Progression Reward Changes in Versus Tournaments (7/20/17)

Options

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

40 matches... :/ grind.  The move to 5 clears on PvE wasn't enough?  Want to make sure people on both sides of the fence get burned out, huh?

In theory, I can see how this, although grindy, could work. But as usual, we have the of one step forward, one step back quirk.  Moving CP to placement... One of the primary reason people wanted to get away from the old point system was because the reward they wanted most was too frustrating.  But, now you've ensured it is unattainable, thus undermining the primary reason people wanted such a change.  

I'm also dubious of your claim that less than ten got cp, especially in vet brackets.  Maybe if you're averaging in CLs 1 through 6... but I count more than 10 in my Blind Justice bracket.  Sounds like a raw deal for some people.

• Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Punter1 said:  

If you're getting better than 38pts, it should take at most 24 fights to hit 900, if the climb is good and you find some 60pt matches then quite a few less. 

You're getting attacked in there, too.
    I usually hit an average of 50 points per match. Going for 1200 with 300 extra to make up for the hits in between, that means i have to make 1500/50= 30 matches. I think i'm on the generous side there. 40 for 900 is just ridiculous.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Open up MMR, let me queue 4* teams below 1200, and I'll hit your 40 matches.
    80 if you want, for 1200.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    oh bow you are such a cyberbully :D
  • Bowgentle
    Options
    elvy75 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    oh bow you are such a cyberbully :D
    What can I say, I still have fond memories of the Valentine PVP :D
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    As someone who has been bored with MPQ for the past couple months (but still playing for some reason) because PVP MMR hasn't been fun, this sounds like a great change that may bring me back to PVP.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm intrigued by the changes.  I know this will definitely be a CP drop for me, but it might actually make pvp more interesting and natural to play.  More people will be out early providing variety and no worries about retals from low value targets would drastically change the way I play.  Battlechats will still exist but will be severely crippled by lack of activity early on.  Only top 10 getting CP will provide less incentive to bake.  Alliances will have mass snipers to prevent others from taking top 10 from team members.  Many will quit and many will turn to buy clubs to supplement lost CP.  Please...run this test during a regular season, the flame threads will be epic!! 
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:
    Tony Foot said:
    Pleased with this change, a step in the right direction. 40 wins is a bit high but it's a starting point. We can all run two star teams right?
    It requires a player to have a certain type of MMR for this to work and a good knowledge of how MMR works, otherwise our defensive team would be invisible and we are playing harder matches for nothing.  

We could beat stronger teams with weaker teams, but the matches would take longer than usual, we risk losing the match and spending more health packs. 
    I wonder. The key word was all. We can all run 2-star teams. That means, don't start up on the seed teams and go, "Imma use Thanos and win in 1 move, lol!" It means, "I'm going to use my 2-stars on these, because my defensive team shouldn't show up as characters that I didn't use, and I hope my peers are on board with this." There could be a community agreement to use only the loaner and 2-3 star unboosted characters for the first 12 hours of a PVP. That's enough time for a decent number of attacks and retaliations before switching up to A-team characters.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    [IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/11axwdc.jpg[/IMG]

This leadership board shows the top 10. top 10 is 1500 points. 

below the top 10, there are many with 1200 points. these people just got **** for their 15 CP.

please consider this carefully before changing it. 
  • Bowgentle
    Options
    Borstock said:
    alaeth said:
    Borstock said:
    If you're getting attacked in competitive PvP before 900, you're doing it wrong.

1. climb to "float point" (typically 400 pts) - in the current model, the risk vs reward makes you an unappealing target... so you are unlikely to be hit

2. When time permits, climb to your first shield point (800, 900, or higher). 5* rosters typically don't even shield until they're well over 1200.

3. shield hop to preserve your points, hitting only targets that are 60+ points to make it "worth it" to break your shield and expose yourself.

None of what you just described is true of my PvP experience... at all.

The 400 pt float point is exactly what I do, and I can usually count on getting hit at least 5-10 times if I "float" there. Once I get to around 800, I'm consistently getting hit while I'm playing. I have never, in my entire time playing from the lower ranks to now, been able to climb higher than 900 without consistent attacks at that point. It's shield hop or die. And once I've gotten to that point, the matchmaker has NEVER given me anything remotely close to a 60 point target. Once I've hit 900, I don't even see 40 point targets and they're usually less than 30 points each.
    Move out of S2.
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    INT. DEMIURGE OFFICES

demiurge_rugen:  "How high should we set the threshold for the four-star cover?"

demiurge_humperdinck
    :  "Fine, 40.   You're no fun."
    Amusing!

Anyway, will test. 40 wins looks way high, considering that PVP matches are like a flamethrower to your healthkit supply. That said, being free to hit marginal-point teams just for a win, using your own marginal teams, sounds excellent. 

Disconnecting point loss from progression is *Exactly* what I and others have asked for, so the main issue is how much time/effort is required to get there. Please, do not increase the effort required. You've already done so for PvE (this needs fixing). Versus is a clear case where you can and are disconnecting placement and progression, and giving an incentive to placement. Leave the progression effort the same!

--Khanwulf
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,573 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Punter1 said:  

If you're getting better than 38pts, it should take at most 24 fights to hit 900, if the climb is good and you find some 60pt matches then quite a few less. 

I usually hit an average of 50 points per match. Going for 1200 with 300 extra to make up for the hits in between, that means i have to make 1500/50= 30 matches. I think i'm on the generous side there. 40 for 900 is just ridiculous.
    I honestly have no idea how you're getting 50 points per match. The matchmaker stops giving me targets that juicy at 500. I can skip until my thumb turns numb.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Borstock said:
    alaeth said:
    Borstock said:
    If you're getting attacked in competitive PvP before 900, you're doing it wrong.

1. climb to "float point" (typically 400 pts) - in the current model, the risk vs reward makes you an unappealing target... so you are unlikely to be hit

2. When time permits, climb to your first shield point (800, 900, or higher). 5* rosters typically don't even shield until they're well over 1200.

3. shield hop to preserve your points, hitting only targets that are 60+ points to make it "worth it" to break your shield and expose yourself.

The 400 pt float point is exactly what I do, and I can usually count on getting hit at least 5-10 times if I "float" there. Once I get to around 800, I'm consistently getting hit while I'm playing. I have never, in my entire time playing from the lower ranks to now, been able to climb higher than 900 without consistent attacks at that point. It's shield hop or die. And once I've gotten to that point, the matchmaker has NEVER given me anything remotely close to a 60 point target. Once I've hit 900, I don't even see 40 point targets and they're usually less than 30 points each.
    Move out of S2.
    Same happens to me in S1.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,573 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Borstock said:
    alaeth said:
    Borstock said:

Move out of S2.
    I don't play in S2.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    madsalad said:
    A strange game indeed.

Thats viable. Sniping I believe its called.
  • Bowgentle
    Options
    Well Xeno's roster is better than yours, then.