New Feature: Bonus Heroes! *Updated (3/1/17)

Options

Comments

• cozmo1682
    cozmo1682 Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Options
    alaeth wrote:
    Ok so if I favourite say Hulkbuster and Iceman they will get added to packs. If I pull Hulkbuster I will then get another cover of a favourite 4* (ie. Hulkbuster OR Iceman?)

Is that it?

No. They do not get added to packs.

If you pull any other 4*, you will have a 5% chance to draw one of your favorite 4*s. A randomly selected one of your favorite 4s.
    So if I spend 20CP on a classic legend and get say Medusa/Peggy I will THEN get Hulkbuster or Iceman?
    That's my understanding... yes... 5% chance at Hulkbuster or Iceman.

So 95% of the time, nothing new is going to happen icon_lol.gif
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Borstock wrote:
    waywreth wrote:
    Are the bonus hero tiers independent of each other?

Example - I want a specific 4* so I favorite them. Does making a 3* character(s) a favorite hurt my odds of getting that favorited 4* when I open a Heroic token?

The way they worded it, my interpretation is that the tiers are independent.

Thanks - that's what someone else posted as well. I like it.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So I guess you have to make sure you favorite every 4* you don't have if you want a chance at playing the new node on ddq.

At least that's what I'll be doing until the developers brains start functioning again and they undo this
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think it's a shame that this does nothing to discourage further hoarding of CP and Legendary Tokens.

Will keep saving until I have enough to cover the three latest 5*s and will also have to save enough iso to max the 12 latest 4*s I will be maxing at the same time to avoid massive cover wastage!
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Am i missing something, or should i only select 5* favorites when opening LTs?

In-game the new odds pages suggest that i still have a 1:20 chance of pulling a favorite, whether my favorite pool is populated by 5*s or 4*s and 5*s.

Also, demi: not sure about the switch stating odds as ratios (X:Y) rather than percentages. 3.67% seems a lit more precise than ~1:25.

Overall i appreciate the desire to give players more agency over their roster development; that is a much needed change. BUT, like many others i am concerned by the long term implications of removing older characters from tokens.

And this is clearly MUCH too big a change to push out with just a few hours notice. Players should have known about this change at least a week in advance.

When you open a latest legends and get a bonus cover, if you open a 4* character you'll get your 4* favourite (or among them, if you've chosen more than one). If you open a 5*, you're get your 5* favourite (or among them, if you've chosen more than one). If you haven't chosen a favourite for that tier level, you'll get a random cover of that tier.

Then the in-game odds page is completely misleading.

I believe what it's attemping to show you is your odds of getting a bonus character, along with what characters you've chosen that are possible to get. On the legendary pages it doesn't show 3*s, for instance, because you can't get those from opening a legendary token.

The odds shown are the odds to get something from the indicated pool. Not the odds of getting each item in that pool. The odds of each item in that pool are also not guaranteed to be the same; if you look at the Krakadoom! store, you'll see that there is a 1 in 4 odds of getting a 3*, and it shows you which ones you could get. Of those, Rags is highlighted (because he's featured) so he has higher odds of being picked compared to the other 20. There's still only a 1/4 chance of getting a 3*, though.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Now, one can argue which is better, but the end goal here sure seems like they're trying to flatten out the availability of the tier to create more interest in the newer heroes. That's not a terrible goal honestly, since a big gripe is how irrelevant new releases are currently.

There was an easy solution to this: Put the latest 12 (or whatever the number is) 4* characters in LATEST LEGENDS tokens, and the older 20-30 4* characters in CLASSIC LEGENDS tokens.

Problem solved. Fewer people annoyed. Want the shiny new character? Pony up an extra 5 CP. Want an older one? You got it.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Keep in mind that you have a 5% chance to get a "bonus" 4* from all non-vault tokens. So if you need to cover someone like Iceman, set him as your only 4* favorite, and you have a 5% chance of getting a bonus Iceman cover any time you pull a 4* from a Legendary, PLUS you'll get a chance at a bonus cover if you happen to pull a 4* from a Heroic token or a PVP/PVE event token. Now, the odds aren't great on pulling a 4* from anything below a Legendary token, but it still helps.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I notice Standard Token packs are no longer purchasable. They fuunction on the screen the same way Elite Packs do. They're there if you have one, gone if not.

I mean fair enough, I don't know if anyone ever said spending 500 ISO a pop for the chance of a 3* was a great idea. I mean sure, getting a 3* from a standard now means you get two 3*s, but whaling on standards is not the way to go.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    So I guess you have to make sure you favorite every 4* you don't have if you want a chance at playing the new node on ddq.

At least that's what I'll be doing until the developers brains start functioning again and they undo this

If your goal is to have all the 4*s then you would be better favorite-ing one of them until you get one, and then switching your 4* favourite.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah, it also hamstrings people from getting older characters into Crash-beating shape.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    I notice Standard Token packs are no longer purchasable. They fuunction on the screen the same way Elite Packs do. They're there if you have one, gone if not.

I mean fair enough, I don't know if anyone ever said spending 500 ISO a pop for the chance of a 3* was a great idea. I mean sure, getting a 3* from a standard now means you get two 3*s, but whaling on standards is not the way to go.

Yeah it says that in the original post, hidden under all the pretty pictures icon_e_smile.gif About time, really.
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So I'm 1 cover away from maxing OML, my best odds are now to favorite him and him only and pull from the 25cp store yes?

It's really just a question of which store gives the best odds of pulling a 5 period.. And then hoping the bonus kicks in?
  • Banacek555
    Banacek555 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Can someone help me here.

I don't understand.

Why don't I just add every character as my favourite?

Then they'll all be Bonus Heroes
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Am i missing something, or should i only select 5* favorites when opening LTs?

In-game the new odds pages suggest that i still have a 1:20 chance of pulling a favorite, whether my favorite pool is populated by 5*s or 4*s and 5*s.

Also, demi: not sure about the switch stating odds as ratios (X:Y) rather than percentages. 3.67% seems a lit more precise than ~1:25.

Overall i appreciate the desire to give players more agency over their roster development; that is a much needed change. BUT, like many others i am concerned by the long term implications of removing older characters from tokens.

And this is clearly MUCH too big a change to push out with just a few hours notice. Players should have known about this change at least a week in advance.

When you open a latest legends and get a bonus cover, if you open a 4* character you'll get your 4* favourite (or among them, if you've chosen more than one). If you open a 5*, you're get your 5* favourite (or among them, if you've chosen more than one). If you haven't chosen a favourite for that tier level, you'll get a random cover of that tier.

Then the in-game odds page is completely misleading.

I believe what it's attemping to show you is your odds of getting a bonus character, along with what characters you've chosen that are possible to get. On the legendary pages it doesn't show 3*s, for instance, because you can't get those from opening a legendary token.

The odds shown are the odds to get something from the indicated pool. Not the odds of getting each item in that pool. The odds of each item in that pool are also not guaranteed to be the same; if you look at the Krakadoom! store, you'll see that there is a 1 in 4 odds of getting a 3*, and it shows you which ones you could get. Of those, Rags is highlighted (because he's featured) so he has higher odds of being picked compared to the other 20. There's still only a 1/4 chance of getting a 3*, though.

I am less concerned by what it intends to show than by what it actually shows. It is misleading in its current form. And since the game is trying to sell digital goods for real cash, IMO it's really important to present the digital goods on offer accurately.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    mindsuckr wrote:
    This works for standards as well. Pulled a 3 BPanther and got a bonus 3Strange cover from it.

It works very well for standards. Pull a 3* from a standard, you will always get a 3* bonus! Wheeee!

Something to look forward to .... from every 70th standard or so icon_lol.gif

Presumably, this is why standards are no longer purchasable. Gods forbid a player should whale up 3*s with iso icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Pretty sure I saw the standard token say 3* odds are 1/7
  • philosorapt0r
    philosorapt0r Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Good:
    * Addresses the problems we had of the 4* and 5* Classic pools being so large that fully covering anyone was a RNG crapshoot that left transitioning players with too many undercovered heroes of the tier.
    * Means that it is now possible to reliably finish a specific partially-covered character.
    * People who want to adjust relative character level for color-tanking reasons (e.g. Hulk over Storm) can do so without wasting covers.

Could be better:
    * There's no good avenue to focus on more than one older 4*. Players with a lot of partially-covered 4*s outside tokens are stuck waiting for progression rewards to use that batch of characters. Players who before were happy spending CP/LTs that would gain champion levels on their older/higher-level 4*s now have avenue to continue that broad progression.

Suggestion: Current packs are optimal for people eager to cover new characters, especially people who are first hitting a tier (and so don't have half-covered out-of-pack characters to worry about). Simply add a couple more pack options that cover the entire range of characters (or all except the ones in packs) for people who want that. Make the Classic Legends have 2 choices, the current one, and one with all 4s.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    So I'm 1 cover away from maxing OML, my best odds are now to favorite him and him only and pull from the 25cp store yes?

It's really just a question of which store gives the best odds of pulling a 5 period.. And then hoping the bonus kicks in?

Favourite him and only him...on the 5* tier.
    It's still worth doing a 3* and 4*, or several, since if you pull a 5*, you won't accidentally get a bonus 3* from that. You get a bonus 3* from a 3* pull. You get a bonus 4* from a 4* pull. And a bonus 5* from a 5* pull. You can't get a bonus 4* from a 5* or a bonus 5* from a 3* or any wonky combination.

So pick at least one from each tier unless you don't mind the game picking for you =)
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    Banacek555 wrote:

I don't understand.

You could. But then your chances of getting any particular one of them is still really low. You don't have a 5% chance per character you pick, its 5% total, selected from the characters you picked with the same star tier as the non-bonus cover you drew If you want to get Hulkbuster as a bonus cover, then only pick hulkbuster. Once you have enough Hulkbuster, pick something else. If you don't care, you could pick them all, or pick none (you'll just get a random one in that case).

Put another way, having no favourites is the same as having all favourites.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bigsmooth wrote:
    Keep in mind that you have a 5% chance to get a "bonus" 4* from all non-vault tokens. So if you need to cover someone like Iceman, set him as your only 4* favorite, and you have a 5% chance of getting a bonus Iceman cover any time you pull a 4* from a Legendary, PLUS you'll get a chance at a bonus cover if you happen to pull a 4* from a Heroic token or a PVP/PVE event token. Now, the odds aren't great on pulling a 4* from anything below a Legendary token, but it still helps.

It doesnt say that. Youll get a bonus 1 out of every 20 times you pull a 4* from a heroic, not every time.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Banacek555 wrote:

I don't understand.

If you're assuming adding, for example, Dr Strange, Kamala Khan, Thanos, IM40 and Rocket & Groot as your faves means every time you get that lucky 5% roll and get a 3* character you get a bonus cover for each of your faves...you're misunderstanding the feature =)

If you get that bonus cover you get one cover out of your favourites. So you'd get either a Dr Strange, Kamala Khan, Thanos, IM40 or Rocket & Groot cover.