Lone Star Skirmish

Options

Comments

• Toxicadam wrote:
    Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    Hulk would be a nightmare to fight against 1v1 (on defense of course).

That's what I was thinking. Either him or Doom would be the best 1 v 1 character.

Yup. Both can tank and deal moderate damage.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Kamahl-FoK wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Either him or Doom would be the best 1 v 1 character.

Pretty sure Spider-Man would be the best.

Edit: Unless you're taking clear time into account, but Hulk wouldn't win any prizes there either.
  • Ghast wrote:
    Riggy wrote:
    starsrift wrote:
    I'm gonna cry if Psylocke is the reward, 'cause I think her ability set looks awesome and I only have M. Storm and Widow. icon_e_sad.gif
    I suppose since I avoided all the Jugg covers in the Prologue I could get one of him, but then I'd have to feed him ISO and get him a character slot and everything. :/
    Odds are she won't be a reward in the PVP event. You'll most likely be able to get a cover of her as a progression reward in pve and there'll be a node in one of the subs that requires her - a reward for those who busted their butts in her release tourney.

The Hulk event suggests otherwise. Punisher became available as a Reward in The Hunt just before the Hulk event kicked off. A few missions required him that I could not complete - until I won him as a reward in a tournament taking place during the first Hulk event. That is no guarantee that they will also offer Psylocke as a tourney reward while Episode 4 goes on, but past precedent exists.
    Your anecdote supports my statement. The Hunt was a PVE event, while Lone Star is PVP (in which she will not make an appearance). What you're saying is exactly what I'm saying - that Psylocke will be a progression reward in the Black Panther PVE and will then be required for a non-linear node (so as not to totally block advancement) in one of the subs.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Celerity wrote:
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Kamahl-FoK wrote:

Spider-Man would be good in terms of being able to win the fight, but think about how long it'll take to actually win the fight. You're going to be relying on Spidey's match 3 damage, which means ~150 damage a turn at level 141. Hulk at level 141 has 9.8khp, which means 65 turns of matching in order to kill him. Keeping that up for the entire tournament would take forever to make any progress.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I still remember when they did the first 1-star tournament. Up to that point I only had 4 maxxed out 1-star heroes (IM 35, M. Storm, MBW, and Jugg), and I had a real hard time getting good rankings in all the tournaments, like Red Iso-8, etc. Then they had this one-star tournament, and I couldn't believe how well I was doing! I think I ended up top 3, when before in anything else a top 50 placement was an accomplishment.

I thought it was because everyone else was too high a level to care about a little 1-star tournament, only to find out later it was because most players had sold their 1-star heroes for roster spots lol.

Ever since then I've kept 3 of my 1-star heroes icon_e_biggrin.gif Unfortunately I did sell my maxxed Jugg, I'll have to see if the rewards this time around are worth it, but at the very least I will be using IM 35, Storm, and BW to get some ISO!

[EDIT] Just noticed that people are thinking maybe this is a single-hero tournament instead of a 1-star tournament. In that case, I would think Patch or Hulk, beyond that, any maxed level hero, because match damage will count for a lot.
  • Spider-Man would be good in terms of being able to win the fight, but think about how long it'll take to actually win the fight. You're going to be relying on Spidey's match 3 damage, which means ~150 damage a turn at level 141. Hulk at level 141 has 9.8khp, which means 65 turns of matching in order to kill him. Keeping that up for the entire tournament would take forever to make any progress.

It's less than that on average because you only have 3 colors you're strong in and given a fight that long, you'll obviously run out of your strong colors relatively quickly and have to go to the weak colors.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    1v1 sounds interesting but I hope not seriously good prizes. Want to have fun and not stress out.

Hulk or Patch for me. Patch obviously is the best there is.
  • Celerity wrote:

Edit: Unless you're taking clear time into account, but Hulk wouldn't win any prizes there either.

I've had situations where Spider Man was the last man standing and it was pretty painful to down the other enemy.
  • A 1 cover tourney would definitely take all our ap thieves out of competition. OBW hood etc etc
    Spidey would be out of the question. Way too slow.

You need a combo of speed and defense. Covers that come to mind are
    Thor
    Hulk
    Ragnarok (hate all you want but 6 red for 1k damage and some green + huge health pool. Not bad
    Dr D
    Patch
    Possibly a low yellow im40 pumping out mass red ap to himself
    Ares
    Punisher
    Mags c
  • A 1 cover tourney would definitely take all our ap thieves out of competition. OBW hood etc etc

Thor
    Hulk
    Ragnarok (hate all you want but 6 red for 1k damage and some green + huge health pool. Not bad
    Dr D
    Patch
    Ares
    Punisher
    Mags c

Doom is a race to black with the option to use blue to get to black.
    C. Magneto is a race to purple or a sprint to blue, depending on your build.
    Hulk with 5 black and 5 green just sits there while you tickle him. Then he starts clapping.
  • I doubt they would do a 1v1 tournament though, although it's fun to have the conversation. The game has always been about creating teams with interlocking abilities/powers.

Maybe a possibility is that you are required to carry one 1-star character on your team of three.
  • Ghast wrote:
    A 1 cover tourney would definitely take all our ap thieves out of competition. OBW hood etc etc

Thor
    Hulk
    Dr D
    Patch
    Ares
    Punisher
    Mags c

Doom is a race to black with the option to use blue to get to black.
    C. Magneto is a race to purple or a sprint to blue, depending on your build.
    Hulk with 5 black and 5 green just sits there while you tickle him. Then he starts clapping.

Hulk with high black is the favorite for me also. But he needs 4-5 black to be all that great. My lvl 102 5/3/2 probably wouldn't be too great. A lot of people aren't even in that good if a situation.

I was just thinking of all the seemingly viable people for this style of tourney.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Patch vs Patch

"**** **** **** GET REDS"
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    If C.Storm had a bit more max hp, she would be on that list. She could be lethal once you got her down below 50% health.
  • Anonymous
    Options
    If no mag nerf then ill just use 3/5/5 c mag and spam his red and if i build up 10 purple ap randomly then its game.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    If C.Storm had a bit more max hp, she would be on that list. She could be lethal once you got her down below 50% health.

Ooph, wow, yeah, I forgot about that. That'd be disgusting quite frankly.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    edited February 2014
    Options
    This is a one star tournament. It wouldn't say "one star is all you need" if it was 1v1. Heroes are never referred to as stars.

The devs probably changed the name to go with the current Alliteration Admiration thing they have going on
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Actually now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Patch is by far the best 1v1er. Best there is matches all the tiles on board so he can near 1shot characters like Hulk and 5 yellow makes it extremely hard to punch through his defenses. Those 2 abilities alone make him have a huge advantage over everyone else.
  • Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    Toxicadam wrote:

Ooph, wow, yeah, I forgot about that. That'd be disgusting quite frankly.

Yeah but he's right about the health. Rags could easily knock her down to 60%. Pop a red. Pop a green. Takes maybe 500 damage and it's over.
  • Actually now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Patch is by far the best 1v1er. Best there is matches all the tiles on board so he can near 1shot characters like Hulk and 5 yellow makes it extremely hard to punch through his defenses. Those 2 abilities alone make him have a huge advantage over everyone else.

I didn't think about that either. Pretty scary actually.