New Limited Character Vaults

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Straycat wrote:
    Did they drop a hint "built to take a beating while also packing quite the punch" Who is that supposed to be? Thing? Ghost Rider?
    Thing for sure.
    I was thinking Hulkbuster with his red power.

Please RNGesus no! I'm a transition 4* player with 0 champed 4* and I only have 5 covers I cannot use:
    Ant Man yellowflag.png
    Cyclops yellowflag.png
    Nick Fury blueflag.png
    Iron man redflag.png
    Nova redflag.png

I'll be so pissed if I have to miss out on the lottery ticket twice in a row on actually good characters.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Easy - 50 HP I will do everyday. With the HP flow recently and limited PvP play I gain more daily. 3600 for a specific cover - well, yes, but there is only one in the game I would do it for (and it's not Peggy Yellow, but it's Peggy icon_e_wink.gif. 400 for one pull - never ever. But they are getting to the middle ground I think with each test.

50 HP daily deal, 200 for one time pull after that, 1800 for 10 pack and 3500 (or better 3400) for 20 Pack. And the vault can be 21 items. Adding Elite tokens is a good idea as well as RNGesus can smile there as well. Simple, elegant, players happy, HP stream directed. Daily rotation is also good - could increase impulse buyers and will allow the more reserved ones to aim at specific characters.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Keep in mind that they're testing out different vault prices and packs, so don't assume it will be like this forever. I think the bottom line for the next 6 days is that if you really want that 4* cover then you'll spend the HP to get it, otherwise it's not a good deal. I think most of us have excess HP so this gives us something to spend it on.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they put a RHulk green in I will give them the 3600 HP icon_e_biggrin.gif Yet another purple dieing on the vine. Everytime I get to 120 CP I'm tempted to buy it, resist open the tokens and wish I had. I just opened a red Nova too making this seem more appealing but I will promise myself I will only buy from these vaults if it's the 13th cover I need!
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    My 0/5/5 Nova has been crying in the corner, throwing black covers in the trash for probably half a year now, so I was pretty excited to see that elusive red in the vault.

3600 hp doesn't seem too far off the mark for a guaranteed 4*. Sure, its 1.5x as much as buying a cover used to cost, but hp comes in WAY faster these days. Of course, there's only a few characters I'd spend that on, but there's only a few characters I'd spend 120 cp for a cover on now, and only a few characters I'd spend 2500 hp on back in the day. Red nova was one of them, so I bought the vault.

The 400 hp for a single pull seems completely off the mark though, I can't imagine why anyone would ever do that. In prior iterations of the vault, I had a similar reaction to the multi-packs. They seemed like such a small discount, I couldn't imagine why anyone would go for them over the likely greater to much greater discount you'd get doing single pulls. Clearly that's how it played out, so they took away single pulls and then put them back at an outrageous price point. Seems like they just need to find a price point somewhere in between, where the multi-packs are a nice enough discount to be worth it, but the single pulls are still feasible if you're feeling lucky. Assuming 3600 stays as the cost of the full vault, 250 for a single pull seems about right?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    And it's The Thing tomorrow? A red or yellow would give me 13, so I might be tempted.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    Love the rationalization of 3600 for a single four star, "its still good deal if I need it, cause inflation" the mind is a wonderful thing. icon_lol.gif

Buy away if needed, of course as there is nothing wrong with that, but at least admit that you're overpaying to get it. Over paying is some comic book fans do on a regular basis.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I understand this implementation, but I don't like it because it takes away most of the gameplay that makes vaults fun. Vaults are good design because it rewards players for going one at a time to maximize your odds, and that lets you roll the dice a bunch of times, which is fun. This implementation is better than the last one, which actively took that ability away, but still actively discourages it, when it was the best thing about vaults, and the most fun.
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    smkspy wrote:
    Love the rationalization of 3600 for a single four star, "its still good deal if I need it, cause inflation"

Unless you were responding to someone else, I never said it was a good deal, but I do think its a reasonable price. Hp is way easier to come by these days, the inflation is real. You used to be able to get a Coke for a nickel too, but $1 from the soda machine today is reasonable, cause inflation.

Would I prefer a great deal? Damn straight I would. Would a great deal make me more likely to buy into vaults that weren't covers I'm especially eager for? Definitely. Does this price seem out-of-line for what it is in relation to my roster? Nope.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Replace all the 2*s with 3*s and these vaults would be an amazing holiday gift for most of the player base. Almost everyone would get something more or less usable, instead of just another level in their 2* champ farm.

The devs have done a lot to make 3*s more obtainable (Elite Tokens being the latest), but they need to continue doing this, especially now that 4*s outnumber them.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    its 3650 for guaranteed 4* and then a load of lower rarity covers, which equates to a chunk of ISO worst case (Not saying it is GOOD value, but it is more than just the 4*)

12 2* covers is a chunk of XP and 3,000 ISO worst case... maybe even some HP or even CP

3 elite tokens are at least 3 more 2* or potentially 3 x3*
    3500 ISO guaranteed
    3 x 3* covers which is again 1500 ISO.

So you are looking at worst case: the target 4* which is either of interest and worth 2500 HP in old money or not, and then 7,750 ISO... but those champion levels could get you all kinds of goodies icon_e_smile.gif

ultimately, if I want the cover, its a decent buy... if you don't then you ain't buying it anyway. icon_e_smile.gif

Effectively, that extra 1,150 ISO is getting you a reasonable approximation of 20 Heroic Tokens... (maybe slightly more ISO value) which is basically under half the price of the daily deal on the 10pack... and a tenth of the price of the daily deal on the 40 pack (although that does get you both reasonable 4* chances and a legendary token)

That's not bad value in the current economy (Note I am NOT saying the current economy is good value, just that in comparison to other prices it is not actually that bad)

The 400 a pull however seems to solely be there to catch the chancers... and to make the bundle more appealing icon_e_smile.gif
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arguably, the Hero Point inflation is slightly better than people are making it out to be. The old 2500 HP price point required you to have one of that specific color cover installed first, while this route does not.

The daily deal for this week has gotten me to start buying these tokens on the lottery approach... as long as the 4* cover is one I could use. Compared to a story event vault, pulling from the character vaults twice is the same price if you time it right, and almost double the odds of pulling a 4* for my purchase. The only difference is the character vault has a limited scope on which 4* cover it is and loses the small chance at a Legendary Token (which for me, is a pretty good shot at a useful 4* cover or 5*, but still a notable chance of a duplicate or non-championed character).
  • MrCroaker64
    MrCroaker64 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    wymtime wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Straycat wrote:
    Did they drop a hint "built to take a beating while also packing quite the punch" Who is that supposed to be? Thing? Ghost Rider?
    Thing for sure.

My first thought was the 4* Luke Cage.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meh, don't care. 4*'s should be dropped as often as 3*'s now, the relevance of the game is in 5* only and individual 4*'s don't get you there very often. May pay 50hp/vault...may just completely ignore them.

Saw Babrino state the truth on Line: if you do/don't like it, don't vote with your thumbs/voices here - vote with your wallets.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gmax101 wrote:
    its 3650 for guaranteed 4* and then a load of lower rarity covers, which equates to a chunk of ISO worst case (Not saying it is GOOD value, but it is more than just the 4*)

12 2* covers is a chunk of XP and 3,000 ISO worst case... maybe even some HP or even CP

3 elite tokens are at least 3 more 2* or potentially 3 x3*
    3500 ISO guaranteed
    3 x 3* covers which is again 1500 ISO.

So you are looking at worst case: the target 4* which is either of interest and worth 2500 HP in old money or not, and then 7,750 ISO... but those champion levels could get you all kinds of goodies icon_e_smile.gif

ultimately, if I want the cover, its a decent buy... if you don't then you ain't buying it anyway. icon_e_smile.gif

Effectively, that extra 1,150 ISO is getting you a reasonable approximation of 20 Heroic Tokens... (maybe slightly more ISO value) which is basically under half the price of the daily deal on the 10pack... and a tenth of the price of the daily deal on the 40 pack (although that does get you both reasonable 4* chances and a legendary token)

That's not bad value in the current economy (Note I am NOT saying the current economy is good value, just that in comparison to other prices it is not actually that bad)

The 400 a pull however seems to solely be there to catch the chancers... and to make the bundle more appealing icon_e_smile.gif

This, exactly. It is not a bad deal at all, particularly compared to how it used to be, and the fact that there is quite literally no way to directly spend HP on 4* covers any more. The 400 a pull is to entice you to save 4400 HP and just go for the bundle. Bear in mind that the price of the 20 pack is pretty much exactly the same as a taco vault (tacos are 1800 HP for a 10 pack,) and will get you everything in the vault, rather than a sizable fraction.

Speaking for myself, my HP income is good enough that I can afford one or two of these with no real problems, and I probably will grab them if the cover is useful.

Also bear in mind that this is something that wasn't in the game before - it's all an addition. If it's a bad deal, it doesn't take away anything from the game, and if it's a reasonable deal, it's a plus.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    That first 50HP pull is a great deal considering how much HP we get in any given day now. So that, I'll do each day.

Maybe the plan is that each day, the deal after that gets better leading to a mega cheap vault at the end?

I plan on doing that one 50 HP token each day, and today it got me the Nova cover! So far I'm liking this better than the Agent Venom "no singles" option.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Straycat wrote:
    Thing for sure.

Please RNGesus no! I'm a transition 4* player with 0 champed 4* and I only have 5 covers I cannot use:
    Ant Man yellowflag.png
    Cyclops yellowflag.png
    Nick Fury blueflag.png
    Iron man redflag.png
    Nova redflag.png

I'll be so pissed if I have to miss out on the lottery ticket twice in a row on actually good characters.
    I think it will be HB he is built and his power is repulser Punch. The cover might not be red though. Also look at it this way there will be 7 different vaults so maybe they will see no one is going beyond the 1 time purchase and lower the price to 100 so you can take 2 pulls for the cover you want
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, one other thing - I'm curious to see if it's the same cover for everyone or a random color. Everyone who mentioned the color of their Nova was Red. Mine is Red as well. Anyone get anything else?
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    If it remains 50HP per token per day, i am fine with it. But yeah, first version of Character vault was the best. Then DEVs became a bit greedy.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    50 hp daily? Sure, why not!

If one of them is a Peggy vault, I'll knock the dust off my wallet to champ my 4/4/4.