Unusable covers for characters at less than 13 covers

Options
Dayv
Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
So my Ant-Man is at 5/1/5. Any Ant-Man cover I get is twice as likely to be wasted as it is to increase that precious blue power.

One of the stated goals of the new Championing feature (which is honestly pretty exciting) is to make sure that no cover is ever wasted, but that's only true for the subset of characters players have at max level. And you can't even *get* to max level if you don't first get a viable 13 cover build.

So here's my suggestion: expand (or really, sort of duplicate and invert) the function of the existing respec UI (when applying a cover for a power at less than 5 to a character already at 13 covers) to allow a sixth cover of a power already at 5 to be applied to any power not yet at 5 covers instead.

For my Ant-Man example, if I hit "train" on a purple or yellow Ant-Man cover, it could offer me the option to increase blue instead.

Or for my 5/2/2 X-Force Deadpool, if I pull a red cover, it could offer me the choice to train purple or black.

This doesn't solve the issue of pulling a >13th cover for someone not yet ISO maxed, but at least then you can sit the cover in your queue while you try to level-max the character to champion them. If I pull a purple or yellow Ant-Man cover right now, I have to spend 5000 HP (prices are in CP now, but the point stands) *plus* a boatload of ISO to be able to champion him before it expires.

Comments

• mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would love to see something like this at least for 4* and 5* characters. The covers for those characters are much rarer than 3* characters and I hate to sell my 4* covers for just 1000 ISO. With legendary tokens the process of obtaining 4* covers is so much more random situations like this are particularly annoying.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    YES. PLEASE implement this feature.

I did the math once, and it turned out 20-25% of all the 4* covers I've ever earned/pulled (besides purchasing them with HP) have been in colors I already had 5 in. Bad luck, but 2 years in and my X-Force is only 2/5/2--I've pulled 4 extra black covers. 3 extra Fury Blues, a 6th HB red the day after I bought the 5th, etc etc.

It'd be super easy to implement in UI. The level up UI already shows a button to level up with a cover of the power-specific color. It could show the other (6th) color instead.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I back this idea 110%. It really didn't feel good opening 4 LTs in a row to see 2 Green Carnage covers and 2 Blue Fury covers when they were 1/3/5 and 3/5/0 respectively. Those two colors were only 2 of 5 4* covers I actually had at 5.
  • I too would like to see this implemented.

However, might championing the level below also be a way to alleviate this? There might be 2 or 3 star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters that could yield your Ant Man Blue if championed sufficient times. Some forward planning on championing might give people their way to manage their unbalanced 4*s. Guess we'll start to find out tonight when numbers and rewards become public information.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My 5/2/5 Antman, who is staring at the 2 purple Antman covers in my queue, wholeheartedly agrees with this.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    tanis3303 wrote:
    My 5/2/5 Antman, who is staring at the 2 purple Antman covers in my queue, wholeheartedly agrees with this.

I feel your pain. I had to sell 2 purple Antman covers last month for my 5/0/2.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If I pull one more am pink, kp pink, carnage red, etc etc etc I will be unhappy! Plus then it sits in my rewards queue for 14 days in the hopes that I'll win the right cover soon, so I can't do "sell all" any more and need to individually sell every 1* cover I win.
  • Dayv
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    So here's my suggestion: expand (or really, sort of duplicate and invert) the function of the existing respec UI (when applying a cover for a power at less than 5 to a character already at 13 covers) to allow a sixth cover of a power already at 5 to be applied to any power not yet at 5 covers instead.

For my Ant-Man example, if I hit "train" on a purple or yellow Ant-Man cover, it will offer me the option to increase blue instead.

Or for my 5/2/2 X-Force Deadpool, if I pull a red cover, it will offer me the choice to train purple or black.
    Other options:

Apply it to a <5 cover power at random.

Apply it automatically to the lowest-covered color.
  • Dayv
    Options
    If they could get this into the next patch, that would be great.

SQ90FW4.jpg
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    While I am not currently on your guys level of 4* I completely agree that something like this should be implemented. Hopefully by the time I transition out of 3* land this will be available because it would be a huge help when the rng gods are not in your favor
  • Bezob
    Bezob Posts: 2
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This is hurting your game probably more than you realize. Two of my last 3 Legendary covers that I've obtained via 25 command points have yielded Invisible Woman Blue. My only 4* with 5 covers in an ability. There are 6 or 7 4*'s I've never seen at all. But having to sell those two covers after grinding the command points really sucks my will to put more effort and money into this game. I understand probability, but my disappointment at having pulled those two IW covers is an order of magnitude greater than the joy I would have felt at pulling a new 4* character.

Edit: Didn't think it was possible, but I pulled ANOTHER IW BLUE COVER today. 3 days after the last one. Only 1 or 2 other legendary covers opened between the two. ABSOLUTELY MADDENING!
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We should be able to use our 6th cover of a 4* to level that 4* up one. At least then we're getting a value of around 3000 ISO for that cover instead of just a measly 1000, considering how much work it is to get those LTs and 4*s.

No need to do that for 1s, 2s or 3s, as those are relatively easy to come by. Even if you need a specific 3* cover, you'll eventually get it on DDQ. But there's never any guarantee that you'll get the 4* cover you need to make it fully covered. You might need to wait for years, praying to rngesus every morning and night.

No need to do that for 5s either because if you already have five covers of a 5* color, then I will not cry any tears for you.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Championing has already introduced what could be a viable alternative for extra unusable covers - even for characters with 13 covers who aren't at max level.

Allow us to use a cover for a character to:
    1 - sell for ISO
    2 - train the indicated caracter's power +1
    3 - train the indicated character +1 level. I assert this functionality should be turned on for all characters regardless of coverage or level.

For example:
    If I have an Ant-Man covered 3/5/4 leveled to 170 - and I draw a yellow cover I should be able to:
    1 - sell the cover for 1k iso
    2 - train the yellow ability - now Ant-Man is 3/5/5
    3 - use the cover to instead raise Ant-Man to level 171.
  • Dayv
    Options
    Added this to the index of "hot" suggestions. It went green pretty quickly, but didn't make it into the index and had fallen off the radar.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm surprised they didn't just implement this with championing.

Champion needs 113 covers...it doesn't care which order you get them in. EXCEPT the first thirteen now, for some reason.

Every token should simply be "Character cover!", and let you add it wherever you want. Sure, folks will build their characters in a 5/0/5 configuration with the first 10 covers...but they'll also be way under-covered and under-leveled compared to a thirteen cover character.
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I only have one star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png with a maxed out color ( yellowflag.pngicon_invisiblewoman.png ) but I can see how this is already a problem for some and will be for me in the future.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Every token should simply be "Character cover!", and let you add it wherever you want. Sure, folks will build their characters in a 5/0/5 configuration with the first 10 covers...but they'll also be way under-covered and under-leveled compared to a thirteen cover character.

That would be the ideal for the players, but if they wanted to keep some randomness in the system just to bug us then they could lock that functionality behind getting 5 covers in a single colour, once you get those 5 then all covers of that colour would just be covers.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    took me a little while to warm to this idea. I figured it would accelerate transitions too fast, but now that it will hit home on my OML for the next red I pull, I can relate. would love it if my next red could be transferred to yellow for my 2/-/5 logan. rng blows!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would be satisfied if they added a "disassemble" option to characters. This way when you get a cover you can't use right now, roster a dupe, and then add it back when you champ the character, without having to beg for scraps from customer service.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    I would be satisfied if they added a "disassemble" option to characters. This way when you get a cover you can't use right now, roster a dupe, and then add it back when you champ the character, without having to beg for scraps from customer service.
    I think we've figured out the "account requirements" to merge 2 player accounts, but I still don't think we know what the requirements are for dupe deconstruct. i know its not spending money because some spenders were declined. if they just opened that up to everyone, they'd encourage some extra hp spending for dupe slots and keep the players happy in the meantime.