Progression Reward Changes in Versus Tournaments (7/20/17)

Options

Comments

• TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    An interesting idea; no way am I chasing 40 wins in PvP - since the matches are far more arduous than PvE on the whole - but I'll certainly dabble and see if those CP are reachable.  :)
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:
    maltyo9 said:
    This... Might actually be good.
    Going to be some wailing and gnashing of teeth about putting the final prog reward over to placement, but whatever
    I'm just curious as to what placement you have to get for the CP.

Brigby any info on this would be appreciated.
    The CP that was originally the final progression reward will be allocated to the top 10 placement ranks.

We found that there were actually more players that reached top 10 compared to 1200 points, so moving it to placement will actually end up awarding it to more people! 
    LOL....
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. Please keep in mind that this is still just a test run. The developers will be reviewing the feedback after the event is over, and making any necessary adjustments after that.
    Brigby, i am a 5* player who hits 1200 for almost all my PVP. but despite that, i rarely ever reach top 10. most of my top 10 in my brackets have 1400- 1800 points.

please re-consider, it is insane that D3 believes the 15 CP will be given to more people.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am intrigued by this change. Since I can hit 900 when I care to (but recently mainly stopped at 575-650) but I can't push to 1200 it sounds good. I also never get top10. Either way - I won't see the extra CP unless I snipe the bracket. In the current system it is not possible at all.

I will take a fight against any "weaker" team, regardless of the points. So getting 40 wins should be doable but you have to play during the whole event. I normally join 1 day before the end if I want 900 or 8 hours if 600 is my goal. That won't be possible anymore.

Maybe first 10 wins should be against the seed teams?

Not sure if I will participate in this test. As I normally try to take the offseason off... I am waiting more for the change in PvE.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pleased with this change, a step in the right direction. 40 wins is a bit high but it's a starting point. We can all run two star teams right?
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    if you don't care about placement (let's just assume), losing a match is irrelevant - even better, your score falls and you don't see high level rosters only. 
    pls correct me if I'm wrong? 
    do defensive wins count? 
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    OJSP said:

It requires a player to have a certain type of MMR for this to work and a good knowledge of how MMR works, otherwise our defensive team would be invisible and we are playing harder matches for nothing.  

We could beat stronger teams with weaker teams, but the matches would take longer than usual, we risk losing the match and spending more health packs. 
    I think that there are enough people that through experimenting (we'll have to get 40 wins anyway) and communication, we'll figure out the parameters to build the most attractive/least attractive teams.

I do think this will encourage roster diversity. Beast and Venom will get their day while the A-listers heal.

• BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Per @Brigby 's first post:

"The number of Wins a player has isn't affected by defensive matches - if you successfully defend from another player's attack, it won't go up."
  • NMANOZ
    NMANOZ Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Will we see this system used for Season rewards too?
  • Kjempen
    Kjempen Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Options
    "This is quite possibly the worst change that has ever been made in this game.  How is one supposed to prevent another player from hitting progression rewards if we can't take away points from them?  Please reconsider this, or let us give -1 win for each time we beat a player, or something."

So, for some players it's all about personal progression, while for other players (as shown above) , it's all about stunting/suppressing other players progress. Let me guess, you also give your teammates your worst teamups (just for your xp)? And never help/give tips to alliance mates in alliance events? 

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    ammenell said:

now make the 4* cover something useful, don't bomb your test because you are greedy and give out elektra or mordo. 
    It's Xforce Black.

..... lol. Yeah, that will totally give them useful info about how many people are willing to grind
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    HaywireII said:
    mr_X said:
    40 matches for a 4* cover. Darn lets just make pvp just as grindy as pve.
    Story Event players are typically doing 9 nodes x 4 plays each day of a 3 day event for their progression prize so that's 106 matches for that 4 star cover.  40 sounds like a deal.

Story Mode also has the final command points at the end of the progession so it does seem odd they wouldn't leave the Versus mode final command points in progression and move it to placement.  It would be nice if they move it back.
    Sure, but here are two counterpoints:

(1) people complain all the time about the time investment required by pve (which just went up from 4/6 to 5/6).  I dont think they wanted pvp to become more like pve in terms of reward:time efficiency.

(2) very few of the 36-54 daily matches in pvp are difficult.  The three trivial nodes can be cleared in 30-60 seconds most of the tims.  In pvp 5* players are facing 5* champs as soon as they clear the seeds.  30+ matches against 450+ opponents is quite a bit different than grinding down trivial nodes.
    Counterpoint to (2).  In PvP you can literally pick the difficulty of the matches.  I can't speak to how different it is for 5*, but certainly at 4* level you could choose easy matches (even if they only are worth 5-20 points) if you are focused on getting number of wins vs points.  
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    corytutor said:
     In my brackets the top 100 put over 1200 up. So 90 people just got the shaft on cp. 

What the holy heck bracket are you talking about? I play SCL8 and if I hit 900 and shield, I'm usually t25.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shardwick said:
    PVE needs progression only and it needs it yesterday. For pvp lower the wins needed, keep cp in progression and add a new 5* token to the game that can only be obtained by getting top 10 in scl8 and up. Lower clearance levels get heroics or heroic 10 packs for top placement.
    A 5* for T10 in SCL8?  So basically everyone stops playing and it becomes a snipe hunt... (even more so then it already is)
  • Mercator
    Mercator Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    get out of slice 2 or 5 and come play in slice 1,3 or 4  ... then you know what hes talking about