*** Iron Man (Model 40) ***

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    He's been waiting for a fix for a long time, and you guys did say you would retool his kit.

I know you guys have other things higher up on your list, but I love how his kit works, it's a ton of fun to play, it's just not good... please fix, as promised.

(just a reminder.)

Thanks!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Having him buffed in ISO-8.. i find he is much more useful than people give him credit for.. Mine is 4/4/4 (just how covers fell).. and he is helping me massacre people.. at 4 covers, his yellow ( i only use when i don't see yellow matches available on the board) has helped me clear many a sub.. and his red and blue when teammates go down, can win matches.

Take away a little of the AP drain and lessen the cost of abilities by a touch, and he is perfect.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Haetron wrote:
    The yellow is generally viewed as his one good power, I think, and looking at the loaner version, I tend to agree. Leave it alone, fix the Red and Blue powers. They either need a cost cut, with the AP drain left in, or the AP drain taken out completely. I think they tried to balance him being able to self charge his own powers, but it's simply not worth undercutting your other characters, especially with how expensive they are.

Yellow is only really good at 1 or 2 covers though, as it becomes too overpriced beyond that. This has been mentioned before, but it would be great if they made it so that you could still trigger lower levels of it at higher covers. For example, if you had 6 yellow AP, the tiles created would only make red, but if you had 10 AP they would make blue and green as well.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    No shot at that ever EEEEEEEVER happening. You did see where Hood was passed over for HP buff and is now a 5100 point target on his back wuss right? A no board requirement Hood with 9690 HP is not ever going to fly, sorry.

I agree Lerysh no way he should get AP steal. That is usually a blue ability, yellow is for AP generation. To support why IM40 shouldn't steal AP:

Hood's ability is AP steal which is way better because 1.) Passive 2.) It will almost always work when you have 5 covers for at least one color on the board 3.) The only effective way to prevent it is to kill him fast 4.) it steals...which is twice as good as generating because you are denying AP to the opposing team.

IM40 needs yellow AP which you can try to deny by matching yellow for yourself. He then puts down 3 turn countdown tiles which can be matched/manipulated. If and when any of those counters do go off he stuns himself for 2 rounds. I would say this puts enough layers to make his AP generation risky and random. Hood doesn't have that so yes he should be squishy otherwise his AP steal would be ridiculous if he had decent health.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Haetron wrote:
    The yellow is generally viewed as his one good power, I think, and looking at the loaner version, I tend to agree. Leave it alone, fix the Red and Blue powers. They either need a cost cut, with the AP drain left in, or the AP drain taken out completely. I think they tried to balance him being able to self charge his own powers, but it's simply not worth undercutting your other characters, especially with how expensive they are.

Yellow is only really good at 1 or 2 covers though, as it becomes too overpriced beyond that. This has been mentioned before, but it would be great if they made it so that you could still trigger lower levels of it at higher covers. For example, if you had 6 yellow AP, the tiles created would only make red, but if you had 10 AP they would make blue and green as well.

That seems like a really flawed design in that his lower level skill is "better" because his higher levels are overly expensive compared to what you get. Unlike for OBW for example where it is more a preference with her purple color for example as some people like 3 covers for quicker AP steal and some like 5 for more complete AP steal, no one prefers 5 covers for IM40 for his yellow ability because it is straight up way worse. That is bad design, hence why it needs tweaking.

I like the selective idea Ebola but I don't think the game mechanics allow you to have multiple selections. It would add a totally new and complex feature to the game that designers probably don't want to navigate.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The entire idea of "Let me charge my AP but take 2 turns of free hits" was a dumb idea from the start. When he was released, I still can't see why he would do that except for the fact he had really high damage for that time. Game has since changed greatly since his release while he has remained the same. Him, Punisher, and GSBW. 3 Relics of a time long past that need to be rebalanced more so than any of the remaining characters from that era (GSBW not so much).
  • Unknown
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:
    Haetron wrote:

That seems like a really flawed design in that his lower level skill is "better" because his higher levels are overly expensive compared to what you get. Unlike for OBW for example where it is more a preference with her purple color for example as some people like 3 covers for quicker AP steal and some like 5 for more complete AP steal, no one prefers 5 covers for IM40 for his yellow ability because it is straight up way worse. That is bad design, hence why it needs tweaking.

I like the selective idea Ebola but I don't think the game mechanics allow you to have multiple selections. It would add a totally new and complex feature to the game that designers probably don't want to navigate.
    its a recharge u can recharge less for less sounds good to me
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    That takes away the one good things about im40 which is changing yellowflag.png into redflag.png and blueflag.png
  • I suggested this in another thread, but I really think there's two ways to fix this.

The easy way:
    Keep redflag.pngblueflag.png powers as they are, except slash his initial AP cost, or the additional AP drain. Change his yellowflag.png to generate protect tiles at rank 3 when the countdown ends, and then shift the 4 green AP to cover rank 4, and the Purple Black Gain on Cover Rank 5. This makes him a slight upgrade in similarity to one star iron man as well, with his blue being a stun and yellow being a protect tile maker.

The more difficult, but enteraining way:

Keep his redflag.pngblueflag.png as they are, with the option to do less damage without the AP drain, or more damage with the AP drain or added effects. How? Copy the tech from Deadpools Whales ability, and instead have IM40 pop up with "FIRE ALL WEAPONS?" prompt to expend the extra AP but do the extra damage/effects. Keep the yellow change from the above method as well.

The trick with either way is still going to be balancing the numbers of course, which Im not anywhere qualified to suggest.
  • Not long until the yellow comes up on DDQ.

Mine currently has 1 yellowflag.png cover. I'm thinking that going above 2 yellowflag.png covers is not an optimum build and it seems from the poll that a decent number of people agree with me. Question is whether 1 cover or 2 covers is the optimal? 9 Red AP for 6 Yellow AP is a pretty good deal and allows for some fast Optic Blasts in a PvP.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd keep it at 1
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like mine at 2 but I exclusively pair him with LCap (since my 4* Thor is still 0/3/3). 1 yellow gives you much more flexibility in team selection.
  • Some unexpectedly quick and helpful responses! Here take my upvotes.

Guess I'm leaving it at 1 yellowflag.png . It's not as if there won't be plenty more opportunities to level him later if I decide to pair him with a blue user.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anyone else experiencing Ironman stunning himself before all 3 recharge tiles resolve?

It's **** me.
  • He stuns after the first tile resolves, regardless of the number in play, the others should still resolve and add AP, and not increase the stun round count however.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah I should have worded it better. At rare times 1 or 2 tiles will not go off after the first one does. The remaining tiles have to wait until the stun is over. I'm not using Intimidate at all and I don't think there are any enemies in this event that affect countdowns. Right?
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That happens when one of his CDs ticks twice on the same turn. It's usually because of another character's CD that can cause cascades and drop one of his CDs enough rows so it activates a second time that turn. Maybe SW caused a cascade? Or mnMags? Those are the most likely culprits in my experience... icon_lol.gif
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kolence wrote:
    That happens when one of his CDs ticks twice on the same turn. It's usually because of another character's CD that can cause cascades and drop one of his CDs enough rows so it activates a second time that turn. Maybe SW caused a cascade? Or mnMags? Those are the most likely culprits in my experience... icon_lol.gif
    Yeah, that happens with characters that spawn multiple CD tiles, like Loki, Hawkeye, etc. It's cool when it benefits me, but hate it when it benefits the AI...
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With champed up IM40 giving Hulkbusters, I wonder if it's finally worthwhile to bring him to 166 after keeping him at 5/5/2 (he and Lazy Steve have otherwise been too valuable in PVE for me to change IM40). My guess is that it's not worthwhile, because the number of covers seems prohibitively high to farm HBs -- thoughts?
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll be interested in seeing what they do to IM40 in the next round of 3* buffs. I bit the bullet and added the third yellow with the hopes of him being buffed to usable soon and the premise of HB covers down the road (maybe quickly if he is buffed well).