New Feature: Bonus Heroes! *Updated (3/1/17)

Options

Comments

• Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    JablesMc wrote:
    The Bonus Heroes feature sounds great.

The vaulting that for some reason came along with it, is significantly less great. Building up a robust championed roster was the main draw of the game to me at this point. My ability to build large numbers of 4*s to a usable level looks to have been severely undercut.
    I get the feeling this is intended to be alleviated by choosing older characters as bonus heroes.

Still not sure how I feel about that.

Sort of. The math doesn't work out, at all. You can only heart a couple older 4*s before your draw rate on older 4*s becomes less under the new system than the old one.

Highly champed 4*s were competitive with 5*s. It's a blast running those (boosted Iceman this week was so much fun), and now it's going to be much, much longer before people can get a broad base of other 4*s up to that level.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I read. Still dont quite understand. What happens to the likes of Iceman/Teen Jean/Hulkbuster? Where the heck am I meant to get him?

Same with these 3* that have been dumped into the abyss.
    Pve/pvp placement & progression, vaults, and as your selected "bonus heroes"
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's not really a 5% bonus for pulling 5s, either. Its 5% of the 15% in store, if I'm reading this right. 15% chance of pulling a 5, but 5% chance that pull also has a bonus hero, so its 0.75% chance of getting a bonus 5*. Spend about 2600 cp and you might get one.

Right, 10% would cut that in half, which is a bit better.
  • ZeroChill
    ZeroChill Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So - increased chances on one of the twelve most recent 4's that are available, and a static 5% chance of your "favorite" 4*. I'll take it. Should help players target those characters that are undercovered or behind on levels.

I know I'll be "favoriting" Squirrel Girl (lowest level 3), X-Force Deadpool (undercovered), and Green Goblin (only missing yellow covers). Any chance to randomly pull a favorite is a plus. Also, knowing I can change my favorite at any time without any penalty? Bring it on! commandpoints.png
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I read. Still dont quite understand. What happens to the likes of Iceman/Teen Jean/Hulkbuster? Where the heck am I meant to get him?

Same with these 3* that have been dumped into the abyss.

You designate older characters that you want as Bonus Heroes and get them as freebies with token pulls every so often. There's no limit on the number of characters you can tag that way, so you can just apply it to every out-of-rotation character if you want.
  • Bohemond
    Bohemond Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Why would you ever choose more than 1 favorite from each tier? It seems like you just dilute the chance of getting the hero you really want.
  • cozmo1682
    cozmo1682 Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It just posted and it looks like you can favorite an unlimted amount of heroes? Am I seeing this right?

If thats the case, you could just favorite just about anyone you're lacking and any of your champs and be fine?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Aww, Bagman is exempt (along with Howard and Dino). icon_lol.gif

But, seriously, very nice feature. I like it!
  • tgibbs40
    tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Please tell me I misunderstand this!

They are limiting the amount of 3*s and 4*s I can draw from cover packs? (I think I read that correctly)

Can I still get all of the 3*s and 4*s from vaults?
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's live, 4 stars have been vaulted in legendary tokens too
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Also, anyone complaining itll be impossible for new players to get a peggy or imhb or whoever covered from scratch clearly doesnt look at pack odds. Before it was 1 in 20 (5%) for a 4* for heroic, then 1 in 45 (# of 4* characters) for a specific one. Thats 1 in every 900 heroic pulls. This new system is 5%*5%, or 1 in 400 for a bonus. As long as you only pick one or two, your odds go up. Pick more than 2 in any tier, they go down for vaunted heroes. 3* were 1 in 168 before, can be 1 in 80 now, so again, just pick one at a time if theyre vaulted. 5s, like I said, look like an increase of 0.75% for the entire tier. Pick one and its 0.75 for that one. Pick 3 and its 0.25% for each.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm thinking this over

Bonus heroes sounds like a great idea

Limiting the characters I can get far balances that out with stupid and has me seriously thinking about calling it quits. Certainly not going to spend any more money.
  • Varg138
    Varg138 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    So, wait, heroic tokens just won't have, for instance, Hulkbuster in them? Like, at all? If I'm reading that correctly, that's incredibly stupid.

This.

Why, when adding a new feature (which, granted, is just a 5% "bonus"), must you take something away??? What possible reason is there for only having the latest 3 and 4 star characters in these packs? Now you're stifling progress for players' older characters. Ugh
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Apologies, as there was a bit of confusion on our end. Here is what that one line regarding Classic and Latest Legends meant:
    Latest Legends packs will continue to have the latest three released 5-Stars and Classic Legendary packs will have all 5-Stars except that last three that have been released
    I have updated the original post to reflect this.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So, does it work for Elite and Heroic tokens?
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    D3 may have just killed MPQ icon_e_sad.gif

"Classic Legendary Stores contain all but the three latest 5-Stars and cost 20 Command Points per draw." - how are newer player supposed to get the older 5*s?

Then, the real mistake, they limit the available 4*s!! Who thought this was a good idea? How are players supposed to get 4* covers for older champions? Not all of us can finish in the top 10 of slices to get rewards.

D3 is lucky I just renewed my VIP, sadly it will probably be the last time I do. I'll give them till then to convince me to stay. If not, this is the update that killed MPQ for me.
  • Jorit
    Jorit Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Does work for Elite as just got a bonus off one of them for a 3 star.

As a note that people may not have thought about yet this is also an ISO buff as you will get more covers for champion levels which generate ISO and other stuff.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    cozmo1682 wrote:
    It just posted and it looks like you can favorite an unlimted amount of heroes? Am I seeing this right?

If thats the case, you could just favorite just about anyone you're lacking and any of your champs and be fine?

If you favorite EVERYONE, then the bonus cover you get can come from a pool of any of those heroes. If you favorite only 1, the bonus cover is going to be only from that hero. It's a way to target a specific hero (or heroes) and level them up faster.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So if and/or when I pull a bonus hero card is there a designated color to this card or do we actually get to choose which color we want? If it's colorless that would be great. An actual way of getting that last card for a Champ would be great no matter how slim the chances actually are.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    veny wrote:
    So, does it work for Elite and Heroic tokens?

As written it applies to any token pull that gives you a 3*, 4* or 5* cover, except if you were pulling from a vault. So if you get a 3* from a standard token, there's a 5% chance for one of your bonus 3* characters to show up too.