Scaling Tied To S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels (5/25/17)

Options

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ducky said:
    deadtaco said:
    @Ducky

The word is that scaling is static
    Static in the sense that it can only go within a set of level parameters. The chart proves this by giving a range of starting levels. 
    Yes, but it's based on the enemies, not the players.

(i.e. a set of hardest goons might start at 300 but a set of hard tile movers would start at 260).  No personal scaling for the test.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

We've received lots of feedback from players about the difficulty of missions, especially concerns with enemy difficulty scaling with your roster. In the Unstable Iso-8 Story Event, we are experimenting with a new way to give everyone the opportunity to choose the challenge level of the opponents they face.

:snip the rests of the quote:

@Brigby Are you sure this test is designed correctly ? One big problem people on this forum keep mentioning over and over is Rewards and Challenge in this game DOES NOT go along well. Currently, the progression rewards difference between SCL7 and 8 are ~1k iso, 1x 3* cover, 3 cp, and 50 hp. Do you think these differences are appealing enough for people to move over to SCL7 and play against enemies at 100 levels higher ? What are 'extra' challenges for ? And we know the lv300 continuum where enemies scaled crazily.

If I'm allowed to speculate, this change will motivate people to move down to lower SCL instead of moving up. Is that something you want to happen ?

• y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    pre-play opinion: yay! just what i was hoping for.

pros -

* not getting punished for leveling characters. as a recent 5* player, not chewing through 50k enemies forever and ever is great. the thing i disliked most about 5* transition is pve scaling.

* constant, predictable enemy levels.

* SCL level choice based on roster and not shield rank makes much more sense.

cons -

* 2* essential scaling can become problematic. scl 8 will reach lvl 260 toons, vs. a character with 94~144 levels at best and 15 at worst. they will quite likely repeatedly die and need a healthpack. suggestion: remove difficulty increase (as with easy missions) or reduce initial level.

* as mentioned here before, difficulty jump to scl8 is just not worth the rewards. rewards should scale with difficulty more smoothly. this feels like a prelude to scl 9, which should really have this 400 cap. suggestion: lower scl difficulty to where it would be if scl9 existed. alternatively, significantly increase scl8 rewards, or open scl9.

* also mentioned before, the ability to not be punished for leveling is temporary since this is a trial - which means you won't get good data regarding that aspect. if i have a 12 cover 5* at lvl 360, and regularly played scl7, i wouldn't level him to make things easier because i'd pay for it next event.

will post again (or edit) after play.

• waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ducky said:
    For everyone complaining that they can't beat 400 level opponents...you may not even see them unless your scaling starts maxed out.
    There is no scaling based on your roster.  Everyone in the same CL gets the same.
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Will be nice to be able to freely level up five stars if this stays though
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    y4747 said:
    cons -

* 2* essential scaling can become problematic. scl 8 will reach lvl 260 toons, vs. a character with 94~144 levels at best and 15 at worst. they will quite likely repeatedly die and need a healthpack. suggestion: remove difficulty increase (as with easy missions) or reduce initial level.
    The 2* essential is always boosted, so they can be up to level 220
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    aa25 said:
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

We've received lots of feedback from players about the difficulty of missions, especially concerns with enemy difficulty scaling with your roster. In the Unstable Iso-8 Story Event, we are experimenting with a new way to give everyone the opportunity to choose the challenge level of the opponents they face.

:snip the rests of the quote:

@Brigby Are you sure this test is designed correctly ? One big problem people on this forum keep mentioning over and over is Rewards and Challenge in this game DOES NOT go along well. Currently, the progression rewards difference between SCL7 and 8 are ~1k iso, 1x 3* cover, 3 cp, and 50 hp. Do you think these differences are appealing enough for people to move over to SCL7 and play against enemies at 100 levels higher ? What are 'extra' challenges for ? And we know the lv300 continuum where enemies scaled crazily.

If I'm allowed to speculate, this change will motivate people to move down to lower SCL instead of moving up. Is that something you want to happen ?

I'm hoping its something they want to happen, I'm very much looking forward to slumming it and cutting a ton of time off my MPQ routine when I don't care about the 4* progression cover, if it means I only miss out on less than 10 CP over 3-4 days...
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    y4747 said:
    cons -

The 2* essential is always boosted, so they can be up to level 220
    true, forgot about that. i still feel it should be a bit below, but we'll see how it plays.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    waywreth said:
    Ducky said:
    For everyone complaining that they can't beat 400 level opponents...you may not even see them unless your scaling starts maxed out.
    There is no scaling based on your roster.  Everyone in the same CL gets the same.
    Source? Brigby's post does not specifically preclude a small amount of roster-related scaling.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    waywreth said:
    Ducky said:
    Source? Brigby's post does not specifically preclude a small amount of roster-related scaling.
    Discord
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is why friends don't let friends softcap.

• BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ducky said:
    I welcome this change. WIth this scaling change my scaling should go down! My clear times have steadily been increasing and this should combat that, which is awesome! Thanks!
    Same with me. I checked DP vs MPQ and my scaling is well above 400. And I still use boosted 4* at me scaling to mix things up. I don't play uber competitive so speed not a worry to me, though. I think if you have a good roster of 4*, you should find it easily doable still.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is why friends don't let friends softcap.
    Ah yes, the inevitable end of 3 years of no significant sign of a downside to softcapping. Quite the long con.

Theres still the MMR to cap around ;) 

Plus vaulting made softcapping impractical months ago, my nice flat roster started getting spikes all over the place, you'd have to take a big loss to keep flat, not worth it, better to be assimilated.

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Instead of jumping to conclusions, I will wait and see what the levels are, but it appears that sticking with SCL8 will make my PVE experience more difficult, not less difficult.  I have a 4* roster, so I can handle level 330 just fine, but level 400 would hurt me.  Since there is a range in the levels, it must correlate in some way with your roster. 

Nevertheless, I'm thinking that this change will make it easier for 5* rosters but harder for 4* rosters at SCL8.
  • lpearl
    lpearl Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    aa25 said:

I think the placement rewards for event and subnodes are both required in these calculations.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So now PvE is basically PvP, all the whales will snipe top placement in SCL6-7 while doing half the work.

At least in PvP I only have to compete versus rosters similar to mine, now I have to compete with 10x power level rosters while both of us face the SAME LEVEL ENEMIES.

Awesome changes devs!
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ursopro said:
    So now PvE is basically PvP, all the whales will snipe top placement in SCL6-7 while doing half the work.

At least in PvP I only have to compete versus rosters similar to mine, now I have to compete with 10x power level rosters while both of us face the SAME LEVEL ENEMIES.

Awesome changes devs!
    For a test event, yes you have to see if that's the case.  

And it's not half the work for placement.  Half the time sure, but not half the work, still have to clear all the nodes optimally.

This is the first iteration, not the last.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Cant wait for CL9 and 10.
    CL9 will be requiring champed 5*s and CL10 will be doable only with 3* Deadpools whales :D
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ursopro said:

Awesome changes devs!
    It won't even be whales dropping down either, people who have built a broad 4* roster steadily but have just had **** luck when it comes to 5*s are not going to be able to compete for placements against 5* rosters in SCL8 so why not save themselves some time and effort and also drop down to SCL 6 or 7 too.