Progression Reward Changes in Versus Tournaments (7/20/17)

Options

Comments

• Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Also, I need to clarify. To me, the issue isn't the attempt to get rid of coordination or nullify losses or any of that. The issue is the loss of cp and the high target. Reset it to have the cp at 40 or 50? We good. Want to have people still spend on shields? Great, still add that cp to ranking, and I will give no bothers trying to get in a pissing contest over it. In fact, do that and I'd like it more than the current system. Removing the top progression item is straight dumb
  • charmbots
    charmbots Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    I really like this idea, but I agree 40 wins is a bit much. 40 wins is about what it takes to get to 2000 in shield sim and we have a whole season to do that. Plus with no boosted characters to fight the matches are much shorter. 

What I think would be great is if a system was implemented where progression could be obtained by either wins or points: for example, the four star cover would be awarded by reaching either 30 wins or 900 points and the 15 CP by reaching 50 wins or 1200 points. 
  • Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Meander nailed it.  Looks like I'm taking an event off.*  Best of luck, folks. 

*  For the record, this will be the first non-t25 finish I'll have had in PVP in over 9 months of events and the first non-t10 since Obama was president.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    40 matches for a 4* cover. Darn lets just make pvp just as grindy as pve. And 15cp only for final top 10 is massive step backwards. Not sounding like a very good idea. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had to relog into the form after reading this announcement.  This is a horrible change to PVP.  4p matches to get a single 4* cover is horrible especially when you take match making into consideration.  I play PVP to get 1200 points and the CP.  this change will now significantly lower my ability to earn CP .  Now to get the same CP I will need to climb higher in PVP to possible get top 10.  

40 matches in one PVP is a significant amount.  I might play 30 matches in one PVP to get 1200 points with many of my fights wining 70 plus points.  D3 you are now punishing players who can score high.  I can't imagine the average player wins 40+ PVP matches in an event.  
    You thought outside the box D3 but this is a swing and a miss.  Go back to the drawing board
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    40 wins should be for earlier players. For more advanced players, it should be 20 wins.

Matches for early players are a couple minutes each. Matches for advanced players can be 5 or more minutes each... yikes. Plus numerous health packs.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This is quite possibly the worst change that has ever been made in this game.  How is one supposed to prevent another player from hitting progression rewards if we can't take away points from them?  Please reconsider this, or let us give -1 win for each time we beat a player, or something.
    Why on god's green earth would you want to prevent another player from hitting progression? Do you just enjoy ruining someone's day?
    I think that's what he just said he wanted to be able to do? 

Some players like that sort of cut-throatness..... and it's not out of bounds in the mechanics of the game.

In fact, it's possible to really (and rather easily, compared to now) interfere with a players' ability to progress into the 5* tier in the new model, far more so than the old model.

Returning CP to the progression award table removes the ability for coordinated players to prevent a particular player from progressing into the 5* tier, and that change should be implemented before even one test of this plan. 

That would address the most significant structural issue, though Vhailorx's point about "time required to completely engage the game" growing instead of easing is well taken.

MPQ is rapidly heading for "more required time than a WoW Progression Raiding Guild" time requirements.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why is everyone concerned about trying to reach 1200 or beyond if this gets implemented? Progress rewards only care about the number of wins. I assume season progress will be the same once this gets implemented. That means points only matter for placement rewards, both personal and alliance. Points required for top 10 could either go up or down, but I'm thinking it will probably go down. There's no reason for players to hit 900 or 1200 anymore, the majority of players will simply get their x wins and stop. Overall points will be lower, but the same will be true for top x cutoffs. The meta will then adjust accordingly, alliance minimums will correspond with whatever the new norm will be.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Pongie said:
    Why is everyone concerned about trying to reach 1200 or beyond if this gets implemented? Progress rewards only care about the number of wins. I assume season progress will be the same once this gets implemented. That means points only matter for placement rewards, both personal and alliance. Points required for top 10 could either go up or down, but I'm thinking it will probably go down. There's no reason for players to hit 900 or 1200 anymore, the majority of players will simply get their x wins and stop. Overall points will be lower, but the same will be true for top x cutoffs. The meta will then adjust accordingly, alliance minimums will correspond with whatever the new norm will be.

Which means MMR will suck so trying to jockey for points will suck unless you climb until MMR breaks as it does now, so .... you still need to climb, but the points available high will be more of a vacuum.
  • Maceo511
    Maceo511 Posts: 67 Match Maker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This is quite possibly the worst change that has ever been made in this game.  How is one supposed to prevent another player from hitting progression rewards if we can't take away points from them?  Please reconsider this, or let us give -1 win for each time we beat a player, or something.
    Why on god's green earth would you want to prevent another player from hitting progression? Do you just enjoy ruining someone's day?
    I'm with entrialbuffet, defense wins championships.  If he can keep players from getting CP and covers, that's less competition down the road.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Likely it won't be much of a change for me - I typically play to 300 on the first day of a PvP event, take a few hits, then climb back up to hit 575 for the 10 CP in the last eight hours, and throw out an eight hour shield to keep my score. 16 wins for the 10 CP is equivalent to 36 points per win in the old system, which is usually around the minimum I shoot for anyway. In my MMR 575 is almost always good for top 50, and in the unlikely event I manage to hit 650 that usually clears me for top 25. 
    + less need to grind in "bursts" if you are only shooting for 575
    - tasty 50+ point matches are less valuable

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I keep saying over and over. Benchmarks for progression, you could still lose points between them keeping the pvp element in tact, but alloying people to battle their way between 800 to 900, for example, without fear of dropping a hundred fifty points during one match. 

This is just another overly complicated system that promotes more grindin....scl levels are gonna explode.