Patch Notes - R91 (01/05/16)

Options

Comments

• Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I approve of the idea of giving us more decisions to make, because it makes the gameplay richer.
    [/quote]

2) But new players without 113 3* covers are now going to be completely shut out of PvP after a few months. The difference between a 266 3* cyc and a 120 3*colossus (my first fully covered 3* just due to the way tokens fell) will become insurmountable. It won't be enough anymore to grow your roster, you'll have to grow the "best" characters only. No more breadth due to exacerbated ISO shortages. No ability to hit 800 due to tougher competition. Forget 1000 for any help with 4* transition. Etc. etc. etc.

In the short-term, I think this feature will be fun, but I also think it makes everything that's bad about MPQ worse via exaggerated disparity between already-there players and transitioning players.[/quote]

I'm with you here. I'm in the exact same position as you, only one tier higher. I've got one max-covered 4*, 0 max-leveled 4*'s, and competing in PvP against 270's and 350's is increasingly difficult. One of the ongoing issues with MPQ is the qhestion of whether players at every level can consistently attain the rewards they need to progress in a competitive environment where the gap between top tier and bottom tier is constantly growing.

Where championing helps with this in a big way is by offering an alternate path to rewards. By championing your maxed characters, you get access to covers and tokens that may be increasingly difficult to earn competitively. And you end up with stronger characters, which might help you compete.

That's the ideal outcome - a feature that helps everyone, but helps 2* rosters faster than it helps 3* rosters, and 3* rosters faster than it helps 4* rosters.

But championing's not gonna do it on its own, and only time will tell if it has that effect, or whether more adjustments to rewards need to be made.
  • People act like you get nothing for maxing out a character's level. They get stronger when you level them. It's not impossible to do, either, as my dozen+ maxed 3*s will attest.
    It's not about "right now", it's about being able to attain rewards that are useful to you as a player. As Bryan wrote, it certainly appears to help 2* rosters more than 3* more than 4* (due to frequency of covers), but I'm not so sure it will actually work out that way because now all the big fish will be competing for 3* covers that will prevent those championed 2* rosters from ever transitioning to 3*, or 3*->4*. As I said, I think it will just make everything worse in terms of being able to get what you need to progress.

Yeah, it helps a 2* player. But it encourages a 4* player to develop his 3* roster even more, making the 2*'s transition even harder because his championed 2*s still can't compete with 4*s or championed 3*s. It seems like more have/havenot division. Maybe it will be a year or so and then all the big fish will be fully championed and back to letting transitioners earn 3* and 4* covers, but I'm concerned. Hopefully there will be other changes to matching, brackets, rewards, etc. that will allow reasonable progress to continue.
  • Killjoy00
    Killjoy00 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    When is this going live!!!!!!!
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When will update download?
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Fanning the fire, WHEN WILL THE CHAMPIONING UPDATE ROLL OUT?!?
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,225 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LordXberk wrote:
    Fanning the fire, WHEN WILL THE CHAMPIONING UPDATE ROLL OUT?!?

guessing mid jan
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hope it's soon! I feel like this will work fine for most people. Are your characters not max leveled yet? Go ahead and level them up! Plus I don't even play all that much and I gain huge amounts of 2* and 3* covers all the time, so I'm sure lots of my champions will be leveling up quickly, and I'll gain lots of cool prizes, and it'll be great and then I'll somehow make a lot of money and retire early.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It'd better come out before the next PvP. With the passive bug still there, EotS is pretty much unplayable.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    R91 is live on Steam.
    For the championing I don't know when
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,225 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:
    R91 is live on Steam.

must hit around 2pm est
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:
    R91 is live on Steam.

The update is in but the champion option isn't?

That would suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Updated to r91 here (steam user) and I can confirm that the champion feature isn't live yet.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Exactly right. Too many people want things right this second. This game isn't designed to give you things instantly, if you cant handle that, its probably best to play a different game.
    my emphasis added...
    But it is designed to allow you to take things instantly. And those who do are further ahead than those who don't. I don't see how this feature helps close that gap.

Unless you're able to champion the best characters from each tier instantly, you'll only fall further behind as the top players distance themselves with the characters they're already using to place said distance from the rest of the pack
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    donietsche wrote:
    Updated to r91 here (steam user) and I can confirm that the champion feature isn't live yet.

Yuck. So then yeah, would be nice if the devs announced when this goes live.

I (stupidly) assumed no date meant it was coming with the update. Hopefully it's not next season, 9 days is an eternity.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm hoping they're just waiting for all platforms to get the update before sending out the code packet that turns it on...
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    I'm hoping they're just waiting for all platforms to get the update before sending out the code packet that turns it on...

It has to switch on at the same time for everybody, otherwise people who got the patch early would be fielding teams of cap-broken champions against people stuck at 94/166/270 and the anger, while hilarious, would be entirely justified.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:
    R91 is live on Steam.

I'd assume they'd keep something like that locked till all platforms are updated
  • Boommike
    Boommike Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There are some more really exciting UI changes to Steam again. Some color changes to the character screens.

That's..... something.

"UI changes, huh? That sure would be cool." -Every mobile user

...Oh wait. You said color changes. So nothing about functionality. Maybe nevermind then
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

It has to switch on at the same time for everybody, otherwise people who got the patch early would be fielding teams of cap-broken champions against people stuck at 94/166/270 and the anger, while hilarious, would be entirely justified.

More specifically, people who got the patch early would be fielding teams that contained characters that pre-patch software wouldn't recognize as valid, and everything would go kerflooey. And I'm not sure they have the ability to force a patch on all platforms, so they probably need to give it a week or so such that the majority (if not all) of the players on all platforms have updated.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    edited January 2016
    Options
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    More specifically, people who got the patch early would be fielding teams that contained characters that pre-patch software wouldn't recognize as valid, and everything would go kerflooey.

All characters have levels up to 395 built now (see: PvE/Gauntlet). I assume all the additional levels (even 5* up to 550) are already in the game, just not the reward structure.