*** Iron Man (Model 40) ***

Comments

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    if you had to choose because if iso shortage, who would you max first?

- im40(12 covers, 5 yellow) because he is support and only lvl55
    - lcap(13 covers, not optimal), to tank?
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    thx, i will max both, but wasnt sure who first
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    I'd say IM40 first. AP battery with cheap cost is useful in both PvP and PvE. But LCap is largely used in PvE only.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    New Iron Man 5/3/5 is so sweet now!
  • Hanzo0313
    Hanzo0313 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    My God, IM40 is really a Nuclear power generator now.

Paired him with Cmag, 3*Cycolop, even GSBW with 5 Yellow...6 tiles almost collected no more than 3 turns after the game started, then the game is almost over with 12B+12R+9Green!

LCap, KK, any one needs RBG are hugely benefited.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    ice ice baby...

im40 might jump ahead of xpool, thing, and rulk (12 covers) after I finish cyke.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    For awhile, I've told myself I wouldn't take the game seriously until they fixed IM40. People have been asking for it for about 2 years. This looks like a very good fix, so I'll probably need to update all the stats pages and start analyzing this game again. I'll definitely need to finish leveling him up and figure out new combos with him.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Welcome back, Nonce!!

I've been trying out all sorts of IM40 groups since yesterday and think his retooling - particularly the usefulness of his yellow to any group - is a very welcome and refreshing shakeup to the current meta.
  • Crushing it with Iron Man's yellow.. Like everyone said, pair him with 3Cap.

4 turns in and we're hurling shields.

For even more overkill, make Hood the 3rd and start subtracting Cap's/IM40's countdown

Unlimited redflag.pngblueflag.png
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    He is also a good partner for Cmags.

Besides since his update, is 5/3/5 the new way to go?
  • So, this is like IM40 should be. GREAT!
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I played him as I have it 132 - 5/4/4 with 4hor and they are crazy together, when the first recharge goes off you have almost won, 4hor starts with blue, you get more yellow, cast recharge again, the fire smite, more blue, etc, etc. then other team dies.

He is probably the best battery in the game right now, not as powerful as 4 cyclops, but much better as a battery, and because he has a lot of hitpoints he also plays well with 4s.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also like that AI won't play him optimally too. much like 4cyke or cage. a person will prioritize yellow asap and take every available match in the first few moves but the AI will rarely do that. LRs have shown that. he's a great support that doesn't really jack up difficulty in the AIs hands like hood or witch (hard to mess those up).

edit: really glad this can't be sent as a team-up. that would be crazy.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Black Duke wrote:

I actually like 4/4/5! 5K red, almost 3K AOE, good to have in case Steve goes down.
  • Black Duke wrote:

I actually like 4/4/5! 5K red, almost 3K AOE, good to have in case Steve goes down.

Also, depending on your third, running 5/4/4 or 4/5/4 is pretty doable.

Mainly if the third isn't using purple for anything, like Hood or w/e.
  • With the reduced cost of his blue, and the increased generation... I'm actually enjoying 5 blueflag.png for IM40 now. The damage on 5 redflag.png is also awesome though... It purely depends who you're bringing him with.

He's one of the few characters in the game where there isn't an obvious best build now. Internal balance for the win!
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    I, for one, have consistently sung IM40's praises even before the update. Now, after the update... wow. I mean, WOW!
    With the reduced cost of his blue, and the increased generation... I'm actually enjoying 5 blueflag.png for IM40 now. The damage on 5 redflag.png is also awesome though... It purely depends who you're bringing him with.

He's one of the few characters in the game where there isn't an obvious best build now. Internal balance for the win!

And yes, it poses a real interesting balance now. Maximum charge, maximum mass damage to a single target, or maximum good damage to the entire team. It's a good problem to have.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mine is currently 4/4/5 as that is how the covers have turned up, but it seems like a good balance for me since I mostly use him as a battery and just use his blue if another stun isn't needed and his red if LCap is dead.
  • Over a year of playing, and whenever Yelena shows up in PVE I'm always just "Psh, ignore her. She ain't a threat at all"

Playing The Hulk event using IM40 and LCap, though, and having Payback Mission totally destroy my Recharges and Shields

Oh.

She's jumped up the threat list. More then she ever deserved to, at least.

(Still p. simple since it takes a ton of black, but I sure as heck ain't matching it)
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    At first I thought his blue wouldn't be that useful, but it turned out I was wrong. Even without stun, the cheaper cost, higher damage and destroying more tiles make up for it. Also blue and red doesn't consume each other AP anymore, so you can use both without worrying too much (unless your team rely on other three colors) I like how his red can now one-shot a character down.

There is really no best build for him, imo. He's a great support character that you should champion so you can modify his power to suit your team.