself isn't necessarily the big deal, it seems more the alliance Nick Fury cover. If it really were just about the prestige and a few heroic 10 packs, I doubt too many would be hitting it quite so hard.
  • Catseman wrote:

Every game has a metagame, and the most successful players are usually aware of it. You're not wrong that the MPQ one is unusually counterintuitive though.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    j12601 wrote:
    Actually, even the season itself isn't necessarily the big deal, it seems more the alliance Nick Fury cover. If it really were just about the prestige and a few heroic 10 packs, I doubt too many would be hitting it quite so hard.
    For me it's all about that Fury cover, those 10 packs can go suck a fat tinykitty.

My worst case scenario, which is sadly the most likely, I think: We launch straight into season 2 when Krakadoom ends today, with the second Fury colour as the alliance reward.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    j12601 wrote:
    For me it's all about that Fury cover, those 10 packs can go suck a fat tinykitty.

My worst case scenario, which is sadly the most likely, I think: We launch straight into season 2 when Krakadoom ends today, with the second Fury colour as the alliance reward.
    100 bucks on it.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Emeryt wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    j12601 wrote:

100 bucks on it.
    So, like not even enough to upgrade his purple?
  • This is, by the by, exactly what has happened. I wonder what scores overall will look like this month, now that players' stamina totals have been largely depleted.
  • Moon 17 wrote:
    This is, by the by, exactly what has happened. I wonder what scores overall will look like this month, now that players' stamina totals have been largely depleted.

Everybody's going to swear to take it easy, so everyone will expect things to mellow out a little, and then when things don't mellow out at all everybody will give up on taking it easy because they can't stand to fall behind

BUT NOT ME, I'M TAKING IT EASY I SWEAR
  • lol I'll be taking season 2.
  • It's still fun, but less fun than it used to be, since D3P is merely cultivating it and fine-tuning it as a means to squeeze the most money out of devoted players. You can find numerous articles online where the devs discuss ways to increase the average dollars spent per day.

I'm starting to get sick of it too. I think my turning point was when ISO bonuses from first-time mission completion went away. No more leveling up characters for free. I mean, yeah, I can friend 200+ people on Facebook... but God that's annoying. That change double-screwed me now that Spider-Man is nerfed. I've been leveling him since October!

I'm only in it still for the off chance they add War Machine or Iron Patriot, but seeing as we're into a Siege storyline, it's not looking like they're going to do either.

Am I done? Not quite yet, but I think my random $20-30 per week is now just going to go toward Marvel trade paperbacks.
  • gamar wrote:
    Moon 17 wrote:
    This is, by the by, exactly what has happened. I wonder what scores overall will look like this month, now that players' stamina totals have been largely depleted.

Everybody's going to swear to take it easy, so everyone will expect things to mellow out a little, and then when things don't mellow out at all everybody will give up on taking it easy because they can't stand to fall behind

BUT NOT ME, I'M TAKING IT EASY I SWEAR

I think people will be saying that and think 'haha now that everyone is taking it easy I'll grind hardcore and win!' and then we end up being more hardcore than we were before.
  • Clintman wrote:
    kensterr wrote:
    if you check the thread about the x-men in the alliance thread, devs don't have to worry about making money. each member spends $200 per week on boosts for season one points.

I sincerely doubt anyone is spending $200 a week, I wouldn't even be able to spend that much on boosts and shields.

I spend $20 a month, that's my budget for the game, I use it on shields and I only use boosts that I get from in game rewards.

As the leader of the X-men I can say that some of us spend up to 10 bucks a week for shields, in most cases not event that much. We play hard we play smart, if there are any facts you need to know about us feel free to pm me.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Phantron wrote:
    I think people will be saying that and think 'haha now that everyone is taking it easy I'll grind hardcore and win!' and then we end up being more hardcore than we were before.
    The Prisoners of MPQ Dilemma.
  • Since the strenuous task that was called Season 1 is now repeating itself immediately as Season 2 I'm personally on the verge whether I'll drop out from my beloved alliance and just go casual. Or join a public 5-people alliance just to get those tiny iso rewards. It is very tempting option because if Season 1 taught me anything it's that having a novelty prize as a target (one bloody Nick Fury cover) not only works miracles on greedy human psyche but also stresses the tinykitty out of it. We lost our marbles over a trinket and now we can't find them anymore. This seasonal **** is poison to alliances and the whole community altogether in my opinion. It taxes our endurance way too much.

I have so many 3* characters cover-maxed that going solo wouldn't actually hinder my current playing much. I'm always ISO-starved anyway. However it will halt my cover progression with future character releases for sure since I'd be cut out from alliance rewards and D3 has this nasty habit of keeping one particular cover color always as alliance prize. They rarely swap them. But if that is the prize to pay for not feeling compelled to compete in every mothertinykittying event they put out then that is the course I'm taking. My time, so it's finally going to be my rules also. I could play this game when I want to. Not when D3 or my alliance pressures me to.

I recently stopped giving D3 money for this game. I used to spend $20-40 a month. But past month? Nothing. Not even my usual support buy of Logan's Loonies. I vote with my wallet and this is not the course I want to support monetarily. You can have my time but not my money (or mental health) anymore.
  • For me the last week's happenings nailed it finally:

- stealth death bracketing then **** talk about tiny nudge
    - day-long server problems without anyone bothering to announce anything, disrupted tournaments just allowed to finish
    - murder of spiderman and prologue healing
    - cynical remarks on how related community effort is worthless
    - extending S1 by 2.5 days
    - extending S1 by another PVP
    - launching S2 back to back, another new character on tail of previous without pause
    - slot-bundling and related **** remark that it serves the users that they can no longer chose to buy them by one
    - a dev's blog reveals more of the thinking

I think even a small subset of those should be enough to provide enough stamina to withdraw all resources from this formerly fun and nice game that was converted into a mindless meat-grinder.

The hole is way too big to climb out and D3 just keeps digging at increasing speed. I try to do my best to not be part of the problem but of solution and leave it. If enough people follow it will show in the numbers and may trigger some changes eventually.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    For me the last week's happenings nailed it finally:

- stealth death bracketing then **** talk about tiny nudge
    - day-long server problems without anyone bothering to announce anything, disrupted tournaments just allowed to finish
    - murder of spiderman and prologue healing
    - cynical remarks on how related community effort is worthless
    - extending S1 by 2.5 days
    - extending S1 by another PVP
    - launching S2 back to back, another new character on tail of previous without pause
    - slot-bundling and related **** remark that it serves the users that they can no longer chose to buy them by one
    - a dev's blog reveals more of the thinking

I think even a small subset of those should be enough to provide enough stamina to withdraw all resources from this formerly fun and nice game that was converted into a mindless meat-grinder.

The hole is way too big to climb out and D3 just keeps digging at increasing speed. I try to do my best to not be part of the problem but of solution and leave it. If enough people follow it will show in the numbers and may trigger some changes eventually.

I could not agree with this sentiment any more - 100% with you pasa. Every one of those points should be enough to stop anyone spending any more money on this game/D3 cashcow.
  • Slight update: I just quit my alliance. I wish them well, but since I play less and less MPQ every day it was just best solution for both them and me. I'll miss the HP, ISO and cover rewards but now I can play whenever I want. I also stopped caring about the whole Season 2 ****. I can't even describe the catharsis I'm having right now. The burden is off. This actually feels so much better than all the rewards i got from grinding this game past months. Just not being mentally forced to play this travesty.

Quick list of my biggest complaints, these really killed my fun and interest in this game:
    - No proper communication from devs on anything really important
    - Crazy scaling in PvE
    - Recent MMR and bracketing alterations to PvP
    - Sudden server downtime lately (and the poor informing about those)

and last but not least:
    - Everything in this game right now is about competition. Even PvE. That sucks big time.

I'm going to take a healthy break from both MPQ and forum and log back maybe after a week or two to check what's going on. But now I'm off to play Marvel Heroes so I can continue to enjoy Marvel universe and maybe actually have some fun WHILE I play the game. Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.