Feature Info: S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels *Updated

Comments

• madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    If we could pick our matchmaking then it would take maaaaaaaaaaaaybe ten minutes for 5*-tier trolls to start jumping into lower-level brackets just to mangle all the transitioning players.

I'm sure nothing like that would ever happen on the internet. People are too nice for that.
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    If we could pick our matchmaking then it would take maaaaaaaaaaaaybe ten minutes for 5*-tier trolls to start jumping into lower-level brackets just to mangle all the transitioning players.
    Heck, it might not even require a mindset of trolling. Weak awards for the next event? Maybe you'd be better off dropping brackets and steamrolling transitioners to farm ISO for the next couple of days. That idea could get ugly in so many ways.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    xKOBALTx wrote:
    Heck, it might not even require a mindset of trolling. Weak awards for the next event? Maybe you'd be better off dropping brackets and steamrolling transitioners to farm ISO for the next couple of days. That idea could get ugly in so many ways.
    you're not fighting different teams. it only affects your placement brackets and your progression awards. not your queues. if you don't want cho as an award, fine. you can choose something like mystique or patch or whatever the 3* award is for the mid-brackets. doesn't mean you'll be queueing 3* teams, only bracketed with them and will have a lower iso/hp/cover level in your progressions. clearance level does not change your mmr.

edit: although, inherently, higher rosters can score higher (general terms), so placing higher in a 3* clearance level might virtually guarantee you 3-3* covers, depends on what it looks like when it hits.
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    you're not fighting different teams. it only affects your placement brackets and your progression awards. not your queues. if you don't want cho as an award, fine. you can choose something like mystique or patch or whatever the 3* award is for the mid-brackets. doesn't mean you'll be queueing 3* teams, only bracketed with them and will have a lower iso/hp/cover level in your progressions. clearance level does not change your mmr.

edit: although, inherently, higher rosters can score higher (general terms), so placing higher in a 3* clearance level might virtually guarantee you 3-3* covers, depends on what it looks like when it hits.
    We understand that. It was an earlier poster upset that choosing a lower bracket didn't give them lower matches. Crooked and I were pointing out some more than likely ill side effects if that had been the case.

See:
    slidecage wrote:
    that is just plain stupid.. if i want to pick a lower level i should be fighting lower opponet. this new set does nothing to save the game
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards

if lower brackets only gave you say 3 stars why would people who want 4 and 5 stars be jumping in the brackets.

if i have to do 6 clears to get top 10 either level 4 or level 7. why would i ever pick level 4 if playing will mean i have to fight the same rank AI for less rewards

they should of just done pure progression only and did away with ranking rewards and made what level you play gave you the rewards.

i dont see this system being any better then the system that is out now

if 6 clears needed to get top 10 says in level 5 gives you

2 4 stars and 3 3 stars

if 6 clears are needed to get top 10 in level 3 but gives you

2 3 stars

why would anyone play level 3
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    It should be fairly obvious why they reduced the rank needed for all clearance levels, fragmentation. 5 slices with 7 clearance levels and the fewest number of players qualifying for the highest clearance level, they may never have had a full clearance level 7 bracket in each time slice
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    if lower brackets only gave you say 3 stars why would people who want 4 and 5 stars be jumping in the brackets.

Because people are jerks, especially when they're on the Internet.

Or, if you insist on a practical reason:

Because it's too frustrating to slog through fights with 4- and 5-star characters and you'd rather take it easy even for lower rewards.
    Because the high clearance rewards aren't covers you actually need, and you'd just sell them.
    Because you can get more ISO from winning as many fights as you can enter than from the higher event rewards.
    Because you don't have the patience or HP or high-tier 4- and 5-star characters to place well in a high clearance level, but can still dominate a lower one. If you'd be outside the top 100 in level 7 but could make a run a top 5 in level 5, you might actually end up with comparable rewards for less effort (as long as a bunch of other people don't try the same thing).
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    If we've all got the update, is it possible to have some Lightning Rounds to try out the new Clearance Levels?
  • Suddenreal
    Suddenreal Posts: 92 Match Maker
    slidecage wrote:

Because it's too frustrating to slog through fights with 4- and 5-star characters and you'd rather take it easy even for lower rewards.
    Because the high clearance rewards aren't covers you actually need, and you'd just sell them.
    Because you can get more ISO from winning as many fights as you can enter than from the higher event rewards.
    Because you don't have the patience or HP or high-tier 4- and 5-star characters to place well in a high clearance level, but can still dominate a lower one. If you'd be outside the top 100 in level 7 but could make a run a top 5 in level 5, you might actually end up with comparable rewards for less effort (as long as a bunch of other people don't try the same thing).

Except
    Currently, different Clearance Levels do not change the characters that you play with or against, or the mission difficulty.

So, you'd only take a lower level when you don't need a certain cover. You won't be able to take it easy, you won't win more fights, and you won't get placed higher in a lower level.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Herald wrote:
    If we've all got the update, is it possible to have some Lightning Rounds to try out the new Clearance Levels?
    Lightning rounds and the DDQ won't have clearance levels.
    Besides, I don't Think I have the update yet...
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Based on the roster levels I have in my household this change makes no sense.

I am 58 - no max level 4*'s yet, but close, and have two 6-cover and a 5-cover 5*. I see top for now - but maybe not top overall with 10 levels.

My wife is 45ish. She has 3 or 4 champed 3*'s and highest 4* has 4 or 5 covers (she has 20 pulls worth of LT's and CP's combined saved - since I read the forums she knows getting a 5* will bork her difficulty). She should not be challenging for 4*'s or competing in the highest bracket. It made sense to me at 50 threshold - she will be close to pulling those tokens when she hits that mark.

My son is high 20's (28 or 29). His highest character is a 3* around 120. He in no way should be anywhere close to top level - and should be at least 2-3 below that. Again, first pass made sense, now one doesn't.

I'd like to see prizes - but this update makes me like this less, it does not seem to demarcate correctly the levels people are at.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just because you CAN access max clearance level doesn't mean you HAVE to
  • i believe the lowering of the required levels is to open the opportunity for higher awards to more players as a sort of grandfathering measure. imagine the howl of complaints that would have come from people gated out of the new better progression awards.

it will be interesting to see how high those last three levels will be set (50,70,90 for example) and just how much better the rewards will be.

and as was pointed out, just because you can doesnt mean you must and how many times might people opt for lower clearance level prizes when iw or chulk come up as 4 star awards at the higher levels?
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:

1... how the AI is the same level so you will not be fighting 4 and 5 star if ranking does not depend on your level you pick
    2.. does not add up since people could use them to champ
    3, how can you get more ISO if your playing the same number of rounds
    4. same your playing the same number of rounds to get the same rank

you have to do 6 clears to make top 50 on level 5
    you have to do 6 clears to make top 50 to level 3

if the AI is just as stong on both you will never do 3
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Suddenreal wrote:
    Except
    Currently, different Clearance Levels do not change the characters that you play with or against, or the mission difficulty.

So, you'd only take a lower level when you don't need a certain cover. You won't be able to take it easy, you won't win more fights, and you won't get placed higher in a lower level.

Yes, and I'm giving examples of why the system would be totally tinykittied if they made it so PvP would only match you with people in your clearance level.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    easy. I guarantee you that unless the hp/iso/cp is significantly better in cl7, any event that has rewards of: cho, susan, Elektra, etc...any covers I'd just trash...I'd much prefer playing for multiple 3* covers to add champ levels, especially if its a solid 3* character. if we're talking double resources, I probably stick with cl7. if we're talking a 10% bump, I probably choose to play for the 3s (over playing for 4* covers I'd have to trash anyway).
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess PvP season placement could get odd if people just destroy in lower brackets to rack up season score...
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    jackstar0 wrote:
    I guess PvP season placement could get odd if people just destroy in lower brackets to rack up season score...

they won't be able to jack up scores. bakers and cc are needed to provide the points to the shard. most of the better players who coordinate will all play high tier events.

I could be be wrong and its all speculation on my part, but you will consistently see the highest scores concentrated in SCL7 and the lowest in SCL1.

I think you will see the best individual, Agg total of bracket, highest top 10 in the SCL 7 classes and scores will drop all around as you decrease in levels.

D3 could settle many philosphical arguments by releasing metrics on the types of players and rosters who play in each level and avg scores
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Phumade wrote:
    jackstar0 wrote:

they won't be able to jack up scores. bakers and cc are needed to provide the points to the shard. most of the better players who coordinate will all play high tier events.

I could be be wrong and its all speculation on my part, but you will consistently see the highest scores concentrated in SCL7 and the lowest in SCL1.

I think you will see the best individual, Agg total of bracket, highest top 10 in the SCL 7 classes and scores will drop all around as you decrease in levels.

D3 could settle many philosphical arguments by releasing metrics on the types of players and rosters who play in each level and avg scores

But who you are matched with does not change based on which Level you choose. If you play in Level 1 you will be matched with the same people as if you decide to play in Level 7. Matchmaking is independent of level chosen. Only the prizes will vary by level as I understand it.

Ending times determine the group of people you will be matched with across all levels. That should mean the same matchmaking as now.
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Suddenreal wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

Except

So, to sum it up. As far as PvP goes, Clearence levels are a complete waste of time.