Thank god cupcakes are gone

Comments

• dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Vhailorx wrote:

Top players and top alliances pvp scores are down across the board. No more cupcakes means no more free point hoarding inside of Alliances which is what was going on. Cupcakes were self serving to the pvp alliances that set themselves up to take advantage of a system in a way that was not intended. Pretending cupcakes were doing the general public a favor is a load of ****.

No more cupcakes means these players actually have to play the game now instead of beating down on scrub teams setup for them. Rather than siphoning off each other, they now have to compete with the rest of the plebs, including the other top alliances.

The binky was taken and im glad for it.

This is not how cupcakes worked. Yes, they did allow coordinating players to climb safely. but that doesn't mean those players were never hit. By attacking cupcakes, players could do 3 or 4 75-point matches and shield before their hits landed. But those hits still landed. And they weren't just from alliance mates.

It's true that baking and Line coordination provide the most benefit for participants. and there is a real debate to be had about what PVP should look like, and what problems exist with the current PVP scoring format.

But that's not the choice before us. The choice before is the old system plus cupcakes, or the new system (which is apparently quite similar to the old system) without cupcakes. And the result is pretty clearly worse since scores are way down and, accordingly, fewer players are actually making progress in the game.
    I do agree the scoring system is broken. But so is the cupcake system. It is breaking the system. Two wrongs do not make a right. Yes cupcakes make it easier to get higher progression. But the likelihood of getting cupcake without coordination is next to zero. There's 24 hours in a day and a cupcake is out for how long? There are so many other conditions that have to be met to find it. Then when you find it, you have to hit it a certain way so that you can get it again.

Does this seem like something that the general public can do or something that a few minority do? Cupcakes have not benefited the average player much at all. It has mostly benefited the small niche of players who use line to coordinate.
  • In the end, I think what's going to really matter to the devs is that players like me, who previously spent 5 dollars almost every pvp for shields and boosts are now not gonna spend anything, because why bother buying shields when it's impossible to hit progression even with them?

In that way, I thank you for taking away cupcakes because now I can find another game to give my money to (or dare I say, actually save it)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    We need to look at why they existed in the first place. At any place above your float point any hop had the potential (likelyhood) to lose more points than you'd gain because of the flawed 1 attack, infinite defense model. CCs were the best way to leverage a net positive
  • Ramble2
    Ramble2 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    In the end, I think what's going to really matter to the devs is that players like me, who previously spent 5 dollars almost every pvp for shields and boosts are now not gonna spend anything, because why bother buying shields when it's impossible to hit progression even with them?

In that way, I thank you for taking away cupcakes because now I can find another game to give my money to (or dare I say, actually save it)

I agree completely. I would buy a stark every season or two, because I enjoyed the game.

Now, pvp is largely unfun. Hop from 950 with 2 champed 4*, come out of a quick first match to see I've been hit and my score is unchanged. Try to salvage the hop with one more match, come out to see I've been hit for -140 by two others in the 600s. So now I'm at 880, and I'm supposed to be excited about spending money to hop again in some vain attempt to reach 1200 or decent placement? I don't think so.

This isn't just my opinion, I've heard the same story from almost every competitive 4* player I've spoken too.

Maybe D3 would like me to play PVE, where because slice times are what they are and four clears at the start are required to be competitive, I'll never actually have a shot at competing in this new system.

I hope King Dreadnaught enjoys it, and keeps spending his money, and I hope he keeps getting meetings with the devs to discuss how he'd like the game. I hope DJ Toesa comes back and spends again. Because those of us stuck in the middle are probably done.

I have put money into the game as a hat tip to the devs and to keep playing what I considered to be a fun pvp game with my friends. Now I look at my 23k gold and think, "what a waste."
  • dan54321
    dan54321 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    I agree with Ramble 100%. As a 4* player, I find the joy of PVP is essentially gone, thanks to the end of cupcakes. It's not just that I can't bake and help people out -- and where on earth are these bizarre opinions coming from, by the way, that bakers don't want to help other people out? It's fundamentally a charitable action! Bakers are baking because they want as many people to get their cc as possible! They bake for the entire shard. The only people that a baker doesn't like hitting their cc is people who hit them before the baker has a chance to shield. These strange fantasies that people have that bakers don't care about helping people are so weird -- there's frankly something pathological about them. Furthermore, I caught cc all the time before I was in a battle chat on Line. All you have to do is notice that a baker is out and start cycling through queues until they bake. Wait five minutes for them to shield, and hit the cupcake. I did it all the time, and the creeps who used to intentionally snipe bakers did it, too.

Now that cupcakes are gone, everybody is scoring much less in the entire shard. That means my PVP experience is much worse -- and not just because I can't hit cupcakes directly. It's because all the diversity is gone from my climb once I hit 600 points, and the ease of the climb. At that point, I stop seeing all the diverse rosters of champed and unchamped 3* players, or unchamped 4*/3* players, who used to be my opponents. Why? Because thanks to the end of cupcakes, these 3* and transitioning 4* players are getting **** and can't climb any higher. So my remaining climb is like the last 150 points of sim, fighting hard opponents who are only worth 25-30 points, only unlike sim, I have to now do this for 600 more points if I want to hit 1200. Meanwhile, I'm taking loads of hits once I pass 800 points.

It is unbelievably dull and unpleasant. All I see are mirror teams of my own or, more likely, the usual PHX OML that 5* are running. Yes, that's something that's palatable for 150 points, like in sim, but not for 600 points.

It's encouraging me to just quit at 600, which means less progression rewards and less incentive for me to keep playing this game. It's really just too tedious, difficult, and boring. I hear that 5* players have pretty much the same climb to 1200 that they used to, but for any other tier of play, PVP is not a reason to play this game anymore.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    grunth13 wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    OJSP wrote:
    I am a baker. I am helping out others by doing so. I get hit a lot and you don't see me complaining anymore.

I am deeply offended that you call us cheaters multiple times.

You have only played the game for so long. We have played the game longer.

We haven't been sandboxed (which is the company's policy against cheaters). Why do you keep calling us cheaters?

FYI. Cupcakes are not gone and will continue to happen. Join the in the fun or find another game.

Your posts are just negative and this is the last time I'm responding to it. Welcome to my ignore list.
    For what it's worth... Anyone who classifies baking as "cheating," must also put Winfinite in the same category. It requires you to softcap your roster in a very particular way, and play in a way that the developers do not intend, and have routinely patched out of the game in its previous incarnations. Much like baking/cupcakes, it is, however, possible within the "rules of the game," even if not necessarily the spirit of the game. So anyone who **** about CCs, but has ever relied on Winfinite... please take your hypocrisy elsewhere. At least the bakers were helping the whole player base out. Winfinite helps no one but yourself.
    I dunno, Winfinite helps me plenty. That team is pure trash on defense and I have a Jean Grey. icon_razz.gif

More to the point though, I do agree CCs are far from cheating. They're not even a "misuse of mechanics", they're in the game solely because the engine and mechanics permit it.

Thats what makes me think perhaps the change wasn't meant for cupcakes. Perhaps it was simply a way for them to allow players to use teams they wanted without risking getting ****. Say I was fighting a Winfinite, I could use Jean Grey but if mine isn't fully leveled then it would be trouble for me later. Rather instead, my other stronger characters are put out there. Lets me play PvP with a bit more focus on countering my opponents.

Could also be wishful thinking.

Don't think winfinite will save you completely. We are seeing that you can be seen with a championed 5, loaner and champed 3 or championed 5, 1 star, 3star base. Therefore, if you mmr is low enough, winfinite may be able to be seen. Also, if your mmr is high enough, winfinite doesn't do you much good, because the match damage alone will make you have to use 3 health packs each match. Winfinite still good for pve though.

No, no no no no. I don't use winfinite. However, when other people do, I feel great about crushing them under foot.
  • dsds
    edited September 2016
    dsds wrote:
    But the likelihood of getting cupcake without coordination is next to zero.

No it isn't. In slices 3, 4, or 5, above ~800pts (where your "visibility" opens up), It was common to be tripping over them. I haven't "coordinated" with anyone in those slices since last year.

A friends of mine played several seasons, baking and taking, and wasn't on LINE at all. And the randoms hitting those cakes definitely weren't on LINE.
    dsds wrote:
    There's 24 hours in a day and a cupcake is out for how long?

Perhaps a minute. But in that minute it's served up to a ton of queues. Players will stumble across it later, at any time during the remainder of the event, whenever they resume playing/skipping. Now consider dozens/hundreds players winning matches with new teams and/or unshielding, multiple times over the course of the event, injecting those new teams into other's queues every time.

It's very easy to know when a cupcake is found. The game reports the hits icon_lol.gif In a busy slice you'd have trouble playing at times for all the hit notifications popping up.
    dsds wrote:
    Does this seem like something that the general public can do or something that a few minority do?

Trick question. The number players playing PVP past 600 IS a minority, and a small one. The average season score, even in a season-long vet bracket, is barely enough to get the 10pk at 4000, suggesting that most players skip a lot of events or are only playing to 300-400pts on average.

So, among the minority of PVP players, the "general competitive public" if you will, who are playing to higher progressions, yes, they could benefit from baking.

You hit it because you knew which slices they were in. The conditions of hitting them which according to you is around 800pts is also very hard to hit like you said also. So the probability is still pretty close to zero if you look at game population compared with people who get the cupcakes. Coordination means outside knowledge. Forums or previous knowledge of cupcakes is coordination. For a new player or most players who don't use this forum, most will encounter them once, twice, or none depending on their luck. Also this doesn't matter, you gave one or two examples of people not using line. I can read through the forums and give thousands of examples of people who are suggesting line and using it to coordinate cupcakes. The fact is the majority of those using cupcakes are using line. Stop using technicalities and exceptions to justify cupcakes. They are for the most part for people who know how to use outside information.

Yes many people can queue a cupcake in a minute. I get that. For argument sake, let's just assume that 1000 can queue a cupcake in a minute. In that same minute, how many do you think will queue a non cupcake? Now times that by 60 minutes, then time that by 24 days. The number of people who can queue cupcakes compared to the people who can't is so insignificant. It's like 0.0001% of the game population. I didn't say that cupcake didn't benefit anyone, just that it was very very small minority. Are you saying that this very very small minority or what you call the "general competitive public" is all the people that matters in this game?

I understand that people playing past 600 is a minority, I can see that in my leaderboards too. I agree that the scoring system is broken and thus why people skip events. But doesn't mean they don't want to hit 600. It's because the system is broken. Cupcakes did not help very much If it did, then there would be more people playing past 600 then, wouldn't ya think?
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    dsds wrote:
    dsds wrote:

No it isn't. In slices 3, 4, or 5, above ~800pts (where your "visibility" opens up), It was common to be tripping over them. I haven't "coordinated" with anyone in those slices since last year.

A friends of mine played several seasons, baking and taking, and wasn't on LINE at all. And the randoms hitting those cakes definitely weren't on LINE.
    dsds wrote:

Perhaps a minute. But in that minute it's served up to a ton of queues. Players will stumble across it later, at any time during the remainder of the event, whenever they resume playing/skipping. Now consider dozens/hundreds players winning matches with new teams and/or unshielding, multiple times over the course of the event, injecting those new teams into other's queues every time.

It's very easy to know when a cupcake is found. The game reports the hits icon_lol.gif In a busy slice you'd have trouble playing at times for all the hit notifications popping up.
    dsds wrote:
    Does this seem like something that the general public can do or something that a few minority do?

Trick question. The number players playing PVP past 600 IS a minority, and a small one. The average season score, even in a season-long vet bracket, is barely enough to get the 10pk at 4000, suggesting that most players skip a lot of events or are only playing to 300-400pts on average.

So, among the minority of PVP players, the "general competitive public" if you will, who are playing to higher progressions, yes, they could benefit from baking.

You hit it because you knew which slices they were in. The conditions of hitting them which according to you is around 800pts is also very hard to hit like you said also. So the probability is still pretty close to zero if you look at game population compared with people who get the cupcakes. Coordination means outside knowledge. Forums or previous knowledge of cupcakes is coordination. For a new player or most players who don't use this forum, most will encounter them once, twice, or none depending on their luck. Also this doesn't matter, you gave one or two examples of people using line. I can read through the forums and give thousands of examples of people who are suggesting line and using it to coordinate cupcakes. The fact is the majority of those using cupcakes are using line. Stop using technicalities and exceptions to justify cupcakes. They are for the most part for people who know how to use outside information.

Yes many people can queue a cupcake in a minute. I get that. For argument sake, let's just assume that 1000 can queue a cupcake in a minute. In that same minute, how many do you think will queue a non cupcake? Now times that by 60 minutes, then time that by 24 days. The number of people who can queue cupcakes compared to the people who can't is so insignificant. It's like 0.0001% of the game population. I didn't say that cupcake didn't benefit anyone, just that it was very very small minority. Are you saying that this very very small minority or what you call the "general competitive public" is all the people that matters in this game?

I understand that people playing past 600 is a minority, I can see that in my leaderboards too. I agree that the scoring system is broken and thus why people skip events. But doesn't mean they don't want to hit 600. It's because the system is broken. Cupcakes did not help very much If it did, then there would be more people playing past 600 then, wouldn't ya think?

The only times I was ever able to hit 1k with my 3* roster was when I got to around 900 points and lucked into cupcakes. I've never been in a battle chat, my alliance is PVE focused. There weren't that hard to find even with 0 line coordination. And they definitely helped my roster. I thank the nice people who left them out for people to hit and will miss them in the future.
  • DC1972
    DC1972 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    dsds wrote:

So the devs made a major change which only impacts 0.0001% of the population?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arguing cupcakes are bad because new players can't use them is like arguing that cars are bad because your newborn can't drive.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    dsds wrote:
    It's like 0.0001% of the game population.

This would amount to somewhere around 0.10-0.15 people. I think there were more people than that using the mechanic.
  • dsds
    dsds wrote:

This would amount to somewhere around 0.10-0.15 people. I think there were more people than that using the mechanic.
    It's about 1300 people. 13000000 is about the size of the player base. Just look up the downloads on playstore and itunes.
  • dsds
    DC1972 wrote:
    dsds wrote:

So the devs made a major change which only impacts 0.0001% of the population?
    Yes. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to do it so quickly without getting much backlash. This forum is a very small part of the population. But most here are gaining from this unfair advantage. Also many would still be able to hit the progression goal without cupcakes. It's your opinion that it is a major change. They annouced it as a small change in pvp.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    dsds wrote:
    dsds wrote:

dsds wrote:

dsds wrote:

You hit it because you knew which slices they were in. The conditions of hitting them which according to you is around 800pts is also very hard to hit like you said also. So the probability is still pretty close to zero if you look at game population compared with people who get the cupcakes. Coordination means outside knowledge. Forums or previous knowledge of cupcakes is coordination. For a new player or most players who don't use this forum, most will encounter them once, twice, or none depending on their luck. Also this doesn't matter, you gave one or two examples of people using line. I can read through the forums and give thousands of examples of people who are suggesting line and using it to coordinate cupcakes. The fact is the majority of those using cupcakes are using line. Stop using technicalities and exceptions to justify cupcakes. They are for the most part for people who know how to use outside information.

Most people don't play past 300 to 400 points because they are casual players. Yes, MPQ does have casual players. They don't care about placement, they don't care about rosters, they don't care about alliance minimums, etc. They come on for 10-15 minutes while their real life provides them the time and play a few. We on the forum are a very small group who play competitively. For those that play competitively, cupcakes added points to everyones score...be it immediately by hitting it, or by getting other targets that were worth more. The slices that usually scored highest were 1/3/4 and sometimes 5. When I used to visit slice 1, my scores were in the 2.5k to 3k range. My leaderboard was filled with people over 1.3. Today, my leaderboard in slice 1 has a total of 5. That's right 5 and there are only 3 hours left in that slice. Of the guys that got 1.2, all had 2 champed 5's. 6-10 have champed 4's and could use the extra cp, but they did not get it. I got mine and now will be able to be better than them for even longer. The haves and have nots difference will continue to widen more so than it was before. Do you have any way to change that problem?
  • dsds
    Arguing cupcakes are bad because new players can't use them is like arguing that cars are bad because your newborn can't drive.
    It's not the same argument. The comparison is more like people shouldn't take a short cut on a racetrack because it isn't a sanctioned part of the track. Just like line isn't really a officially endorsed form of chat for the game.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    dsds wrote:
    dsds wrote:

It's about 1300 people. 13000000 is about the size of the player base. Just look up the downloads on playstore and itunes.
    Downloads do not equal active players, I personally have downloaded on 4 devices, my current device, 2 previous phones and a tablet
  • dsds
    grunth13 wrote:
    dsds wrote:
    dsds wrote:

dsds wrote:

dsds wrote:

Most people don't play past 300 to 400 points because they are casual players. Yes, MPQ does have casual players. They don't care about placement, they don't care about rosters, they don't care about alliance minimums, etc. They come on for 10-15 minutes while their real life provides them the time and play a few. We on the forum are a very small group who play competitively. For those that play competitively, cupcakes added points to everyones score...be it immediately by hitting it, or by getting other targets that were worth more. The slices that usually scored highest were 1/3/4 and sometimes 5. When I used to visit slice 1, my scores were in the 2.5k to 3k range. My leaderboard was filled with people over 1.3. Today, my leaderboard in slice 1 has a total of 5. That's right 5 and there are only 3 hours left in that slice. Of the guys that got 1.2, all had 2 champed 5's. 6-10 have champed 4's and could use the extra cp, but they did not get it. I got mine and now will be able to be better than them for even longer. The haves and have nots difference will continue to widen more so than it was before. Do you have any way to change that problem?
    I never said I would solve the widen gap between the halfs and half nots. Heck when they have sales on iso and hero points, they widen the gap each time. I am just saying that it isn't part of gameplay and cupcakes were not intended to be used. Who knows why, it could be because they were losing revenue, because there were more people getting command points who would have bought since most who were using the cupcake system are more likely to buy?
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2016
    The way I see it, nobody should have to go to the forums and stumble upon Line chat information regarding channels that hand out cupcakes so they can gain progression rewards they typically wouldn't be able to land. Even on the rare occasion I stumbled across a random cupcake, I certainly don't feel I should be getting 75 points for beating a 2* team. Can anyone argue this is what the developers intended for their players?

They always toggle rewards up or down depending on how many players are able to hit progression rewards. If there aren't enough players able to hit progression now, they will move it down further. The only difference is everyone hitting progression is earning it now defined by intended gameplay.
  • dsds
    fmftint wrote:
    dsds wrote:
    dsds wrote:

Downloads do not equal active players, I personally have downloaded on 4 devices, my current device, 2 previous phones and a tablet
    Again arguing on technicalities. Yes there are people who download on 4 devices, but that a very very small number, it's almost insignificant. Also just trying to justify how I got the 0.0001%. I could be more precise, but this is a forum and I think a rough estimation is good enough.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    dsds wrote:
    dsds wrote:

The devs have multiple times quoted player participation for PvE in the low 6-figure range. There's no way there's 13M players.