Oscorp: Heroic Update (1/13/17)

LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone -

The next run of Oscorp: Heroic that starts on Monday, January 16th will run without any character restrictions. This means that players will be able to use whatever team they would like to use.

We don't know if all Heroics will run this way going forward but for this run, we hope everyone enjoys it. Please give it a play and let us know if you have any feedback on it.

Have a nice weekend!

Comments

• madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Well there goes Heroics not sucking as bad due to scaling not being totally trashed.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2017
    So there is zero distinction between heroics and any other event now? I liked having to be creative with teams and trying combos I might not otherwise. Not a fan of this at first glance.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    madok wrote:
    Well there goes Heroics not sucking as bad due to scaling not being totally trashed.

Exactly. I liked Heroics because I could use my 4*s and have enemies 100 levels lower than usual. Now it's just another PvE. Also not a fan of this change.

Of course this change is for the new players that don't have everyone rostered and not for 5* players.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Kinda of defeats the point of a Heroic for me, but we'll see how it goes.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    LakeStone wrote:
    Hi Everyone -

The next run of Oscorp: Heroic that starts on Monday, January 16th will run without any character restrictions. This means that players will be able to use whatever team they would like to use.

We don't know if all Heroics will run this way going forward but for this run, we hope everyone enjoys it. Please give it a play and let us know if you have any feedback on it.

Have a nice weekend!

This is the absolute WORST PVE related idea you guys ever had. It has the exact opposite effect for every 5star tier player.

We love Heroics because it means we can finally use some other characters from our giant rosters! Now you are taking away the only event where this was possible.

This PROVES you still don't do ANY testing with your high end players in mind.

Please reconsider as we really really don't want this at all.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I find this might be interesting, I also don't have any 5*'s leveled above my 4* champs, so I sympathize with those haunted by the game's broken scaling.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Like others have said, I'm not a fan of this decision. I like heroics because they allow me to use my well-developed 4* roster that normally is forced to sit the bench because even they can't cut it with my 5* scaling.

We used to complain about Heroics because the available characters were so few. However, in recent months you've added things like sub reinforcements and expanded weekly buffed characters that have really improved the situation. Now it's not too hard to find a team or two of characters that work well together.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    If this was one year ago I might have been happy, but I love heroics now that I developed my roster. Just a terrible idea. Good job giving in to the "I need my hand held for everything" crowd.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Another vote against for me as well - terrible decision as far as this 5* roster player is concerned - there is now nowhere at all to use my 4*, 3* and 2* characters other than when required because scaling is beyond broken.

Way to find one small pocket of joy in MPQ and eradicate it.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    To the extent that this was intended to make heroics playable for newer players, I understand the motivation.

If that's what you're trying to accomplish, making all 2* and under characters available would be a nice balance.

Maybe even 3* and under, if you must. Letting all the 3* characters in would mean IM40 would probably come out to play every heroic, but at least there would be variety in who he feeds AP to.
  • a non-heroic heroic. interesting. icon_e_confused.gif

well see how it goes. at least its a 3 day event, those are always preferred.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems the only ones complaining are five-star players. Further motivation, for me, not to worry about making that transition. I'm thinking the game is a lot more fun down here in three & four-star land.
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    I've felt heroics were generally fairer since everyone is limited to the same characters.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Would't it be better to keep all the roster restriction for Heroics while devising a SECOND set of scaling algorhythm for them which is LOWER than the regular one?

Heroics force us to use less than stellar combos. That is fine to shake out fatigue of having to use Strange or IM40 in so many fights. If you want to make it easier for new players, just lower the scaling.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a solution that could make everyone happy:

-Remove the character restrictions so everyone can participate, making them friendlier to new players.
    -Add considerable bonuses to playing with a certain set of characters. i.e. "You aren't required to play with these ~5-10 characters, but if you use teams comprised of these members you get double ISO, better progression rewards, and better placement rewards."

I suppose this would require some sort of gating for the event though, in which you make your decision from the start. If that is too difficult to implement or creates problematic player pool sizes per SCL, the simpler option would be to implement bonuses based on the pre-met conditions going into the match (similar to how PvP offers +ISO bonuses for not skipping.) This can certainly be done with ISO, but I imagine doing it to add tokens or covers wouldn't be too much of a programming stretch?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you for taking away the last bit of joy us 5* players had in PVE.

Please play a couple of PVEs with a 5* roster, see how you feel about scaling.

Then fix it.
  • Pope Belligerent
    Pope Belligerent Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Lots of hate from the 5* crowd, and I understand that completely, but as someone just finishing up 3* land I can say that this means I will actually be able to play effectively in a Heroic for once. I only have a handful of 4*s and they're mostly woefully undercovered, so Heroics were always about putting together completely ineffectual teams to barely scrape by.

That said, being forced out of my comfort zone was good and led to discovering synergies I never thought of before. There has to be some sort of compromise, right?
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    I'm just starting to champ 3*s but I'm not particularly excited about this either. I like the way they were and thought that being able to play Ares against Ares for example was a good way to help players out without totally trashing the point of an Heroic. Plus I could play PVP without worrying about trashing characters I need for PVP icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    mega ghost wrote:
    I have a solution that could make everyone happy:

-Remove the character restrictions so everyone can participate, making them friendlier to new players.
    -Add considerable bonuses to playing with a certain set of characters. i.e. "You aren't required to play with these ~5-10 characters, but if you use teams comprised of these members you get double ISO, better progression rewards, and better placement rewards."

I suppose this would require some sort of gating for the event though, in which you make your decision from the start. If that is too difficult to implement or creates problematic player pool sizes per SCL, the simpler option would be to implement bonuses based on the pre-met conditions going into the match (similar to how PvP offers +ISO bonuses for not skipping.) This can certainly be done with ISO, but I imagine doing it to add tokens or covers wouldn't be too much of a programming stretch?
    I literally just discovered this week that Heroic events are fun for me now. As a 3* or 4* player I hated them, but now that I'm thoroughly in 5* territory I gave it a whirl and really enjoyed playing with some well-designed but dusty parts of my roster.

I like the idea of making the limited roster more optional, but instead of tracking whether you adhere to the limit, why not run the same event in two modes? Opt in to the limited roster with somewhat better rewards, or take the default version with total roster choice. But, and this is important, they need separate leaderboards and people should only be able to play one, not both. When they join one, the other version should disappear. Edit: I just noticed you suggested this in the second half of your post. Too quick on the trigger.]