New Feature: Bonus Heroes! *Updated (3/1/17)

Comments

• IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not posting as a moderator.

I've always been one to defend Demiurge on here. Until today...

Now, I'm willing to wait another week or so before any final decisions, but I'm not holding my breath. This new feature, Bonus Heroes, might be okay for some, but for players like me, NO. Not okay. I have some of the worst, god awful luck with pull rates. I cashed in about one hundred tokens, 100!!, and all I got was one BH. A 3* Thanos. Cashed in 50 heroic, 21 elites and 25 legendary, (which only contained one 5*).

I know some players have some really good luck with RNG, other have decent luck and some just have okay luck. But there are SOOO many, myself included, that have **** RNG luck. I've never had decent luck with pulls. And now, with most characters vaulted, the only way I can get covers for older characters is through RNG based on the RNG of pull luck, of which I have none. How is this a good thing?

And, in rare, (very rare), cases where I actually get a Bonus Hero, I will have to choose between champing an older character or leveling a newer one. If I pick characters I need covers for, then I won't be getting champ levels anymore. **** ?

So now, the only way for the unlucky players like me to get covers is from events. Which means that I'll need to finish t10 in every single event just to get 1 - 3 covers every other month for a single character. Unless of course the whole point of this is to get players to spend a ton of money to get cp so they can buy covers.

From what I've seen so far, BH's flat out stinks. Progression is now based on a multi level RNG. A 5% chance for a cover, that IF you get it, you have a 5% chance for a bonus. Then, there's only a one in three chance it will be the color you want/need.

RNGsus hates me. Always has. And now, my progression will be up to him. You know what that means for me? It means that Bonus Heroes has killed my progression. And I don't know about everyone else, but me, I have absolutely zero interest in playing a game where I do not progress.

Like I said, I'll give it a little more time before making a final decision, but unless my pull rates improve dramatically, (or at least get up to percentages shown), or they introduce some kind of streak breaker and colorless covers, I don't see much hope for the future.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    We wont really know how this change will work until a few weeks down the line, but if they have plans to rotate the charcters in packs every few weeks, I think its a great system. Any characters I particularly want covers for who aren't in this rotation (Iceman), I've added to my bonus list. The point to the bonus list is to add characters you really, really want. You'd think most would just add the ones who are best on their roster. Clearly, if you add everyone, you aren't changing your chances much from the previous system. Its about being selective now, so select the best guys that are going to help your roster needs the most right now.

There is no plan to rotate the characters, all that's planned is vaulting older 4*'s when new 4*'s are added.

Add them to your bonus list? If you open 20 LT's, there's a chance you might get that vaulted character, maybe. Do you realize how long it will take to cover an older 4*?

Lets not even bother with Heroic tokens... 7% chance of a 4*, then 5% of a bonus... yikes.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    People just love to complain. icon_lol.gif

Before, packs were becoming too diluted so they could never draw the character they wanted. Now, with packs watered down, people complain that they cant get a specific character. How do they win?

We wont really know how this change will work until a few weeks down the line, but if they have plans to rotate the charcters in packs every few weeks, I think its a great system. Any characters I particularly want covers for who aren't in this rotation (Iceman), I've added to my bonus list. The point to the bonus list is to add characters you really, really want. You'd think most would just add the ones who are best on their roster. Clearly, if you add everyone, you aren't changing your chances much from the previous system. Its about being selective now, so select the best guys that are going to help your roster needs the most right now.

Except the one place where the OVERWHELMING amount of complaints came from, dilution of 5*'s in classic draws, is COMPLETELY UNCHANGED. icon_evil.gif

So, complaints are warranted.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Isn't it a little worse even than that? From Brigby's original post:
    Brigby wrote:
    What is the Chance to Get a Bonus Hero?
    Each single cover pack has a 5% chance to get a Bonus Hero. Each draw from a 10x and 40x cover pack has a 8% chance to get Bonus Hero. Every time you pull a 3-Star from a Standard Pack you will get an additional 3-Star Bonus Hero.

What Characters Will I Get When I Get a Bonus Hero?
    You can get 3-Star, 4-Star, and 5-Star characters from Bonus Heroes. Whenever you draw a Bonus Hero, you will get one of the characters you chose as your favorite character in that rarity. For example, if you draw a 4-Star character and get a Bonus Hero, you will receive one of your favorite 4-Star characters.

As I read these two in combination, if I open a single heroic token, and I get a 2*, I have a 0% chance of a bonus hero. The 5% applies only when I get a 3* or 4*.

This appears to be correct. Since the vast majority of Heroic results will be 2* characters and there are no 2* bonus heroes, the actual chance of a bonus hero from any single Heroic token is approximately 1.5%. [This turned out to be wrong.]

The only token type that has no results which are ineligible for bonus heroes are Legendary Tokens. Therefore, Legendary Tokens are the only tokens that will show the advertised 5% rate on bonus heroes. [This too. Standards are the only Bonus-Hero-eligible one that currently has a rate lower than 5%.]

Edit to add: it has since been stated that bonus hero drop rates are actually 17% on 3* and 4* drops in Heroics, in order to achieve an overall 5% rate there. So my reaction here is a bit overstated. Mea culpa, etc. etc., vaulting covers is still a player-hating disaster.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    Lukoil wrote:
    broll wrote:
    Lukoil wrote:
    But you can make them available just by selecting all of them as favorites

So instead of RNG they are now an RNG to an RNG to an RNG. I'm thrilled. icon_rolleyes.gif
    If you don't care what you get from token, then RNG is not the problem here. If you care - now you have controlled RNG and can select specific characters and have 5% to pull them off from tokens.

No you don't. You have a % chance to pull the tier that varies by pack and tier. The you have 5% on that. Then if you have let's say 10 4*s favorited that's a 10% chance on that so like less than a percentage point of controlled RNG. I'm thrilled....[/quote]

You can still earn 4* covers easily in game via progression and placement prizes so the panic is a tad misplaced. Sounds a bit as though you wanted better odds of new characters whilst simultaneously having better odds of old characters too.

Can't have everything my friend and we were all asking for the token pool to stop being diluted and to able to focus the odds both of which they have done.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    No you don't. You have a % chance to pull the tier that varies by pack and tier. The you have 5% on that. Then if you have let's say 10 4*s favorited that's a 10% chance on that so like less than a percentage point of controlled RNG. I'm thrilled....

Well definitely don't have 10 favourites per tier. Have 1. Get them where you want and then pick another.

But yeah, it's not a large chance. It IS more than before (as long as you have 1 favourite. Possibly 2) but it's offset by the loss of "choice" in what you'll get from your regular pulls, which (for 4*s) will be the 12 newest. The increased ability to farm 3*s (from standard tokens, strangely enough) MIGHT make up for that for the 4*s lucky enough to have 3* feeders. Which is probably everyone not in the new 12 camp as well as some of those.
  • IamTheDanger
    commandpointsbig.pngLet's keep it civil please. I know that a lot of people are unhappy with this feature, myself included, but we all need to remember to play nice.
    Thank you.
    commandpointsbig.png
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Demi giveth and Demi taketh away.

This has really vindicated my decision to save CP and finish the characters I want by buying their covers. Sick to death of RNG, and a 5% chance to pull a favourite really doesn't appeal as a long term strategy to round off the older unfinished 4*s I have languishing in roster. Especially as it'll mean they'll still be playing catch-up to the likes of Riri, who I have no doubt I'll cover max first in the new system because she's the character I least want.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards

The only token type that has no results which are ineligible for bonus heroes are Legendary Tokens. Therefore, Legendary Tokens are the only tokens that will show the advertised 5% rate on bonus heroes.
    Which is why we need a 3 star.png or better token
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl wrote:

There is no plan to rotate the characters, all that's planned is vaulting older 4*'s when new 4*'s are added.

Add them to your bonus list? If you open 20 LT's, there's a chance you might get that vaulted character, maybe. Do you realize how long it will take to cover an older 4*?

Lets not even bother with Heroic tokens... 7% chance of a 4*, then 5% of a bonus... yikes.

The pretty much said people are loving hoarding up tokens to get 5*s from latest. Let's everyone enjoy that fun experience of your only option is to rush to get the latest flavors weather they are good or not.

The devs are so out of touch it's not funny.
  • ngoni
    ngoni Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Great feature utterly ruined by Extreme Vaulting. Did Trump design this feature? /s
  • People just love to complain. icon_lol.gif

Before, packs were becoming too diluted so they could never draw the character they wanted. Now, with packs watered down, people complain that they cant get a specific character. How do they win?

Problem is players ONLY have a 5% chance at the BONUS character.

Simple solution was brought up, earlier in this thread, to put the (34) older 4 stars into CLASSIC Legendarys, and the new (12) into the LATEST Legendarys. This would allow someone like me, who has been busting my **** trying to build up my 4 star roster, a better opportunity to focus on some of the older characters that I enjoy playing.

If someone prefers the newer characters, it would give them a great opportunity to focus and build the new characters up.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    People just love to complain. icon_lol.gif

Problem is players ONLY have a 5% chance at the BONUS character.

Simple solution was brought up, earlier in this thread, to put the (34) older 4 stars into CLASSIC Legendarys, and the new (12) into the LATEST Legendarys. This would allow someone like me, who has been busting my **** trying to build up my 4 star roster, a better opportunity to focus on some of the older characters that I enjoy playing.

If someone prefers the newer characters, it would give them a great opportunity to focus and build the new characters up.

I think that's the real problem here. The feature is intended (I can only imagine) to increase the effect of player choice on the RNG nature of the rewards (previously the only choice you had was which tokens to buy and when to open them), but ultimately ends up reducing it.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    DayvBang wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Isn't it a little worse even than that? From Brigby's original post:
    Brigby wrote:
    What is the Chance to Get a Bonus Hero?
    Each single cover pack has a 5% chance to get a Bonus Hero. Each draw from a 10x and 40x cover pack has a 8% chance to get Bonus Hero. Every time you pull a 3-Star from a Standard Pack you will get an additional 3-Star Bonus Hero.

What Characters Will I Get When I Get a Bonus Hero?
    You can get 3-Star, 4-Star, and 5-Star characters from Bonus Heroes. Whenever you draw a Bonus Hero, you will get one of the characters you chose as your favorite character in that rarity. For example, if you draw a 4-Star character and get a Bonus Hero, you will receive one of your favorite 4-Star characters.

As I read these two in combination, if I open a single heroic token, and I get a 2*, I have a 0% chance of a bonus hero. The 5% applies only when I get a 3* or 4*.

This appears to be correct. Since the vast majority of Heroic results will be 2* characters and there are no 2* bonus heroes, the actual chance of a bonus hero from any single Heroic token is approximately 1.5%.

The only token type that has no results which are ineligible for bonus heroes are Legendary Tokens. Therefore, Legendary Tokens are the only tokens that will show the advertised 5% rate on bonus heroes.

Thank you!

#BonusBamboozle2017
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I doubt anyone will read this because this thread is already super long, but here it goes.....

Pros:
    You get extra covers for free at a 5% rate
    Increased odds in heroic packs to get 4* covers
    It's much easier to fully cover new characters
    There's much less waste when pulling Legendary tokens
    It's easier for newer players to get the best 3*s
    It's easier to champ a specific 3* or 4* by setting them as your only favorite in that tier

Cons:
    It's harder to fully cover older characters, but you can favorite them until they are fully covered
    Older 4* champs will rarely get new champ levels, unless you favorite them, but that would be unwise
    3* Champs not in the selected set will rarely get new champ levels, unless you favorite them
    It will be very hard for newer players to roster all characters, which are required for PVE and PVP events

Neutral:
    No real change to getting 5* covers
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    TimGunn wrote:
    Maybe consider doing that if everyone is butt hurt about it.

This is better. I had a 5/1/5 Iceman for a long time. I emptied a taco vault to make him 5/2/5 and then managed to pull the final blue from a classics (it felt like a true miracle). Bet I would have got him earlier if I had the bonus buddy feature.

Inaccurate. You would not have had him done, because you would not have gotten him from classics. So you would have had to wait until that magic 5% chance to get him as a bonus, plus the 33% chance that it was the right color.

TWICE!

On top of that, you neglected to mention how many taco tokens you had to hoard in order to get that one color that came up. RNG, on top of RNG, on top of RNG ad infinitum.

Unhappy people doesn't equal butthurt. Everyone in this thread could us all a favor and keep the hyperbole low, and the criticism constructive.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Previously, on MPQ forums:

"Aaaanother new character releasee???!!?!11!? pffft, sure, I'll enjoy playing with that character in 2020 or so when I finally cover it!"

Devs: Fine, here's a feature that ensures you'll cover new characters more quickly. Also, we'll be throwing in a free cover of your choice every 20 or so you open of a given tier!

Today...

"NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!111!!! what about champed levels for our old characteeeers, you evil, stupid devs!?"

Mordacity aside, all comparisons I'm seeing to the old "vaulting" are categorically erroneous due to two new features added ever since: champing and bonus heroes. The problem with vaulting was that if you had already max covered the characters available, while the ones you needed were in the "vault", you were basically screwed as you kept drawing covers that you didn't need and couldn't use, while your uncovered characters languished for several seasons. Now, if you already have max-covered the characters available for drawing, you can use the extra covers for champ levels and in the meantime you can get the "vaulted" characters of your choice at better odds than could be found under the previous system. I emphasise the choice aspect of it, because in the past, for every "lucky" draw of Iceman or one of the other staple characters, you drew lots of Mr Fs and V4nom and the such. Such waste of a draw won't happen ever again.
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    bbigler wrote:
    I doubt anyone will read this because this thread is already super long, but here it goes.....

Pros:
    You get extra covers for free at a 5% rate
    Increased odds in heroic packs to get 4* covers
    It's much easier to fully cover new characters
    There's much less waste when pulling Legendary tokens
    It's easier for newer players to get the best 3*s
    It's easier to champ a specific 3* or 4* by setting them as your only favorite in that tier

Cons:
    It's harder to fully cover older characters, but you can favorite them until they are fully covered
    Older 4* champs will rarely get new champ levels, unless you favorite them, but that would be unwise
    3* Champs not in the selected set will rarely get new champ levels, unless you favorite them
    It will be very hard for newer players to roster all characters, which are required for PVE and PVP events

Neutral:
    No real change to getting 5* covers

Great summary. Honestly with a couple tweaks, primarily centred around the 3* and 4* 'vaulting', this could be a vast improvement. Hopefully the devs are listening in.

Or, I suppose we should be posting our suggestions along with our complaints????? just a thought. icon_e_smile.gif
  • IamTheDanger
    I've got it! The perfect solution!

Long ago, when a new character was released, I had a method to acquire them. I'd finish top 2, and then use Hp to buy covers to get them up to 3/3/3. Then I would play with them a while and see how they worked before deciding on a final build. Before champions became a thing, and before cp, literally half of my roster was bought with Hp.

Fast forward to today's fiasco, otherwise known as the unfortunate new feature... Bonus Heroes. Seems to me, a simple fix would be to make covers available from spending Hp again. They could even do both, make it where you can use Hp or Cp to buys covers.

Problem Solved !
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

The devs are out of touch with their community and relying on analytics too much.

They think people like hoarding LT's because they only want the latest heroes. This is incorrect. People (like me) are hoarding LT's because the odds of finishing a classic 5* are so low because of the diluted pool, that the ONLY viable solution for champing a 5* is to save 260 pulls for the 3 5*s in LT's.

The ENTIRE premise of vaulting old 4*'s is based on the above assumption, which is a false assumption.

Brigby, if we ever needed you to be a hero, now is that time.