*** Captain America (Super Soldier) ***

Comments

• Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    IceIX wrote:
    Useless, until you run a Heroic that the Gold isn't usable in but the 2* is. Or when you hit a PVP Tournament where it's 2* or lower. Or you hit an Event where the 2* is buffed and the 3* isn't. Quite a few reasons to keep a maxed 2* around, just like there are reasons to keep Iron Man (Model 35) around when you're using 3 141s.

While technically true, keep in mind how this feels as a player. These are not "organic" gameplay-driven reasons to keep a character around. To me, this just reads like a threat from you to the players: "We gave you a completely redundant character, but if you max the more powerful version, we'll punish you for deleting the weaker version."

If I heard a statement from you guys that the Gold version would ALWAYS be buffed if the non-gold version was, I'd feel a lot better about this Gold character thing.
  • I always think of Cap deflecting damage with his shield. Curious to see how they tweak yellow and it would be cool ti me if his yellow protect tiles deflected a % of damage. 1 protect tile deflects 5%, 2 10%, 3 20%, etc... since blue spits out a protect tile, I hope yellow is more than just a reduction in AP.
  • radav
    radav Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Jathro wrote:
    Had a vision of Cap with an ability almost the opposite of M. Hawkeye's 'avoid' in that Cap would rush to the front of the team and defend attacks instead of jumping to the back and avoiding them. Give the new Cap a large health pool, some ability to make protect tiles and he can stand in for anyone:

Noble Protector:
    Yellow
    (PASSIVE) If there are more than 12 red tiles on the board, Captain America rushes to the aid of his team, guarding incoming attacks
    Level 2: Requires 11 red tiles
    Level 3: Requires 10 red tiles
    Level 4: Requires 9 red tiles
    Level 5: Requires 8 red tiles

or whatever; i'll let you experts balance it out more

I really think we should see more abilities like this from the supposed "tanks" in the game. I think it would make PvP a lot more interesting if you couldn't just hop in and target the team's weakest member and take them out first before having to deal with the Hulk or a Capt. America with a power like that. I know there are obviously issues with this regarding the strength of characters like Spidey or Classic Mags but if they ever get around to balancing characters to a more reasonable degree I think something like this would make both PvE and PvP even more interesting and increase the usefulness of a larger # of characters.
  • Twysta wrote:
    Ice has stated there are so 2* characters on the list.

And possibly even 2* "Silver" characters...

Uh, just can't wait when I can fight to get silver Hawkie icon_e_smile.gif
  • radav wrote:
    Jathro wrote:
    Had a vision of Cap with an ability almost the opposite of M. Hawkeye's 'avoid' in that Cap would rush to the front of the team and defend attacks instead of jumping to the back and avoiding them. Give the new Cap a large health pool, some ability to make protect tiles and he can stand in for anyone:

Noble Protector:
    Yellow
    (PASSIVE) If there are more than 12 red tiles on the board, Captain America rushes to the aid of his team, guarding incoming attacks
    Level 2: Requires 11 red tiles
    Level 3: Requires 10 red tiles
    Level 4: Requires 9 red tiles
    Level 5: Requires 8 red tiles

or whatever; i'll let you experts balance it out more

I really think we should see more abilities like this from the supposed "tanks" in the game. I think it would make PvP a lot more interesting if you couldn't just hop in and target the team's weakest member and take them out first before having to deal with the Hulk or a Capt. America with a power like that. I know there are obviously issues with this regarding the strength of characters like Spidey or Classic Mags but if they ever get around to balancing characters to a more reasonable degree I think something like this would make both PvE and PvP even more interesting and increase the usefulness of a larger # of characters.

I think a 5 black hulk getting to rush in front of team to take damage and get angry would be extremely OP on defense and as much as I would love this in my team, cant see it ever being agreed unless it was and was then nerfed on day 2
  • I always think of Cap deflecting damage with his shield. Curious to see how they tweak yellow and it would be cool ti me if his yellow protect tiles deflected a % of damage. 1 protect tile deflects 5%, 2 10%, 3 20%, etc... since blue spits out a protect tile, I hope yellow is more than just a reduction in AP.

The "lazy" component I'm most sad about is when an ability evolves just by reducing AP cost. It was striking me way too lame from the beginning. I'd expect every level bring some evolution in mechanics. And the 5th some really kicking addition you feel pain for not having.
  • repronaz wrote:
    I think a 5 black hulk getting to rush in front of team to take damage and get angry would be extremely OP on defense and as much as I would love this in my team, cant see it ever being agreed unless it was and was then nerfed on day 2

For Hulk it would not be in nature at all, but for captain some skill like that would make perfect sense. I'd probably tie it to all his colors or number of shields sitting around.

I also like the idea for the passive Morale Boost, buffing teammates' abilities in some way.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    I always think of Cap deflecting damage with his shield. Curious to see how they tweak yellow and it would be cool ti me if his yellow protect tiles deflected a % of damage. 1 protect tile deflects 5%, 2 10%, 3 20%, etc... since blue spits out a protect tile, I hope yellow is more than just a reduction in AP.

The "lazy" component I'm most sad about is when an ability evolves just by reducing AP cost. It was striking me way too lame from the beginning. I'd expect every level bring some evolution in mechanics. And the 5th some really kicking addition you feel pain for not having.
    I wonder if when the eventual balancing comes for Cap 2* if that will also affect Lazy Cap. It would be rather amusing if people started using the 2* over the 3* b/c his abilities end up being better.
  • Riggy wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    I always think of Cap deflecting damage with his shield. Curious to see how they tweak yellow and it would be cool ti me if his yellow protect tiles deflected a % of damage. 1 protect tile deflects 5%, 2 10%, 3 20%, etc... since blue spits out a protect tile, I hope yellow is more than just a reduction in AP.

I wonder if when the eventual balancing comes for Cap 2* if that will also affect Lazy Cap. It would be rather amusing if people started using the 2* over the 3* b/c his abilities end up being better.

I could see that if they don't allow Cap to overwrite any tile as that's the only reason I use him in pve.
  • I don't know why anyone would be surprised. Marvel has a big say in what characters companies can use and what and when they release stuff. New Captain America movie coming out... this shouldn't be a shock.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am hoping, against hope that LazyCap will be the new buffed version of 2* Cap and roll them out together. We all know Cap has been on the funbalance sheet, and what perfect way to release a Gold Character, it would essentially be a new character if you funbalanced the 2* at the same time, that would cut down on the hate so much. Sure it's just a copy of the 2* character, but....We tweaked all the abilities so he's essentially a new character, this I like.
  • Phaserhawk
    Anybody who thinks he's gonna be a "lazy" character should read what ICEIX wrote about his blue power, they are definitely doing the 3* upgrade justice.

If he's gold then he is an exact copy of the 2* version, which means if they are changing the 3* power, then they will be doing so of the 2*, at least that is where logic dictates the path should follow, assuming the definition of a Gold character is an exact replica of 2* but with buffed stats.
  • radav
    radav Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    What do you guys think would be a good amount of AP for his yellow ability? It's waaaay too high as it stands right now. Maybe it should work similarly to how Spider Man's Purple works or maybe just give it a low AP cost and a max number of protect tiles you can add. Otherwise even if all they did was shave a few AP off it would still be near useless.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    Jachdo wrote:
    The cover art leaked:

GoldCap_zpsab3039f9.png

if only he was sitting

This is too funny!!!!! So good dude, im still laughing
  • Phaserhawk
    radav wrote:
    What do you guys think would be a good amount of AP for his yellow ability? It's waaaay too high as it stands right now. Maybe it should work similarly to how Spider Man's Purple works or maybe just give it a low AP cost and a max number of protect tiles you can add. Otherwise even if all they did was shave a few AP off it would still be near useless.

In regards to the 2* only and his current power level, I look at current create tiles. BWGS Deceptive Tactics is 11AP, C.Mags magnetic field is 9 to 5AP, Magneto MN Polarity Shift is 11AP.

Now BWGS and Mangeto MN, only change color, not create a protect tile, C.Mags Magnetic Field is just insance so lets skip that.

Sentinel of Liberty costs 19AP right, wayyyyyyyy, too high. However, it does leave fairly strong protect tiles, so lets use 11AP as our base and assume we have a lvl 5 SoL which allows us to create 4 tiles. I think 11 is too cheap, this should be a spell where you want the tiles out not to get yellow tiles, so I think if it was costed around 15AP, it would be high enough you wouldn't spam it for damage, but cheap enough that it is useable
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Is it okay to call the 3* Captain "Lazy" if his other 2 abilities get changed/bettered as his blue one seems to have been?

Maybe we can hope that later on even one of Thors gets a little tweak here and there just to make them a bit different, other than level cap and health and damage scaling that goes with it?
  • Kolence wrote:
    Is it okay to call the 3* Captain "Lazy" if his other 2 abilities get changed/bettered as his blue one seems to have been?

My vote is no, not okay, but I could understand why someone would disagree with me on this particular (sensitive) topic.
  • Kolence wrote:

My vote is no, not okay, but I could understand why someone would disagree with me on this particular (sensitive) topic.

Chances are good the name will stuck even with fairly changed abilities. icon_e_smile.gif

Unless certainly someone comes out with another name that sounds and fits way better and it takes over.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    I don't know why anyone would be surprised. Marvel has a big say in what characters companies can use and what and when they release stuff. New Captain America movie coming out... this shouldn't be a shock.

The complaints aren't that there isn't a new Captain, it's that it is a lazy one. If they want to promote the movie with this they could have put a lot more effort into this version.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Kolence wrote:

Chances are good the name will stuck even with fairly changed abilities. icon_e_smile.gif

Unless certainly someone comes out with another name that sounds and fits way better and it takes over.

If his name and designation is actually Captain America - Steve Rogers than yeah, we're going to need a good nickname anyway... Hopefully new users stay current on the forum abbreviations post!