Unusable covers for characters at less than 13 covers

Comments

• donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Crowl wrote:
    donietsche wrote:
    In that scenario, you could always a) simply sell the character; b) therefore, not get the covers that you invested/stored and (c) be able to keep the roster slot.

Of course everyone would love this option to be entirely free, but let's assume that this will not be the case (should the feature ever be introduced): 1k hp is the "worst case scenario" (=the highest cost we could think of), should a fee be required to deconstruct.

It is not a worst case scenario it is an utterly ludicrous one that harshly punishes people who have already been punished by RNG in the first place.

I agree with you, but here I'm trying to play the devil's advocate: i.e., we can assume that some kind of fee could be introduced in order to benefit from this option (if it will ever happen).

I also agree about the fact that losing entirely the roster slot (up to 1k hp) is probably too much, but you must also admit that it could be one of the possibilities (the worst case scenario).

It's useful to put that solution on the table, in order to discuss it; and therefore, in order to explain the reasons why a cheaper (or a totally free) solution would be more appropriate. Moreover, in order to show the reasons why the deconstruction option would be a relatively small change (player don't even immediately benefit from it! they still need to champ their characters first) while still doing great for players' morale.

That being said, I can also understand why D3 would feel the need to monetize the deconstruction option.

But I also believe that the further benefits should be enough to justify a totally free deconstruction option (=less issues, tickets and drama for cs; no color swap option, but only the possibility to use the covers AFTER the player has champed the character; way less frustration for players, etc.).

Maybe the color swap option could come with some sort of fee (cp or hp), while the deconstruction option could be entirely free.
  • Yeah this situation is **** and needs to be rectified in some way immediately. I have thrown away countless useful 4 star covers from legendary pulls at this point, mostly red Deadpools coming to mind. Now the most egregious situation is that I am sitting on a 5/5/2 XForce Wolverine that I have pulled a black cover for as well as one for Patch, which through champion levels will yield me a green cover as soon as I apply it. Needless to say this lack of a yellow cover being the only thing stopping me from championing my first 4 star and wasting two covers that are not exactly easy to come by pisses me off just a bit. Perhaps if you really needed one particular cover and it gives you the ability to purchase it in command points, maybe command points should be available to purchase? I don't see myself achieving 120 before my covers expire.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Imbatman wrote:
    Yeah this situation is **** and needs to be rectified in some way immediately. I have thrown away countless useful 4 star covers from legendary pulls at this point, mostly red Deadpools coming to mind. Now the most egregious situation is that I am sitting on a 5/5/2 XForce Wolverine that I have pulled a black cover for as well as one for Patch, which through champion levels will yield me a green cover as soon as I apply it. Needless to say this lack of a yellow cover being the only thing stopping me from championing my first 4 star and wasting two covers that are not exactly easy to come by pisses me off just a bit. Perhaps if you really needed one particular cover and it gives you the ability to purchase it in command points, maybe command points should be available to purchase? I don't see myself achieving 120 before my covers expire.

I am in a similar situation, both my Miles and Gwen have 12 covers, need one yellow more each and have two unusable covers each that are about to expire. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Right, the I need to purchase additional slots for multiple characters. None of that requires destroying the slot itself.
  • DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    i have had a 1/1/5 Hulkbuster for a long time. just got my second red from the current event and i noticed i had enough CP to pull a classic legendary. i go for it (because i have no impulse control) and i get my 6th HB blue....

i was so excited when i saw the icon and so disappointed when i saw the color.

going to hold onto this thing for as long as i can and hope that some solution is made available before it expires....
  • I also agree 110%. I have been playing a little over 600 days and this issue is unquestionably the most frustrating aspect of my MPQ experience.

I have needed to sell no fewer than 20 duplicate four star covers. Except perhaps for being bumped at the last second from a desired reward, nothing is more disappointing then working hard to earn an LT only to pull an unusable duplicate. The 1,000 ISO is totally inappropriate for the effort especially when it takes 120 CP to buy a cover.

I understand this game is a business and allowing this "fix" would cost d3 money but, after reading every post in this thread, not addressing this frustration will cost them more in losing players who quit in frustration.

I also realize that since nothing has been done so far despite the volume of posts on this topic, d3 either doesn't care or can't figure out a solution.
    I like the original solution but would also support an inner alliance trade option (any 4* for another 4*, for example) or even some cost-based system. I'm new to the forum but would like to do what I can to up the noise level on this subject and will appreciate suggestions.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    I have also a useless icon_professorx.pngyellowtile.png in my queue so I could really use option to change it's color.

But the simplest solution would be that code checks if user already have that cover maxed and then simply does not give that cover but something else instead. Problem solved!
  • Crowl
    Sigh, I have zero usable 5* characters and a single one of the 30 powers is maxed at 5, so of course I pull my 6th blue spidey cover. Oh well, I have a whole 14 days to get another 6 unduped covers for that character to avoid it being a waste. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Just pulled the 8th green cover for my 5/5/2 X23 and I'd really like to not have to keep flushing command points down the toilet for no progress made.
  • ruyen
    ruyen Posts: 60 Match Maker
    This is a no-brainer that all players would love. Especially if you only pull one cover of a 5*, which are already steadily getting harder and harder (Classic dilution) to get specific covers for.

Forum admins:
    For some reason I can't give the OP a thumbs-up, so I'll just have to do it to all the posts below it.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fun fact: Since champing Surfer, I pulled 5 more covers of him - ALL RED.
    So that would have been 10K ISO before RNG allowed me to champ the guy.

A resolution to this would be really nice.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII wrote:
    Just pulled the 8th green cover for my 5/5/2 X23 and I'd really like to not have to keep flushing command points down the toilet for no progress made.

5 days later and I have gotten a blue cover for my 4/5/3 Iceman and this morning I opened an end of the season Heroic 10 pack and it had two four star covers; a green cover for my 4/2/5 War Machine and yellow cover for my 3/5/4 Mr Fantastic. The random numbers love to mock me.
  • HaywireII
    Today brings the 8th yellow cover for the 5/4/2 Sam Wilson Captain America. Brings me to five unusable 4* covers in the queue although there's a chance that Iceman will get saved if I hit 900 in Earth's Mightiest. The others are pretty much mathematically impossible to be anything other than 1000 ISO.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have 0 useable 4 stars and there are 39 now.

I really don't appreciate winning my first legendaries from vaults and having BOTH become 2 of the 3 powers I have maxed out of the 114 available.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Bump. This still needs to be talked about.
  • seraphiel
    seraphiel Posts: 56 Match Maker
    My (hopefully temporary) solution has been to stop opening anything but * and ** tokens, and vault tokens where the vault doesn't contain any **** that would be presently unusable. This way I can focus on getting iso8.png and trying to level everyone as much as possible.

I've ended up accumulating plenty of LTs and CPs in the meantime, as well as getting some specific ****s from progressions, etc. Every now and then I'll get a **** something from the low-level tokens but it's been at a sufficiently infrequent interval that I can deal with it (such as my just-recently-championed Nick Fury).

It's not great for progression, but I prefer this to having my queue clogged up with stuff I can't use. The current situation leaves me with a heavy disincentive toward opening any LTs (17 and counting) or using CPs (currently 425+).
  • Crowl
    It is sad that such an approach is the optimal strategy for people at times, it is just such an odd idea that players should avoid taking token rewards they have earned to avoid wasting covers.
  • ruyen
    ruyen Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Yep, hoarding now too.

I was going to use all my CP before Banner moved to Classics, but there was no notice or warning so I'm just hoarding until I have a ton of ISO to spend on whatever I pull. Would love to be able to convert your 6th+ covers into needed colors and don't see why this would hurt the game much. When you're comfortably in 4*-5* land, the covers come eventually to why not let us convert them? The main progression block is ISO anyway.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    For 4-stars buying additional cover is 120 CP right? How about if you could at least change your cover to other color with reduced price? (Say, for 40 CP ie third of the price?)
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sees thread post date.

Sees today's date.

Yeah, they're never going to fix this issue.