Patch Notes - R91 (01/05/16)

Options

Comments

• Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Out of the blue and into the black.

Ah geez, I'm legitimately guessing here:

The idiom "Out of the blue" is the same as "a bolt from the blue" (both mean something surprising or unexpected), so the clue could be "bolt" and "black" - which gives us Black Bolt.

It's pretty obvious they're adding Neil Young into the game.
  • Orti
    Orti Posts: 20
    Options
    Can we please get a date for R91?
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I almost don't want it to be Black Bolt because I'm about to go on vacation for two weeks...but I still kinda hope it is him.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Options
    Why not just take it at absolutely face value?

Out of the blue (suit) and into a black (suit)?
    Black spidey.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    rkd80 wrote:

Black spidey.

Despide the huge popularity, another Spidey would be too much. We already have 4 versions of Spiderman (from star.png to star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png ). With another one, it would be more than Wolverine.
  • Marvelfamily
    Options
    Uh oh, a "new game mechanic" sounds like "easier pressing train button" ^^ I hope it's not gonna crash too much on how to play the game overall. *a little bit panic comes up* icon_eek.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_mrgreen.gif
  • D4Ni13 wrote:
    rkd80 wrote:

Black spidey, plus it aligns with the previous data mine.

Despide the huge popularity, another Spidey would be too much. We already have 4 versions of Spiderman (from star.png to star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png ). With another one, it would be more than Wolverine.

Unless you count X-23 Wolverine, then there'd be 5 Wolverines. (7 if you count Dakens, one at least is "Dark Avengers Wolverine")

And if you don't count X-23, then we only have 3 Peter Parkers, so a 4th would work. Ish.
  • rollx
    rollx Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    Could today be the day we get our answers!?! icon_e_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_question.gif
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    D4Ni13 wrote:
    rkd80 wrote:

Black spidey, plus it aligns with the previous data mine.

Unless you count X-23 Wolverine, then there'd be 5 Wolverines. (7 if you count Dakens, one at least is "Dark Avengers Wolverine")

And if you don't count X-23, then we only have 3 Peter Parkers, so a 4th would work. Ish.

And seeing as how there was a comic run recently called Wolverines, and Mystique was one of the Wolverines (I think), you can add her to the list of Wolverines. Other "Wolverines" in that series were Daken, Sabertooth, X-23, Lady Deathstrike, and some other random dudes.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be another Spider? They specifically said "no more mutants for awhile, we want to go in a different direction", or whatever........
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spider-verse is quite popular among comic readers now, and Marvel is really pushing their all-new all-different titles. I won't be surprised if it's someone from either range of comics.
  • LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    the Prowler is currently playing a huge role in the current Amazing Spider-Man book, but my top choices would be a Norman Osborn Green Goblin or Doc Ock Superior Spider-Man
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are a few more options from the Spider-Man franchise. Of course a 4* Spider Man would seem appropriate, particularly since the 3* Spider Man is so meh. It would nice to be able to play Spider Man, you know?

But there's also always Spider-Woman. Heck, there are, what, three of them in the mainstream Marvel Universe and two more prominant ones from other universes? Jessica Drew (the "raised by the High Evolutionary" Spider Woman,) then Julia Carpenter (Spider-Woman from when I collected comics - she inspired Spider-Man's black costume in fact,) then some other one from past my time.

Then from alternate universes, we have another Jessica Drew (a clone of the Ultimate universe's Peter Parker,) and Gwen Stacey (from a universe where she was bit by the spider instead of Peter. In the "Paralell universe thing" she failed to save Peter Parker's life...) I know part of the recent Secret Wars thing was to condense the Marvel Universe, did they import either of those two? I know "Spider Gwen" was popular enough to get her own comic title...
  • notamutant
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    There are a few more options from the Spider-Man franchise. Of course a 4* Spider Man would seem appropriate, particularly since the 3* Spider Man is so meh. It would nice to be able to play Spider Man, you know?

But there's also always Spider-Woman. Heck, there are, what, three of them in the mainstream Marvel Universe and two more prominant ones from other universes? Jessica Drew (the "raised by the High Evolutionary" Spider Woman,) then Julia Carpenter (Spider-Woman from when I collected comics - she inspired Spider-Man's black costume in fact,) then some other one from past my time.

Then from alternate universes, we have another Jessica Drew (a clone of the Ultimate universe's Peter Parker,) and Gwen Stacey (from a universe where she was bit by the spider instead of Peter. In the "Paralell universe thing" she failed to save Peter Parker's life...) I know part of the recent Secret Wars thing was to condense the Marvel Universe, did they import either of those two? I know "Spider Gwen" was popular enough to get her own comic title...

None of those guys have a black costume. Focus on the clues and not just random possibilities. From what I have seen here, the only ones that make sense would be Black Bolt or Black Suit Spidey, and I am going more with Black Suit Spidey because of the recent string of Spider-Man related releases.
  • Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Options
    notamutant wrote:

None of those guys have a black costume. Focus on the clues and not just random possibilities. From what I have seen here, the only ones that make sense would be Black Bolt or Black Suit Spidey, and I am going more with Black Suit Spidey because of the recent string of Spider-Man related releases.

The clue was out of the blue and into black. That doesn't necessarily mean it is connected to costume colour.

It could be a common idiom to mean suddenly, blue is commonly use to represent the sea. The earth is known as the blue planet. Space the black void. There are many interpretations that may apply to those characters beyound costume colour.

Nova could fit that. Blue energy, black helmet too. Not saying it is just that there are multiple interpretations.

Edit: interestingly did you know the Latin for out of the blue is ex nihilo....
  • notamutant
    Options
    Blergh wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

The clue was out of the blue and into black. That doesn't necessarily mean it is connected to costume colour.

It could be a common idiom to mean suddenly, blue is commonly use to represent the sea. The earth is known as the blue planet. Space the black void. There are many interpretations that may apply to those characters beyound costume colour.

Nova could fit that. Blue energy, black helmet too. Not saying it is just that there are multiple interpretations.

Edit: interestingly did you know the Latin for out of the blue is ex nihilo....

Nova could also work. But most of their "clues" are not usually that deep. I always find so many of these guesses to just make no sense based on the clues. Like how does Doc Oc relate to the clue? A guess on the character should be based on the clue, and/or current trends with character releases, and/or current promotions Marvel is running. Sometimes it is a bit random like Ghost Rider though. If we didn't know about him from leaks, I doubt anyone would've guessed the devil is in the details meaning Ghost Rider, even though he is one of the few demonic characters.

The R90 clue was "two rivals appear, locked in a battle of strength, speed and agility." Spider-Man and Venom.

The R88 clue was "the devil is in the details." That was Ghost Rider.

The R85 clues were "Healing. Seeing. These things must not be taken for granted." That was OML.

"When a man becomes that which he hates..." That was Red Hulk.

R82 was "Expanding mind and body to protect family..." That was Mr. F.

Yes, some of them are cryptic, but they aren't usually that deep that they will try to throw out phrases that can be translated to Latin for the characters name. And Ex Nihilo doesn't precisely translate to out of the blue, rather out of nothing, mainly referring to creation of something from nothing. Not from blue to black. If anything, it would make more sense to say from black to blue to signify creation of something from nothing. And I really doubt they would add that character now given the timing.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Please just announce the feature already. I'm so tired of hoarding characters and waiting for a red name to appear somewhere.
  • notamutant
    Options
    Please just announce the feature already. I'm so tired of hoarding characters and waiting for a red name to appear somewhere.

I doubt we will hear anything until Monday. I already have 40+ 3 stars saved up in my que and 8 legendary tokens.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Options
    notamutant wrote:

I doubt we will hear anything until Monday. I already have 40+ 3 stars saved up in my que and 8 legendary tokens.

I don't have nearly as many LTs, but about 85 3*/4* that I'm just sitting on. I'm just getting anxious because I haven't seen a red name on the MtGPQ forums either after promising content releases nearly 2 weeks ago.
  • drcassino
    drcassino Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    notamutant wrote:

I don't have nearly as many LTs, but about 85 3*/4* that I'm just sitting on. I'm just getting anxious because I haven't seen a red name on the MtGPQ forums either after promising content releases nearly 2 weeks ago.

Winter Holidays: we have to cut them some slack. If we don't hear anything by Tuesday or so, then I'd get worried.