Boss Rush Event: Info & Rewards *Updated

Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Damn people sure are salty these days. Do they need to sticky post the memo:

You aren't suppose to win.

Is such a message supposed to make players LESS salty?

Forget winning and losing, players want the game to be fun. if it's not fun, we have every right to say so, and to point out what is making the game less fun.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yep, this sucks. And we haven't even hit the inevitable nightmare scenario yet...

Two rounds of bosses that don't use black, followed by a round 3 Galactus, getting to use the ap from his predecessors to instakill you.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Smudge wrote:
    When some of the most positive voices in the forum change their tune, that speaks volumes. Great idea, terrible implementation. That's all I really need to say here.

We say that about MPQ fairly often.. almost every time, all the time
    No... not really. There are people posting in this thread who, despite the negativity around them, speak up about some positive they found... or they comment something neutral they noticed. Not really the case here. Our regular upbeat posters are sounding every bit as disenfranchised as the rest of the group. Again, not good.

If you occasionally speak ill but generally praise, that's one thing. When someone constantly is happy and upbeat about things and suddenly says "yeah... no... I don't like this," that's what I'm talking about.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,740 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    firethorne wrote:
    Yep, this sucks. And we haven't even hit the inevitable nightmare scenario yet...

Two rounds of bosses that don't use black, followed by a round 3 Galactus, getting to use the ap from his predecessors to instakill you.

That won't happen, Surfer will precede him using the black to some degree.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got halfway through Round 3 before getting locked out, and while there is a notable jump in difficulty, I can't say yet if it's too much or prohibitive for an event that goes on for 3+ days. It really depends on how they enact things. If the scaling is purely round-based and not, in addition, time-based, that's fine. Especially if the boss HP between rounds isn't significantly ramped up (I don't mean each boss' individual HP, but the progression bar for the round... I don't know what to call these things), which so far it does not seem to be. I almost prefer fighting more difficult bosses with less round HP, than easier bosses again and again with an enormous pool of round HP, which each victory barely makes a dent in.

If my interpretation of what's happening is right, maybe I'll get a Peggy token! We'll see.

What really disappoints me, however, is two things:

1) Alliances are not competing together, and this is really a solo event. While I like the rewards for placement within your alliance, I don't see why that extra layer had to sacrifice alliance play.
    2) Even though this is an Anniversary Event (it has the party hat and everything), none of the points accrued appear to be affecting the total Anniversary score. I was anticipating this working towards my Anniversary progression rewards, and I'm bummed that it's not.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tony Foot wrote:
    firethorne wrote:

Bold assumption.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think i figured out the point discrepancies
    The order you play the sub nodes, wave nodes are worth more than non wave nodes, and wave nodes in later rounds are worth even more
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dear mods,

I'm a busy person and don't have time to read through an 8 page thread where complaints about the unexpected behavior of this event are found starting on page 3. Locking complaint threads and redirecting them to a megathread makes it harder for working folk to get answers.

I'm starting to think you didn't learn from last year's fail anniversary (failiversary?) when the sheer number of negative posts was completely overwhelming.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Finished up the first set of nodes to make it into round 3. Having fun so far! Seems like a challenge and one of my alliance-mates is flipping out because he got hulked on round 3 and didn't win the fight, but I'm reserving judgement until we see if they become impossible like the later rounds of the first run of Galactus.

A couple concerns: 3 of the side nodes require 4-star characters. For the sake of newer players I hope the required characters change when the nodes refresh.

Could we know how many points each round will cost?

Also most of the active guys in my alliance who were plugging away at it didn't realize it's just solo progression. That's the danger in turning a co-op format into a PvE.

Keeping round progression and total points progression different is kind of weird/confusing, but I suppose because the side nodes can increase in value, (later in the event) two people could be at the same score but in different rounds. Maybe? Anyway we're all wondering how hard those Peggys will be to come by, will 25 CP at 1.2 be enough or is it harder?
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    I think i figured out the point discrepancies
    The order you play the sub nodes, wave nodes are worth more than non wave nodes, and wave nodes in later rounds are worth even more

No.

As pointed out before, players that have played the nodes in the exact same order have different points after a full clear.
  • Matt Murdock
    Matt Murdock Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2016
    Options
    elusive wrote:
    I hate to add to the complaints, but my god.

I have a champed 3 star roster in a casual alliance (so my top 3* are around 190). 4* are not quite usable. I generally get high or max progression in boss battles, and my alliance is usually good for the first 4* (we were really happy when we got 2 4* in one of them).

With boosts, my highest characters are 270-280. Round 3 the boss levels 265-341.

I like most of the changes that have gone in this year, and am happy the devs are trying. But this is the opposite of fun.

On the positive side, I got my weekend back between this and the class of 2016 PVP, so there's at least that.

You sound like you're in the exact same spot as me - my highest leveled character outside of the currently useless 5 stars I've been pulling nonstop is a level 193 Hulk (that's the good old regular 3 star Hulk, if that wasn't clear) and the bosses are currently level 265-335 in my Round 3. I pretty much have nothing to look forward to in this game for the weekend, as I can't really play this or the current PvP with my roster.

The funniest part is that I'm on day 914 and have played this for over 1300 hours, not to mention I've easily spent $200+ on it. When said out loud, it makes me wonder why I've done that much for a game that evidently requires much, much more money and time than even that to be fun.
    $200? Lol my wallet is envious of yours. Just to give you an idea...With the current 5* dilution rate, statistically it would take a little over $2000 spent (in buyers clubs) to pull that one missing OML cover. And its only going to get worse. Enjoy 5* land! icon_e_smile.gif

As for the boss event, what they said ^. I dont want to repeat the same complaints. But i sure hope they reconsider the scaling like they did with that one gauntlet. Not that I'm a fan of the format and really want it to be playable, but I was sooo looking forward to finally getting peggy yellow (because they always make that cover the hardest to get instead of mixing it up for some reason....), but now it looks like this may be a repeat of every other time peggy yellow has been offered. Extremely difficult (in this case maybe almost impossible) to get. I was busy and joined too late to get the yellow from her PVP.

Also, we really would have appreciated better communication. I know us commanders spent a lot of time organizing for this event, just to find out the best part of boss events was removed and we wasted our time to boot.
  • dasquish
    Options
    Sigh. I love boss events. They are what keep me from becoming a total filthy dirty casual. This isn't a boss event, this is a slaughterhouse. Unless you meant to make it so alliance mates could help each other out and reap real alliance round rewards, then this just makes zero sense. I actually understand the philosophy behind "You are supposed to lose." Losing is supposed to teach you something, make you get creative, try something new and risky, maybe even still reward you for the effort you put in. This game doesn't allow for that. You have to be perfect every time or you don't succeed, and you don't progress.

In previous boss events we could rely on our alliance mates to test things out, our higher rosters could take up some of the slack from our lower rosters who couldn't hack the later levels. This is just a poorly thought out risk/reward paradigm that fosters no sense of teamwork and punishes any sort of trial and error while facing difficulty that will outpace all but the highest of rosters by round 4.

Any event where you are better off creating your own 1 person alliance and setting it to private is a bad event.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tony Foot wrote:

And generate even more.

Feels odd to have one of these that isn't Alliance based.
  • AE_Fios
    AE_Fios Posts: 39
    Options
    Don't know what everyone is complaining about. My entire weekend just freed up. Thanks D3!
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mega ghost wrote:

1) Alliances are not competing together, and this is really a solo event. While I like the rewards for placement within your alliance, I don't see why that extra layer had to sacrifice alliance play.
    2) Even though this is an Anniversary Event (it has the party hat and everything), none of the points accrued appear to be affecting the total Anniversary score. I was anticipating this working towards my Anniversary progression rewards, and I'm bummed that it's not.

One thing I noticed is that, when you beat a round with overkill (more damage than was necessary to beat the round), the extra damage spills over into the next round. That didn't happen with previous cooperative boss fights, I suspect because if multiple people played simultaneously during the final battle of a round, the game couldn't handle the spill-over effectively (who earned what for which round?). So one (minor) positive of this seems to be that ALL your damage goes against the boss rather than losing some if you overkill when beating a round.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Is there a response from a red, is this a bug or should I really go make my own alliance for this one event???

edit: The alliance placement awards make this a losing proposition since we will almost certainly hit T25, but I think for most others making a temp alliance makes sense.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    See you all in three days I suppose.
  • bobby_2613
    bobby_2613 Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    I don't know what devs doesn't understand but LOSING IS NOT FUN ever... icon_rolleyes.gif Hard might be fun... Insanely hard is not.

Games... are meant to be fun... icon_e_surprised.gif

Again this year, your boss event is a total FAIL... (Thanks for the double ISO tho...)

'nuff said *smfh*
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Is there a response from a red, is this a bug or should I really go make my own alliance for this one event???

edit: The alliance placement awards make this a losing proposition since we will almost certainly hit T25, but I think for most others making a temp alliance makes sense.

No, Fight, you should hop in a partially full casual public alliance. I'm sure they will appreciate the "help" as you help yourself to first place rewards icon_twisted.gif

No more Ultron after round 3. That's a positive sign. He's the oddball (and scaled up ridiculously from rd 1 to 3!!!).

Teams that work well against other bosses are similar; Ultron requires a different lineup, esp at high levels.

The most negative thing about this anti-alliance event: stronger player can't help weaker players win all the rewards. We were psyched to win all the Peggies for all our members. Now it's "every man drag his corpse". Not fun, not engaging, rather dispiriting.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

No more Ultron after round 3. That's a positive sign. He's the oddball (and scaled up ridiculously from rd 1 to 3!!!).

Teams that work well against other bosses are similar; Ultron requires a different lineup, esp at high levels.
    Let me tell you a secret
    Ultron will be back
This discussion has been closed.