Boss Rush Event: Info & Rewards *Updated

Options

Comments

• Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Reposting here since the topic got locked:

I know people have complained about PvP and lack of SCL, but this is the first real misstep of anniversary for me.

While going through Boss Rush I've been recording rough numbers because they seemed ridiculous. I'm not sure if personal scaling is a factor, but even if it is... (It does seem to be, and my numbers aren't even the highest)

Comparing this to previous Boss events it's actually insane.

R1:
    Ultron - 4k HP
    Cap - 4k HP
    IM46 - 6k HP
    TOTAL - 14k HP

R2:
    Banner - 10k HP
    IM46 - 10k HP
    Ultron - 15k HP
    TOTAL - 35k HP

R3:
    Banner - 17k HP
    Goblin - 26k HP
    Ultron - 33k HP (and 16k bombs!)
    TOTAL - 67k HP

Civil War HP
    R1: 6,122
    R2: 9,100
    R3: 12,000
    R4: 14,939
    R5: 19,289
    R6: 28,402
    R7: 41,868
    R8: 61,213

On R3 of this new event bosses are already approaching R6/R7 level of health, and there's already a grand total of health higher than R8 of CW. I shudder to think what scaling is going to look like in later rounds.

Not to mention that fighting three of these things back to back comes with several complications that vastly increase difficulty:
      Bosses like Banner will generate a ton of AP, better hope that no one else in the wave can use it. Letting a Boss match other colors no longer matters, since chances are that another Boss can use that AP. Bosses like Ultron favor very different team combinations and strategies compared to someone like IM46.

Oh and on top of all of that progression is entirely personal so alliance members can't even work towards round goals together.

I really liked the idea of this event, but so far it's looking absolutely miserable.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have no problem with hard BOSSES.
    That's fair.

But! But if I will ALSO have to fight HARD sub-missions I will be very very angry icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif Hulk's angry even! icon_evil.gif
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So for Round 3 (Banner, Goblin and Ultron), what teams & strategies are people using? I went in with champed Kingpin, SW, and Falcap (to accelerate SW's countdown) and did not do well... Hulk got some cascades in his round, so by the time I finished him off and Goblin appeared he had a ton of AP to work with for his 5 AP abilities. I lost everyone except SWitch by the end of the round, and then Ultron appeared.

So I'm definitely not going with that team again (when I play next, in 8 hours), but I'm not sure what kind of team to use, really. You need a lot of health to get through all the rounds, you have a lot of countdown tiles to manage (especially when Golbin appears) and anyone who creates special tiles will see those tiles just systematically destroyed when Ultron's round begins.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Lost my post due to the thread locking!

Anyway - for those doing math on Lone Wolf Alliance for this event, did you factor in the 2500ISO to create an Alliance? Or is the plan to find a dead Alliance (somehow) and verify no participation (somehow) and keep it to yourself? (somehow)

My Calcs - 1st in a top 1000+ Lone Wolf Alliance:
    1 - Storm (Mohawk) Green Cover, 5000 Iso-8, 100 Hero Points
    1001-10000 - 250 Iso-8
    Alliance Cost - -2500ISO
    NET 2750ISO, 100HP and MehHawk Cover

11-20 Personal plus 250-500 Alliance:
    11-20 - Elite Token, 2000 Iso-8
    251-50 - 500 Iso-8, 25 Hero Points
    NET 2500ISO, 25HP, 1 Elite Token

Outside of HP, these are almost the equivalent, so placing better either as an Alliance or personally within the Alliance (which I'd argue most on the forum can do) you're better off in a reasonably Active Alliance.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When some of the most positive voices in the forum change their tune, that speaks volumes. Great idea, terrible implementation. That's all I really need to say here.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    anniversary 3

kv4ol_s-200x150.gif

feel the excitement

icon_neutral.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Skygazing wrote:
    Reposting here since the topic got locked:
    I know people have complained about PvP and lack of SCL, but this is the first real misstep of anniversary for me.

While going through Boss Rush I've been recording rough numbers because they seemed ridiculous. I'm not sure if personal scaling is a factor, but even if it is... (It does seem to be, and my numbers aren't even the highest)

Comparing this to previous Boss events it's actually insane.

R1:
    Ultron - 4k HP
    Cap - 4k HP
    IM46 - 6k HP
    TOTAL - 14k HP

R2:
    Banner - 10k HP
    IM46 - 10k HP
    Ultron - 15k HP
    TOTAL - 35k HP

R3:
    Banner - 17k HP
    Goblin - 26k HP
    Ultron - 33k HP (and 16k bombs!)
    TOTAL - 67k HP

Civil War HP
    R1: 6,122
    R2: 9,100
    R3: 12,000
    R4: 14,939
    R5: 19,289
    R6: 28,402
    R7: 41,868
    R8: 61,213

On R3 of this new event bosses are already approaching R6/R7 level of health, and there's already a grand total of health higher than R8 of CW. I shudder to think what scaling is going to look like in later rounds.

Not to mention that fighting three of these things back to back comes with several complications that vastly increase difficulty:
      Bosses like Banner will generate a ton of AP, better hope that no one else in the wave can use it. Letting a Boss match other colors no longer matters, since chances are that another Boss can use that AP. Bosses like Ultron favor very different team combinations and strategies compared to someone like IM46.

Oh and on top of all of that progression is entirely personal so alliance members can't even work towards round goals together.

I really liked the idea of this event, but so far it's looking absolutely miserable.

I just want to state for posterity that I predicted this problem 10 days ago: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=52717. (But don't post on that thread or it will get locked too!)

And that was before even considering the idea that we would get 3x even more difficult bosses than in prior boss fights.

Demi: IF you want to design a game mode where players really are expected to lose most of their matches, then don't build a game that tinykitty charges real money for losing! If the idea was to bash our rosters against a boss over and over again, hoping to win 1 out of 10 fights, then let us enter each match after a loss at full health.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Six locked threads on the front page. Is that a record?

Oh my.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think I am going to pass on this one. Between what I am reading on the event and getting locked out because the game crashed the second I went into the boss fight it sounds like it's just another broken and unfun event. What a shame, I was really looking forward to this. Maybe if they do a second run they can get it right.
  • Tarouza
    Tarouza Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lets see i noticed david and kabir on recently, must have just been to tell the mods to lock threads rather then to share some meaningful communication about whats going on
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The cooperative nature of boss fights has been the most fun part. Even when they're crazy hard, the coordination and timing of working with a group took this game to a different level than just matching sparkly bits by yourself on the can. Why they'd take that success away, I don't know. Between this and the recent eradication of the Baked Goods That Shall Not Be Named, maybe the message isn't "You're supposed to lose" so much as "You're supposed to lose alone."
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is the most poorly conceived event ever
    Missing points
    Solo progression
    Lock in to an alliance only to compete against them
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

I just want to state for posterity that I predicted this problem 10 days ago: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=52717. (But don't post on that thread or it will get locked too!)

And that was before even considering the idea that we would get 3x even more difficult bosses than in prior boss fights.

Demi: IF you want to design a game mode where players really are expected to lose most of their matches, then don't build a game that tinykitty charges real money for losing! If the idea was to bash our rosters against a boss over and over again, hoping to win 1 out of 10 fights, then let us enter each match after a loss at full health.
    Yes, is there some way that you (D3) could code a boss fight to not record health loss and knockouts? A loss is frustrating enough, since you only have up to 6 boss opportunities, but when you expect you players' team to be unusable after any given attempt at the boss, it's really kind of insulting. And if that weren't bad enough, we already know the sub-missions are going to scale up to team-wiping levels (it would be nice if they did not scale so high, since those aren't the goal of any Boss event). Just stop with the expectation of players using health packs already. There are lots of better things for us to spend Hero Points on.
  • CyberVenom2001
    CyberVenom2001 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So for Round 3 (Banner, Goblin and Ultron), what teams & strategies are people using? I went in with champed Kingpin, SW, and Falcap (to accelerate SW's countdown) and did not do well... Hulk got some cascades in his round, so by the time I finished him off and Goblin appeared he had a ton of AP to work with for his 5 AP abilities. I lost everyone except SWitch by the end of the round, and then Ultron appeared.

So I'm definitely not going with that team again (when I play next, in 8 hours), but I'm not sure what kind of team to use, really. You need a lot of health to get through all the rounds, you have a lot of countdown tiles to manage (especially when Golbin appears) and anyone who creates special tiles will see those tiles just systematically destroyed when Ultron's round begins.

I went in with Champed XForce Wolverine, Iron Fist, and Prof. X. Took minimal damage from Hulk, Goblin hurt (especially Prof), Ultron absolutely decimated me.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So I finished all sub nodes and won all boss battles and I'm 8000 pts behind leader. Everyone is talking about how round 3 bosses are hard and my last boss fight (that I could do) brought me into round 3. Well looks like I'm not going to place well due to reasons beyond my control.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I went in with Champed XForce Wolverine, Iron Fist, and Prof. X. Took minimal damage from Hulk, Goblin hurt (especially Prof), Ultron absolutely decimated me.
    I was considering that team -- I brought XFW & IF in one of the lower rounds and found Surgical Strike was completely useless against IM46, BTW, since he generates his strongest color and then destroys the tiles, SS almost never has anything to target. XFW is probably more dangerous than helpful in the Ultron round, since all 3 of his powers potentially shake up the board and may make bombs drop.

I'm considering running with Goddess Thor, IM40 and Jean Grey. Jean would get rid of Gobby's countdowns, but the main risk with that team is the bosses are unstunnable and making matches, so GThor is going to be leaving a whole lot of charged tiles on the board for them to potentially pick up.
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Kingpin, switch and if. Rush purple and black to build up finger poke of death.

It's looking like this is the boss gauntlet some have been asking for... except it's waves... and on a timer so we effectively have to play on Demi's schedule. Individual max progression at 1.2 million looks very grim. It is that even possible given we have only about 54+ clears to do it?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Smudge wrote:
    When some of the most positive voices in the forum change their tune, that speaks volumes. Great idea, terrible implementation. That's all I really need to say here.

We say that about MPQ fairly often.. almost every time, all the time
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I went with Charlie's Angels. Sure it'll fold quickly in future rounds though.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DAC169 wrote:
    Any chance of minion node scaling going back to Ultron/Galactus round-based method?
    I dunno, Peggy is a pretty great 4* reward. Especially if her yellow is the lowest progression cover.
    I think we all know that her yellowflag.png will be the round 8 reward.

We have a winner!

I took the round 3 with 282 XForce Wolverine, 183 Doom, and 190 Magneto. Used Dooms Blue to feed XForce Black and the general board shake up of Xforce+Mags.

Thinking of dumping some iso into Fisk and Peggy and pairing them with Cho.
This discussion has been closed.