R134 Release Notes *Updated (8/29/17)

Options

Comments

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think the load times may be caching the characters. If you replay the same mode with the same team then load times are practically zero. 

It's still irritating though. Really, really irritating. 
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    AXP_isme said:
    I think the load times may be caching the characters. If you replay the same mode with the same team then load times are practically zero. 
    Not ripping into you, but PRACTICALLY zero is not the same as zero, and as silly as it sounds, even a relatively short delay like this massively impacts the play experience in a negative way.

I finished off the easy PVE nodes, and even after the first time I still got hit with a 2-3 second load, even on successive plays of that same node.  They must have fundamentally changed how assets load.  I've been playing this game for years, and the few other times I've seen loads like these, they only happened the first time, and then never again.  EVERY FIGHT has one now, both on load-in and even load-out I would get a very quick barely a second load screen.

And yeah, they must have absolutely zero testing, or they do have testing and just don't care and release updates "just cause" to fit some odd arbitrary release schedule.  Having very obvious localization strings instead of the translated text should have been cause for delay of release.  Any rational publisher would have held this update back, because obvious bugs usually indicate more less obvious bugs.

News flash = Making games is hard.  Don't add artificial hindrances (like self-imposed update/release windows) to make it even harder.  If something takes longer to do to get it right, then it takes longer to do.
    Somehow I knew this Repeater tile update wouldn't go smoothly...
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also happens when loading covers, say when opening a vault. If you even get a cover graphic at all. I just saw a bunch of blank screens with banners in front of them. 
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    don't really care about that change, gameplay wise.
    but I wonder how many hilarious bugs this opens. 
  • MirrorKnight
    MirrorKnight Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options

As these abilities no long count as countdowns, it weakens Star Lord's "Oldest Trick in the Book" and Drax's Secret Weapon, right?

Based upon the descriptions above, OTitB and Secret Weapon should both no longer work with Repeaters, but neither are listed as no longer being affected.

Can this please get clarified, as repeaters were especially good for both of them, as they allowed improved damage consistency.

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

As these abilities no long count as countdowns, it weakens Star Lord's "Oldest Trick in the Book" and Drax's Secret Weapon, right?

Based upon the descriptions above, OTitB and Secret Weapon should both no longer work with Repeaters, but neither are listed as no longer being affected.

Can this please get clarified, as repeaters were especially good for both of them, as they allowed improved damage consistency.

I believe this has already been clarified. Oldest Trick in the Book and the active part of Secret Weapon do not count Repeater tiles as well as Countdown tiles. (The passive part of Secret Weapon also doesn't trigger on Repeater tiles, of course, because they don't expire):

Brigby said:
    Jaedenkaal said:
    Do powers that count countdown tiles for some effect (Such as Oldest Trick in the Book and the active part of Secret Weapon and the active part of Super-Secret Tech) also count repeater tiles?
    So I spoke with the developers, and those abilities do not count Repeater tiles; they only work with Countdown tiles.

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Added update regarding increase in load screens
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've played with almost my entire roster and am still having severe load times. 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    *Added update regarding increase in load screens
    Is there going to be an in game announcement on this (with instructions) for non Forum going players? It would seem like a good idea.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,333 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Even when using the same team in Lightning Rounds, with its limited repeating opponents in seeds, I see some load screens when encountering the same characters again.
    Edit:  One thing I had not considered is the background art, which does change from round to round.  Need to load that too, I assume (?).
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hmmmm... something doesn't make sense to me.  Last night playing PvE I still had increased load times on nodes where I used the same team against the same opponent 4x in a row.  Seemed to be worse the first time, but it didn't go away as this labour-intensive workaround suggests it should.

Also, will this get fixed in the next release or is it entirely up to the users to rectify the issue themselves?
  • fun_and_gun
    fun_and_gun Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    Options
    completely ridiculous that the game forces you to update when there's a known bug in the new build.  game plays like garbage now with all the loading screens.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Android: Great news! Tap "OK" to get the latest version of the game.

Must I?  Apparently I must.

I'd already noticed with R133 that every single time I started the game it was loading something, starting at 64% and taking a little while to get to 100.  Every.  Single.  Time.

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I just played the first GR node in System Reboot three times, to check if the "loading assets" thing worked. I used the same team each time, but still had a loading screen even on the third. It did seem to go faster, but considering the first one was long enough for my screen to turn off, that's damning with faint praise.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,923 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What does redownload character assets mean?  How do I do that?
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Instead of forcing us to "redownload character assets", can't you just do a push update?
  • cpeyton3535
    Options
    Was about to ask the same thing since playing matches with a character doesn't seem to do it as several people have mentioned.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Was about to ask the same thing since playing matches with a character doesn't seem to do it as several people have mentioned.
    If a player starts a mission and sees a long loading screen, if they replay the same mission with the same characters, they shouldn't see another long loading screen.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Shouldn't, and yet I just did. More than once.

This may be, and probably is, part of the problem, but it's clearly not the whole problem.
  • cpeyton3535
    Options
    Brigby said:
    If a player starts a mission and sees a long loading screen, if they replay the same mission with the same characters, they shouldn't see another long loading screen.
    Hi @Brigby.  Not trying to be contrary and maybe it's just me, but I'm still seeing the loading screen using the same team against the same opponents.  The first match seems to be the worst, but the issue still lingers.  Several others have described similar experiences.  It's as if the increase in level of the opponent (or something like that) is a factor.