Progression Reward Changes in Versus Tournaments (7/20/17)

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    elvy75 said:
    @Beer40 the issue with queuing big points is that 5* teams start climb early and they build points, lots of points, so those that start playing later can climb from 0-1200 on 75 points matches. Now 3* rosters and transitioners to 4* stop playing at 575, so once you are close to that area there are no points for you available. If all 3* and 4* players would play to 800-900 points, you would be able to queue teams that are worth way more than 38 points, for way longer. Before devs put 10 cp at 575 points most of the 3* rosters were climbing to at least 800 points, and 4* to 900 and then there were available points for everyone. Now since 10 cp is at the reasonable level for most, and it takes only 2 pvp to get 20 cp and classic pull, which mostly means 4* most of those developing rosters stopped caring, as it is easier for them just to pull 4* then to fight for it. MMR work in the ways that is separating big and small rosters, and since they removed cupcakes small rosters cant q easy teams for high points anymore. In the cupcake era 5* roster would drop 2* or 3* team from 2000 points or more, and that team could be queued by everyone, which made it much easier for developing rosters to climb. Now they can only go as low as to offer you 1 5*, 3* and a featured, which is still invisible for majority of playerbase, so the trickle down effect of points is gone. With it gone, and people giving up once they are over 575 it makes it painful experience to go for anything higher than that.

@DarthDeVo both MMR and scaling are just fine with 1 5*. If you had that bp maxed you would hit 900 in BV no issues, however since you haven't, well all i can say it is your fault for deliberately leaving him underlevelled. Take leap of faith, max your BP and start enjoying PVP much more than you currently do

@elvy75 Thank You! This is very informative! I am possibly starting my climb too early + people stopping their climbs too soon. I'm sure the community probably helps navigate these issues as best as possible, but I don't have any issues with that.

I'll try to start my climbs a little later and see if it improves the experience. Thanks! 

If nothing else, maybe they'll move the 15 CP back to progression and use a dual wins or points system for progression to satisfy most people.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Options
    After being excited by Versus mode again in Divine Champions playing through Black Vortex has turned me off to it again.  Getting hit nonstop after 600 points and making no headway just seems stupid after floating at 850 for hours a few days earlier.  I'm looking forward to them deciding on and implementing a change; whatever that may turn out to be.
  • ManxTurtle
    ManxTurtle Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It's cool to see the hardcore theorists contributing to this conversation -- I'm out of your league, folks, so I'll just leave my mostly-positive feedback here for maybe-D3 to see.  (For those that are interested, I'm: semi-casual, 0 champ'd 5s, about 8 or so champ'd 4s.)

The win-based progression system, I feel, was overall extremely successful for the broad scope of players.  What I saw was less focus on the high-point opponent; indeed, because some players were aiming for that 40-win goalpost, they did everything in their power to find the lowest-point opponents.  The longer we could languish in the kiddie pool, the better.

It seemed that, due to the prevalence of that attitude, those who did become high-pointers themselves had a much more pleasant time of it.  It wasn't that there was less competition for placement.  Rather, it felt like we could be in the 600-point range longer without getting eaten alive.  To sum up this point in a sentence: Because points were generally less important, we found that gaining points was not an experience of punishment such as it normally is.  And that felt really good.  I want to see more of this kind of PvP.

In regards to setting the 4-star progression reward at 40 wins: At the beginning of the event, it was a daunting number, but since I was enjoying the event so much more, I wanted to play at least 40 games.

Please feel encouraged to run more of these experiments.  You're doing a great job.
  • RunningMan
    RunningMan Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Sorry if this has been suggested before, but I didn't read through all 34 pages of posts.

For me, I'd like a hybrid solution where it uses both points and wins for the same reward, but it rewards you based on whichever you hit first.  I can't remember all the point values for rewards, so will just use the ones I remember from CL7. 

575pts or 16 wins : 10cp
    800pts or 28 wins : 3* cover
    900pts or 40 wins : 4* cover
    1200pts                : 15cp

This way, the transitioning rosters can reach their desired covers by grinding out wins while the stronger rosters can reach the rewards through points in likely fewer wins.  The existing CP for max progression would remain points only.

So for example, a 3*-4* transitioner could:
      - hit 575 points in 12 wins and get the 10cp
      - They might decide to stop there, or continue on and hit 800 points for the 3* cover in 25 wins
      - However, at that high, they often get beat back down as fast (or faster) than they can get points, so they decide to grind out another 15 wins to get the 4* cover, and end the event with 625 pts after all is said and done.

A 4* roster could shield hop to 900 points for the cover without having to grind, or if they wanted to save HP, they could grind out wins.  Flexibility to cater to multiple play styles!