Thank god cupcakes are gone

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    LOL, No idea how that happened.

That looks super easy to a 5* roster, but I feel bad for any 3* rosters that are gonna try and chew through a champed 5*

Moral of the story: It's still quite possible to put easier matches out, now they just took those easy matches away from the 4* transitioners. Problem solved?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Honest question, because I'm unsure if I'm missing something. For the people that reportedly had problems hitting 1k, and can now hit 900 comfortably, that's great! Looking ahead to future goals, do you plan to eventually hit max progression in pvp and transition to 5*s? There's a couple of posts in this thread already of people with strong 4* rosters hitting some rough roadblocks there, I mean...that's got to be a little disconcerting, no?

I wouldn't so much say I had problems hitting 1k, as it was annoying and sometimes costly in HP. If I can spend only 75 HP on shields three times a week = 225, rather than 75 + 150 =225 x 3 = 675, that is 450 HP less a week going out. That is a huge amount of saved HP. It was also stressful sometimes. Remember, you become visible to everyone somewhere around 600+ points, so you just need about 300 points before the attacks roll in instead of 400, which is a huge difference. Forget the HP cost to get to 1.3k, that would be requiring either tons more time to perfectly play out hops, or 600+ HP an event.

But getting back to your question about how I plan to progress, the answer is simple: I don't expect to progress in the 5 star game. Its impossible for me. I had the worst luck possible when 5 stars first came out. I first got tons of 4 stars I didn't max (IW, Starlord, etc.). Then I got a bunch of covers for 4s I could use. When I did get new 5 star covers, it was usually spread out to be one or two per 5 star, thus completely useless. Or I would get my Phoenix with 6 green covers, 0 purple and 1 red. Useless. So what would getting more CP really have done for me? Given my horrible luck, it would've probably just meant more Starlords and IW I was throwing out, and getting less ISO than the HP I spent on shields was worth. With the enhancement to boosted 4s, they can actually handle their own now against lower level 5 stars. I don't see max 5s except 800+ in PvP, which I no longer have to worry about dealing with as much anymore. Why progress to 5 stars unevenly and unreliably when I can don't have to fight 5 stars yet and have a stronger 4 star roster? Additionally, I will be getting an extra 10 CP going forward from PvP I didn't before. With the extra HP, I will be saving up more HP to buy out a whole vault to get specific 4s I want and move up that way. Remember, at higher champion levels, 4 stars can give you enough CP and legendary tokens to get new pulls pretty often.

TLDR: My luck is bad, always was, RNG pulls are horrible. Currently 15 CP extra is just 7.5 more classic legendaries a month at a cost of well over 2k extra HP a month. Would rather have HP and save up and just keep building my 4 star roster until they fix RNG.

So a significant minority of vet players (maybe 20 or 25%) were coordinating on line to make otherwise prohibitively expensive progression rewards available to 3* and 4* players at a reasonable cost, and you solution is that everyone at that level of play should just abandon all hope of progressing through 4* land into 5*s at all?!

That doesn't make any sense. Just because you don't have any interest in getting 5* characters built anytime soon (and here I think your sandbox account may be a significant factor. It's easier to wait for 5*s on your live account when you can play with any one you want on your sandbox at will), it's ok for the game to make progression from 4* to 5* much harder than it already was? And all so you can have a slightly easier time reaching 1k? That seems really myopic mutant.

Also, any 4* roster with 1-3 of the top tier 4*s champed is strong enough to reliably hit 1k on 0-1 shields. Ice, 4*thor, or peggy are probably the best options for if you only had 1 4* champ, but cyc, rulk, imhb, punmax, and nova are also probably enough for a very significant majority of events. This is not speculation. I subsisted on IMHB, xpool, and 4Thor for months without cupcakes or Line communication, and I only failed to reach 1k when I tried in one event (an offseason event for an x-23 red cover). And even that time I hit 930-something without shielding and only failed because I tried to squeeze in one more match to get 1k without shields.

What does your roster look like mutant, if you were having trouble reaching 1k without using the 8-hour shield?
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2016
    The few people that are complaining about the cupcake change are just pissed the free ride to easy progression is over. Its understandable but for most of the patrons of MPQ the elimination of cupcakes is a good thing. Sorry you disagree.

Bolded for emphasis to show how you allow your perception to skew your opinion. First, is not "few people" complaining. Have you been reading the forum at all?? You are the one driving against the traffic direction and saying "sorry that you disagree". Second, are you really this dense? The "free ride to easy progression" was available to everybody! Including you! Even if you didn't ever see a single CC. Except that you don't care because you are happy to stop at the 4* cover progression. You are basically saying "I had this principled, yet baseless opinion on how things 'should' be. As long as my ideal is attained, I don't care how many people get screwed over, even if no one really is benefitting in exchange." Because that's exactly what happened: With top placement still held by the usual suspects and the number of points and targets above 900 points greatly reduced, there's not a single person whose life has been improved by the change.

The only people who talk positively about the change are those who experience that obnoxiously petty satisfaction you express in your OP, literally rejoicing on other people's impoverishment even if you gain nothing from it. That is the reason why I've been finding so hard not to be hostile in this thread. I still cannot tell whether this change was /necessary/ and perhaps conducive to an overall better system in the future once more changes have been implemented.

Please refrain from making assumptions about a person's motivations and/or psychiatric state. This could be considered a personal attack.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Pylgrim wrote:
    The few people that are complaining about the cupcake change are just pissed the free ride to easy progression is over. Its understandable but for most of the patrons of MPQ the elimination of cupcakes is a good thing. Sorry you disagree.

Bolded for emphasis to show how you allow your perception to skew your opinion. First, is not "few people" complaining. Have you been reading the forum at all?? You are the one driving against the traffic direction and saying "sorry that you disagree". Second, are you really this dense? The "free ride to easy progression" was available to everybody! Including you! Even if you didn't ever see a single CC. Except that you don't care because you are happy to stop at the 4* cover progression. You are basically saying "I had this principled, yet baseless opinion on how things 'should' be. As long as my ideal is attained, I don't care how many people get screwed over, even if no one really is benefitting in exchange." Because that's exactly what happened: With top placement still held by the usual suspects and the number of points and targets above 900 points greatly reduced, there's not a single person whose life has been improved by the change.

The only people who talk positively about the change are those who experience that obnoxiously petty satisfaction you express in your OP, literally rejoicing on other people's impoverishment even if you gain nothing from it. That is the reason why I've been finding so hard not to be hostile in this thread. I still cannot tell whether this change was /necessary/ and perhaps conducive to an overall better system in the future once more changes have been implemented. But celebrating it precisely because it harmed some people that you decided were evil (or irrelevant, as long as the evil ones are punished) borders in sociopathic.

I bit of an overreaction.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Pylgrim wrote:

The only people who talk positively about the change are those who experience that obnoxiously petty satisfaction you express in your OP, literally rejoicing on other people's impoverishment even if you gain nothing from it. That is the reason why I've been finding so hard not to be hostile in this thread. I still cannot tell whether this change was /necessary/ and perhaps conducive to an overall better system in the future once more changes have been implemented. But celebrating it precisely because it harmed some people that you decided were evil (or irrelevant, as long as the evil ones are punished) borders in sociopathic.

Two things:

First, most people in the actual game aren't on the forums or aware of LINE. In that way, we are indeed only a few people and not all of us are complaining or care about cupcakes.

Second, I never cared for cupcakes personally or found them necessary and am also talking positively about it. It's not a smug sense of self-satisfaction that drives me, it's more practiced indifference because cupcakes have never been a part of my play experience. The change in progression is nice (and gave me my last kingpin cover I needed) but that change is the only one that actually affects me directly. That's allowing your perception to skew your reality. For a vast majority of players, not the ones on the site but all of the players on the whole game, the change in progression is positive and the loss of cupcakes is neutral.

Perhaps not what the OP was directly meaning to say, but it needs to be said that we here on the forum are the vocal minority in the grand scheme of the game.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    My earlier posts offended notamutant. I apologize for any offense that they offered. Although I disagree with his or her opinion relative to cupcakes and this PVP format change, I respect his or her contributions to the MPQ community and did not intend to level any personal attacks.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    PvP scores are actually reasonable now. No more select pvp alliances dominating slices. Feels good.
    Have you looked at the leader boards? Alliance 1 has a 15k lead on alliance 2. What about that is "reasonable"?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:
    Two things:

First, most people in the actual game aren't on the forums or aware of LINE. In that way, we are indeed only a few people and not all of us are complaining or care about cupcakes.

For a vast majority of players, not the ones on the site but all of the players on the whole game, the change in progression is positive and the loss of cupcakes is neutral.

The average score (as told to us once) was around 200-250 points per PvP. So the vast majority of players are both progression neutral (because the changes occurred above them) and cupcake neutral. Neutral because neither affects them at all.

For the areas of PVP play they did change (progression, cupcakes), the forums (and LINE) are going to be a more accurate gauge of the impact to the players, and the response is mostly negative. I don't think that should be a dismissed with a simple "well, most people are cool with it," when most people have no idea anything even changed.
  • Pylgrim
    Blahahah wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

Two things:

Second, I never cared for cupcakes personally or found them necessary and am also talking positively about it. It's not a smug sense of self-satisfaction that drives me, it's more practiced indifference because cupcakes have never been a part of my play experience. The change in progression is nice (and gave me my last kingpin cover I needed) but that change is the only one that actually affects me directly. That's allowing your perception to skew your reality. For a vast majority of players, not the ones on the site but all of the players on the whole game, the change in progression is positive and the loss of cupcakes is neutral.

Perhaps not what the OP was directly meaning to say, but it needs to be said that we here on the forum are the vocal minority in the grand scheme of the game.

You talk as if I'm speaking against the change in the 4* cover progression reward going down to 900. I'm not, that is good, or rather, necessary due the diminishment of available points past the 800 point mark. So we agree in that being a positive. For the second thing you say you are neutral and I say it's negative. So it is a net negative, right? Which it is the point of my post you are answering to. If nobody benefits (neutral) but some people are harmed, then there's reason to speak against it. Besides you are ignoring my point that the loss of cupcakes indirectly has negatively affected /everybody/ by reducing the amount of available (and viable) high-score targets. Sure, it affects more directly those interested in going for the CP reward, but the effect cascades down affecting those who'd climb of them to reach the 4* cover reward.

I'm glad for you that you got in a nice bracket and had an actually easier time reaching the 4* cover reward. It was not my experience or that of many other players who had to play 3-4 40ish points battles instead of 2 50+ battles per 100-point climb as it used to be. Whose perception of reality is the one skewed, then?
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Wow so much crying in this thread over the loss of cupcakes. For months PVP has been rubbish for me due to the insane point inflation caused by the trickle down economy of e-peen stroking and boosting.

In fist bump, my 1340 in slice 1 on 2 shields was good for 3rd place. Top 10 was 1232. Before this change, my placement would have been a mediocre top 25 at best. So thank you for that D3 and keep the faith

To the bakers, I've never said no to cupcakes but you made it too easy for everyone else to get high scores so thanks - for nothing.

IF you do need to placate the crybabies in this thread - a suggestion would be to split the 25CP over the progression climb, eg 5, 10, 15CP (I'm well aware that adds up to more than 25) at various intervals on the climb to 1200.
  • Pylgrim
    kidicarus wrote:
    Wow so much crying in this thread over the loss of cupcakes. For months PVP has been rubbish for me due to the insane point inflation caused by the trickle down economy of e-peen stroking and boosting.

In fist bump, my 1340 in slice 1 on 2 shields was good for 3rd place. Top 10 was 1232. Before this change, my placement would have been a mediocre top 25 at best. So thank you for that D3 and keep the faith

To the bakers, I've never said no to cupcakes but you made it too easy for everyone else to get high scores so thanks - for nothing.

IF you do need to placate the crybabies in this thread - a suggestion would be to split the 25CP over the progression climb, eg 5, 10, 15CP (I'm well aware that adds up to more than 25) at various intervals on the climb to 1200.

You are unaware of the irony and hypocrisy in your own post. You talk about e-peen when it's clear that you value placement over progression... when placement rewards both comparatively suck and are available to only a tiny percentage of the population! So in the past you had a hard time achieving top placement (e-peen much?) but in the meantime, lots of people had an easier time progressing. So you are fine that 10 out of 500 people have it allegedly easier at the cost of all the other 490 having it harder?
  • Blahahah
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

Two things:

You talk as if I'm speaking against the change in the 4* cover progression reward going down to 900. I'm not, that is good, or rather, necessary due the diminishment of available points past the 800 point mark. So we agree in that being a positive. For the second thing you say you are neutral and I say it's negative. So it is a net negative, right? Which it is the point of my post you are answering to. If nobody benefits (neutral) but some people are harmed, then there's reason to speak against it. Besides you are ignoring my point that the loss of cupcakes indirectly has negatively affected /everybody/ by reducing the amount of available (and viable) high-score targets. Sure, it affects more directly those interested in going for the CP reward, but the effect cascades down affecting those who'd climb of them to reach the 4* cover reward.

I'm glad for you that you got in a nice bracket and had an actually easier time reaching the 4* cover reward. It was not my experience or that of many other players who had to play 3-4 40ish points battles instead of 2 50+ battles per 100-point climb as it used to be. Whose perception of reality is the one skewed, then?
    Take no direct offense, I was merely attempting to clarify a point: When he is referring to "a few people", we are indeed a few people.

Also when you've mentioned that people who agree with the charge (or don't necessarily disagree with it) are bordering on sociopathic because their motives are joy stemming from the detriment of others, I felt necessary to mention that I am one of those whom speaks that the removal of cupcakes has its merits and, for the very vast majority, probably isn't even being noticed. I am no sociopath nor is my motive based on the losses of others.

I'm not here to debate on one side or the other, just to make sure that all points can be heard equally.
  • Pylgrim
    Blahahah wrote:
    Also when you've mentioned that people who agree with the charge (or don't necessarily disagree with it) are bordering on sociopathic because their motives are joy stemming from the detriment of others, I felt necessary to mention that I am one of those whom speaks that the removal of cupcakes has its merits and, for the very vast majority, probably isn't even being noticed. I am no sociopath nor is my motive based on the losses of others.

I'm not here to debate on one side or the other, just to make sure that all points can be heard equally.

Ah, you misunderstood me. i'm not saying that anybody ok with the change is enjoying detriment to others and as such, a sociopath. I'm saying that those who celebrate the change /because/ is detrimental to others are.
  • Blahahah
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Ah, you misunderstood me. i'm not saying that anybody ok with the change is enjoying detriment to others and as such, a sociopath. I'm saying that those who celebrate the change /because/ is detrimental to others are.

Ah. When your quote said "The only people" I assumed the entire post was inclusive. Pardon my mistake.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Pylgrim wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:

You are unaware of the irony and hypocrisy in your own post. You talk about e-peen when it's clear that you value placement over progression... when placement rewards both comparatively suck and are available to only a tiny percentage of the population! So in the past you had a hard time achieving top placement (e-peen much?) but in the meantime, lots of people had an easier time progressing.

What irony and hypocricy? Isn't it possible that I value both the progression rewards and placements as much? Do you think the ones scoring 2000-3000 points were doing it just so you could make max progression? That is unbelievably naïve and sounds like you've drunk too much of the CC Kool-Aid.

Previously, placement only awarded a 4* in 1st place. Now it's top 5 and an additional 3 3*s (all of which I need to improve my roster) - this is a marked improvement and actually motivates me to play harder. That is a big deal.
    So you are fine that 10 out of 500 people have it allegedly easier at the cost of all the other 490 having it harder?

I am ok with this. This is PVP and the stronger rosters should do better. I'm not an apex predator because I'm not spending as much as the whales but what I have is a roster built over 3 years. I certainly don't think that a scrub who has devoted less time (or cash) improving his roster should reach max progressions as easily as me.
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I thought the progression rewards were there to be gained by most players and the rank rewards would then depend on who the top dogs are. The progression rewards kind of guarantee some kind of progress in the rosters, and rank rewards accelerate it even more
    Ideally you would see the entire playerbase progressing, to keep them interested in the game.

If you keep one PVP event and claim that only people who have played for the game's lifetime are entitled to progress rewards, you are really not undestanding how people are motivated. why should anyone start MPQ from scratch anymore, if the potential for progress is already cut out.

For the game to stay alive, I really hope they keep giving us CP to get those covers, even if we are not MPQ-lifetime players.

As a thought experiment, imagine that everyone (who really puts the effort in) gets 25cp from each event. What is the harm? That everyone can eventually get 5s covered? Is that bad? Many games lure players with long grinds to rewarding end goals. Why prevent the progress? MPQ is quite a grindy game. Reaching even one 5s character playable build will take a year (or 2).
  • simonsez wrote:
    They literally did conspire to hoard points and it was done at the expense of the general playerbase.
    Stop using words you don't understand to illustrate concepts that are false. "Hoarding" implies they're monopolizing a fixed resource. That's not how PvP works. The people who were running up scores were doing so at the BENEFIT of the general playerbase, because even if you never saw a cake, it was always easy to find 75 point targets. It's a lot easier to hit 1300 on 75 point matches than to hit 1200 on 38 point matches. Math.

I did it with only 1 3h shield, 1.2k T5. Keep your math for your friends.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    theo199 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    They literally did conspire to hoard points and it was done at the expense of the general playerbase.
    Stop using words you don't understand to illustrate concepts that are false. "Hoarding" implies they're monopolizing a fixed resource. That's not how PvP works. The people who were running up scores were doing so at the BENEFIT of the general playerbase, because even if you never saw a cake, it was always easy to find 75 point targets. It's a lot easier to hit 1300 on 75 point matches than to hit 1200 on 38 point matches. Math.

I did it with only 1 3h shield, 1.2k T5. Keep your math for your friends.
    I did it without any Shields, but having a maxed OML certainly helped quite a bit on the way, particularly since X-23 was also boosted and there was almost no need to use Health packs.
    The removal of cupcakes don't really affect the big rosters, it affects the medium size rosters that are trying to grow. On the other hand, moving 10 CP down to 575 Points means there will be some growth for them at least.
  • Pylgrim
    kidicarus wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:

You are unaware of the irony and hypocrisy in your own post. You talk about e-peen when it's clear that you value placement over progression... when placement rewards both comparatively suck and are available to only a tiny percentage of the population! So in the past you had a hard time achieving top placement (e-peen much?) but in the meantime, lots of people had an easier time progressing.

What irony and hypocricy? Isn't it possible that I value both the progression rewards and placements as much? Do you think the ones scoring 2000-3000 points were doing it just so you could make max progression? That is unbelievably naïve and sounds like you've drunk too much of the CC Kool-Aid.

I've never said or believed for a moment that all bakers and coordinated climbers were doing it /for me/. But I was happy to benefit and so were many other people.
    Previously, placement only awarded a 4* in 1st place. Now it's top 5 and an additional 3 3*s (all of which I need to improve my roster) - this is a marked improvement and actually motivates me to play harder. That is a big deal.

Not going to argue here. It is an improvement.
    So you are fine that 10 out of 500 people have it allegedly easier at the cost of all the other 490 having it harder?

I am ok with this. This is PVP and the stronger rosters should do better. I'm not an apex predator because I'm not spending as much as the whales but what I have is a roster built over 3 years. I certainly don't think that a scrub who has devoted less time (or cash) improving his roster should reach max progressions as easily as me.

See, that's the thing. I've been playing for 3 years as well. However, my second year was marked by (a well-documented) egregious bad luck that made a significant part of my 4* draws (almost 70%!) Invisible Woman, Starlord and X-Force. I only maxed Hulkbuster in May of this year while most other veterans had been using him to great benefit for over 6 months. Same for other "good" 4*s. This allowed me a strange perspective: to be a 3-year veteran with the roster of what nowadays I reckon is worth a year and a half. So progression is very important for me, as it is for other players in my position (even though they have been playing less)... but progression past certain point is hard as you are seeing mostly full-4* or fledging 5* opponents. Each battle is a slow, risky slog and in the meantime you look like candy for climbing players that have those rosters.

I fully agree that the strongest rosters should get the top placement. I dont care about placement because I don't have a roster that can be catalogued as "strongest". However, I, and many others like me, very much care about progression. So please understand if I have a hard time accepting a measure that allegedly made things better for the 0.2% that will place top 10 in an event at the cost of dozens or hundreds of transitioning players having a much harder time reaching the rewards they need to progress.
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I fully agree that the strongest rosters should get the top placement. I dont care about placement because I don't have a roster that can be catalogued as "strongest". However, I, and many others like me, very much care about progression. So please understand if I have a hard time accepting a measure that allegedly made things better for the 0.2% that will place top 10 in an event at the cost of dozens or hundreds of transitioning players having a much harder time reaching the rewards they need to progress.

Wise words.

D3 would do well to heed this message. If the top 1% advances at the same pace as before and the 99% cant keep up because you cut out 60% of the potential cp gain, that is no recipe for success.