Scaling Tied To S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels (5/25/17)

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alsmir said:
    So what is happenoing? Did we start 2017 with the new motto "Support the whales at all cost, screw anyone else."?

Vaulting, HfH, now this?

I'm definitely out of CL8. Can't do more than CL7 under the new system. I'm forec to do 5 clears instead of 4 for the same rewards, but now I can forget about any placement rewards as well.

I'm so desperately trying to find logic in the recent changes, but all I see is greed. Surely whales and vets are happy, but everyone else is being told to leave at the same time.

After they spent the last two years trying their best to alienate vets with insane scaling, punishment for leveling their characters and other great stuff I consider this change a small step in the right direction.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    I know the insane scaling had to be fixed and I am glad if this is a step in that direction.

But creating this huge difference in difficulty between scl7 and scl8 without an equal difference in terms of rewards, I fear (like the majority of our 4*transitioners)
     that there will be an "exodus" of 5* players from scl8 to scl7 so there will be no chance for the others to get a valuable placement.
    The solution could be simple:

1) increase the rewards for scl8 so this could stimulate 5*players to aim for better rewards.
    2) get rid of placement and create a Progression rewards only structure ,so there will be no need to clear and grinding faster 
    but ones will get rewards based on how much they play at MPQ.

• Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:
    Alsmir said:
    So what is happenoing? Did we start 2017 with the new motto "Support the whales at all cost, screw anyone else."?

Vaulting, HfH, now this?

I'm definitely out of CL8. Can't do more than CL7 under the new system. I'm forec to do 5 clears instead of 4 for the same rewards, but now I can forget about any placement rewards as well.

I'm so desperately trying to find logic in the recent changes, but all I see is greed. Surely whales and vets are happy, but everyone else is being told to leave at the same time.

After they spent the last two years trying their best to alienate vets with insane scaling, punishment for leveling their characters and other great stuff I consider this change a small step in the right direction.
    Your life must be real hard, when you can collect 4* covers and 25 cp from PvP.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    I've still got a relatively low level roster: I stopped playing for a year, so my roster is tilted towards older heroes that are harder to get covers for now.  I'd mainly been playing in clearance level 7, but tried out clearance level 8 (once I was able to) when I had no chance of placing well due to a missing essential.

With the recent changes to the progression rewards, I'd decided that I'd switch fully to CL8 because the extra rewards seemed worth it to improve my roster (with a top 50 finish, I'd get two extra 3* covers and 50 extra HP).

This change essentially locks me out of CL8 for the foreseeable future.  And it's not clear that the extra rewards from CL8 would justify the harder matches when I get to a point where I could realistically complete them.

About the only good thing I can say about the change is that it solves the problem of new players finding story mode to be unplayable after getting lucky enough to roster a 5* character.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    I'm looking forward to the time this saves me on my grind.  I assume that this going well would be a precursor to opening up scl 9?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:

Best change to PVE ever, right up there with the introduction of time slices.

Shaving 50 levels of my enemies will give me 45 minute clear times instead of 60-65, which is definitely a QOL change.

I don't see myself dropping down to CL7, BTW. Unless I really want to see how fast I can obliterate level 260s.

I agree, but you are looking at this as though you are currently going to be saved time and done a favour. Only temporarily, they will drop 9 or 9 and 10 on you for much better rewards and equal or worse scaling than you have already.

This is just laying the foundations for the next level of rewards. So I think the levels are about right, I don't have any 5*s so it would keep me out of 9 and 10, how it should be. They should also lock out 5* rosters from 6 and 7 when 9 and 10 come along.

A good change, won't make a lot of difference to me, I will drop from 8 to 7 with my 4* roster and eat it up for now.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    I think if this had been in place when clearance levels were introduced, pretty much everyone would have loved it and people would have moved up the SCLs as their rosters developed rather than as they hit an arbitrary SR. As it stands, there's a three-way disconnect because you have, in SCL 8, 5* rosters who are facing overscaled enemies and don't really need the covers, 4* rosters who need the covers but can't usually get them except through​progression, and 3* rosters who barely need the covers but are up against much stronger rosters and are unlikely to place well.

I've been playing in SCL 8 since I hit whatever level was required. At the time I had champed about half of my 3*s, I think, and had no 4*s over 5 covers. I do okay, usually getting T50, and have done pretty consistently since I moved up. I'm now in the 3-4* transition, with 10 4* champs, and while I could probably manage the SCL 8 scaling that's proposed if I had some strong boosted characters, I don't think Medusa and Gwenpool will cut it in this event. I'll drop down to SCL 7 for this one, but that's not a big deal.

I hope that, if this is implemented long-term, the brackets are filled using something like the PvP MMR, so that 5* players can use their 4* characters with decent scaling without completely locking out lower-level players from all the placement prizes. Of course, that might just bring us back to the whole softcapping issue.

Tl; dr: tests are good. I like the idea. I look forward to tweaking to improve everyone's playing experience.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Bowgentle said:
    Alsmir said:

Vaulting, HfH, now this?

Surely a far better option would have been to stop clobbering 5* rosters without trashing things for everyone else though? It is not like those rosters weren't already cruising through pvp already after all.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Alsmir said:

Vaulting, HfH, now this?

Maybe they finally gave up on trying to appease the ungrateful, non-spending masses that make up the majority of this forum???
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Alsmir said:

Vaulting, HfH, now this?

Haha, not too long ago changes were being made that players said made life harder on vets and easier for everyone else. 

Seems development team damned no matter what they do.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Dauthi said:
    Pongie said:
    May be obvious but this is likely the breakup of scl compared to your roster progress

SCL 1:  30 - building up 1*
    SCL 2:  55 - 1* maxed (40-50), building up 2* (<94)
    SCL 3:  84 - 2* championed (94+), building up 3* (<166)
    SCL 4: 140 - 2* maxed (144), 3* championed (166+)
    SCL 5: 180 - 3* championed (166-266), building up 4* (<270)
    SCL 6: 230 - 3* maxed (266), 4* championed (270+)
    SCL 7: 260 - 4* championed (270+), building up 5* (255+)
    SCL 8: 400 - 4* championed (270-370), 5* championed (450+)

Having boosted characters means you may be able to keep up with the scaling within your SCL
    There should be a slight correction thanks to vaulting in SCL 8. 

SCL 8: 400 - 4* championed (270-300), 5* championed (450+)

This is what I was alluding to in my other post, but I hope the developers see this. 4* champs are not in competition with 5*s because there will never be overlap thanks to vaulting, while in the other divisions shown there is. I hope they fix it soon.
    Tell that to my Carol, who in less than two months of being champed, along with 4* Blade, has already blown past my highest vaulted 4*, which was IMHB, who was champed the day the system went into place. Four others in the current 12 are also within a few levels of the 283 that IMHB took over a year to get to with the older, ever-more-diluted tokens. I'm by no means an elite player, but I probably average about one LT pull a day, so I pressume for those that are spending and playing way more than I, accumulating high champ rewards for a pool of 12 will actually be significantly easier than doing so for a group of now around 50.

I'm about two to three weeks away from being at an equilibrium point where I will have the entire current 12 either champed, or ready to be levelled as I get the covers to finish them when they get added to the pool each month. After that, I can actually go back and level a few older 4*s with the iso I get while I've got everything in the current group accounted for. A scenario where I can assure no wasted covers (and actually effectively get characters finished as they release) would have been virtually impossible the ways things were just a few short months ago.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    FWIW, I'm not looking forward to the, in my case, increased scaling for SCL 8. But I am going to stick with it for the test.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    New McG said:
    Dauthi said:
    Pongie said:
    May be obvious but this is likely the breakup of scl compared to your roster progress

SCL 1:  30 - building up 1*
    SCL 2:  55 - 1* maxed (40-50), building up 2* (<94)
    SCL 3:  84 - 2* championed (94+), building up 3* (<166)
    SCL 4: 140 - 2* maxed (144), 3* championed (166+)
    SCL 5: 180 - 3* championed (166-266), building up 4* (<270)
    SCL 6: 230 - 3* maxed (266), 4* championed (270+)
    SCL 7: 260 - 4* championed (270+), building up 5* (255+)
    SCL 8: 400 - 4* championed (270-370), 5* championed (450+)

Having boosted characters means you may be able to keep up with the scaling within your SCL
    There should be a slight correction thanks to vaulting in SCL 8. 

SCL 8: 400 - 4* championed (270-300), 5* championed (450+)

This is what I was alluding to in my other post, but I hope the developers see this. 4* champs are not in competition with 5*s because there will never be overlap thanks to vaulting, while in the other divisions shown there is. I hope they fix it soon.
    Tell that to my Carol, who in less than two months of being champed, along with 4* Blade, has already blown past my highest vaulted 4*, which was IMHB, who was champed the day the system went into place. Four others in the current 12 are also within a few levels of the 283 that IMHB took over a year to get to with the older, ever-more-diluted tokens. I'm by no means an elite player, but I probably average about one LT pull a day, so I pressume for those that are spending and playing way more than I, accumulating high champ rewards for a pool of 12 will actually be significantly easier than doing so for a group of now around 50.

I'm about two to three weeks away from being at an equilibrium point where I will have the entire current 12 either champed, or ready to be levelled as I get the covers to finish them when they get added to the pool each month. After that, I can actually go back and level a few older 4*s with the iso I get while I've got everything in the current group accounted for. A scenario where I can assure no wasted covers (and actually effectively get characters finished as they release) would have been virtually impossible the ways things were just a few short months ago.
    Agree with this.  My best 4* is Iceman at 364 - the only 4* BH I have ever had.  Next up is Medusa at 346 - she was the highest of the newest 12 when vaulting started.  My barometer is Coulsen at 306 - he is the first of the newest 12 that I never sold a cover for.  He has been in for I think 3 of 9 seasons, and I've pulled 49 total covers for him - another 64 seems well within the realm of possibility.  At this point 270-370 is a reality for me.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe they finally gave up on trying to appease the ungrateful, non-spending masses that make up the majority of this forum???
    You're being so cryptic, just be plain, tell us how you really feel. Let it out. We won't judge.

:/
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    You're being so cryptic, just be plain, tell us how you really feel. Let it out. We won't judge.

:/
    I bet he is enjoying this game - 5 hours each day, figting super powerful enemies just to get some awesome (100, 250 or even 500!! ISO) rewards. All in all, all that matters is being grateful for everything you got :D
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Alsmir said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Alsmir said:

Vaulting, HfH, now this?

Your life must be real hard, when you can collect 4* covers and 25 cp from PvP.
    Nice try Alsmir - it is almost impossible for most players to get above 700 points in PvP - tried that many times - after 700-800 points competitors are attacking so frequently you simply cant get points faster than lose them...
    Feel free to prove me wrong with printscreen of you reaching 4* + 25CP from PVP progress :)
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not a big fan of this since I will have to move down to SCL 7 from SCL 8.  I suppose that my play will be slightly easier than it is now but I will be giving up  iso and a 3* cover that I would prefer to keep.  This will hurt many transitioning players who have somewhat balanced rosters and will really help people who have unbalanced rosters, not sure of the motivation.  At least it is just a test but it makes me think they have already decided they will implement it anyway.  What tests have they not implemented in the past?
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    I have a couple of questions (maybe they've been answered before and I missed it, so please don't judge me). When the devs say level 400 enemies do they mean
    1. an entire team of level 400 or just one (like that wave where you fought the giant Venom at the end- he was strong, but at least he was alone)?
    2. are they actual characters or just goons? Because a level 400 Hitman is infinitely easier to defeat than level 400 Daken, for example.

3. if the SCL7 fills up, what's going to happen? Brackets, more competition? Also, would it be possible to make the placement rewards dependent on the number of competitors (example, 100 competitors- first 10 win big reward, 1000 competitors, first 100 win big reward)?
  • AlluAllu
    AlluAllu Posts: 86 Match Maker
    As long as the rewards are balanced with the difficulty, clearance level scaling could be one of the best updates to the game. :) Sense of progression! But, it might take a longish time to hit a decent balance.