Progression Reward Changes in Versus Tournaments (7/20/17)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

We've been working on a new way for players to earn Progression rewards, and we're excited to debut it for you in the Divine Champions off-season event that starts on Sunday, July 23, at 8am EDT.

In the upcoming Divine Champions Versus tournament, players will earn Progression rewards based on how many matches they win, instead of how many event points they have. Players will still earn event points, but those points will be used exclusively to determine the player's placement at the end of the event.

The first thing you'll notice when you enter the Divine Champions is that there's now a "Wins" counter just below the event score and rank.

Every time a player enters a Versus event Mission and emerges victorious, their Win counter increases.

In the Event Rewards screen, the point totals for Progression rewards have been replaced by the number of Wins you need to earn each reward.

The number of Wins a player has isn't affected by defensive matches - if you successfully defend from another player's attack, it won't go up. More importantly though, it won't go down if you're attacked and lose. Since your Wins can never go down, you'll always be within reach of the next progression reward. Having said that though, defensive matches do still impact the player's event points and placement, so be sure to Shield up strategically if you want to earn the top Placement rewards.

As part of this change, we also moved some of the old progression rewards into the Placement rewards. While these rewards are now more competitive to earn, this change will get a greater number of rewards into all players' hands.

Once this test run of Divine Champions has finished, we'll return Progression rewards in Versus events back to being points based, so that we can evaluate your feedback, and see how this change affected how people played the game. In the future, we may change the rewards, the number of wins needed to earn a reward, or any other part of this system based on that data.

We are really excited about this change, and are looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say about it.

Good luck, and have fun!

Comments

• DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    This... Might actually be good.
    Going to be some wailing and gnashing of teeth about putting the final prog reward over to placement, but whatever
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    That's certainly more wins than I probably accumulated for 900 (without shields) currently but not having to worry about playing in "bursts" may be a huge net win. Looking forward to this test. 
  • maltyo9
    maltyo9 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Going to be some wailing and gnashing of teeth about putting the final prog reward over to placement, but whatever
    I'm just curious as to what placement you have to get for the CP.

@Brigby any info on this would be appreciated.

• Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    The idea is interesting, but the final CP is in placement rewards? Can you show us what the new placement rewards are going to look like then?
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I may actually be able to play PvP now  B) 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    If this works as intended, this could potentially be AMAZING 
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is an excellent change if it works like i think it will. 
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    So now instead of hitting 1200 for command points then # till end I'll have to fight for placement? 
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Love the concept! Not sure about some of the numbers though. Seems like a win should be valued at around 25 points (at least after the 300 point level). Needing 12 wins to go from the 3* cover to the 4* cover seems like a huge number.
  • Mercator
    Mercator Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    15 cp in placment what a joke.. 

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,803 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is quite possibly the worst change that has ever been made in this game.  How is one supposed to prevent another player from hitting progression rewards if we can't take away points from them?  Please reconsider this, or let us give -1 win for each time we beat a player, or something.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Brigby said:

As part of this change, we also moved some of the old progression rewards into the Placement rewards. While these rewards are now more competitive to earn, this change will get a greater number of rewards into all players' hands. 

Why can't you put out CL9 instead of making placement even harder in pvp which is already extremely competitive to begin with?

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    maltyo9 said:

Brigby any info on this would be appreciated.
    The CP that was originally the final progression reward will be allocated to the top 10 placement ranks.

We found that there were actually more players that reached top 10 compared to 1200 points, so moving it to placement will actually end up awarding it to more people! 
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    maltyo9 said:

@Brigby any info on this would be appreciated.

Considering how few people I ever see getting 1200 points, it'll probably go 15 CP to top 5, and 5-10 to top 10. Really no change if they do that.