New Feature: Bonus Heroes! *Updated (3/1/17)

Options

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Could be better:
    * There's no good avenue to focus on more than one older 4*. Players with a lot of partially-covered 4*s outside tokens are stuck waiting for progression rewards to use that batch of characters. Players who before were happy spending CP/LTs that would gain champion levels on their older/higher-level 4*s now have avenue to continue that broad progression.

Or... you could pick them as your favourite icon_e_smile.gif 5% is better odds of getting Hulkbuster than you have right now. Do them one at a time, and git'er done.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    IlDuderino wrote:
    I think it's a shame that this does nothing to discourage further hoarding of CP and Legendary Tokens.

Will keep saving until I have enough to cover the three latest 5*s and will also have to save enough iso to max the 12 latest 4*s I will be maxing at the same time to avoid massive cover wastage!

Exactly. And, the increased drop rate is virtually nil for 5*s. 5% on a 15% chance! Awesome, an extra 1 5* cover every 133 pulls (2667cp for classics OR 3333cp for latests)!

Plus, it really annoys me that they've vaulted all but 12 of the 4*s. I was hoarding LTs and CPs and ISO to bust once this feature was made official, but now that they've vaulted the older 4*s, I feel like I need to save up 2.5m ISO to be able to champ the 7 newest 4*s I don't have champed already. Before this vault ****, I could live with 5-10 wasted covers on the 200+ pulls I have saved, but now I'm likely gonna have 14 covers for each of those newest 12 (200 x 85% / 12) and there's no way I'm gonna let 14 covers expire for any 4* character, even if they're as mediocre as Gwen, Blade, Wasp, Venom, Spiderwoman, Riri, or Cage.

Ugh, classic Devs... one step forward (kinda), two steps back.
  • Banacek555
    Banacek555 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Cheers chaps, understood now.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hidden issue to keep in mind: opening large hoards of LTs will now produce large numbera of covers for the most recent 4*s. Unless people have tons of spare iso to champ all those 4*s very quickly, there will probably be more unusable covers.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Jaedenkaal wrote:

Pretty sure I saw the standard token say 3* odds are 1/7

"What is the Chance to Get a Bonus Hero?
    Each single cover pack has a 5% chance to get a Bonus Hero. Each draw from a 10x and 40x cover pack has a 8% chance to get Bonus Hero. Every time you pull a 3-Star from a Standard Pack you will get an additional 3-Star Bonus Hero. "

Yes, I understand. I was saying, the odds of pulling a 3* in a standard token is now 1/7, according to the game. Anyone who has a standard token to open right now could verify that for me. My working memory is not amazing, I will admit.
  • geno685
    geno685 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    I think the vaulting will help out the lower tier players ALOT, cuz now they have a selected amount of heroes they can build up and after so much time, it switches up and by then they hopefully have enough hp to support the new options available. Also when just starting the 4star transition this will help as again they will have a selected amount to obtain from and wont be as swamped with different covers. Lastly it will be easier for lower end players who are trying to build their 4 star platform with the newer realeases because they arent in a good enough alliance or dont go and grind like mad to get progression and top placement.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    A lot of posts saying you pull a 3* and get a bonus 3*, pull a 4* and get a bonus 4*...that's not how this works unless i'm crazy. 5% chance to win a bonus, AFTER your chances to pull a 3/4/5. The store description makes it sound like an always on 5% chance to win, but you have to pull a 3/4/5 before you even spin the wheel for a bonus cover. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Not liking this at all.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We now need a 3 star.png token, I just opened 109 elites, drew 20 3 star.png and triggered 3 bonuses
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Hidden issue to keep in mind: opening large hoards of LTs will now produce large numbera of covers for the most recent 4*s. Unless people have tons of spare iso to champ all those 4*s very quickly, there will probably be more unusable covers.

Yup. This was already good advice before, but (perhaps) more so now. Don't open a token if there's a chance that you'll get a character you don't have the HP to roster.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,754 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Love the feature, absolutely hate that all the characters aren't in there. Put them all back in and let us choose a bonus. Yes RNG can be a pain but it's also been nice bringing along all my 4*s to get to the point where they can complete Crash. Ice is one of my least covered 4* now I have to set him and him alone as my bonus 4* as he's just too top tier to miss out on.

Put them all back in and let us disregard those we don't want because half your new ones I neither want or will ever put ISO into past DDQ level to pass.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,377 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    [..]
    Additional Changes to Cover Stores:
    Standard packs can only be redeemed from tokens earned and are no longer purchasable with Iso-8. There will be two Legendary Cover stores going forward: Latest Legendary and Classic Legendary cover store.
    I think this is a drawback for beginning players. I know it's bad practice in the long run to purchase packs with ISO, but it's a convenient way to get your first 2* characters better covered if you're starting out, since you'll typically have a lot of ISO on your hands with limited characters to spend it on.

Other than that: I'm a bit conflicted whether I should mark my 4/2/5 Thoress or 5/1/5 X-23 as bonus cover, because I'm afraid I will only draw bonus covers in colors I already maxed. Hey Brigby, how about some input on viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37571 ? icon_e_wink.gif
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ludaa wrote:
    A lot of posts saying you pull a 3* and get a bonus 3*, pull a 4* and get a bonus 4*...that's not how this works unless i'm crazy. 5% chance to win a bonus, AFTER your chances to pull a 3/4/5. The store description makes it sound like an always on 5% chance to win, but you have to pull a 3/4/5 before you even spin the wheel for a bonus cover. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Not liking this at all.

You've misunderstood. If you get the bonus hero it will be a bonus hero in the same star tier that you just drew.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Tony Foot wrote:
    Put them all back in and let us disregard those we don't want because half your new ones I neither want or will ever put ISO into past DDQ level to pass.

Why is that though? Don't like them, or because new characters are so hard to cover... icon_e_smile.gif
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

Yep. When I first heard about bonus heroes I was bummed that I'd already opened my big LT hoard last week. Now I'm kind of relieved, because I got all those champ levels on older 4*s instead of an even bigger vine of newer ones I need to level up.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 727 Critical Contributor
    Options
    xidragonxi wrote:
    Now, one can argue which is better, but the end goal here sure seems like they're trying to flatten out the availability of the tier to create more interest in the newer heroes. That's not a terrible goal honestly, since a big gripe is how irrelevant new releases are currently.

There was an easy solution to this: Put the latest 12 (or whatever the number is) 4* characters in LATEST LEGENDS tokens, and the older 20-30 4* characters in CLASSIC LEGENDS tokens.

Problem solved. Fewer people annoyed. Want the shiny new character? Pony up an extra 5 CP. Want an older one? You got it.

This makes sense to me. 34 4* heroes are now AWOL from tokens that were there before. I've only 9 champed, so a good number of those 34 were still useful covers to me.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock wrote:
    Arphaxad wrote:
    How are players supposed to get 4* covers for older champions? Not all of us can finish in the top 10 of slices to get rewards.

By making those characters your "favorites".
    And then getting very, very lucky.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

That's actually a very good point. The game is still incredibly ISO starved.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Ludaa wrote:

Not liking this at all.

You've misunderstood. If you get the bonus hero it will be a bonus hero in the same star tier that you just drew.

First of all, many of those posts have glossed over the part where there's only a chance to get the bonus cover. Part of what we're talking about is how the system works after you've already been given a bonus cover.

Second, in standard tokens you'll always get a bonus cover when you pull a 3*. The additional 5% chance roll is not done.

Finally, I believe commenting on how the 5% chance works on a token where the odds of drawing a 3* OR a 4* are not 100%; ie, heroic tokens. Presumably the overall chance of getting a bonus cover is not 5% of tokens opened, but only 5% of heroic tokens opened and that yielded a 3% or 4%. That may not necessarily be true, though, depending on how they do the rolling.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I definitely like bonus stuff, but I've gotten some Bonus Heroes I didn't have as the defaults or as my changes.

I started with ... Peggy and I don't remember what else for 4*s, but I switched to Bulls3ye, Strang3, C4ptain Marvel, IM46, and 5* Black Panther.

I pulled 1 Thor PvP, 10LLs and CLs and I got Strang3, Star-Lord, Medusa, Gwenpool, and Peggy as bonuses. After the first few mis-draws, I chalked it up to my phone not updating the server. So, I closed MPQ, restarted my phone, reopened the app, and contributed re-drawing Not-Selected Bonus Heroes. They were mostly useable, which was nice, but not necessarily what I wanted.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    Borstock wrote:
    Arphaxad wrote:
    How are players supposed to get 4* covers for older champions? Not all of us can finish in the top 10 of slices to get rewards.

By making those characters your "favorites".
    And then getting very, very lucky.

Luck is a very bad reward system icon_e_sad.gif