Boss Rush Event: Info & Rewards *Updated

Options

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Skygazing wrote:
    Reposting here since the topic got locked:

I know people have complained about PvP and lack of SCL, but this is the first real misstep of anniversary for me.

While going through Boss Rush I've been recording rough numbers because they seemed ridiculous. I'm not sure if personal scaling is a factor, but even if it is... (It does seem to be, and my numbers aren't even the highest)

Comparing this to previous Boss events it's actually insane.

R1:
    Ultron - 4k HP
    Cap - 4k HP
    IM46 - 6k HP
    TOTAL - 14k HP

R2:
    Banner - 10k HP
    IM46 - 10k HP
    Ultron - 15k HP
    TOTAL - 35k HP

R3:
    Banner - 17k HP
    Goblin - 26k HP
    Ultron - 33k HP (and 16k bombs!)
    TOTAL - 67k HP

Civil War HP
    R1: 6,122
    R2: 9,100
    R3: 12,000
    R4: 14,939
    R5: 19,289
    R6: 28,402
    R7: 41,868
    R8: 61,213

On R3 of this new event bosses are already approaching R6/R7 level of health, and there's already a grand total of health higher than R8 of CW. I shudder to think what scaling is going to look like in later rounds.

Not to mention that fighting three of these things back to back comes with several complications that vastly increase difficulty:
      Bosses like Banner will generate a ton of AP, better hope that no one else in the wave can use it. Letting a Boss match other colors no longer matters, since chances are that another Boss can use that AP. Bosses like Ultron favor very different team combinations and strategies compared to someone like IM46.

Oh and on top of all of that progression is entirely personal so alliance members can't even work towards round goals together.

I really liked the idea of this event, but so far it's looking absolutely miserable.
    I have to agree that the scaling of this event is going to be miserable. The difference on health though is the bosses individual match damage is lower then a round 8 civil war run.
    One problem I have with this event is they showed an awsome buff list of 4* for the upcoming week and then subbed in some really week 4* for the boss event. We could have been taking on this scaling with a buffed iceman, HB, and ghost rider and now we have average Hulk and Xforce. Bucky is good but slow and how many people have him championed to face these types of bosses? If the stunners are suppose to be great in this event why are they not buffed?
    What is really sad is you did not learn from last years anniversary event with Galactus "Your suppose to lose!" Why is it that you want to create a super tough event that not many people want to play?
  • M C K
    M C K Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options
    So for Round 3 (Banner, Goblin and Ultron), what teams & strategies are people using? I went in with champed Kingpin, SW, and Falcap (to accelerate SW's countdown) and did not do well... Hulk got some cascades in his round, so by the time I finished him off and Goblin appeared he had a ton of AP to work with for his 5 AP abilities. I lost everyone except SWitch by the end of the round, and then Ultron appeared.

I went in with Champed XForce Wolverine, Iron Fist, and Prof. X. Took minimal damage from Hulk, Goblin hurt (especially Prof), Ultron absolutely decimated me.
    I was considering that team -- I brought XFW & IF in one of the lower rounds and found Surgical Strike was completely useless against IM46, BTW, since he generates his strongest color and then destroys the tiles, SS almost never has anything to target. XFW is probably more dangerous than helpful in the Ultron round, since all 3 of his powers potentially shake up the board and may make bombs drop.

I'm considering running with Goddess Thor, IM40 and Jean Grey. Jean would get rid of Gobby's countdowns, but the main risk with that team is the bosses are unstunnable and making matches, so GThor is going to be leaving a whole lot of charged tiles on the board for them to potentially pick up.

Do not underestimate the power of Red Hulk to steal Banner's green away. Might be dangerous to use against Ultron, but have someone tank for him and you should be ok. Used Cho, RHulk, and Kingpin to great effect (Cho's active green hit against Ultron's bombs, and his passive countdown tile was a nice partner to Kingpin's prostate exam).
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I hate to add to the complaints, but my god.

I have a champed 3 star roster in a casual alliance (so my top 3* are around 190). 4* are not quite usable. I generally get high or max progression in boss battles, and my alliance is usually good for the first 4* (we were really happy when we got 2 4* in one of them).

With boosts, my highest characters are 270-280. Round 3 the boss levels 265-341.

I like most of the changes that have gone in this year, and am happy the devs are trying. But this is the opposite of fun.

On the positive side, I got my weekend back between this and the class of 2016 PVP, so there's at least that.
  • adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Nothing is going to save you against ultron bombs in r4 and up though. R3 bombs are pretty much one shots. And since personal scaling is in effect, I'm guessing it's going to be the same no matter your roster
  • D3P2K5
    D3P2K5 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Skygazing wrote:
    Reposting here since the topic got locked:

I know people have complained about PvP and lack of SCL, but this is the first real misstep of anniversary for me.

While going through Boss Rush I've been recording rough numbers because they seemed ridiculous. I'm not sure if personal scaling is a factor, but even if it is... (It does seem to be, and my numbers aren't even the highest)

Comparing this to previous Boss events it's actually insane.

R1:
    Ultron - 4k HP
    Cap - 4k HP
    IM46 - 6k HP
    TOTAL - 14k HP

R2:
    Banner - 10k HP
    IM46 - 10k HP
    Ultron - 15k HP
    TOTAL - 35k HP

R3:
    Banner - 17k HP
    Goblin - 26k HP
    Ultron - 33k HP (and 16k bombs!)
    TOTAL - 67k HP

Civil War HP
    R1: 6,122
    R2: 9,100
    R3: 12,000
    R4: 14,939
    R5: 19,289
    R6: 28,402
    R7: 41,868
    R8: 61,213

On R3 of this new event bosses are already approaching R6/R7 level of health, and there's already a grand total of health higher than R8 of CW. I shudder to think what scaling is going to look like in later rounds.

Not to mention that fighting three of these things back to back comes with several complications that vastly increase difficulty:
      Bosses like Banner will generate a ton of AP, better hope that no one else in the wave can use it. Letting a Boss match other colors no longer matters, since chances are that another Boss can use that AP. Bosses like Ultron favor very different team combinations and strategies compared to someone like IM46.

Oh and on top of all of that progression is entirely personal so alliance members can't even work towards round goals together.

I really liked the idea of this event, but so far it's looking absolutely miserable.

Round 3 already feels like round 7 of other boss fight events. Even with a mature 4* roster, I can't see even winning a boss fight in round 4 the way the scaling in increasing. I sincerely hope that D3 will take advantage of daily patching to significant adjust scaling back. Furthermore, with Ultron now being an active tile mover, bombs need to go away or have drastically reduced damage.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To put Peggy covers up for grabs, then have the insane escalation in boss difficulty between rounds, that's just sadistic. And we haven't even had the first node difficulty escalation.

Not a fan.
  • dan54321
    dan54321 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Just adding my voice to the dismay already expressed. It really does seem like D3 is determined to eradicate any cooperative fun in this game. First getting rid of cupcakes and the thriving social scene and collaborative aspect it added to the game, now getting rid of the team bonding you got by bringing down a tough boss as a group.

And of course, we have the return of You're Supposed To Lose. The scaling is absurd.

Double ISO is great, but other than that they seemed to have learned nothing from last year's Anniversary about what the playerbase actually enjoys in terms of gameplay. It's becoming clear to me that what D3 thinks makes a game enjoyable is just not what most of us think, and they aren't capable of absorbing these ideas and changing. Or they just don't want to. I don't know why I should continue investing money in their game.
  • Lowrider925
    Options
    This is not the event I was hoping for...but it IS what I was fearing. I'll still wait for word from the devs before raising hell though.

In other news...we still haven't seen the boss version of Old Man Logan...
    icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_e_surprised.gif
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I can't start this until later. Has the timer for ramping up difficulty already started, or does it start when I start?
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I hate to add to the complaints, but my god.

I have a champed 3 star roster in a casual alliance (so my top 3* are around 190). 4* are not quite usable. I generally get high or max progression in boss battles, and my alliance is usually good for the first 4* (we were really happy when we got 2 4* in one of them).

With boosts, my highest characters are 270-280. Round 3 the boss levels 265-341.

I like most of the changes that have gone in this year, and am happy the devs are trying. But this is the opposite of fun.

On the positive side, I got my weekend back between this and the class of 2016 PVP, so there's at least that.

You sound like you're in the exact same spot as me - my highest leveled character outside of the currently useless 5 stars I've been pulling nonstop is a level 193 Hulk (that's the good old regular 3 star Hulk, if that wasn't clear) and the bosses are currently level 265-335 in my Round 3. I pretty much have nothing to look forward to in this game for the weekend, as I can't really play this or the current PvP with my roster.

The funniest part is that I'm on day 914 and have played this for over 1300 hours, not to mention I've easily spent $200+ on it. When said out loud, it makes me wonder why I've done that much for a game that evidently requires much, much more money and time than even that to be fun.
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    deadtaco wrote:
    I can't start this until later. Has the timer for ramping up difficulty already started, or does it start when I start?

Sub nodes will probably get harder in 4.5 hours. About 24 hours after the event starts the devs turn difficulty to 11.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    deadtaco wrote:

Starts when you start, since there's no alliance-based progression. You will enjoy a breezy first round and a solid second round, after which you will be walloped upside the head by the rotting mackerel of round 3.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Starts when you start, since there's no alliance-based progression. You will enjoy a breezy first round and a solid second round, after which you will be walloped upside the head by the rotting mackerel of round 3.
    Figure15 wrote:
    Sub nodes will probably get harder in 4.5 hours. About 24 hours after the event starts the devs turn difficulty to 11.

Well that's confusing. Guess I will just have to see. Sounds like it's not going as well as hoped. So fun to look forward to disappointment. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Roguewookie26
    Roguewookie26 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The devs stated that scaling will increase every 8 hours this time. That makes it sound like it does whether you have started or not. My advice is get what little you can early and then prepare to play some other more enjoyable game after hitting either round 3 or the first 2 scaling timers.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    Why is it that you want to create a super tough event that not many people want to play?

Man...I don't even really know what to say... ^^ That right there is a darn good question tho! ^^

Seriously devs, what kind of reaction were y'all expecting to an event like this, where people are being scaled out before even getting close to halfway thru it? What part of something like that sounds "fun"?

My only solace is that I can just abandon this dumpster fire when it becomes too frustrating to play (I give it to round 4) without really hurting anyone in my alliance. Yay? I guess?
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm confounded that they didn't seem to learn anything after the debacle that was Galactus. Did they not sit down, run the health numbers, think through the implications of a 3-wave boss fight, without alliance help, at any point? Was there not one person at Demiurge who went, "Hey.. wait a minute, something's not right here?" Were they thinking they had to tune the difficulty of this event so that it would be a mega-challenge to the handful of 550 5* rosters out there, and forgot about the other 99% of the players?

And for MoStorm covers to boot.

It feels like we've been mega-trolled.

This is the kind of screw-up that makes players quit. Quit spending money, quit playing outright.

And to think, after SCL hit, it felt like they were finally acknowledging just how bad progression had gotten and they were ramping things up. Except they keep turning it off to revert to the old stale system and then this. icon_rolleyes.gif

I got nothin'.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    deadtaco wrote:
    Figure15 wrote:

Well that's confusing. Guess I will just have to see. Sounds like it's not going as well as hoped. So fun to look forward to disappointment. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think I misunderstood you - I was referring to the boss, who won't start getting harder until you start playing. Node difficulties are going to scale up every eight hours, as the other posters said, but I don't think we know if that happens for players who haven't started playing yet. In a benevolent universe, it would be pegged to your individual roster and entry time into the game; unfortunately, we live in the universe where JFK got assassinated and there are no f&%$ing airships.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Seriously devs, what kind of reaction were y'all expecting to an event like this, where people are being scaled out before even getting close to halfway thru it? What part of something like that sounds "fun"?

While I'll often refrain from giving them the benefit of the doubt, until someone plows through it and we know what the thresholds are, we don't know when 'scaled out' actually happens.

While you might not be able to beat the wave after round 3-4, if you can do enough damage you may be able to progress anyway.

Of course, given the progression target at 1.2M, I'm sure that's a laughable concept, but it's (for now) still in the realm of possible.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Damn people sure are salty these days. Do they need to sticky post the memo:

You aren't suppose to win.
  • Escape2victory
    Options
    Good God this event is truly awful. Im normally fully engaged for 3 days during these, but now.... round 2 and Ive lost interest. Further rounds would be masochistic. I'm out.
This discussion has been closed.