Lone Star Skirmish

Options

Comments

• Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    I guess I'm the odd man out then with regards to this tournament. I'm not fond of the lack of variation, there's 5 viable characters to use, and most people didn't level up Juggs or Venom, so it's almost entirely IM35/Widow/Storm... and boring. Every fight is rush to 5 red, nuke board, reap in cascades, try to get 10 green, and either you've gotten off Thorned Rose (assuming Jungle) by then and gone bananas, or you're doing a retaliation on another node and just trying to kill their Storm before things go stupid. Then stun, slam down Widow with Iron Man's abilities, and stunlock IM35 while you gather up enough AP again (which isn't hard given Storm) for the finishing touch.

I just like the variation of other tournaments, people mixing this hero with that for a surprisingly strong deterrent. I feel like we all have buttons to kill each other in this tournament, and the question is who and when.

Yeah fully agreeing with you on this one (guess it makes us two odds icon_e_biggrin.gif).

It's pretty much always the same thing and get tiring. I also tend to find the lenght of the fights to be too slow and too long for my liking.

I would like a 1star tournament where every one star was buffed in it tho or even better a tournament with every 1star buffed 200% but where the others characters would be available for use (but not buffed). You'd have the choice between your regular crew or a buffed 1 star.
  • Fighting a fair match, or mirror match, I don't mind.

What I do mind is the extreme lack of health packs, and I find myself needing to use at least one after every match.

Basically, the matches themselves are fun, and interesting. It's dealing with the aftermath that isn't.
  • It's a boring tournament. There's no variation in characters, levels, covers, etc. It's okay once in awhile and I'm enjoying using my 1* again, but it should definitely not be a regular thing.
  • Ive been holding 1-2 in my bracket pretty well running a 50 IM 50 m.Storm and a 35 Venom...i refuse to give him his 5th purple cover the 4 ap stuns are too tempting finding this team efficient enough to win a few rounds without needing healthpacks which is the real limiting factor in this event I think
  • I really like the 1 star tournament idea, and I've even had fun reliving old times. As others have noted, though, there really is lack of variety. I wouldn't mind if they released a couple new one star heroes or villains and regularly scheduled this event. That would be pretty fun, and still give newish players a chance to participate at a different level.
  • There's a lack of variety because Juggernaut and Modern Storm have way overpowered abilities for a 1*. A level 200 modern Storm or Juggernaut would be amongst the top 5 most dangerous characters the AI can use (subtract 30 levels to account for 1* stats are equivlaent of higher star rarity heroes). But it's not really different from on the higher end there's also only about 5 characters you tend to see and it should even be less if it was as easy to get covers for 3* compared to 1*.
  • 10 hours to go and I'm barely holding onto top 5, which is my aim for this tourney. I need them Psylockes. And I definitely agree that it's just a race to 10 red/green and race to kill Storm or else you're not in good shape.
  • Emeryt wrote:
    I'm shielded at #2 for 24hrs. Dug my way up to 659pts.
    #1 is at 761 currently, unshielded, but he got +200pts in the last 2hrs, so he'll probably go even higher.
    them it's 658, 611, 556, 536 all shielded. Hopefully I'll end in top5, but top15 is also fine.

Lol funny thing - 8hrs later and I'm #1, the guy who was at #1 is gone from top10. I see some people started grinding, so maybe I'll woke up near the end of the tourney and try my luck with 1 fight.
  • I've been checking on and off all day, nobody in my bracket has managed to climb past 500, I'm guessing that piranha pit started sooner than I thought. Guess I'll sit pretty in first then... knock on wood.
  • Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    I've been checking on and off all day, nobody in my bracket has managed to climb past 500, I'm guessing that piranha pit started sooner than I thought. Guess I'll sit pretty in first then... knock on wood.

Yup, the whole tourney is going to come down to who can sprint the farthest and successfully shield past 500 before the zombie horde catches them.

With the 8 hour mark coming up, I'm tempted to make a run for 600 and slam the shield button (if I get that far) and watch the mayhem for the rest of the night.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    I guess I'm the odd man out then with regards to this tournament. I'm not fond of the lack of variation, there's 5 viable characters to use, and most people didn't level up Juggs or Venom, so it's almost entirely IM35/Widow/Storm... and boring. Every fight is rush to 5 red, nuke board, reap in cascades, try to get 10 green, and either you've gotten off Thorned Rose (assuming Jungle) by then and gone bananas, or you're doing a retaliation on another node and just trying to kill their Storm before things go stupid. Then stun, slam down Widow with Iron Man's abilities, and stunlock IM35 while you gather up enough AP again (which isn't hard given Storm) for the finishing touch.

I just like the variation of other tournaments, people mixing this hero with that for a surprisingly strong deterrent. I feel like we all have buttons to kill each other in this tournament, and the question is who and when.

I disagree. I think most people who've been playing longer than two months have a pretty decent Juggernaut.

You weren't around for the Juggs tournament, it seems.

As for Venom, he's a much better choice than Widow for this tournament. Widow has one viable power that uses the same AP as IM's nuke. IM/Storm/Venom gives you a rainbow that's viable to use.

Devour over Hailstorm, of course.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Ive been holding 1-2 in my bracket pretty well running a 50 IM 50 m.Storm and a 35 Venom...i refuse to give him his 5th purple cover the 4 ap stuns are too tempting finding this team efficient enough to win a few rounds without needing healthpacks which is the real limiting factor in this event I think

The fifth cover is worth it. Getting that free turn lets you set up cascades (if you have the foresight to see what you can do in two moves).
  • Kelbris wrote:
    I disagree. I think most people who've been playing longer than two months have a pretty decent Juggernaut.

You weren't around for the Juggs tournament, it seems.

As for Venom, he's a much better choice than Widow for this tournament. Widow has one viable power that uses the same AP as IM's nuke. IM/Storm/Venom gives you a rainbow that's viable to use.

Devour over Hailstorm, of course.

While that's a nice thought, there's zilch reason to level Juggernaut outside of the tournament where he was buffed, and the 1* tournament. Looking through people's rosters, very few people bother to actually level him past their first few days of playtime if they pull covers for him.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    The fifth cover is worth it. Getting that free turn lets you set up cascades (if you have the foresight to see what you can do in two moves).
    I think standalone, 5 purple is better, especially with the Devour nerf. With Spidey however, I'd say 4 purple is better.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    I think standalone, 5 purple is better, especially with the Devour nerf. With Spidey however, I'd say 4 purple is better.

I found 4 purple very good for feeding greens to Storm. It is a very rare ability that generates a new tile color, instead of just applying a special tile over an existing one. Also much better to stunlock the last opponent standing, wich is usually Juggs.

I shielded at 709 with a final team of IM35 lvl 40, Storm 32 and Venom 30. Needless to say I had to play hit and run with shields, the last time exposing myself for 2 matches made me being attacked twice, few seconds after I reshielded icon_e_confused.gif
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Options
    I soooo cant motivate myself to do this icon_e_sad.gif

all I see is max lvl 1stars and mine just.. arnt.

Lets hope there will be another chance for more Psylocke covers :3
  • nihilium wrote:
    I soooo cant motivate myself to do this icon_e_sad.gif

all I see is max lvl 1stars and mine just.. arnt.

Lets hope there will be another chance for more Psylocke covers :3

Yep, ditto. That and I just had two of the most frustrating wipes in a long time. Not gonna happen it seems. Storm lives at 1 health? Ok guess I don't get another turn and die, cool.
  • IM35's defense tiles are pretty sweet at low levels. Wish I would've kept him now. icon_cry.gif
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    IM35's defense tiles are pretty sweet at low levels. Wish I would've kept him now. icon_cry.gif

Yup, IM35 Yellow at 5 = 4 * 14 defense tiles = 56 damage mitigation for a very cheap 3 yellow matches, 2 with a boost.

That pretty much negates anything except IM35's red and MStorm's green tile matches to all but 1 point of damage. Given that red and green should be first priority to keep away from the opposing MStorm anyway....

If you really want to ensure that MStorm dies quick, use a +20% X-Men boost. Outside of a incredibly lucky cascade, she'll never get anything off... ever.

Dropped a 3h shield at 700. I'm pretty much golden at this point, at least for the 3 Psylocke covers. I'm 180 over 6th place at the moment in my bracket.
  • Played this for about two hours max, got bored, fought up to over 400, 8 hr shielded in 30th. Hoping that's good enough for top 50, we'll see. I like Psylocke's black, so one black cover for 150 HP, if I hold my top 50, seems reasonable.