Upcoming Feature: Tournament Seasons Discussion

Options
IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
S.H.I.E.L.D. command has long been proud of their Agents in regards to the work that they do battling H.A.M.M.E.R. and any other threats to the safety of mankind. Versus Tournaments are another way that Agents have been able to improve their skills and test their mettle against other Agents in a consequence free environment. To further this aim, S.H.I.E.L.D. is instituting a new feature to these Tournaments, a Season format.

Each Season will run about a month with all Versus Tournaments that take place adding to the running points total for the Agents that take part in them. If an Agent is a part of an Alliance, the Alliance will gain points as well. Each Season will offer prizes for progression for individual Agents as well as placement rewards for both Agents and Alliances. S.H.I.E.L.D. command believes that the introduction of this new meta-Tournament will allow Agents to train themselves to even higher levels of efficiency in the search for greater rewards before taking that experience to the real world in the battle against Osborn.

Comments

• Is this for the SHIELD training or just all PvP tournaments? It's not a bad idea but I don't see any outcome being too useful if tanking isn't resolved.
  • This could either be really cool or just kinda...there.
  • IceIX
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Is this for the SHIELD training or just all PvP tournaments? It's not a bad idea but I don't see any outcome being too useful if tanking isn't resolved.
    It's for time based Tournaments. It does not influence S.H.I.E.L.D. Training.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Options
    The way it reads makes it look like the "Season" is basically a month long progression reward list based upon all of your PvP activity for that season.

I got IceIX'ed! (Yeah, that's a verb now)

Thanks for the clarification.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One small clarification: Suppose I had 900 points and lost 500 points so that I ended up with 400 points at the end of the tournament. Would that tournament then give me 400 points towards my progression awards or 900? This seems like an interesting way to make all tournaments relevant to the player. I guess SHIELD is going to have to go for 1100 every single tournament from now on...
  • IceIX
    Options
    One small clarification: Suppose I had 900 points and lost 500 points so that I ended up with 400 points at the end of the tournament. Would that tournament then give me 400 points towards my progression awards or 900? This seems like an interesting way to make all tournaments relevant to the player. I guess SHIELD is going to have to go for 1100 every single tournament from now on...
    Your points are the final points, not highest rating.
  • This should be interesting...

Progression rewards for agents, placements for agents and alliances, etc.

Would this include Lightning Round? Or would this just consist of the normal multi-day tournies like First Avenger?
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Options
    "S.H.I.E.L.D. has noticed that some of its agents are taking occasional days off. What do you think S.H.I.E.L.D. stands for, France?"

I dread this change, d3p is way too good at figuring out ways to keep me playing constantly
  • Will there be any MMR adjustment or resetting in between seasons?
  • This sounds interesting, but may make it harder to take some time off without letting down your alliance.
  • NorthernPolarity
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Also, will lightning rounds count towards this score? (please say no, please say no...)
  • Dreylin
    Dreylin Posts: 241
    Options
    It's also not /entirely/ clear whether it's just PvP or also PvE. I read it as the former.
  • IceIX
    Options
    Teke184 wrote:
    Would this include Lightning Round? Or would this just consist of the normal multi-day tournies like First Avenger?
    No Lightning Rounds. We don't want players to think that they need to stay up for 72 hours each week to stay competitive.
  • I don't see the point of this feature other than double counting the existing tournament results and encourage even more tanking.

If the tournament season is instead based on say the sum of your MMR at the end of each event that'd actually be different enough.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Teke184 wrote:
    No Lightning Rounds. We don't want players to think that they need to stay up for 72 hours each week to stay competitive.

Thank God...
  • IceIX
    Options
    Dreylin wrote:
    It's also not /entirely/ clear whether it's just PvP or also PvE. I read it as the former.
    Versus Tournaments only.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't see the point of this feature other than double counting the existing tournament results and encourage even more tanking.

If the tournament season is instead based on say the sum of your MMR at the end of each event that'd actually be different enough.

Wait, how would this feature encourage tanking more than it's already being encouraged?
  • You know I like playing games but I hate going to work. Both give me rewards for showing up and participating. I starting to think my job is more fun and easier... At least at work I can easily be the best, in MPQ the top rewards only go to one team.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Teke184 wrote:

*whew*, that would have been brutal...
  • Phantron wrote:
    I don't see the point of this feature other than double counting the existing tournament results and encourage even more tanking.

Wait, how would this feature encourage tanking more than it's already being encouraged?

Because now there's even more prizes given for tanking well from the prizes on the season event

The tournament season should measure MMR, not PvP rating, since it's well known that you have to have a relatively low MMR to have a high PvP rating, and yet by definition the people with the highest MMR are supposed to be the best players so that makes no sense.