Oscorp: Heroic Update (1/13/17)

12345679»

Comments

• mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Have to say I'm not a big fan. Heroics sucked before more because they were fighting the same dark avengers over and over and over, and less because of the restricted roster. I actually enjoyed trying to find good teams with the reduced options, especially with extra boosted characters and the "reinforcements" for each sub. Eliminating the roster restriction takes away the fun part of the event and just leaves a bunch of overscaled DA like so many other events.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Tatercat wrote:
    I didn’t whale my way to a champed 2* & 3* roster and made room for every 4* from Logan’s Loonies. I spent 1181 days of playing the game to get there. The "majority" didn't, so why cater to them in the one event that's meant to be more challenging?
    The one event? 1181 days and you've never seen the Gauntlet? Or any boss event, ever? Or participated in PVP...at all, apparently?

Just to clear up your point on this as I’ve played every Gauntlet and the boss fights (not always been able to complete them), and I wrote about my PVP experience as already in that same post. Are you saying that Heroics are not the only event that rewards the higher roster veteran players? If so….. fair point. Very fair point. What I should have focused on was the difference of the Heroics, rewarding diverse, wide rosters, not necessarily veteran ones.

[
    Tatercat wrote:
    There’s a weird feeling of entitlement I get from this board sometimes, where everyone thinks they should get the top prizes (And progression rewards counts here) simply for showing up and logging in each day, in EVERY EVENT.

That's called projection. The problem is actually with you.

Er…. you, ah, mmmmmmaaaaaaaaayyyybbbbee on to something there. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Done a lot of customer service of the years, and there’s a lot of entitled people in the world who’s default solution to everything is whining, to get something disportionate to what is needed. (Can’t imagine why the forum reminded me of that. icon_e_biggrin.gif ) Bitter to admit, but very like true on that too.

[ Most people think they should be able to *participate* in events - not be effectively locked out of them. And FYI, anyone with a lesser roster is working HARDER (way more time for clears) than you (noob brackets excluded, of course) for lesser rewards (progression is almost impossible to achieve with limited rosters, and placement is utterly out of reach as a result).

This I have to disagree with, as it disregards the work done before the Heroic to be good at them. I saw I was doing badly in Heroics, so I broadened my roster, at all levels as I could, so I could do better. Didn’t buy the daily deals on token, just saved for Roster Spots. Work and patience, to make it easier on future run throughs of that event type. To use a sports example, if I entered a foot race with Usain Bolt, he’s going to have a much easier time in that particular race, beating me handily, while I’m working insanely harder than him (to not have a heart attack) just to finish it way behind him. He trained before hand, got the tools he needed, to make it that way.
    Tatercat wrote:
    You don’t get a title belt just for stepping in a MMA cage (just ask CM Punk). You don’t get a race marathon trophy when you quit halfway or because you weren’t in shape to finish it.
    Total strawman. People want to participate, not get trophies just for showing up.
    Gotta disagree here too. Obviously, everyone can participate, but one of the chiefs complaints in every Heroic thread is “How I am supposed to hit Top Progression?” THAT Is a trophy, but they’ve already made that easier by breaking up the CP so that even if you make it a 3rd of the way into Heroic, you’re able to get that CP, or any of the other rewards up to that level, which do help to broaden your roster.
    Would you stop with the strawman argument? It's not about top end rewards - it's about being able to participate at all. If you only *have* 3 or 4 of the unlocked characters, and they have no synergy, you will wipe repeatedly. You will run out of health packs in no time.

I’ll concede your point on top end rewards and that what I’ve seen repeatedly is just the vocal minority on the forums. (Like the Gambit lovers!:D) But they CAN participate. They’re just not going to get what they’re used to getting for the same effort. Thus the challenge of Heroics. Synergy is a obstacle of this event type that doesn’t really go away as you progress in the game. It’s still a challenge when you do have the required characters but they’re all only good at the same two colors. And I still run out of Health packs on Heroics, that not just a beginner problem.
    All the time. All the time. All. The. Time. And new players get effectively locked out of their *only* mode of play every time it happens.

Again, they’re not really locked out, but yeah, they DO run the Heroics all the time. I think’s that maybe just because its easier on the devs to slot in a pre-made 3-4 days when they have a hole in the schedule, and they’re leaning on it too much. If they ran them half as much each month, it would probably clear out half the argument on the forums AND make the Heroics feel more like a special event for those that like them.

Thanks for responding, some really good points in there.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for being gracious in you response, Tatercat. I could have been a bit more diplomatic in my post, so you taking it as calmly and rationally as you did is appreciated.

icon_e_biggrin.gif

P. S. Is the strawman sig brand new, or did I just not notice it before?
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Thanks for being gracious in you response, Tatercat. I could have been a bit more diplomatic in my post, so you taking it as calmly and rationally as you did is appreciated.

icon_e_biggrin.gif

P. S. Is the strawman sig brand new, or did I just not notice it before?

Absolutely new, I couldn't resist. icon_lol.gif I could have been more diplomatic in my original post too. (and instead make terrible, unfunny jokes like I normally do).
  • rc35
    rc35 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    I'm a 3-star player with lots of (3-star) champs, and this event was very similar to the usual non-Heroic events for me. Like many others have said, I like the challenge of the usual Heroics (especially making a team out of limited choices).
    And I do remember disliking Heroics in my first 6 months of play, as many others have also said: having a limited roster even further limited was no fun.
    TL;DR: For me, now, I prefer the limited-character Heroic style.