*** Captain America (Super Soldier) ***

Options

Comments

• Color interference is not a big deal unless you've some kind of game over ability.

First I'm going to assume if you're running a strong character with a game over move, you absolutely can win with him on offense so the fact that your team isn't the most ideal offensive team should not matter so I'm only going to be talking about defense.

For example suppose your team is Hulk/Patch/Punisher. You got a 8, 9, and 10 green AP ability, so you basically have no idea what your defense team will do with green. But that's okay because these abilities are roughly equally powerful when used by the AI (remember AI is not capable of doing the usual cheap tricks with Berserker Rage that a human can), so a team like that works okay even with 3 abilities on green (it probably has other problems beyond that though).

Currently the game over abilities are pretty much:

Red - Star Spangled Avenger
    Yellow - Thunder Strike
    Green - Call the Storm (there's almost no circumstance where Sniper Rifle would be a game over ability on defense but Call the Storm wouldn't be).
    Black - Rage of the Panther

For example, if you have The Hood and Black Panther on the same team, your AI is likely to use Intimidation at 9 AP instead of saving up 12 AP for Rage of the Panther, and there's no way you'd ever want to do that. You're literally throwing away a move that can quite possibly put the game away, so they make a bad team together.

None of The Hood's AP-consuming ability can be considered anywhere near a game over move, so it hardly matters for any conflict there. In the case of Captain America, if you're giving up Captain America's game over move on red, you got to get at least one more game over move in return. This is only possible with Thor. Black Panther loses his black to The Hood. I suppose you could do Captain America/Black Panther/OBW, but The Hood's synergy with Captain's abilities seems overwhelmingly superior for the support role. Note that if you have Captain/Thor/Black Panther, you'd still only have 2 game over attacks, because Thor's red prevents Star Spangled Avenger from being used, and Black Panther's yellow prevents Thunder Strike from being used.
  • Had Cap at 1/1/1 yesterday morning. Decided to buy a 10-Pack because I just got paid, and why not? I got 5 Cap Covers. 5. 3 red, 1 yellow, 1 blue. After the Wolvie tourney ended yesterday, I got another red cover, so overall my cap is at 2/5/2. I love his red, and his blue is pretty nifty now. Yellow is still a **** to even get enough AP to use.

I'm pumped to level him up.
  • I think cap will pair best with gold thor and the hood. Not the greatest combination of all combinations, but that's the best I can think of.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I want the Cap from CA:TWS and not this poor imposter. icon_evil.gif
  • ToryTory
    ToryTory Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm not an advocate of gold heroes, but this Cap is how the 2* should've been. I'm thoroughly enjoying him and currently at 2/4/4. I don't think I'll hit the final red cover from the pve from the point scaling. I've got him at 66 and along with obw And ares, I've won 3/7 defenses.

I'm waiting for more ISO to pump into hood and lcap but I def like the combo. As with most discussion, I don't have a solid third user for defense. Probably just run the buffed char for the event.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ToryTory wrote:
    I'm not an advocate of gold heroes, but this Cap is how the 2* should've been. I'm thoroughly enjoying him and currently at 2/4/4. I don't think I'll hit the final red cover from the pve from the point scaling. I've got him at 66 and along with obw And ares, I've won 3/7 defenses.

I'm waiting for more ISO to pump into hood and lcap but I def like the combo. As with most discussion, I don't have a solid third user for defense. Probably just run the buffed char for the event.

agreed, and IceIX hinted that they may go back and fix the 2* version to this after they see how he does, but my guess is that is low on their priority list.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    ToryTory wrote:

agreed, and IceIX hinted that they may go back and fix the 2* version to this after they see how he does, but my guess is that is low on their priority list.
    That change will be placed on the back-back-backburner once they see how much $ people are dropping on Lazycap (as well as Lazythor). My biggest fear is the Devs only seeing money signs and not being able to resist releasing more lazy chars
  • People drop money on Lazy Thor and Lazy Cap because they're powerful, not because their abilities are lazy. If you got lazy Bagman, there wouldn't be much dollars flowing in unless his ability got totally reworked.

People aren't paying money because they're popular characters in 2* (Captain was never that popular in 2*). They're paying for this because they're powerful characters that are doing way too much damage. The skillset Thor and Captain America is badly needed for 3*, but they shouldn't be doing that kind of damage.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I dropped money for lazy Thor but not cap, mainly because his skills cost too high
  • kensterr wrote:
    I dropped money for lazy Thor but not cap, mainly because his skills cost too high

Thor's powerful skills are 12/14, though his green is vastly discounted if you got his yellow, versus 11 for Captain. That said, forming a team without a red ability under 11 is much harder than forming a team without a green ability under 14 because you still need a green ability on the team somehow unless you're willing to give up arguably the strongest attack color in the game.
  • Phantron wrote:
    People drop money on Lazy Thor and Lazy Cap because they're powerful, not because their abilities are lazy. If you got lazy Bagman, there wouldn't be much dollars flowing in unless his ability got totally reworked.

People aren't paying money because they're popular characters in 2* (Captain was never that popular in 2*). They're paying for this because they're powerful characters that are doing way too much damage. The skillset Thor and Captain America is badly needed for 3*, but they shouldn't be doing that kind of damage.
    Didn't IceIX say 2* Thor and Cap were the two chars that people spent the most HP on apart from 1*s? Also I'm using lazy as a derogatory term, not insinuating that people will buy because of lazy abilities.
  • His abilities only really cost a lot compared to the broken characters like magneto and Spiderman. If you look through red and blue abilities overall they are pretty reasonable. When you factor in the cycling they can turn out to be undercosted depending on how long a fight lasts.

That's the thing, though, how long are fights going to last in the near future? Will it be long enough to cycle the shield three times? Four? I doubt four. Three maybe, but Patch and Mags will still be quicker until the Nerf.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    dlaw008 wrote:
    His abilities only really cost a lot compared to the broken characters like magneto and Spiderman. If you look through red and blue abilities overall they are pretty reasonable. When you factor in the cycling they can turn out to be undercosted depending on how long a fight lasts.

That's the thing, though, how long are fights going to last in the near future? Will it be long enough to cycle the shield three times? Four? I doubt four. Three maybe, but Patch and Mags will still be quicker until the Nerf.

Interesting thought. Cap with Hood speeds up the collection of AP and there is no need to cycle three or four times, the damage on his red is pretty much enough to kill everyone by the time it's cast. And with Hood, you can pretty much guarentee a 3 shield cycle assuming you have enough black. btw here's Cap advice for beginners.

1.) Place shield on edges if you can.
    2.) Watch for a possible 4 or 5 tile match in a row that can destroy your shield.
    3.) When playing Ragnarok, never put your shields in the middle two rows icon_lol.gif
    4.) When playing Hammer or Maggia, if you use blue shield, try to stun a character with the most tiles out,
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cap + Hood + Mags has become my favorite team, with board control for Yellow, Blue, Red, and counter speed-up on Black, and decent damage on Red and Purple.

I've had a 5/5/3 mags for a long time, but I haven't used Mags red in awhile now, so I might aim for 5/3/5 with him.
  • Observation
    Captain America 2* - Sentinel of Liberty L5 - Damage reduced by 150 per Protect Tile for 19 AP / 4 tiles
    Captain America 3* - Sentinel of Liberty L5 - Damage reduced by 289 per Protect Tile for 19 AP / 4 tiles

Suggestion
    Reduce the protect strength of 3* to 2* levels and reduce the AP cost to 11AP and allow for targeting of more types of tiles as it levels (similar to Red/Blue).
    Shouldn't be as broken as C.Mag's Blue either.

Example
    Sentinel of Liberty - Yellow 11 AP
    Captain America courageously rushes to protect the team’s flank. Transforms 2 chosen basic tiles into Yellow Protect tiles, each with a strength of 13.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2 – Increases Protect Strength to 14.
    Level 3 – Increases Protect Strength to 15. Can target Strike, Protect, Attack, and Web tiles.
    Level 4 – Increases Protect Strength to 16.
    Level 5 – Transforms 3 tiles. Can target any tile.
    Max Level: Protect Strength 150 per tile for a total of 450 protected.

Note: Ratio is not at 5:2 like Magnetic Field, but instead at 11:3. Also, makes people consider whether they want to level Yellow compared to Red/Blue instead of just going automatic 3/5/5.
  • One interesting discovery. Unbuffed at level 84 with four red covers, Shieldbro's red attack does 1776 damage.

It seemed so perfect I was kind of sad to level him up from there.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    dlaw008 wrote:
    One interesting discovery. Unbuffed at level 84 with four red covers, Shieldbro's red attack does 1776 damage.

It seemed so perfect I was kind of sad to level him up from there.

I'm definitely keeping him at L84, at least for a while, when I get 4 red for him. I shall yell "AMERICA, B----!" at my phone every time Shieldbro shield-taps some bros.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Some people already have a maxed Captain at 3-5-5, red does 3439 damage, blue protects for 291, yellow leaves 3x 237 protect tiles.
  • After the two rounds times two subs of Heroic Venom + Cap offered again as prizes in the DA tourney, by next week, who won't have a 3/5/5 covered 3*** Cap?
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    I'm worried that during the next big PvE if you don't have a fully levled 3/5/5 you are gonna be in deep doodoo