Update to Progression Rewards in Story Events (5/18/17)

Options

Comments

• nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Please tell me that you fixed wave nodes in the calculation so we don't have to clear them 5x

@Brigby
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    GurlBYE said:

This playerbase is just grossly polarized between Intensely Hardcore, and mobile game casual.

Sorry, I'm not really buying the premise that people doing 4 clears are 'casual.' 4 clears is at least an hour, if not more. Throw in DDQ, and you're at a likely minimum of 90 minutes a day, without discussing PvP, Sim, LRs, or the actual time consuming process of opening tokens, leveling rosters, etc.

90 minutes a day is not casual. (it's not Hardcore either of course)
    But it's not just "90 minutes per day".  For me it's fairly regular to have days when I have maybe 10 mins to play max. That's it. It doesn't matter the slightest that the next day I will be able to put in 3hrs of play. I miss one sub and the final reward is gone. I used to be able to sometimes make up for it with doing as much as 6 clears on most nodes in 1-2 subs, but now that possibility is gone.

Furthermore, my reasonable goal was 4* cover and 10 cp. Now 20% of that cp is gone.

Btw, DDQ takes 15 minutes max, I consider LRs an event for people with no life and shield SIM is jst a grind on the last weekend of the season.

So, yes, I consider myself casual and new additions hurt me and create even bigger gap between me and hardcore players. As long as there are no seperate brackets for casual and hardcore, this is an issue.

Gauntlet is the only progression based PvE rigt now, and these changes don't even slightly bring regular PvE close to gauntlet's reward system.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I am mixed about the change.  I think the change to 7 day events is really good and makes them far more worthwhile to play.  I am not happy about changes to 3/4 day events.  I am generally a 4 clear PvE player.  I usually don't grind nodes past that point unless I really think I have a chance at placement (which is rare).  Now I will have to clear 5 times to get top progression (which is the 15 CP still I imagine).  So in effect, I will have to increase my playing time about 25%.  The added rewards to the 3/4 day events is not worth 25% more time imo. This game already consumes too much time, I believe this change makes it more likely that people will now spend more time, something I just read the devs thought wasn't a good goal regarding changes to progression.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Magic said:
    More grinding for the same rewards. How cool is that. Can't wait.

On what earth is it the "same rewards?"  There's a significant bump in progression rewards here.  
    For 7 day events yes.  But for 3/4 day events, I would say it far less appealing for most players.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    As someone who always does 6-7 clears regardless, it isn't any more of a commitment to me than it already is, so I'm pleased with the increased rewards regardless of how unimpressive it actually is. It's still the same amount of effort to ME. I do feel bad however for the people that did their 4 and got outta dodge. If you want to play this game hardcore multiple hours of the day, that should be YOUR choice as a player. It still is, but now they're penalizing the people who like to take it easy. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As someone who always does 6-7 clears regardless, it isn't any more of a commitment to me than it already is, so I'm pleased with the increased rewards regardless of how unimpressive it actually is. It's still the same amount of effort to ME. I do feel bad however for the people that did their 4 and got outta dodge. If you want to play this game hardcore multiple hours of the day, that should be YOUR choice as a player. It still is, but now they're penalizing the people who like to take it easy. 
    Penalizing them in CP only. The rest of the rewards have been boosted, in some cases substantially
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alsmir said:
    But it's not just "90 minutes per day".  For me it's fairly regular to have days when I have maybe 10 mins to play max. That's it. It doesn't matter the slightest that the next day I will be able to put in 3hrs of play. I miss one sub and the final reward is gone. I used to be able to sometimes make up for it with doing as much as 6 clears on most nodes in 1-2 subs, but now that possibility is gone.

Furthermore, my reasonable goal was 4* cover and 10 cp. Now 20% of that cp is gone.
    I appreciate your dilemma but if you're not doing the 4 daily then you're different than the 'non-casual' i'm referring to.  Though it still sounds like you're trying to put in 10+ hours a week, so yeah, IMO you're pushing the boundaries of what casual really is.  

In case there's any confusion, I'm hardly a PvE hardcore.  I did just enough in Venom to get Mordo. I'm skipping/bracket sniping this weekend release b/c of real life stuff.   I routinely skip subs and do exactly what you're saying, try to make it up later.  

I just don't see this a (total) negative, because it's already a more time = more rewards game, and falling behind hits a terminal velocity.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just curious, say I play CL8 and did not know about the change. If I did 4 clears like normal until the last day, is there enough points to make up for the missed 5th clear the previous 2/3 days?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Straycat said:
    Just curious, say I play CL8 and did not know about the change. If I did 4 clears like normal until the last day, is there enough points to make up for the missed 5th clear the previous 2/3 days?

Think it depends on the event, and how optimal you can be on the last day.  

3 days events gut says you should be ok, might need to optimize the clears a bit.
    4 day events with 24-48-24, if you do the extra clear on the 'off day' 48 you should be fine, 4x24 would probably be hard to make up.
    7 days, maybe with EotS since it's heavily backloaded points wise.

That's gut feel though, I'm sure at some point someone will take the data and find the shortcuts.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am shield rank 81, but have been playing clearance level 7 because the middling increase in rewards was not worth the extra aggravation.  I am planning on trying clearance 8 with these changes though.  I have tried to be top 50 in clearance 7, so I am no hardcore player.  
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As a semi-casual player, my goal was always to at least get the 4-star progression reward, which used to be just a little bit past 2 clears.  I'd occasionally make max progression but there is usually a day or two during an event that I'm not able to get 4 (now 5) clears because of, you know, life.

Looking at the tables, for the level of effort I usually am able to put in (a little over 2 clears to get the 4-star), I'll now get less rewards overall for 3-4 day events but more for 7 day events.  I broke the net change down as follows and assumed SCL 8 and that the current 4-star progression level is roughly equal to the new 8/18 CP progression level.

For 3-4 day events: -200 Iso, -100 HP, -2 CP, + 1 Elite Token, +1 3-star (I'm going to call that a net loss)

For 7-day events: +4900 Iso, +1 Heroic Token, +2 Elite Tokens, +8 CP, +4 3-stars, -40 HP, -1 Event Token (I'm calling that a net gain)
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Penalizing them in CP only. The rest of the rewards have been boosted, in some cases substantially

Actually, the decrease is in both CP (by -2) and Hero Points (by -100) for people going to the 4* cover in the current system for 3/4 days event. Otherwise, as you said, it's a boost in other (non-health pack/boost) rewards.  That being said, I honestly probably won't notice one missing classic legendary token every 5 weeks of 3-day/4-day PVE events.  I will notice the decrease in HP significantly more, but I'll likely just drop some of the deadweight on my roster, as needed (I'm far from a completionist, fortunately).  It will also change my willingness to do the Hero-for-Hire, as I'll be hundreds of HP short from my previous rate of acquisition.

• Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The changes and rewards increase is good for my playing style, but I definitely feel for those who have barely been able to make the 4 clears for max progression. A solid plan would have been to leave this large part of the player base unaffected by this restructure. 
    It will be interesting to see how this changes the battle for placement, since I could always notice a drop off in competition once average scorers met this former max progression.
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The nice thing about PvE is you get a part time job without having to interview!
    LOL - #accurate
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Here is an agreeable status.

This sucks. 
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5 clears?  Wow, the downward spiral continues.  I mean, with the bugs, vaulting, and nerfs, I'd already quit playing events and basically check into the forums from time to time only out of morbid curiosity.  But, way to ensure I have no motivation whatsoever to come back.
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Either this is false outrage or an inability to properly understand the info provided by D3Go!.

Everyone who's been complaining has been doing so under the assumption that they have an absolute finite amount of time to play every day, and this amount of time is somehow immutable.

If you were doing 4 clears for every node, that's exactly the amount of time you can spend, and there's absolutely no way you could do any more. Not on the weekend, not when the wife's out with her friends or the hubby's watching a football match, not when the kids have gone to bed early, or when you've got half a day off from school.

I don't buy that premise for a second.

Everybody gets days that they're busy doing other stuff, and everybody gets days when they're bored out of their minds and grab a video game.

Yes, if you play exactly the same amount of clears, and that number is lower than 5 per node, then you're gonna lose out on some CP. You'll also lose out on Iso-8 which is given out when clearing 5/6x, and you'll lose out on boosts and XP.

The number of rewards has not only increased by adding more rewards at more points. You get rewards at shorter intervals. That means if you had to get 3000 points for 400 Iso-8 (and I'm pulling that number out of my ****), now you get an Elite token for 1000 points, 200 Iso-8 for 2000, and another 200 for 3000. So if you're extremely busy and only managed to get 2500 points, in the old system you got zippo, nothing, nada. Now you've got an Elite token and 200 Iso-8.

And lets not forget that the maximum progression is calculated on doing 5 clears successively. Points increase as you progress through the event, with the most points given on the final day. Points also recover as you wait after the 4th clear. I'm convinced that you can still easily make max progression if you only do 5 clears on the more difficult levels, or on the final day, with the initial 4 at the start of the level, and the fifth an hour before the event ends. Making maximum progression by no means requires you to play every node 5 times. You may however need to play a little bit smarter.

Everybody's seems to be focusing only on what they get less, while ignoring what they get more of and how easy it is to benefit from the extra rewards.

Honestly, if getting more rewards for more play is the excuse you need to quit as some have said, then it's probably best that you do. You're obviously not playing this game because you enjoy it or for a sense of accomplishment.