(Known Issue) Game force close in Galactus

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    The essential cyclops excuse is sad. They already made him the essential for the SIM, no reason they had to do it again.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy wrote:
    The essential cyclops excuse is sad. They already made him the essential for the SIM, no reason they had to do it again.

Actually, it was a much much better option than having Reed, who was the 4* prize in Sim, anyone without reed, a fairly new char, would be up in arms.. at least by using the new Cyc, this is the 3rd event in a row where chances to pull him from a token have been boosted, so many more people have him, and have a chance to get him as the event goes on.
  • Two of us from my alliance had this issue.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just got a Galactus token as compensation for this.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    *rolls eyes at Galactus token*

Completely not surprised.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Just got a Galactus token as compensation for this.

So, instead of roughly 22000 points towards Galactus, a reward for beating the BP node and a reward for beating Galactus, I get... a 2* Bullseye. Fan-farking-tastic.

How hard is it to give the rewards to the people who were affected? Not that hard. Here, I'll psuedo-code it out for you as a python script:
    //Get list of players who have BP, and have joined the Galactus Event
    sql = """
       SELECT
          p.id,    -- (player's unique ID)
          e.stage  -- (whatever the stage is for galactus)
       FROM
          players p    -- The players Database table
          JOIN events e     -- The DB table that keeps track of events
             ON p.id = e.player_id
             AND e.event = 'galactus2'  -- Whatever the event name or ID is in that table
          JOIN roster r     -- The table that keeps track of what cards you have in your roster
             ON p.id = r.player_id
             AND r.card_id = %BLACK_PANTHER%  -- whatever BP's id/name is
    """
    cursor.execute(sql)
    for playerId, stage in cursor:
       add_sub_node_reward(playerId, stage, BP_NODE_ID).  # call the same function that gets called when you beat the BP node
       add_main_node_reward(playerId, stage, GALACTUS_NODE_ID) # Same as above, but got Galactus

And if that is too simplistic, you can go through that loop and just give those people a galactus/anniversary token, some ISO, and the Galactus points instead.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Wow. People. That's all I can say about the recent posts. Just.. Wow. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Wow. People. That's all I can say about the recent posts. Just.. Wow. icon_rolleyes.gif

The hard thing about receiving what amounts to lottery tickets as compensation is you're always going to have people who win, and are thus elated, and people who lose, and are thus frustrated.

When you feel like you've lost something of value (progression, various rewards), and you receive something potentially (and sometimes in reality) worth more than you lost (A 3*? A 4*? A 5* hero?), you're bound to feel like you did OK or even great, alleviating most if not all of your previous feelings of frustration.

When you feel like you lost something of value (progression, various rewards), and you receive something potentially (and often in reality) worth virtually nothing (2* hero, or 250ISO more accurately), you're bound to get even more frustrated.

While I guess I could tell others to put on a happy face and just feel glad for everyone else who had better luck than them, it's kind of hard for me to pretend I don't understand or empathize with the frustration in a situation that is this straight forward.

Every time we get tokens for compensation, this is the result, and it's far from surprising.

DBC
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    And this is why I prefer to stay a f2p player. No investment means no true life-shattering disappointment. I just say to myself: it's just a game. I may whine a lil (1k progression was my only true whine), but I don't get abusive over it. That's just silly.

Edit: I also missed out on that node. Thus missing out on points. My token gave me a moonstone. But I just chalk it up to the whimsy of RNGesus. I'm not gonna cuss out devs over it.
  • And this is why I prefer to stay a f2p player. No investment means no true life-shattering disappointment. I just say to myself: it's just a game. I may whine a lil (1k progression was my only true whine), but I don't get abusive over it. That's just silly.

Edit: I also missed out on that node. Thus missing out on points. My token gave me a moonstone. But I just chalk it up to the whimsy of RNGesus. I'm not gonna cuss out devs over it.

Agreed. It's not worth me losing my mind either, but then I also haven't put $100s or even $1000s into the game, so like you, my expectations are far lower than many on the forum. icon_e_wink.gif

DBC
  • abmoraz
    edited October 2015
    Wow. People. That's all I can say about the recent posts. Just.. Wow. icon_rolleyes.gif

The hard thing about receiving what amounts to lottery tickets as compensation is you're always going to have people who win, and are thus elated, and people who lose, and are thus frustrated.

And that's why I posted the pseudo-code that I did. It doesn't *HAVE* to be a lottery ticket. It's marginally more time and effort to actually reward people who were affected (instead of everyone) and to reward them more reasonably based on what they truly would have lost.

It's just really frustrating that this may prevent my alliance from getting red hulk. My alliance is 20 people. We all know each other in real life. We're on level 5 and we already have about 25% of the alliance who can't do Galactus at this level, and once he gets to level 6, we're down to about 3-4 that have the roster to combo him (players + covers + levels). Getting to level 6 fast so that those of us who can do it have an extra cycle to grind is imperative. Losing a node that everyone could do is painful.

We fell just short of getting the 4* Cyclops in the first run. Of the 20 people in our alliance, only 3 have gotten lucky enough to get him in packs, and only 1 of those is a strong player. So we're missing out on a bunch of opportunities. We were really grinding and trying hard to get it this time since we fell short last time.

BP is one of the cards just about everyone has. Missing that node at this level of Galactus:
    18 players * 1,600 points = 28,800 (we have 2 lazy players, but I conservatively estimate that 18/20 would've beaten that node)
    10 players * 20,320 points = 203,200 (about half would've then beaten galactus at this level)
    8 players * 5,000 points = 40,000 (the rest would've done some damage, then died)

So we lost out on roughly 275,000 points towards Red Hulk. That's way more important than any ISO or tokens.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Malcrof wrote:
    Actually, it was a much much better option than having Reed, who was the 4* prize in Sim, anyone without reed, a fairly new char, would be up in arms.. at least by using the new Cyc, this is the 3rd event in a row where chances to pull him from a token have been boosted, so many more people have him, and have a chance to get him as the event goes on.

"Chances" are just that though. I still think 4Clops ownership rate is pretty low compared to other 4 star release events.
    I've easily gotten over 20 of these "boost drop rate" tokens, and still no 4Clops or Red Hulk for me. The event is still going, so there's still hope.

When new characters are released via an Ultron/Galactus like event, they are much much harder to get even one cover of because you need your entire alliance to participate, and participate in a noticeable way. Because of this, it took me forever to get my first 1 Hulkbuster cover, and mine is still a tease at being barely useful at 2 4 1 Level 150. Mine is a pretty casual alliance, so most of the top end rewards are not even obtainable for me. However, we are already in Round 5 this go around, so maybe that first Red Hulk will be won...

Ever since the very welcome change where they adjusted the final progression of 4 star release PVE Events to be top 100 for the first 4 star cover, I have yet to miss one (which is why only just yesterday did I get my very first Kingpin cover because his was they last one that was still t50 for non-alliances). I guess at least I know (or at least assume anyway) that 4Clops won't be an essential for quite a while now, which should give me time to get one.

It's all perspective I suppose.
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    Non-BP node instances here.

Round 6. Program shut down immediately after the board loaded and before I made my first match on two different nodes, the Galactus node and the Gamora node.

edit.. note. Each time I was able to relaunch and load the node just fine, but all my characters took some health penalty over it. And that part is still rather frustrating.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't get any free tokens despite it crashing on me 3 times before I gave up and left it.

Any chance of sending it out to me ICE? IGN dreadpool8
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    could care less about the node reward or token. I would like the 20K+ pts toward progression I would have gotten. if somehow I end up 15K short on progression at the end, you bet I'm submitting a ticket and asking for consideration. with how things have gone so far, I doubt it will be an issue.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Malcrof wrote:
    smkspy wrote:

There was a lot more chance to win MRF than Cyclops. He's at least had his own PvP where people had a much better chance of pulling him, plus winning him in PvE is an individual effort (rather than counting on a good alliance showing), and not to mention legendary token pulls.

Best odds on pulling cyc in tokens hasn't been over 2% yet.
  • abmoraz
    Buret0 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    smkspy wrote:

There was a lot more chance to win MRF than Cyclops. He's at least had his own PvP where people had a much better chance of pulling him, plus winning him in PvE is an individual effort (rather than counting on a good alliance showing), and not to mention legendary token pulls.

Best odds on pulling cyc in tokens hasn't been over 2% yet.

Preach on. Malcrof has no idea what he is talking about. That being said, this is the exact same thing they did for Ultron and Hulkbuster. First Ultron Event: i didn't like. Server crashes, make it near impossible to get the reward card that you can only get there. Give out compensation that can in no way help you get that card. Then re-run the event again, where that reward card (which nearly no one could get) is required to even have a shot at the 4* reward. Without that card, you can only do 80% of the event, even your alliance-mates can't pick up the slack since the reward is alliance based, therefore none of them got it.

Ta-da! No one gets 4* cards... and they get to say "Well, you had a chance..." when you really never did.
    Mod Edit: Language
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    My casual alliance is going to be really close to getting our Red Hulk this round, but in the final three attempts we are going to need a lot of luck and participation from a crew that (by and large) does not have any cyclops covers (1/20 members of the alliance iirc).

If we get down to the last 200-400K and not get through, I hope we get the Hulk progression bonus awarded. If not, I'll be kicking myself for spending time with the family today and missing 4 clears during one of the 8 hour windows.

I'm also at 750K for personal progression in the event (pretty decent for getting all of those points in rounds 3-5). I think there's about 450K worth of points available to me in the last three clears, so I'll most certainly hit the legendary token progression.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    My casual alliance is going to be really close to getting our Red Hulk this round, but in the final three attempts we are going to need a lot of luck and participation from a crew that (by and large) does not have any cyclops covers (1/20 members of the alliance iirc).

If we get down to the last 200-400K and not get through, I hope we get the Hulk progression bonus awarded. If not, I'll be kicking myself for spending time with the family today and missing 4 clears during one of the 8 hour windows.

I'm also at 750K for personal progression in the event (pretty decent for getting all of those points in rounds 3-5). I think there's about 450K worth of points available to me in the last three clears, so I'll most certainly hit the legendary token progression.

real life is more important, especially with family, unless of course you hate them; then you are just an idiot for spending time with people that you hate or they hate you, miserable time for all.

you have 2 more reset to go i hope you guys can do it.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    On the grounds I am uk based and not getting up at 1am to get a legendary token... The fact that I am 11,000 short of the final progression when the black panther node cost me 16000 is galling.

Will be raising that as a specific ticket icon_e_wink.gif